Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

How in the world is your proximity from 75-100 fairway at 8.5 feet and yet you've only hit 30% of greens from same distance/fairway.

Anomaly of only having 8 rounds?

Not sure. Maybe I entered some data incorrectly or maybe it's an anomaly or both.

The data might not mean much at this point with so few rounds.

It's interesting either way. Be really cool once you get more data put together.

Hardest part is staying motivated to track and record all my shots when playing poorly

People who have read his stuff will know who I am parroting, but this is a bit of a mental red flag. Playing poorly or bad shots are providing you with valuable feedback as to what you need to improve, especially if you are entering it into a stats package.

I know where you are coming from and it's because of how much you want it, but am I correct in guessing that you are pretty miserable after even an average but definitely a poor round?

It is something I have to improve a lot. If I play average I’m usually in a fine mental state. If I’m really playing poorly, like really bad, then I get down on myself and can get miserable.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It is something I have to improve a lot. If I play average I’m usually in a fine mental state. If I’m really playing poorly, like really bad, then I get down on myself and can get miserable.

IMO if you define playing poorly to yourself more specifically, you can probably get a better handle on your mental state during the round.

For instance, is playing poorly not scoring due to putting, or chipping ect.

Or is playing poorly hitting Word not allowed shots that don't go where you want, OR is it not being able to get off the tee box, ect ect.

Once you've defined it you can attack it.

Easy example is "I cant hit driver for anything today".... Put away driver!

Or "man I'm hitting everything thin and toey today" ... But if that's the miss your swing produces, accept you aren't on point that day, and play for it.

Lots of different ways to attack it. I really enjoy how Jim Waldron has talked about finding a "neutral" state about the result of your last shot.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

It is something I have to improve a lot. If I play average I'm usually in a fine mental state. If I'm really playing poorly, like really bad, then I get down on myself and can get miserable.

IMO if you define playing poorly to yourself more specifically, you can probably get a better handle on your mental state during the round.

For instance, is playing poorly not scoring due to putting, or chipping ect.

Or is playing poorly hitting Word not allowed shots that don't go where you want, OR is it not being able to get off the tee box, ect ect.

Once you've defined it you can attack it.

Easy example is "I cant hit driver for anything today".... Put away driver!

Or "man I'm hitting everything thin and toey today" ... But if that's the miss your swing produces, accept you aren't on point that day, and play for it.

Lots of different ways to attack it. I really enjoy how Jim Waldron has talked about finding a "neutral" state about the result of your last shot.

That's what I've been really trying to focus on lately.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Finally got to practice today after being out of town all week. Just working on cleaning up my pivot and focusing on what Dan and Monte have been trying to teach me.

Lead knee is in a better position. Right knee isn't firing quite as quick. Still feel like I'm either losing some hip-depth to start the downswing or the right side is still firing early or both. This move feels so weird - it'll take some time to get it to feel natural.

Also, I think I'm extending a bit early or something because my lower back is pretty sore right now.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Looks better after one session. backswing looks better, knees too in transition/downswing - especially the left - shall we start calling you Mr. Snead?, still have that nice transition and release - love that finish with right hand facing target line and left facing opposite. Folding chair be gone. lol. Does look like you might need a touch more motorcycle - club face looks open in downswing at shaft parallel. I know for me I can get away with not having as much in the short irons but it's really is noticeable with the driver - not enough motorcycle means blocks and in worse cases slices - something to consider.

Does look like you might need a touch more motorcycle - club face looks open in downswing at shaft parallel. I know for me I can get away with not having as much in the short irons but it's really is noticeable with the driver - not enough motorcycle means blocks and in worse cases slices - something to consider or ask Monte/iteach about.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

For giggles went back to your original posted swing. Flip (look at those hands in finish) to more Tyler's tour release.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

For giggles went back to your original posted swing. Flip (look at those hands in finish) to more Tyler's tour release.

I cringe looking back at that swing. Yikes.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Looks better after one session. backswing looks better, knees too in transition/downswing - especially the left - shall we start calling you Mr. Snead?, still have that nice transition and release - love that finish with right hand facing target line and left facing opposite. Folding chair be gone. lol. Does look like you might need a touch more motorcycle - club face looks open in downswing at shaft parallel. I know for me I can get away with not having as much in the short irons but it's really is noticeable with the driver - not enough motorcycle means blocks and in worse cases slices - something to consider.

Does look like you might need a touch more motorcycle - club face looks open in downswing at shaft parallel. I know for me I can get away with not having as much in the short irons but it's really is noticeable with the driver - not enough motorcycle means blocks and in worse cases slices - something to consider or ask Monte/iteach about.

Mr. Snead? I could only be so lucky :)

When I'm playing well my ball flight is a push draw. My typical miss, as you've suggested is either a block or a block fade so clubface control is still an issue. Interestingly enough yesterday I hit a ton of shots left - either straight pulls or pull draws which is unusual for me.

Guy, thanks for posting those stills. I've been thinking that I could be on the verge of a major breakthrough. Once I get this pivot cleaned up and playable I really feel like I'll be able to take a crack at getting to my goal of a 0.0 index.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Great progress! You actually look a little bit like Dan C. in that last pic :)

Brother from another mother, maybe ;)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

How in the world is your proximity from 75-100 fairway at 8.5 feet and yet you've only hit 30% of greens from same distance/fairway.

Anomaly of only having 8 rounds?

Not sure. Maybe I entered some data incorrectly or maybe it's an anomaly or both.

The data might not mean much at this point with so few rounds.

It's interesting either way. Be really cool once you get more data put together.

Hardest part is staying motivated to track and record all my shots when playing poorly

People who have read his stuff will know who I am parroting, but this is a bit of a mental red flag. Playing poorly or bad shots are providing you with valuable feedback as to what you need to improve, especially if you are entering it into a stats package.

^^^^THIS!!

It is so important view yourself detachedly in order to improve in this game. You have to almost become obsessed by it. Once you get enough data if you are consistently doing something more poorly than is your goal, get to work on fixing it.

When I set out to play this game as a 20-year-old, I looked at the pros and I watched them hit all kinds of shots. I was obsessed with the game. My goal was to be able to hit every shot with as much skill and consistency as Trevino and Chi Chi and Nicklaus and Seve and Woosnam and ... I didn't know any better. I figured it would be easy.

I could hit a 95 mile an hour fastball on the black. Why couldn't I learn to do anything I wanted to with a golf ball given enough understanding and reps?

But all along the way was a realistic assessment of my own game at any given time.

When I first started playing seriously, I could not keep the ball inbounds on certain "tough" driving holes. I knew, that if I wanted to play competitively, I had to learn to keep my ball in play off the tee.

So I went from hitting a high draw, to a low-cut literally overnight.

At least, the commitment to make the change in order to fix something that was wrong with my game was an overnight thing.

I am really interested to see how your stats develop. Make sure you enter every single round. Every single shot. It is tempting to fudge a little here and there, but the only person you are hurting is yourself when you do that. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Finally got to practice today after being out of town all week. Just working on cleaning up my pivot and focusing on what Dan and Monte have been trying to teach me.

Lead knee is in a better position. Right knee isn't firing quite as quick. Still feel like I'm either losing some hip-depth to start the downswing or the right side is still firing early or both. This move feels so weird - it'll take some time to get it to feel natural.

Also, I think I'm extending a bit early or something because my lower back is pretty sore right now.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome work so far!

Changes look really good.

Looks like you are setup way into your heels, with butt way out beyond them. Could be camera angle, could be true. If true that could relate to the back pains and feel of right hip firing to much.

Love the work so far!

Golfing Ginger

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome work so far!

Looks like you are setup way into your heels, with butt way out beyond them. Could be camera angle, could be true. If true that could relate to the back pains and feel of right hip firing to much.

Love the work so far!

Down the line I kind of screwed up the camera angle so that might have something to do with it. I played today and my back isn't sore at all. To your point about being set up in the heels - Idk - it's not something that I'm trying to do and overall I feel pretty balanced in the swing.... Not really sure.

I made a comment about losing depth - I think I'm actually gaining depth. Also, I think I'm getting my pelvis to work towards the target slightly while maintaining and/or gaining some depth which, as far as my understanding goes, is a good thing.

Unless someone can help clarify I'd say in these stills that hip and hand depth is looking good.

This AMG video has helped me think about how my hips are moving throughout the swing:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome work so far!

Love the work so far!

Down the line I kind of screwed up the camera angle so that might have something to do with it. I played today and my back isn't sore at all. To your point about being set up in the heels - Idk - it's not something that I'm trying to do and overall I feel pretty balanced in the swing.... Not really sure.

I made a comment about losing depth - I think I'm actually gaining depth. Also, I think I'm getting my pelvis to work towards the target slightly while maintaining and/or gaining some depth which, as far as my understanding goes, is a good thing.

Unless someone can help clarify I'd say in these stills that hip and hand depth is looking good.

This AMG video has helped me think about how my hips are moving throughout the swing:

Had a chance to look at the new video on something other than my phone.....

Didn't realize how open you were setup compared to the camera, that's really gonna make a difference on how the setup looks. You looked fine in the previous video too. If Dan didn't say anything about it, I'm sure its fine :-)

Hip rotation is looking really good. Amazing changes in such a short time! Keep up the great work!

Glad to hear the back wasn't sore.

Golfing Ginger

I played nine holes today for the first time in 2 months. Upper 50s. Nice wind out of the northeast. Then I pulled an ebramus21 by shooting a 38 and hitting only 3 girs. I had nothing. Nothing would be kind. But actually played the last hole legit but missed the 5 footer for bird. Plan to get out tomorrow too. Plan is to hit it like I did on the last hole today. Lol

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

^^^^THIS!!

It is so important view yourself detachedly in order to improve in this game. You have to almost become obsessed by it. Once you get enough data if you are consistently doing something more poorly than is your goal, get to work on fixing it.

When I set out to play this game as a 20-year-old, I looked at the pros and I watched them hit all kinds of shots. I was obsessed with the game. My goal was to be able to hit every shot with as much skill and consistency as Trevino and Chi Chi and Nicklaus and Seve and Woosnam and ... I didn't know any better. I figured it would be easy.

I could hit a 95 mile an hour fastball on the black. Why couldn't I learn to do anything I wanted to with a golf ball given enough understanding and reps?

But all along the way was a realistic assessment of my own game at any given time.

When I first started playing seriously, I could not keep the ball inbounds on certain "tough" driving holes. I knew, that if I wanted to play competitively, I had to learn to keep my ball in play off the tee.

So I went from hitting a high draw, to a low-cut literally overnight.

At least, the commitment to make the change in order to fix something that was wrong with my game was an overnight thing.

I am really interested to see how your stats develop. Make sure you enter every single round. Every single shot. It is tempting to fudge a little here and there, but the only person you are hurting is yourself when you do that. :-)

Man that bold statement hit so close to home for me and is the same reason I retooled my swing. A year ago in a state am qualifier i was on the range hitting it so pure that I knew I was going to qualify easily. I get to the first hole and proceed to duck hook it for the first 9 holes. I salvaged the round on the back somewhat but, after that I commited to hitting a cut which was almost impossible for me to do at the time. This year has been alot of work for me as well and I've had spurts of amazing golf then horrible golf but, I've stayed the path and hopefully before next season I'll be ready to hit the ground running again.

I played nine holes today for the first time in 2 months. Upper 50s. Nice wind out of the northeast. Then I pulled an ebramus21 by shooting a 38 and hitting only 3 girs. I had nothing. Nothing would be kind. But actually played the last hole legit but missed the 5 footer for bird. Plan to get out tomorrow too. Plan is to hit it like I did on the last hole today. Lol

Oh great you pulled an “ebrasmus” lol. In my defense the club I belong to is a super old school design (100 years old) and the greens are TINY.

Lol “ebrasmus”

Edit: small greens is a WRX accepted excuse, obviously.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Oh great you pulled an “ebrasmus” lol. In my defense the club I belong to is a super old school design (100 years old) and the greens are TINY.

Lol “ebrasmus”

I play holston hills A 1920s Donald Ross. Greens aren’t tiny but I’ve hit’em and ended up in a bunker or yards down the fairway. Fairways are generous but Ross kicks your a** at the green. Cool part is that is virtually the same as when it opened. Joke is the members where too cheap to screw it up. 18 unique holes. And one really difficult par 3. #14. Severe slope back to front and right to left. False front. Bunker on the right and left - i have putted it into the bunker on the left. I have chipped it from the right side, not get the line correct and watched it curl off the false front and roll 20 yards down the apron. Sometimes the best play is to hit it short and pitch up - just don’t go past the hole. Lol.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Had the honor of spending the day with Jon Sinclair at his studio facility in Euless TX (https://www.sinclairgolf.com/). Jon works with a number of tour pros and has a lot of knowledge – especially when comes to gears 3D type stuff. He also fits and builds for a number of tour guys and his facility is an awesome man-cave.

I was one of several WRX members selected to test driver shafts for TPT Golf (http://www.golfwrx.c...hey-are-saying/).

Several months ago, as a part of the test group, I got fit for my TPT shaft at Club Champion and a couple weeks later I got my new setup. TPT is a new company and they manufacture shafts in a completely new way and because of being so new they’ve had a few issues with shafts breaking. The designs and the manufacturing process have gone through some tweaks to try and account for this. I broke 2 myself.

Because I broke 2 shafts TPT few me out to see Jon and treated me to a full bag tour fitting.

Jon picked me up from the hotel at 9AM and we got cracking right away on driver. After getting some preliminary numbers with my current gamer we started different shaft/head combos. We took at least 90 minutes on this but I eventually got settled in with this combo: [head] G400 LST 10*, [shaft] 14.5 LKP LT

Dispersion was significantly tighter and ball speed increased about 3 mph on overage. This was my best hit of the day:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

After driver Jon gave me a little break with Putter fitting. Never been on SAM before and the SAM system provides a lot of great data. Two biggest things I learned:

1. My stroke isn’t perfect but it’s consistent

2. I aim about 1.5* left very consistently

Jon made some tweaks (took away some loft) he also had me change where I position the ball. He’d like me to putt with those changes for the next few weeks to see how it goes. If nothing improves we can discuss getting into a mallet head rather than my blade head.

We left the putting studio to go through the entire bag and do gap testing. This was great for me because I’ve never done this before, ever. The gap between 50* and PW was tightened up (Jon softened the loft on the PW a couple degrees) and we tweaked a couple of other gaps but got the set performing nicely. Jon took the time to check every loft and lie of every club, and make whatever changes needed, just to make sure I was getting the most I could out of the set.

By the time I was at around 5 iron or 4 iron I was gassed mentally and physically (I had hit A LOT of balls by that time). I started mishitting shots and Jon had to stop and give me a mental lesson.

He asked me what I was thinking over the ball and I told him a few mechanically thoughts. “How’s that working out for you?” he asked after three or four hooks in a row and then he started laughing. He said “stand behind the ball and visualize what cloud you want it to fly over and where you want it to land. How far do you want it to fly? How much do you want it to draw? How long is it going to roll? Once you see the shot – hit the ball.” That mental lesson got me through the rest of the fitting and my ball striking improved literally immediately.

Jon is just a down to earth, good dude that knows his s***. Such an awesome experience. I even came home with a new boom stick that Jon built right in front of me fitted with a proto shaft that he helped design.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome work so far!

Love the work so far!

kind of overdoing the hip depth imo because your bringing your head alot more in now. Kinda just shifting entire body back, probably feels like you are reaching for the ball into impact

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome work so far!

Love the work so far!

kind of overdoing the hip depth imo because your bringing your head alot more in now. Kinda just shifting entire body back, probably feels like you are reaching for the ball into impact

Maybe so. I'm not sure to be honest. Dan didn't seem concerned but that's also me really trying to "feel" a new movement - know what I mean?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Had the honor of spending the day with Jon Sinclair at his studio facility in Euless TX (https://www.sinclairgolf.com/). Jon works with a number of tour pros and has a lot of knowledge – especially when comes to gears 3D type stuff. He also fits and builds for a number of tour guys and his facility is an awesome man-cave.

I was one of several WRX members selected to test driver shafts for TPT Golf (http://www.golfwrx.c...hey-are-saying/).

Several months ago, as a part of the test group, I got fit for my TPT shaft at Club Champion and a couple weeks later I got my new setup. TPT is a new company and they manufacture shafts in a completely new way and because of being so new they’ve had a few issues with shafts breaking. The designs and the manufacturing process have gone through some tweaks to try and account for this. I broke 2 myself.

Because I broke 2 shafts TPT few me out to see Jon and treated me to a full bag tour fitting.

Jon picked me up from the hotel at 9AM and we got cracking right away on driver. After getting some preliminary numbers with my current gamer we started different shaft/head combos. We took at least 90 minutes on this but I eventually got settled in with this combo: [head] G400 LST 10*, [shaft] 14.5 LKP LT

Dispersion was significantly tighter and ball speed increased about 3 mph on overage. This was my best hit of the day:

Just go out with driver and putter. Beast mode. Lol.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Just go out with driver and putter. Beast mode. Lol.

Lol. Jon spent a good amount of time talking to me about my putting. After talking to him about my game and about my putting struggles he said I could get to scratch by doing nothing but improving my make percentages from 6-10*. Don't make enough in that range.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Quick update on practice. I've graduated from the mindset of hitting hundreds of balls every time I practice. Now I'm committed to keeping my practice sessions short but having a high level of focus on every rep. During this session I'd hit 3 partial shots for every 1 full shot. Each and every time really try to feel what I'm working on in my pivot.

Seems like it's much easier for me to get my body to open up on the partials compared to a more full swing. For example in the partials the club is exiting really low and left but not so much in the full swing.

Partial:

[media=]

[/media]

Full:

[media=]

[/media]

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Quick update on practice. I've graduated from the mindset of hitting hundreds of balls every time I practice. Now I'm committed to keeping my practice sessions short but having a high level of focus on every rep. During this session I'd hit 3 partial shots for every 1 full shot. Each and every time really try to feel what I'm working on in my pivot.

Seems like it's much easier for me to get my body to open up on the partials compared to a more full swing. For example in the partials the club is exiting really low and left but not so much in the full swing.

Partial:

[media=]

[/media]

Full:

[media=]

[/media]

Love this more than words could express. That's the kind of practice that takes you places.

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a good day because I was able to bring this swing out to the course with me. This is a swing from my practice session this morning. Working on my pivot with the ideas of getting some flexion in transition (belt-buckle down like Monte has taught me) while getting pressure into my lead heel. Once I get pressure into my lead heel I can push into the ground while I try to rotate my hips hard. This allowed me to get a lot of space for my arms, club on plane, solid compression and exiting nice and low-left.

I hit some absolute gems today. I didn't shoot the course record. I didn't break par. I didn't even shoot my personal best but today I got better and I actually brought the swing I've been working on out to the course. Today was a big day.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Today was a good day because I was able to bring this swing out to the course with me. This is a swing from my practice session this morning. Working on my pivot with the ideas of getting some flexion in transition (belt-buckle down like Monte has taught me) while getting pressure into my lead heel. Once I get pressure into my lead heel I can push into the ground while I try to rotate my hips hard. This allowed me to get a lot of space for my arms, club on plane, solid compression and exiting nice and low-left.

I hit some absolute gems today. I didn't shoot the course record. I didn't break par. I didn't even shoot my personal best but today I got better and I actually brought the swing I've been working on out to the course. Today was a big day.

[media=]

[/media]

Video isn't working for me, but in the stills it looks really good.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

[media=]

[/media]

Video isn't working for me, but in the stills it looks really good.

DD - is it not working for you? It seems to be working for me.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black