2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

Sounds like a great group of wrxers!

Tell one of the new guys to tell Monte whatever he wants him to do feels weird, then relax and enjoy! If that has already been addressed, lol, tell a new guy Monte is a Pelz disciple (okay the poor guy or more likely me ends up with a 2 iron colonoscopy, so not smart)!

Enjoy!

This was literally me - "this feels really weird"

Where was my road map to avoiding Monte's wrath last summer?

Welcome to the party pal!

HaHa - extremely valuable teaching moment! After being introduced the year before as having the most stubborn golf swing in the history of golf, I figure somebody else can catch some!

It's almost a Helsinki Syndrome thing (two Die Hard references in one post is always a good thing) - can't tell you how many times I replay a vid from a clinic where I hit a shot (it's terrible, but the point is something is actually right) just to hear Monte's, "now we have a golf swing." Going to give it a listen now!

Smartest thing I did last year was have my daughter film Monte demonstrating a feel/drill that was a breakthrough for me and film me doing it right under Monte's direction and not taking the chance that I had "gotten it" because for a bit, it was obvious what I thought was getting it really wasn't.

Winter storm not getting me down with these clinic reports - keep them coming!

Winter blues have me down, I'm so sick of this winter!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Pro tip...

Instead of saying this feels weird, say: "wow thats different!" LMAO

This has always been my thought... Of course it feels weird you are trying to change a well established motor pattern. If what you have been doing was working so we'll why are you taking a lesson? You have to expect to experience the new/strange if you want a different result!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Just received the rarely heard “almost looks like you know what your doing” Monte compliment.

Things I’m working on: getting wrist flex in transition. I’m a handle-puller and I get wrist extension which causes me problems.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Just received the rarely heard “almost looks like you know what your doing” Monte compliment.

You should cherish this, because you’ve essentially peaked with Monte.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Finished up with the cliniic and I have some time to kill before flying out. My man ddelts recommended checking out Arizona Wilderness Brewing so I’m having an IPA reflecting on a great experience this weekend.

Even if I didn’t learn anything (I learned a lot) it was awesome because everyone was good people. Everyone I talked to young or old good player or bad player - everyone was good people. Can never meet enough good people.

Day one Monte films each persons swing and then all of us hit one by one in front of the entire group. The idea is to get us all feeling some pressure with the group watching so Monte can see us at our worst - that way we can clearly show our faults. First day we also do putting and short game.

So my flaw. This is interesting because when I first met Monte, 8 or so months ago, he we basically started from ground-zero. Monte had me change my grip, my posture, my address, my pivot - there was a lot going on. He had me work on all of that one by one never giving me too much to work on too quickly - I think he was trying to protect me from myself. Which brings me to this weekend.

My wrist angles were working a little wonky. At the top of the backswing I have some extension (cupping) in my left wrist which is okay but in transition that extension needs to go into flexion (think Rahm or DJ). Doing so helps shallow out the club and doing this move with a casting motion helps square the face. I haven’t really been doing any of that. I was actually getting into the habit of cupping my left wrist even more in transition. Doing that eats up space in the downswing and presents way too much loft to the ball at impact. My trajectory was crazy high if I made solid contact - if I ate up too much space coming down I’d shank the ball. Warming up Saturday morning I hit a good 10 or 12 shanks.

All Monte wants me to work on is this: in transition go into flexion and cast in order to shallow the club, present less loft at impact, maintain space to swing the club and control trajectory.

I was kind of getting the hang of it. This is what I’m calling my baby-shallow move. This was probably my best swing of the weekend and I got the wrist conditions to move kinda sorta the way I need to. Check it out:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

All the WRX’ers out there it was a pleasure meeting you all this weekend. Thanks to Monte and everyone else - great experience.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Great looking swing. I'm headed to his NOLA clinic next month. Protecting me from myself is futile.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Monte sending 3W

Love the commentary from Monte

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I’ve had a couple questions about how I practice, why I practice, when did I start, how long do improvements take ect... Let me try and clarify the journey I’ve been on in the hopes it helps someone reading this thread.

I got to a 4 handicap on my own - however ugly my swing I managed to make it work fairly well for a long time. My bad habits caught up to me and I totally lost my game - in the span of about 4 months I went from a 4 to a 12. I lost my game roughly 18 months ago.

I was either going to give up the game or take lessons - around this time I met Monte.

The changes have been pretty significant look at post #441 to see the progression. It seems like, to a certain degree, I’ve changed damn near everything.

So, more about me. I have a real job. I get to play on the weekend; during summer I try to play on Wednesday night for the men’s league at my CC. I don’t have 60 hours a week to play/practice like the guys on tour. I get to the club at sunrise on Sat/Sun and practice for 1 hour. This is what I would describe as intense-focus practice. I’m not hitting a lot of balls but I’m focusing as much as my brain can handle. Because of the multitude of changes I’ve had to make most of full-swing practice has been revolving around technical stuff - cleaning up my pivot, making sure my pressure shift is okay, monitoring my takeaway... I’ve just had so many damn changes to make that with my limited practice time I’m really truing up my technique. During my 1 hour practice sessions I’ll work 20 or 30 minutes on full swing. Lots of slow motion, lots of rehearsals, lots of shots where I’m swinging at 50% of my max.

After I move on to short game and putting. Try to work on each for 20 minutes or so - then I head in for breakfast with the guys.

I’ve had 4 one-on-one lessons with Monte + this clinic. The one-on-one lessons have been separated by several months each.

My progression has been ANYTHING but linear. I have days, weeks even, where I play like crap. Just recently I shot my all time best of 74. My journey has been a series of ups and downs. I shot 74 recently but the round before that was 84 or 83. To anyone who’s on a similar journey to myself - give yourself permission to play poorly. Give yourself permission to hit bad shots and understand that changes take time. Changes take A LOT longer than any of us would like so stay patient (I’m preaching to myself here). Permission to hit bad shots and permission to play like crap is something Monte taught us this weekend. This game is hard and not even the best hit it perfect.

Coming down from a 12 handicap to a 4 (where I’m at right now) happened somewhat quickly over the past 12 months but I’ve stagnated. With what Monte has me working on right now I’m excited to have another breakthrough and ultimately achieve my goal of having a 0.0 handicap.

As far as practicing goes what I’ve learned is I can’t really focus for much longer than 20 or 30 minutes. I’m better off focusing for 20 minutes and hitting only 20 balls than I am practicing for 60 minutes and hitting 100 balls. The quality of practice is imperative. And I’m not an expert either - I’m still figuring this stuff out. In the future I’d like to practice with more skill-based practice games but I’m still working to cleanup my technique.

I’ll be a happy camper if this thread offers encouragement to anyone else out there grinding to improve.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I noticed the Mods cleaned up my title. No curse words are allowed.

LOL, early this morning I had trouble finding the thread! What's wrong with "FUN" Phoenix?

I didn’t really curse. It was “f***”. See? It’s not even spelled out

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

LOL, early this morning I had trouble finding the thread! What's wrong with "FUN" Phoenix?

I didn't really curse. It was "f***". See? It's not even spelled out

From the Forum Rules,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Profanity, Harassment and Other Inappropriate Conduct- You may not submit Postings or Content that are indecent, profane (including masked profanity where symbols, initials, intentional misspellings or other characters are used to suggest profane language)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I didn't really curse. It was "f***". See? It's not even spelled out

From the Forum Rules,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Profanity, Harassment and Other Inappropriate Conduct- You may not submit Postings or Content that are indecent, profane (including masked profanity where symbols, initials, intentional misspellings or other characters are used to suggest profane language)

Duly noted.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Finished up with the cliniic and I have some time to kill before flying out. My man ddelts recommended checking out Arizona Wilderness Brewing so I’m having an IPA reflecting on a great experience this weekend.

Even if I didn’t learn anything (I learned a lot) it was awesome because everyone was good people. Everyone I talked to young or old good player or bad player - everyone was good people. Can never meet enough good people.

Day one Monte films each persons swing and then all of us hit one by one in front of the entire group. The idea is to get us all feeling some pressure with the group watching so Monte can see us at our worst - that way we can clearly show our faults. First day we also do putting and short game.

So my flaw. This is interesting because when I first met Monte, 8 or so months ago, he we basically started from ground-zero. Monte had me change my grip, my posture, my address, my pivot - there was a lot going on. He had me work on all of that one by one never giving me too much to work on too quickly - I think he was trying to protect me from myself. Which brings me to this weekend.

My wrist angles were working a little wonky. At the top of the backswing I have some extension (cupping) in my left wrist which is okay but in transition that extension needs to go into flexion (think Rahm or DJ). Doing so helps shallow out the club and doing this move with a casting motion helps square the face. I haven’t really been doing any of that. I was actually getting into the habit of cupping my left wrist even more in transition. Doing that eats up space in the downswing and presents way too much loft to the ball at impact. My trajectory was crazy high if I made solid contact - if I ate up too much space coming down I’d shank the ball. Warming up Saturday morning I hit a good 10 or 12 shanks.

All Monte wants me to work on is this: in transition go into flexion and cast in order to shallow the club, present less loft at impact, maintain space to swing the club and control trajectory.

I was kind of getting the hang of it. This is what I’m calling my baby-shallow move. This was probably my best swing of the weekend and I got the wrist conditions to move kinda sorta the way I need to. Check it out:

We've got a pretty similar story, more than I realized since I started following your thread. I too had to change my grip, and I was extending in the downswing. This caused me to flip to keep from hitting it high and right. I've been working with Monte for a little over 8 months now too. Albeit I did an online lesson with him like 4 years ago before I had my hip problems.

I like what you wrote in your subsequent post about practice. I wasn't doing a great job this past summer with practicing deliberately and making the most of my time.

Good luck on the journey to scratch! I'm hoping I'll be following you in that direction as soon as the snow is gone!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

You were so scooshie bro. A squamdow clinic

Achieving maximum Gucci is all it is, brohiem.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

You were so scooshie bro. A squamdow clinic

Achieving maximum Gucci is all it is, brohiem.

Water droplet, water droplet, water droplet.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Monte sending 3W

When I only hit one good three wood per quarter, it’s exciting when it happens.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Monte sending 3W

One "good" 3 wood per quarter would be worth quite a lot on the free market. Dont worry. Anyway, NOLA confirmed yet?

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Monte sending 3W

One "good" 3 wood per quarter would be worth quite a lot on the free market. Dont worry. Anyway, NOLA confirmed yet?

It’s on. Just working on a facility.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Finished up with the cliniic and I have some time to kill before flying out. My man ddelts recommended checking out Arizona Wilderness Brewing so I'm having an IPA reflecting on a great experience this weekend.

Even if I didn't learn anything (I learned a lot) it was awesome because everyone was good people. Everyone I talked to young or old good player or bad player - everyone was good people. Can never meet enough good people.

My wrist angles were working a little wonky. At the top of the backswing I have some extension (cupping) in my left wrist which is okay but in transition that extension needs to go into flexion (think Rahm or DJ). Doing so helps shallow out the club and doing this move with a casting motion helps square the face. I haven't really been doing any of that. I was actually getting into the habit of cupping my left wrist even more in transition. Doing that eats up space in the downswing and presents way too much loft to the ball at impact. My trajectory was crazy high if I made solid contact - if I ate up too much space coming down I'd shank the ball. Warming up Saturday morning I hit a good 10 or 12 shanks.

I was kind of getting the hang of it. This is what I'm calling my baby-shallow move. This was probably my best swing of the weekend and I got the wrist conditions to move kinda sorta the way I need to. Check it out:

[media=]

[/media]

That doesnt look like a 5HCP swing to me man. Nice move!

Ive had a couple questions about how I practice, why I practice, when did I start, how long do improvements take ect... Let me try and clarify the journey Ive been on in the hopes it helps someone reading this thread.

I got to a 4 handicap on my own - however ugly my swing I managed to make it work fairly well for a long time. My bad habits caught up to me and I totally lost my game - in the span of about 4 months I went from a 4 to a 12. I lost my game roughly 18 months ago.

I was either going to give up the game or take lessons - around this time I met Monte.

The changes have been pretty significant look at post #441 to see the progression. It seems like, to a certain degree, Ive changed damn near everything.

So, more about me. I have a real job. I get to play on the weekend; during summer I try to play on Wednesday night for the mens league at my CC. I dont have 60 hours a week to play/practice like the guys on tour. I get to the club at sunrise on Sat/Sun and practice for 1 hour. This is what I would describe as intense-focus practice. Im not hitting a lot of balls but Im focusing as much as my brain can handle. Because of the multitude of changes Ive had to make most of full-swing practice has been revolving around technical stuff - cleaning up my pivot, making sure my pressure shift is okay, monitoring my takeaway... Ive just had so many damn changes to make that with my limited practice time Im really truing up my technique. During my 1 hour practice sessions Ill work 20 or 30 minutes on full swing. Lots of slow motion, lots of rehearsals, lots of shots where Im swinging at 50% of my max.

After I move on to short game and putting. Try to work on each for 20 minutes or so - then I head in for breakfast with the guys.

Ive had 4 one-on-one lessons with Monte + this clinic. The one-on-one lessons have been separated by several months each.

My progression has been ANYTHING but linear. I have days, weeks even, where I play like crap. Just recently I shot my all time best of 74. My journey has been a series of ups and downs. I shot 74 recently but the round before that was 84 or 83. To anyone whos on a similar journey to myself - give yourself permission to play poorly. Give yourself permission to hit bad shots and understand that changes take time. Changes take A LOT longer than any of us would like so stay patient (Im preaching to myself here). Permission to hit bad shots and permission to play like crap is something Monte taught us this weekend. This game is hard and not even the best hit it perfect.

Coming down from a 12 handicap to a 4 (where Im at right now) happened somewhat quickly over the past 12 months but Ive stagnated. With what Monte has me working on right now Im excited to have another breakthrough and ultimately achieve my goal of having a 0.0 handicap.

As far as practicing goes what Ive learned is I cant really focus for much longer than 20 or 30 minutes. Im better off focusing for 20 minutes and hitting only 20 balls than I am practicing for 60 minutes and hitting 100 balls. The quality of practice is imperative. And Im not an expert either - Im still figuring this stuff out. In the future Id like to practice with more skill-based practice games but Im still working to cleanup my technique.

Ill be a happy camper if this thread offers encouragement to anyone else out there grinding to improve.

You may have lost your confidence. Usually it’s bulletproof when we start out. Then we tin cup it.

Good meeting you this weekend. Glad you could make it. In my opinion, each clinic gets a little better. Still the most impressive thing to me is how quickly he can spot an issue and give you a few ways to work on it.

If you ever find yourself in the Phoenix area again, hit me up. I’m also glad you called me venerable instead of venerial

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Broheim, flashbacks to Richie Cusack when meeting with Joey. So Cynthia was a no show at the clinic? Did your team win the contest?

Important details that the internet wants to know.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified