2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf After Meniscus Surgery

For those of you who have had knee meniscus surgery:

1. Have you been able to play the same way that you did prior to your surgery?

2. Did you have tears on both sides of the knee or just one side?

3. Was only the damaged portion removed or the entire meniscus?

4.Did the surgery fix a bucking problem (my issue).

5.How long did it take after your surgery before you could play again? Did you have physical therapy?

6. Was the surgery on your lead or trail leg.?

7. if the surgery was perforned years ago, did arthritis develop in the knee that had the surgery?

Thank you for your feedback.

1. I actually played better. Might want to consider asking your doctor about a custom knee brace to offload the stresses on your knee. I wore one and it helped a lot.

2. Mine tore on both sides about 2 years apart. Couldn't even walk when first one tore.

3. Only damaged portion was repaired on both of mine.

4. I had no buckling issue

5. I played a week after having the second one and about 3 weeks after first. I didn't do physical therapy. I guess I have a high pain threshold. I did mow my lawn a week after first one but didn't play for 3 weeks.

6. Surgery was on lead leg first and trail leg second

7. Yes, I had osteoarthritis but that is what caused my meniscus tears. The arthritis created like sharp teeth if you will and cut the meniscus for lack of better description. I've since had double full knee replacements and glad I did.

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection. Just had my left knee scoped and a cyst removed 3 days ago. My symptoms were occasional buckling but mostly just fluid buildup and swelling and pain. I had been managing it with draining the fluid and cortisone shots but both my doctors told me that meniscus tears don't fix themselves so I might as well get it taken care of. Slightly frustrated that they didn't do my right knee which needs it as well, at the same time but it's snow here for the next 4-5 months anyway. 

Everything feels fine so far. Going on walks around the neighborhood is a breeze. The knee and the surrounding area still feels swollen and tight but I'm hoping with time and some physical therapy that will go away. I can definitely lift my knee past 90° without much problem. I like to walk when I play most of the time and my home course is extremely hilly with lots of elevation changes so I'm really hoping for the best. 

Similar to what a few other posts alluded to my surgeon wanted to be very conservative with what he carved out. He indicated that he wanted to leave as much meniscus as possible. 

I will follow up when I get my right leg or my trail leg done in the next 3 or 4 weeks or so. I'm definitely starting to understand the challenges that come with mentally trusting the surgery because when I think of a full driver and finishing on the left side I get a bit uneasy 😬

• 4 months later...

Good thread here. 

Saw the doctor today for inside of the right knee (medial) pain. Have to get an MRI. 
Doc said could be anything from a sprained /slight rip MCL to ripped / torn meniscus. 

Hopefully nothing bad. 
can weight load my right knee. No buckling. Just can’t bend it fully (backwards towards my buttocks). 

I’ve had 3 ACL replacements (left knee twice, right knee once). The recovery is brutal. I don’t know how to compare it to meniscal surgeries though. 

I’ll just say that, despite 3 torn ACLs and a spinal fusion to boot, I’m playing the best golf of my life. I have minimal pain, though I do get the occasional tweaking of my knee.  I hit the ball 30 yards longer than I did when in my 30s (I’m almost 50). That is all due to swing technique improvements, though, and I suspect that if I had never torn my ACLs or had a pinched nerve I would be even longer. 

I played with a knee brace for a while but don’t need it anymore. I was diligent about the physical therapy. I think that is the key to improving. 

On 6/2/2018 at 2:02 PM, rteach1 said:

5.How long did it take after your surgery before you could play again? Did you have physical therapy?

7. if the surgery was perforned years ago, did arthritis develop in the knee that had the surgery?

1) Yes, I have no issues with the leg at all

2) One side (lateral)

3) Entire meniscus removed along with a LOT of scar tissue

4) Yes

5) I had mine done in January of 2001, probably didn't play until the May timeframe though I could have played earlier.

6) Trail leg

7) I was told "knee replacement by 50" as I was 26 when I had it done. Zero issues thus far and I'm 47. That knee hurts FAR less than my right. No arthritis as of yet.

I went to the Dr that was the choice of the local University Athletics dept, find a surgeon you are comfortable with who will listen to your concerns. A buddy of mine had his knee done (lead leg) roughly a month ago and we have a golf outing planned mid-April. 

Best of luck!

On 3/7/2022 at 1:57 PM, DonRSD said:

Good thread here. 

Saw the doctor today for inside of the right knee (medial) pain. Have to get an MRI. 
Doc said could be anything from a sprained /slight rip MCL to ripped / torn meniscus. 

Hopefully nothing bad. 
can weight load my right knee. No buckling. Just can’t bend it fully (backwards towards my buttocks). 

I feel you.  I am a month or so ahead of you.  Knee pain and stiffness and fluid buildup in early Feb.  Doc drained it and gave me a cortizone shot and said if it wasnt better in a week, get an MRI.  Immediately started to feel better, but 4 days later I went to jog across the street and it just buckled.  Immediately got the MRI, identified torn medial meniscus (with a whole bunch of other old age related signs -- I'm 51, but a former college athlete so my knees have a taken a beating over the years).

Surgery scheduled for 2nd week of April, with a golf trip scheduled at the end of May, so I've read this thread with great interest. Doc says I should be good to go 4 weeks after surgery, so I'm hopeful....   

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

5 hours ago, thechief16 said:

I feel you.  I am a month or so ahead of you.  Knee pain and stiffness and fluid buildup in early Feb.  Doc drained it and gave me a cortizone shot and said if it wasnt better in a week, get an MRI.  Immediately started to feel better, but 4 days later I went to jog across the street and it just buckled.  Immediately got the MRI, identified torn medial meniscus (with a whole bunch of other old age related signs -- I'm 51, but a former college athlete so my knees have a taken a beating over the years).

Surgery scheduled for 2nd week of April, with a golf trip scheduled at the end of May, so I've read this thread with great interest. Doc says I should be good to go 4 weeks after surgery, so I'm hopeful....   

My friend best of luck. Hopefully you can make the trip. MRI today, so once the hospital sends over the results the knee doctor will call me in to go over the results.

Everyday I can do more, so hoping for nothing bad.

Have 4 lessons (2 days x 2 hours a day) mid April with Mike Bender in Orlando so hoping to be able to make it!!!

Keep us updated with your surgery and recovery brother. Prayers.

5 hours ago, thechief16 said:

I had my right knee scoped for a lateral meniscus tear 13 years ago.  My ortho let me hit balls after a couple of weeks but wanted me to wait a month to play.  My PT was much more conservative and wanted me to wait 6 weeks post-surgery to play.  The post-op pain went away for me after 3-4 weeks, which is exactly what the doc told me would happen.  You should be fine to play physically 6-7 weeks post-surgery - the mental part of playing on a post-surgical knee might take a little bit to get used to.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

18 hours ago, dwboston said:

I had my right knee scoped for a lateral meniscus tear 13 years ago.  My ortho let me hit balls after a couple of weeks but wanted me to wait a month to play.  My PT was much more conservative and wanted me to wait 6 weeks post-surgery to play.  The post-op pain went away for me after 3-4 weeks, which is exactly what the doc told me would happen.  You should be fine to play physically 6-7 weeks post-surgery - the mental part of playing on a post-surgical knee might take a little bit to get used to.

You can add that to a long list mental problems with my golf game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

On 3/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, DonRSD said:

My friend best of luck. Hopefully you can make the trip. MRI today, so once the hospital sends over the results the knee doctor will call me in to go over the results.

Everyday I can do more, so hoping for nothing bad.

Have 4 lessons (2 days x 2 hours a day) mid April with Mike Bender in Orlando so hoping to be able to make it!!!

Keep us updated with your surgery and recovery brother. Prayers.

mess diagnosed with a grade 2 MCL sprain / tear. 
Crutches and a knee brace. Said should be good in 3-6 weeks and already knocked out 2 weeks.
Hoping to wake up and knee is better. Sick of this crap already. 

• 1 year later...

I am a little more than 4 weeks post meniscus surgery.  It’s the right knee (trailing for me).  It was completely severed and torn off the bone.  Luckily they were able to repair rather than take it out, but it’s a brutal recovery.   6 weeks in a full leg immobility brace with crutches and no weight bearing (foot doesn’t touch the floor for the full 6 weeks).  Two more weeks of that then gradually return to walking with full weight bearing with pain as tolerated.

In total 24 weeks of rehab with progressing exercises.  Golf is shown on the rehab protocol as a “complex” action, late in the protocol at 20+ weeks.  However, since it’s my trailing knee, there’s a lot less torque as it becomes non weight bearing during the swing.  So I’m hoping that I can get back for late summer/fall!

• Like 1

Reading through this. I have a full tear several years old in my lead knee. I switched to a little more expensive knee brace and had a problem for the 1st time in while. I hit a great drive and it gave out as I walked off the box. I was able to continue though with some pain but it seemed to "restabilize" after a couple holes.

My BiL had a tear nowhere near as bad as mine and had surgery. He's had more pain after surgery than before. 

I played today after the incident Wed. then a pretty physical work day Thurs. and no issues. I wore my new Hoka trail sneakers instead of my spikes. I went back to the brace that's just like a thick sleeve. Like the knee portion of a wet suit really. I joined up with a college player and his Dad. So played blues and drove the piss out of it. Actually shot 2 off my best at that course, which was white tees.

I'm going to stay with what I got for now and no more restricive brace. I might buy another pair of these Hoka shoes and save one for golf to keep the treads/lugs good.

Edited by ezra76
  • Like 1

I’ve had two ACL replacements in my right knee along with a cleanup (meniscus)  a few years after the 2nd tear.

I’m 53 and my knee has never been ‘right’ after my

first ACL tear. I can deal with it, but I know at some point I will have to get an artificial joint. I’m delaying it as long as I can. I can’t stand the rehab and recovery process.

I've had surgery for a meniscus tear on my right knee and it doesn't bother me at all now.

My left knee has a meniscus and ligament tear and needs surgery soon. I was feeling sorry for myself and my main golfing buddy just had a heart attack so I feel bad for having complained a lot about my knee this last weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Medial meniscus in my trail knee (right, RH player) was completely severed and one side also torn off the bone.  Instead of removal, they did a repair, which took a long time and various techniques.  6 weeks of complete no weight bearing on the leg, so lots of atrophy.  Now in 2nd week of being able to walk but still with crutches and an offloader knee brace.

Being the back knee, I’m much less concerned about starting at the range in a couple more weeks.  If anything it will encourage the weight shift forward onto the left! :).  Of course doing PT every day at home and 2-3 times per week at the clinic.  Protocol shows golf as a “complex” movement at 24 weeks, but doesn’t distinguish between front and back leg, and really it shows that timeframe because they don’t have a lot of evidence post repair.  If it was the front knee, I’d be done for the season for sure.

Will need to do it like Tiger.  Start with putting, then chipping, then gradually move back towards the tee.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:02 PM, rteach1 said:

1. Yes

2. I had a complex, medial meniscus tear in my right knee.

3. I lost the medial side of the meniscus. The lateral side is intact.

4. Yes

5. in my case, 5 months. I have heard others returned to the golf course more quickly. I had 8-weeks of physical therapy because my knee cap was not slotting properly. PT and ortho-tape retrained my knee cap.

6. My trail leg, thank goodness.

7. My surgery was performed in 2008 and no signs of arthritis. Sometimes my knee feels out of joint, which is a little uncomfortable but it’s not painful.

Good luck!

Went to the ortho doc with knee pain in January and he was ready to "clean up" the meniscus. He said, it was like getting a cleaning at the dentist! I went the PT route, which I think is totally overrated. Just sucked it up for another few months and now it is fine by taking a break from golf and the treadmill for a few months. Surgeons are very quick to cut. 

Edited by Tanner25
  • Like 1

Surgeons who aren't cutting are like truckers who aren't rolling.  No money in either one.

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"