My C.C. always having events , course closed.

"Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild."

I agree. There are just two categories: public and private. If you belong to a public course you tolerate the courses actions or you "vote" by taking your business elsewhere. I checked and my club had 14 outings his year (all Mondays except one on a Friday which was a charity we support). This is tolerable as it subsidizes expenses with (to me) minimal disruption.

I agree one million percent. Only thing more frustrating is working a semi-private club with members that feel that their membership entitled them to more than what it is. I get that you should have more privileges; bigger window to make tee times (2 weeks instead of one), special member only dinners, merchandise discounts, etc. Thankfully that’s few and far between (not pointing fingers I’m just speaking from experience) I’ve worked all type of club; public, resort, semi-private, high end public, and elite private. There’s only one I’d ever consider working again. So take advantage if you have the opportunity to join a fully private golf club (the right one, not just any club). You’ll never justify the cost monetarily (unless you’re generationally wealthy then who cares and if you gotta ask you are not), but you’ll enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie of being amongst a like minded group of people.

What exactly am I saying that implies I'm wanting to be "entitled to more " !? First off...there are no member only dinners , there are no member discounts in the pro shop. I pay monthly minimums for food /bev...there were no assessments this year but there have been in the past. We are asked to volunteer our time when there is extra cleanup needed at the course after storms and in the fall. I know I come across so "entitled" because I want the luxury of being able to play 6 holes at 5 o clock a few times a week ! You speak like I paid for a 20 round season pass. For what I pay a year i would have to play 60 rounds of golf ( based on what they charge for greens feed ) so yeah I think I have a right to be pissed when I look at the schedule and I see 5 days straight where I literally can't play 4 to 6 holes for an hour .

"Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild."

I agree. There are just two categories: public and private. If you belong to a public course you tolerate the courses actions or you "vote" by taking your business elsewhere. I checked and my club had 14 outings his year (all Mondays except one on a Friday which was a charity we support). This is tolerable as it subsidizes expenses with (to me) minimal disruption.

I agree one million percent. Only thing more frustrating is working a semi-private club with members that feel that their membership entitled them to more than what it is. I get that you should have more privileges; bigger window to make tee times (2 weeks instead of one), special member only dinners, merchandise discounts, etc. Thankfully that’s few and far between (not pointing fingers I’m just speaking from experience) I’ve worked all type of club; public, resort, semi-private, high end public, and elite private. There’s only one I’d ever consider working again. So take advantage if you have the opportunity to join a fully private golf club (the right one, not just any club). You’ll never justify the cost monetarily (unless you’re generationally wealthy then who cares and if you gotta ask you are not), but you’ll enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie of being amongst a like minded group of people.

What exactly am I saying that implies I'm wanting to be "entitled to more " !? First off...there are no member only dinners , there are no member discounts in the pro shop. I pay monthly minimums for food /bev...there were no assessments this year but there have been in the past. We are asked to volunteer our time when there is extra cleanup needed at the course after storms and in the fall. I know I come across so "entitled" because I want the luxury of being able to play 6 holes at 5 o clock a few times a week ! You speak like I paid for a 20 round season pass. For what I pay a year i would have to play 60 rounds of golf ( based on what they charge for greens feed ) so yeah I think I have a right to be pissed when I look at the schedule and I see 5 days straight where I literally can't play 4 to 6 holes for an hour .

J2...it sounds like you belong to a private club. Yes? No?

I don’t think I ever called you entitled, I just gave you an opinion from behind the counter of people that work golf clubs.

You are totally entitled to be upset at the situation, but you can go patronize another club.

What I really think is that you just want to gripe to people that you think care because they share similar opines about pace of play...I totally get what you mean though. It is super nice having the ability to play a few holes whenever I want, at either club. I’ve been known to sneak a few with some assistants in before the back opens up, or just grab my cart and head out and not come back till dark, hoping around wherever I like

Although this week both are getting busy, with thanksgiving and the tour season finished up. I think we had 42 people in the tee sheet today, ridiculous I know I had to wait 17 minutes on the practice green rolling putts while a couple groups went off...it totally ruined my day! I can not believe the nerve of the people in front of me that wanted to enjoy the low 80’s and light breeze coming off the ocean on a spectacular golf course.

J2...it sounds like you belong to a private club. Yes? No?

I didn't renew ..but that's my gripe that I think I'm clearly justified. The club leans on their "members" to keep the club afloat. They ask for 20% of membership to be paid up front every November so the club can get through Dec,Jan, Feb and most of March when there's snow on the ground . That breaks down to $600 x 270 members = $160k. When there was a big storm last March that knocked over a bunch of trees they were asking for "members" to help..at the end of October after they blocked out 5 consecutive weekends to outside events they asked for members to help with fall cleanup. So yeah I think it's pretty obvious they regard us as MEMBERS. So when I went through this entire season seeing day after day "course closed" on the schedule ....I think I have a justified gripe.

I don’t think I ever called you entitled, I just gave you an opinion from behind the counter of people that work golf clubs.

You are totally entitled to be upset at the situation, but you can go patronize another club.

What I really think is that you just want to gripe to people that you think care because they share similar opines about pace of play...I totally get what you mean though. It is super nice having the ability to play a few holes whenever I want, at either club. I’ve been known to sneak a few with some assistants in before the back opens up, or just grab my cart and head out and not come back till dark, hoping around wherever I like

Although this week both are getting busy, with thanksgiving and the tour season finished up. I think we had 42 people in the tee sheet today, ridiculous I know I had to wait 17 minutes on the practice green rolling putts while a couple groups went off...it totally ruined my day! I can not believe the nerve of the people in front of me that wanted to enjoy the low 80’s and light breeze coming off the ocean on a spectacular golf course.

pace of play is not an issue....it's the inability to play

It's a lesson learned. I will NEVER pay for a membership for a "open to the public " club. Next year I will get a season pass at another course that i prefer anyway.

If you prefer the other course anyways why’d you join the club you don’t prefer?

I joined because it's literally a mile from my house and I would be able to go out and get in holes after work to practice, leisure of jumping on to the 14th hole and practice for 5 holes . I foolishly assumed that I would be able to get good amount of golf in ....even if it wasn't necessarily 9 or 18 holes at a time . What i failed to mention was in prior year I had an afternoon membership. That was done away with this year and I was told for only $300 more for the full membership i would be able to play anytime I want, also they failed to tell me that they went from one afternoon league a week to three . So they got more money out of me and in return i got less opportunities to play ..

It's a lesson learned. I will NEVER pay for a membership for a "open to the public " club. Next year I will get a season pass at another course that i prefer anyway.

If you prefer the other course anyways why’d you join the club you don’t prefer?

I joined because it's literally a mile from my house and I would be able to go out and get in holes after work to practice, leisure of jumping on to the 14th hole and practice for 5 holes . I foolishly assumed that I would be able to get good amount of golf in ....even if it wasn't necessarily 9 or 18 holes at a time . What i failed to mention was in prior year I had an afternoon membership. That was done away with this year and I was told for only $300 more for the full membership i would be able to play anytime I want, also they failed to tell me that they went from one afternoon league a week to three . So they got more money out of me and in return i got less opportunities to play ..

Some cheese...

I work at a semi private myself, if i can chime in for how the business model is for us. Basically, saturdays are off limits for whole course outings (but we will often schedule groups of 30-40 to have half the course in the late afternoon after the members have finished). But outside of that, managements view is that if we could book out the entire course with an outside event every single day then we would. The profitability of visitors on corporate/social events is such that average golfer spend is about $102pp when you tally up gfee, cart, drinks etc. Compare that to average member spend (dues are calculated into this) of about $43pp and you can understand why a business would want as many outside events as possible. Luckily for the members we're not that busy, we usually have 1 morning a week closed for events, and its usually on mondays or wednesdays which are otherwise our quietest days. Not saying i disagree or agree, this is managements opinion of how we should run it, and as a golf course in a struggling marketplace, its tough to turn away revenue like that, else we would probably be closed otherwise.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I belonged to a semi-private for the past 3 years, and had the same general situation as the OP. On one hand it is frustrating to see the club book a lot of outside tournaments on weekends, shotgun start at 8:30. As a member my thought is "you can have the outside tournaments, but can't you book them to start at 1:00 instead of 8:30 on the weekends? I work full time, so my weekend morning games are really the two days of the week I can get out with the guys".

BUT, on the other hand I also understand the club is going to do what they feel is best for their bottom line. Unfortunately my previous club chose the path that didn't benefit me as much. Which is fine.

HOW DID I SOLVE IT? Back in August I took my spending dollars, and now belong to a fully private club. And so did several of the other members at the semi-private. So now it remains to be seen if the semi-private club made the right decision by choosing to put their members second. Maybe they will be hurt by this, maybe not. Good thing is, it's not my problem anymore. I LOVE my new club, I LOVE private club golf and everything that comes with it.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Compare that to average member spend (dues are calculated into this) of about $43pp and you can understand why a business would want as many outside events as possible.

Theoretically the best member is the one that pays and never shows up to play. Seconded by the member that shows up rarely and dumps a wad on nick-nacks and drinks and food.

In two consecutive sentences you said you'll never again pay for a membership at a course that's open to the public followed by saying that next year you will buy a season pass to another course ("season pass" implying that course is open to the public). So which is it?

I can understand the frustration, but if you want true privacy and exclusivity, you won't find it at a semi-private course. For that you have to join a 100% private club (and even then you'll likely encounter the occasional outside event or member event)

And yeah, the title of the thread is a bit misleading. There are a lot of public courses that use "country club" in their name but they are nothing more than just a public course that offers "memberships."

In two consecutive sentences you said you'll never again pay for a membership at a course that's open to the public followed by saying that next year you will buy a season pass to another course ("season pass" implying that course is open to the public). So which is it?

I can understand the frustration, but if you want true privacy and exclusivity, you won't find it at a semi-private course. For that you have to join a 100% private club (and even then you'll likely encounter the occasional outside event or member event)

And yeah, the title of the thread is a bit misleading. There are a lot of public courses that use "country club" in their name but they are nothing more than just a public course that offers "memberships."

A season pass ( it's only 20 rounds ) and I play every Sunday at 6am without issue. Also I have no food and beverage commitment .

A season pass ( it's only 20 rounds ) and I play every Sunday at 6am without issue. Also I have no food and beverage commitment .

Most F&B at a private club is $100 per month. I look at it this way....I used to spend at least $100 a month playing 8 or more rounds on public courses...that's like $12 per round. And we all know hot dogs are like $4....and with a beer it's around $10. Now if one only plays a couple times per month, the F&B can be used to take the family to the club for lunch or dinner.

This is Allendale CC we are talking about correct? I played there a couple of years ago and it is a fun course. I really enjoyed my round. Sorry to hear about the way it is managed. CC of New Bedford is a nice course as well, but without the issues you mention. Perhaps you deserve an upgrade to the private side of life.

In golf...like anything else...you pay for convenience. If I have a 4.5 hour round it feels like "all day". But I pay for that convenience. And I pay for my wife's lunches and all her other activities at the club....but it's by far the best deal in my opinion. I understand that folks can't spend >$1,000 a month on dues...but I gotta believe there are private cc's with half-reasonable dues around the country. And often times the CC will offer a huge discount on initiation fees because they're selling a surrendered membership. So if they want $10k, offer $3k.

Man, I feel blessed to live where I live. Yes, we have winter but I usually play from March- November. A season pas with unlimited golf and cart is $1250. I've never not been able to get on. We have 36 holes so if there's a outing at least 18 is open.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Also there is no exclusive tee times for members . So the public can play anytime of the day any day of the week . So what's the point of me having a membership !?

So it's really not a Country Club? It's a Semi-Private. If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist. I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company. I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom line is, if you don't like it spend you money somewhere else.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Also there is no exclusive tee times for members . So the public can play anytime of the day any day of the week . So what's the point of me having a membership !?

So it's really not a Country Club? It's a Semi-Private. If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist. I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company. I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom line is, if you don't like it spend you money somewhere else.

IMO there's no such thing as Semi-Private....it's just paying for preferred tee times and 10% off of stuff nobody buys.

So it's really not a Country Club? It's a Semi-Private. If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist. I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company. I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom lin

e is, if you don't like it spend you money somewhere else.

it's not run by a management company , and there are monthly member meetings .

So it's really not a Country Club? It's a Semi-Private. If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist. I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company. I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom lin

Are they empowered?

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

i just checked the website and they have tee time for the public. This in itself makes this a public course IMHO. You got suckered into a tough situation considering where you're living. I can't blame you for being upset but it's golf. Spend your money at another club and move on.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

What is on the agenda at these meetings and does the meeting outcome hold any influence in the operation?

All of this is somewhat confusing. Whoever owns the course ultimately calls the shots (sets budgets, OK's major projects, sets rules on when outings occur, etc.). A public course may have member meetings but its probably a pacifier at best. Next meeting bring up a motion to eliminate weekend outings and see how far it goes.