2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 5/10/2024 at 8:38 PM, dekez said:

Too upright goes left and too flat goes right.  I knew that already.  Does too high on the face mean too much bounce or too little bounce? 

I was commenting on the low COG. TS3 is the lowest of the new irons. Unless my ball is on a tee, I don't know how to hit it high on the face.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terry55 said:

I was commenting on the low COG. TS3 is the lowest of the new irons. Unless my ball is on a tee, I don't know how to hit it high on the face.

Thanks. I thought you had its bounce in mind as well. It has lower bounce than the Titleist T300.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 6-GW irons

Mizuno S23 54, Ping Zing Lob wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

Despite driving the ball quite well lately, I saw the 43" driver thread elsewhere on here and threw a 43" shaft in my KE4 TC Max for yesterdays rounds because I'm apparently an idiot. Drove it straight but definitely felt like I lost some distance. Bout what you expect but hey, things were simply going too well I had to change something up. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After an abysmal golf performance on an easy ish course, shooting a very ugly 87... i did some swing over haul. Turns out my grip was a real mess. I went with a very strong grip throughout the golf bag and it's been a huge turn around. 

The PTM Black/MMB Black combination has been amazing. Not a chance in hell those clubs are going anywhere. The big question has been the driver. The 87 came along with a driver swing that was ugly at best. With the swing change I did some driver over haul. I have 4 candidates. TSR3 9.0, Qi10 9.0 M890 10.0 and a Pro TC. 

The M890 is extremely straight and a real fairway finder but Spins far too much leaving it 10 to 12 yards short, more often than not. The Qi10 is a great driver and distance is a high point but I can easily lose it right. Hit flush it feels like a marshmallow launched to the moon. The TSR3 is really solid but I can have a two way slight miss of sorts. Not ugly but I just can't seem to get it to be steady. Little left or right at the wrong time. Not terrible but it's not confidence inspiring.

The surprise has been the Pro TC. 

The biggest thing with the Pro TC is the feel/sound. It's that amazing crushed it!!! slightly muted ping. The ball feels like its screaming off the face. You just can't wait to hit it again. It has that old school feeling that's missing from most of today's drivers. The driver seems to prefer a low tee height. It can take some getting used to. Ball Flight is fade biased but very controlled. 

The shaft is the Tensei White 65 X. Not wildly expensive but a super high quality shaft.  Played at just under 45". Setting is between NU and H. 

This driver is definitely not for everyone as it's geared to a better player. But if you can hit it... oohhhh does it feel good. 

20240512_192614.jpg

20240512_192654.jpg

20240512_192712.jpg

20240512_192721.jpg

20240512_192733.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

After an abysmal golf performance on an easy ish course, shooting a very ugly 87... i did some swing over haul. Turns out my grip was a real mess. I went with a very strong grip throughout the golf bag and it's been a huge turn around. 

The PTM Black/MMB Black combination has been amazing. Not a chance in hell those clubs are going anywhere. The big question has been the driver. The 87 came along with a driver swing that was ugly at best. With the swing change I did some driver over haul. I have 4 candidates. TSR3 9.0, Qi10 9.0 M890 10.0 and a Pro TC. 

The M890 is extremely straight and a real fairway finder but Spins far too much leaving it 10 to 12 yards short, more often than not. The Qi10 is a great driver and distance is a high point but I can easily lose it right. Hit flush it feels like a marshmallow launched to the moon. The TSR3 is really solid but I can have a two way slight miss of sorts. Not ugly but I just can't seem to get it to be steady. Little left or right at the wrong time. Not terrible but it's not confidence inspiring.

The surprise has been the Pro TC. 

The biggest thing with the Pro TC is the feel/sound. It's that amazing crushed it!!! slightly muted ping. The ball feels like its screaming off the face. You just can't wait to hit it again. It has that old school feeling that's missing from most of today's drivers. The driver seems to prefer a low tee height. It can take some getting used to. Ball Flight is fade biased but very controlled. 

The shaft is the Tensei White 65 X. Not wildly expensive but a super high quality shaft.  Played at just under 45". Setting is between NU and H. 

This driver is definitely not for everyone as it's geared to a better player. But if you can hit it... oohhhh does it feel good. 

20240512_192614.jpg

20240512_192654.jpg

20240512_192712.jpg

20240512_192721.jpg

20240512_192733.jpg

Here is an unasked for completely useless opinion. Play the club you enjoy. Your swing will morph into a happy marriage. But you already know that.

17 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

Anyone on the TC Pro 3W?

Thanks to @Nat  I got a chance to test a proto back in the winter. Great first impressions for winter time.

I recently bought one but I’ve only gotten to the range with it. It’ll be in play this week. 

So far I’m a fan. It’s a little more muted than the Tour TC 4w I’ve been gaming the last few years. It’s a little lower natural ball flight but I’m having success manipulating flight and shape @ the N, L, and H settings.

It looks and feels great. I’ll report back this weekend after a couple of rounds with it. I want to see how it behaves from the deck and if it’ll hold a green. My 4w lands so soft….

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Mako J said:

Thanks to @Nat  I got a chance to test a proto back in the winter. Great first impressions for winter time.

I recently bought one but I’ve only gotten to the range with it. It’ll be in play this week. 

So far I’m a fan. It’s a little more muted than the Tour TC 4w I’ve been gaming the last few years. It’s a little lower natural ball flight but I’m having success manipulating flight and shape @ the N, L, and H settings.

It looks and feels great. I’ll report back this weekend after a couple of rounds with it. I want to see how it behaves from the deck and if it’ll hold a green. My 4w lands so soft….

I REALLY LIKE the TC 4W.  The driver starts going awry on me late in the round.  I think I get fatigued and I start push fading/slicing.  I usually go to the 4W but the distance on some of the 400+ par 4 holes puts in a position where I have to start counting on a 3 shot green and hopefully 1 putting to try to make par.  If I can get an additional 10-15 yards off the tee with the TC Pro IST 3W I'm barely giving up distance from my driver with hopefully more control.  Then I can start focusing on my atrocious bunker play. 

Edited by wantacigar

Posted (edited)

Thinking about trying to do a shaft fitting (I am contemplating graphite iron shafts as my trail elbow is starting to bother me). I am in the TS1-IM which almost no fitter around these parts will have so what head do we think is comparable? A P770? Titleist T150? 

I have my eye on something in the 105g graphite range but it will be pricey so want to try some options first as I may not get along with them. In the past I have liked KBS Tour 120 and Nippon Modus 120, don't like project X so much. I am currently in the FST 125s which are fine but as I mentioned my elbow is starting to bark at me a bit. 

Edited by vandyfan

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 130X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

Thinking about trying to do a shaft fitting (I am contemplating graphite iron shafts as my trail elbow is starting to bother me). I am in the TS1-IM which almost no fitter around these parts will have so what head do we think is comparable? A P770? Titleist T150? 

I have my eye on something in the 105g graphite range but it will be pricey so want to try some options first as I may not get along with them. In the past I have liked KBS Tour 120 and Nippon Modus 120, don't like project X so much. I am currently in the FST 125s which are fine but as I mentioned my elbow is starting to bark at me a bit. 

Did you install Prosoft inserts in your steel shafts?  They help

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cwebb said:

I did not, that is a great idea. It seems they get installed into the butt end so that would only require removing the grips (which is fine, I actually do not like the current grips I have on there)?

• Like 2

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vandyfan said:

I'm currently playing P770 and have been testing the TS1-IM and I would say they are pretty similar.  TS1-IM looks slightly larger to my eye; maybe inbetween P770 and P790? Honestly I haven't switched because the TS1-IM and P770 seem pretty close and I'm wondering if I should just go TS3 for more forgiveness....I think I like the feel and performance of the P770 and TS1-IM better though.

Have you tried the RT105 shaft?  Fair price, but I wonder how many fitters would have it.  I built up my TS1-IM 6i demo with it and it seems really nice. The R+ is closer to S IMO and Robin Arthur said as much. I also have Recoil 110 F4 in an older set and I like that shaft as well, but have not tried the newer Dart version. I have DG105 in the P770 as that was stock offering and my joints are starting to feel that if I play 2 days in a row....which is rare. Probably time for a reshaft/swap.

UPDATE:  I have the 2021 TM P770 which I think has a higher CoG. Have not tried the newer models. I tend to prefer mid CoG and more traditional lofts; in my fittings I didn't do very well with the modern large SGI irons even though I think my iron game sucks.

Edited by KCEE
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

When I did a shaft fitting while playing TS1s, I hit P790s. Roughly the same size and tech. Since hitting off mats indoors, the bounce difference didn't come into play. The AVCOG was close as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

When I did a shaft fitting while playing TS1s, I hit P790s. Roughly the same size and tech. Since hitting off mats indoors, the bounce difference didn't come into play. The AVCOG was close as well.

If the 2024 version of P790 are used, it might produce different results.  TM have finally lowered the CG in the new version, it's in the range of the TS3 now.

I was surprised that they finally did what the marketing has been saying all along.  LOL

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

26 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

If the 2024 version of P790 are used, it might produce different results.  TM have finally lowered the CG in the new version, it's in the range of the TS3 now.

I was surprised that they finally did what the marketing has been saying all along.  LOL

Yes, I did the fittings a few year's ago. The P790 was a pretty good match at that time. I haven't checked the newer TM offerings. Good catch there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Yes, I did the fittings a few year's ago. The P790 was a pretty good match at that time. I haven't checked the newer TM offerings. Good catch there.

I realized I hadn't looked at the most recent P770, decided to take a look.  Actual VCOG of the 770 is .744" in the 2023 model.

Sounds like it would be a good analogue for the TS1-IM.

Switching tracks a bit...   am I remembering that you switched to the TS4?  I was wondering how those are working for you...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

When I was shopping for new PXG irons 2 years ago, I knew that TT renewed their Elavate shaft with VSS removed. So I asked and the PXG rep replied that VSS didn't really help reduce vibration from their test and TT decided to remove it.

I am not sure if that's true.

7 minutes ago, gensay said:

When I was shopping for new PXG irons 2 years ago, I knew that TT renewed their Elavate shaft with VSS removed. So I asked and the PXG rep replied that VSS didn't really help reduce vibration from their test and TT decided to remove it.

I am not sure if that's true.

Just one (old) man's opinion, but I don't think VSS or ProSofts help with shock dampening as much as graphite. I have D105 VSS in my P770s and it's nice enough, but I miss my Recoil 110 shafts. I also broke the shaft in my 9i (hidden tree root) and the fitter couldn't get me a new one from TM so he used a non VSS DG105 and I stuck a Prosoft in and the VSS a bit smoother feeling. 

I'll usually jam part of a Prosoft in the tip and then a full Prosoft part way down just under the grip. That helps and some cushier grips help too, but graphite is the way to go IMO if you are playing regularly and have some pain.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KCEE said:

Just one (old) man's opinion, but I don't think VSS or ProSofts help with shock dampening as much as graphite. I have D105 VSS in my P770s and it's nice enough, but I miss my Recoil 110 shafts. I also broke the shaft in my 9i (hidden tree root) and the fitter couldn't get me a new one from TM so he used a non VSS DG105 and I stuck a Prosoft in and the VSS a bit smoother feeling. 

I'll usually jam part of a Prosoft in the tip and then a full Prosoft part way down just under the grip. That helps and some cushier grips help too, but graphite is the way to go IMO if you are playing regularly and have some pain.

They definitely do not dampen as much as graphite.

If someone already has a steel shafted set that they like, but would like to dampen vibration, I see no reason not to try them....or at least one in a test club.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KCEE said:

The thrifty miser in me will probably start with the inserts and if that doesn't bring enough or any relief then I will migrate over to a graphite shaft fitting. Most of the 100g graphite shafts seem to run $45-60/per shaft so that is not nothing. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

7 hours ago, CopperCup1987 said:

I want to build my first set of clubs and am thinking of going with ts3’s but I want to use ferrules from BB&F. Which ferrule would work best for dynamic gold s300 shaft? 

Check out the ‘designer ferrules’ Golf Works in making.  Pretty good looking at a great price. Can’t tell any difference compared to any of the BB&F stuff.  Just cheaper flair!

• Like 2

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @9.5* w/Maltby MPF DR (S) 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @14.5* w/UST ProForce V2 75R 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @19* w/UST ProForce V2 75R

PXG 0317X Proto @22* w/MMT 80S

Maltby TE+ 5-6  w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Maltby TS4 7-G w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Mizuno T24 56/60 DG S400

*The putter committee*

30 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

The thrifty miser in me will probably start with the inserts and if that doesn't bring enough or any relief then I will migrate over to a graphite shaft fitting. Most of the 100g graphite shafts seem to run $45-60/per shaft so that is not nothing. 

Yes shafts aren't cheap and they are exactly why I go for fittings because it would cost too much to try even a handful.

I think my Recoil 110 were originally $45 each and then later $55. I see KBS has some steel shafts for $70 now so graphite doesn't look quite so bad. I recently bought some RT105 on sale for < $40 which seemed like a bargain.

• Like 1

Have you tried the RT105 shaft?  Fair price, but I wonder how many fitters would have it.  I built up my TS1-IM 6i demo with it and it seems really nice. The R+ is closer to S IMO and Robin Arthur said as much. I also have Recoil 110 F4 in an older set and I like that shaft as well, but have not tried the newer Dart version. I have DG105 in the P770 as that was stock offering and my joints are starting to feel that if I play 2 days in a row....which is rare. Probably time for a reshaft/swap.

UPDATE:  I have the 2021 TM P770 which I think has a higher CoG. Have not tried the newer models. I tend to prefer mid CoG and more traditional lofts; in my fittings I didn't do very well with the modern large SGI irons even though I think my iron game sucks.

I agree with the RT--   I play the TS-3 in RT 95 R- flex hardstepped once.   With the low BBGM of the TS series-- that equates to nearly 2 hardsteps.    They are wonderful shafts.   I have a shoulder I replaced in 2019 and will not ever play steel again.  Graphite is more consistent IMO also.

When it comes to the TS series-- I have owned and played the TS-1, TS-2- Recoil 680 F-4.   VERY GOOD.     Sold those as I cannot resist NEW--   I now have the TS-3 and TS-1IM -- TS1-IM are shafted in ALdila NV.    75 gram (#5 #6 irons)  85 gram ( #7-8-9 Irons)  95 gram ( PW- GW).     You cannot go wrong with either of the new series.   I am not sure I can tell much of a difference in forgiveness or performance between my TS-1IM and TS-3.    They are just great clubs.

Best of luck.

My NEXT graphite set will be the TS-4 in Rapport Core Blue stiff.   I have six shafts waiting...    Many good reviews of these.  The value is VERY good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CopperCup1987 said:

I want to build my first set of clubs and am thinking of going with ts3’s but I want to use ferrules from BB&F. Which ferrule would work best for dynamic gold s300 shaft? 

Their ferrules are all made for .355 shafts but can be softened/stretched or, ideally, gently reamed out to fit .370 if that's what you have. Other than that, they're all going to "work" the same, it's just an aesthetics thing. One person's opinion: the first time you build them, just order the most basic/cheap ferrules you can find. Get to know the clubs and how to build, THEN do the ferrule project as a separate endeavor, later. You'll already have all the tools you need from the first build. Those ferrules are cool (I think I've done like 4 sets?) but not cheap, so you want to be sure of what you want AND confident in your skills before you do them.

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I realized I hadn't looked at the most recent P770, decided to take a look.  Actual VCOG of the 770 is .744" in the 2023 model.

Sounds like it would be a good analogue for the TS1-IM.

Switching tracks a bit...   am I remembering that you switched to the TS4?  I was wondering how those are working for you...

Yes. I switched to the TS4s. I am liking them. Clean, simple lines. I haven't reached full potential with them yet though.

In the middle of a swing change. Rope hook extraction. Hard to get the barb to come loose. When I find the sweet spot and execute, I immediately drop into the low 70s to high 60s. Getting closer on the swing. Driver (last couple rounds I am back to full send mode and still hitting fairways) may have just gotten fixed and now need to tweak iron swing appropriately. Hoping to sneak back down to scratch by the end of the year (currently 2.0).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CopperCup1987 said:

Depending on what tip size S300 you are using will vary with what ferrule you order. With that said a .355 ferrule can be reamed out to work on a .370. 

Some of the BB&F are specifically made for .355 and some for .370. But the differences are minor. By the time the ferrule is high enough on the shaft to match the hosel its .370 anyways. 

So basically any one you want designed for an iron. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mynameisntshawn said:

Their ferrules are all made for .355 shafts but can be softened/stretched or, ideally, gently reamed out to fit .370 if that's what you have. Other than that, they're all going to "work" the same, it's just an aesthetics thing. One person's opinion: the first time you build them, just order the most basic/cheap ferrules you can find. Get to know the clubs and how to build, THEN do the ferrule project as a separate endeavor, later. You'll already have all the tools you need from the first build. Those ferrules are cool (I think I've done like 4 sets?) but not cheap, so you want to be sure of what you want AND confident in your skills before you do them.

I’ve built fishing rods in the past but recently picked up golfing and the way the components go together reminds of how I built all my fishing rods. I’m fairly certain I won’t have problems assembling them now I now I can ream the ferrules or get them to soften up a little bit. Thanks for the info!