Taylormade P790 or Cobra King Forged Tec Blacks

carcharodon1977

Anyone playing the Cobra's with the Recoil 780 SmacWrap shaft?

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 1 month later...

Went for a club fitting with idea of going with either TaylorMade p790,ping I500, callaway apex cf19 or Titleist ap3. Tried them all than he had me hit cobra forged tec. It blew all the others away . I was longer and had better dispersion than any of the others even on mishits. I loved the feel and trajectory. Never thought about cobra but have only heard positive things about them . I loved the performance of the clubs . I love the looks but was worried that finish would come off but the black is imbedded into steel during forging so it is not a coating that wears off. Should be getting my new cobra forged tec irons any day now. For good measure I hit the F9 speedback driver and bought that too ! I shoot from 85-92 generally sometimes a little lower. Only negative I have is I like the golfpride mcc4 grips and they only offer them in grey and don’t include the arrcos with the grip upgrade. My salesman said he would contact cobra to see if they will include the screw on arccos sensors with the upgraded grip . I will update when I get clubs

Went for a club fitting with idea of going with either TaylorMade p790,ping I500, callaway apex cf19 or Titleist ap3. Tried them all than he had me hit cobra forged tec. It blew all the others away . I was longer and had better dispersion than any of the others even on mishits. I loved the feel and trajectory. Never thought about cobra but have only heard positive things about them . I loved the performance of the clubs . I love the looks but was worried that finish would come off but the black is imbedded into steel during forging so it is not a coating that wears off. Should be getting my new cobra forged tec irons any day now. For good measure I hit the F9 speedback driver and bought that too ! I shoot from 85-92 generally sometimes a little lower. Only negative I have is I like the golfpride mcc4 grips and they only offer them in grey and don't include the arrcos with the grip upgrade. My salesman said he would contact cobra to see if they will include the screw on arccos sensors with the upgraded grip . I will update when I get clubs

The Cobra DBM finish is bulletproof. I've had my FTB since last April and they still look fantastic...

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

recently went to a club fitting to get new irons . Currently playing Srixon z565 which are nice but felt I lost distance. Went in thinking to buy Taylormade p790, ping I500, callaway apex cf 19, or titleist ap3. I didnt hit any of them better than my current clubs and than they had me try out the cobra forged tec black. They were better in all numbers than any other clubs. Carry distance was average 12 yards longer , tighter dispersion, nice flight and great feel. It was a no brainer , I was worried that black finish would wear but I found out it isnt a finish but the black is embedded into the steel so it doesnt wear. I also ended up buying the cobra F9 speedback driver 2 days later. The driver and irons come with lambkin grips that have the arccos tracking system built into the grips. I upgraded to the golfpride mcc4 grips by preference but it doesnt include the arccos system. I emailed cobra asking if I could possibly get the screw in arccos sensors which you can buy separately to fit any grip which they sell separately for $245. They responded to my email within 1 hour and said they would be sending me the screw in sensors for all my clubs including wedges and putter at no charge asap. Now that is great customer service that you wont get with any other manufacturer. It just confirms that not only does cobra make a phenomenal product they have awesome customer service. I generally shoot fro 84-92 sometimes lower on a good day. I know irons are individual and I wasn't even thinking of cobra when I went for my club fitting . But am i glad I hit them and bought them. Ask around , I don't ever remember hearing anybody unhappy with their cobra clubs . It is the opposite , I only hear great things about their clubs.

I got kbs 90 stiff shaft

is that guy a russian bot?

I am not russian bot. I usually get new irons every 2-4 years. Its just my first experience with cobra and pleasantly surprised especially by their customer service. Played TaylorMade, callaway and ping as well as Srixon in past all good clubs. Its just what fits each individual best. But if its close its nice to have a company that has good customer service if issues arise. Honestly I went into fitting not even thinking about cobra irons

is that guy a russian bot?

Went for a club fitting with idea of going with either TaylorMade p790,ping I500, callaway apex cf19 or Titleist ap3. Tried them all than he had me hit cobra forged tec. It blew all the others away . I was longer and had better dispersion than any of the others even on mishits. I loved the feel and trajectory. Never thought about cobra but have only heard positive things about them . I loved the performance of the clubs . I love the looks but was worried that finish would come off but the black is imbedded into steel during forging so it is not a coating that wears off. Should be getting my new cobra forged tec irons any day now. For good measure I hit the F9 speedback driver and bought that too ! I shoot from 85-92 generally sometimes a little lower. Only negative I have is I like the golfpride mcc4 grips and they only offer them in grey and don't include the arrcos with the grip upgrade. My salesman said he would contact cobra to see if they will include the screw on arccos sensors with the upgraded grip . I will update when I get clubs

The Cobra DBM finish is bulletproof. I've had my FTB since last April and they still look fantastic...

P790’s are great irons, TM did a good job on those, had Nippon 950 shafts. I got interested in one length irons, so ordered a set of the black tec forged, 4-gap, + 56&60 with same shafts. The one length up the gap is fine but little strange with 56&60. I thought the 790’s were easy to hit until I got the cobra irons. Guys who see me on the range asked to hit, I hand them a 4 iron, they ask for 7, they can’t hit a 4. I laugh, try it.

190 yards later they are now sorry they hit, makes them think may they should try a set. Anyways great iron. I always like two sets irons and TM’s had some dings on them so I did little research and took a look at new Z785 Srixon. Put PX LZ 5.5 1/4” over hard stepped one time, wow I thought the 790’s were sweet, what a sole on those irons. If have chance to try them, do so. Plus everything from Srixon no charge, shaft, grips, any style grip. I have never seen a golf pride CP2 Wrap free upgrade. And note about Arcos, great customer service, I to needed screw in sensors, sent me 28! No charge.

P790's are great irons, TM did a good job on those, had Nippon 950 shafts. I got interested in one length irons, so ordered a set of the black tec forged, 4-gap, + 56&60 with same shafts. The one length up the gap is fine but little strange with 56&60. I thought the 790's were easy to hit until I got the cobra irons. Guys who see me on the range asked to hit, I hand them a 4 iron, they ask for 7, they can't hit a 4. I laugh, try it.

190 yards later they are now sorry they hit, makes them think may they should try a set. Anyways great iron. I always like two sets irons and TM's had some dings on them so I did little research and took a look at new Z785 Srixon. Put PX LZ 5.5 1/4" over hard stepped one time, wow I thought the 790's were sweet, what a sole on those irons. If have chance to try them, do so. Plus everything from Srixon no charge, shaft, grips, any style grip. I have never seen a golf pride CP2 Wrap free upgrade. And note about Arcos, great customer service, I to needed screw in sensors, sent me 28! No charge.

Wow!!! JTB postings like that are reasons to keep visiting these forums.....much appreciated!!

So, those irons mentioned in here from your use seems like you would rank them as Z785-FTecs-P790 in that order?

I'm shopping those and just not worth my time to go hitting bays of turf where all irons sound loud and are helped thru the ball by gracious lies. Plus, I don't do well as lab rat under such golf interrogation.... :huh:

I've got TM M5 but am having transition troubles since I also dropped shaft wt. considerably going out of MB forged heads with shafts from 115-128g down to 106g range.

My intent would be to have another set that wasn't to harshly different feeling or looking than the new M5. I may keep the Callaway Razrs MB, as I will let those PX 5.0F shafts be my max end of wt. @115g.

As I am kinda jonesing for the softer feel of forged - is that Srixon heads n tails above Cobra FT or TM P790? If it is close, I likely go TM. Here in hot AZ sun, it is kinda torturous to grab a black iron out of the bag on a summer day without your glove hand - Cobras being black.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

P790's are great irons, TM did a good job on those, had Nippon 950 shafts. I got interested in one length irons, so ordered a set of the black tec forged, 4-gap, + 56&60 with same shafts. The one length up the gap is fine but little strange with 56&60. I thought the 790's were easy to hit until I got the cobra irons. Guys who see me on the range asked to hit, I hand them a 4 iron, they ask for 7, they can't hit a 4. I laugh, try it.

190 yards later they are now sorry they hit, makes them think may they should try a set. Anyways great iron. I always like two sets irons and TM's had some dings on them so I did little research and took a look at new Z785 Srixon. Put PX LZ 5.5 1/4" over hard stepped one time, wow I thought the 790's were sweet, what a sole on those irons. If have chance to try them, do so. Plus everything from Srixon no charge, shaft, grips, any style grip. I have never seen a golf pride CP2 Wrap free upgrade. And note about Arcos, great customer service, I to needed screw in sensors, sent me 28! No charge.

Wow!!! JTB postings like that are reasons to keep visiting these forums.....much appreciated!!

So, those irons mentioned in here from your use seems like you would rank them as Z785-FTecs-P790 in that order?

I'm shopping those and just not worth my time to go hitting bays of turf where all irons sound loud and are helped thru the ball by gracious lies. Plus, I don't do well as lab rat under such golf interrogation.... :huh:

I've got TM M5 but am having transition troubles since I also dropped shaft wt. considerably going out of MB forged heads with shafts from 115-128g down to 106g range.

My intent would be to have another set that wasn't to harshly different feeling or looking than the new M5. I may keep the Callaway Razrs MB, as I will let those PX 5.0F shafts be my max end of wt. @115g.

As I am kinda jonesing for the softer feel of forged - is that Srixon heads n tails above Cobra FT or TM P790? If it is close, I likely go TM. Here in hot AZ sun, it is kinda torturous to grab a black iron out of the bag on a summer day without your glove hand - Cobras being black.

Cobra over TM but as for Z785 the forgiveness and workability and feel and distance and the freebies to upgrade hands down best. One note, the soul on the 785 is really different from any iron of hit, I cannot hit a ball from hitting bay mat and I could with the 785. That shaft and head combination I have just work.

Oh and side note I have the new F9 yellow driver, that is a game changer too, and I also like to always have a back up driver which was my G 400 max but after I just held the new in Ping that is in the bag next or as my back up. Balls, I am a Bridgestone ball player, titleist rep handed me a box of the brand new pro V ones the other day which I do not like and he said just try, that’s the longest ball I’ve ever hit you need to try that ball

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the 790s today and quite liked them, guess I better go back and try the Cobras after seeing this. I had specifically gone in today to try the Cobra F9s and had not even considered these (tried a whole bunch of stuff - M6, G400, Rogue as well as those two above).

I was mentally committed to spending about $1k (CAD) on a new set. The 790s are $1450, while the FTBs are $1250, so maybe I'll split the difference and go with the Cobras if they are as good as people are saying here.

• 4 months later...

Bumping an old thread; anyone else have any opinions on these two irons head to head? Currently playing my j15 cb which I love, but have some stuff to trade in so looking at a backup set especially when my ball striking is off. I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Love the forgiveness and extra distance of p790, but the ftb feel and look better. Many have said these are just as long as the p790- if that’s true I might just go that route. Any opinions would be appreciated.

> @9ironiscash said:

> Bumping an old thread; anyone else have any opinions on these two irons head to head? Currently playing my j15 cb which I love, but have some stuff to trade in so looking at a backup set especially when my ball striking is off. I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Love the forgiveness and extra distance of p790, but the ftb feel and look better. Many have said these are just as long as the p790- if that’s true I might just go that route. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I didn't like the look or feel of the P790 at all. The FTB are very visually appealing and confidence inspiring.

Enjoying the Cobra FTB w/Modus 105s.

They are long enough, though probably not as forgiving as the 790's.

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

> @shiftyz said:

> I'm considering the black Tec's but for those who have hit them, would you consider them high launch? I already hit the ball extremely high (compared to others) and worried about them being too high for me. I don't have the luxury of trying non oem shafts and custom ordering a set, I would probably go with the standard amt's. I'm a 5-7 handicap currently playing the jpx900 forged, which are good really. I just want a darker head and I'm also considering the black hogan ft worths. Thanks

I'm a 4-6 handicap myself and within the last 4 years I've owned the jpx 900 forged, tm p790, and just got the forgedtec. I have a pretty high ball flight as well and I would say the forgedtec has been a little lower launch for me. I'm sure the shaft makes a big difference. I have the AMT white tour s300 in the forgedtec. I love the feel of them compared to the p790, especially in the short irons.

> @eball33 said:

> Funny you should ask because those are my last 2 sets of irons. I really liked the P790s but I LOVE the forgedtec. I had the Nippon 120x in the 790 but I ended up getting the TT AMT white tour s300 in the cobras. I actually have a little lower ballflight with the cobras as well.

> vkvimqqp1maz.jpg

> jd38s1a34erp.jpg

>

Do u find the cobras significantly less forgiving?

> @9ironiscash said:

> > @eball33 said:

> > Funny you should ask because those are my last 2 sets of irons. I really liked the P790s but I LOVE the forgedtec. I had the Nippon 120x in the 790 but I ended up getting the TT AMT white tour s300 in the cobras. I actually have a little lower ballflight with the cobras as well.

> > vkvimqqp1maz.jpg

> > jd38s1a34erp.jpg

> >

>

> Do u find the cobras significantly less forgiving?

Ive only played about 5 rounds with them but so far I find them to be just as forgiving as the p790. One thing I love is the heads seem to weigh more, maybe because the 790s are hollow, but that helps me stay down and through on impact. Sometimes with a lighter feeling head weight i have tendency to try and help the club head through instead of letting the club do the work. Could just be a mental thing. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread. Cobra has the FTBs for $799 for the holidays 3-PW ($300 off)...so giving them some consideration. Might pull the trigger to replace my i200s, but concerned about how far the short irons/wedge will fly and any corresponding gaps they might create. Probably go with the same Modus 105 shaft I have now, seems every time I go through some sort of fitting they put me in it (including the Ping blueprinting). If anyone can shed light on how they gapped these with a 50/54/58, or the like, it would be appreciated.

I have set GW @ 50*, with some lead tape, followed by SM7 54 & 58

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

• 1 month later...

Any low-ish handicaps still playing the forged tec blacks? I'm currently in the srixon z785's but am not really a fan of these v-soles. My current issue relates to a very high ball flight with low irons that just don't hit the numbers I'm looking for.

For those with the FTB's do you think they work well across the entire set?

Edit: also any feedback on the offset of the FTB's? I hit a fairly straight iron shot with my miss being an over draw- as I understand it the offset will promote even more of a draw...

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Had both. Forgiveness around the same. Distance too except in the long irons where the P790 are a little hotter off the face.

Distance control goes to the FTB and it isn't even close. I like the P790s but always struggle with distance control. I still use them in the winter when I need a little extra distance but I have to play for a 4 way miss because of the occasional long ball.

FTB are fantastic heads. Long, soft and accurate.

And the FTB don’t get scuffed up as bad as other black irons. Cobra did a fantastic job on the finish with whatever technique they used. I’m still gaming mine after a full season last year and into this year. But being the ho I am, pondering some new irons, lol.

id think you could find a Very good shaft/ iron combo in these. I think they’re crazy cheap right now from Cobra too.