2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I did not weigh the heads but I did check loft and lie on three of them. They were all very close. 7 iron swing weighted at D-1.5. 

After final assembly I'll make sure they are all on spec. I usually do not do any thing with loft and lie till after they are done. 

Only reason I checked was a customer was over when they arrived. He was more than curious. 

Okay, that's cool...  I have to say that I cannot really imagine building a set of clubs without weighing all of the components.  LOL I guess that is OCD or something?

On 2/7/2023 at 1:22 PM, Popeye64 said:

I see some PTM influences and to me that's a GREAT thing. I loved the PTMs and only dropped them once they came out of cycle. 

I'm hoping for that same level of forginess with great feel. Being a solid forging I hope they will eclipse the TS-1 in feel and feedback. 

I just hope they arrive in time to be hit in the simulator. 

Eager to hear your feedback. I thought the PTM was a great iron. My only quibble was the blade length was a little long, more my preference to see a slightly more squat-looking head. Are the TS3s slightly shorter blade length? If they are a bit more compact than the PTM, that’s perfect. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Maybe a brand new thread should be opened in the equipment forum?  Maltby 2023 releases?

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

I'll post it now!

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

New thread - in equipment - Golf Works - Maltby 2023 New Releases

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

2 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Okay, that's cool...  I have to say that I cannot really imagine building a set of clubs without weighing all of the components.  LOL I guess that is OCD or something?

I swing weight as I build. So a gram here or a gram there actually makes little to no difference in what components weigh. 

If I was hand selecting a set of heads. Or weighed every shaft and grip to match things up??? 99 % of golfers would never be able to tell one set from another. 

All that matters to me is the end build. 

• Like 1

So I spent a good amount of range time with the TS3. I also had a TS1, TS2 and an STi2. They were all set up similar EXCEPT.. the STi2 had a 75g A flex. I'm missing the KE4 Max picture but it was super close with the TS1 and TS2. 

I took pictures of 4 shot groups of the irons. Good bad or ugly it was in a group. 

I started with the STi2 and thought it was strange on the first swing. The next three I got after it. More on this later. 

I went through the the other three and a clear winner showed up. 

The TS3 was head and shoulders above the rest in consistency, feel, dispersion and shockingly distance. 

The TS3 is at 32° but it went the furthest. I backed up the TS3 test with another 4 shot group and took a picture of the ball flight and dispersion. Great angle of descent and flight. My buddy the Pro was very impressed with how they flew. 

Pictures are on next post. I would like to repeat this test outdoors at some time. I just hate the mats at this simulator. 

Edited by Popeye64
  • Like 2

Forgot the pictures.

About the STi2 combo. I should have recorded that club a second time. The results with the 75A were awesome. I even handed it to two other guys with out saying how it was built. They both stripped it. 

When you look at the screen shot of the STi2 it doesn't tell the story as my first shot I babies it a bit when I realized it was only an A flex. When I got after it, it simply just responded and was shockingly consistent. And LONG. 

I normally build the STi2 clubs for seniors or women as usually they are very budget conscious. Shocked at how well it did. 

20230209_122735.jpg

20230209_123133.jpg

20230209_123609.jpg

20230209_124413.jpg

20230209_124612.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting numbers, in these types of things I tend to look at spin and carry. The average spin is pretty close but the TS3 decidedly longer. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

Forgot the pictures.

About the STi2 combo. I should have recorded that club a second time. The results with the 75A were awesome. I even handed it to two other guys with out saying how it was built. They both stripped it. 

When you look at the screen shot of the STi2 it doesn't tell the story as my first shot I babies it a bit when I realized it was only an A flex. When I got after it, it simply just responded and was shockingly consistent. And LONG. 

I normally build the STi2 clubs for seniors or women as usually they are very budget conscious. Shocked at how well it did. 

20230209_122735.jpg

20230209_123133.jpg

20230209_123609.jpg

20230209_124413.jpg

20230209_124612.jpg

Could you please post in the new thread created today!  Much appreciated.

Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

1 minute ago, Klubster said:

I find it interesting how similar your "best" shot was with each club.  Same shafts except that A flex?

Yes. For some reason the TS3 was just more consistent. So yes the best shots were similar but not as repeatable. 

None of these clubs should really outperform another's in perfect contact. It's more about being consistent. 

I really consider my Testing to be half way done. I will redo the test outdoors in nice turf. Having the turf give way as opposed to the mat grabbing the club really influences results. I don't expect major changes just some affirmation. 

I'm still shaking my head over how the A flex shaft did. 

I will say that I did other 4 shot groups with almost exact results with all the clubs. 

The end of the session I hit the Sti2 a ton. I had quite a few back to back shots that were nearly identical on the tracers. The A flex setup deserves some closer attention. 

2 minutes ago, elsie451 said:

@Popeye64 Mind if i ask what brand/model the 75A shaft is.  Also, it sounds like the ts3 will be kicking the ke4 max out of the bag?

The 75 A was a Rapid Taper. I will state that I no longer have anything to do with Xcaliber. 

It shouldn't have performed the way it did. 

As for the KE4 Max getting ejected I'll do a full bag shootout between the two. But out doors. If my only choice was feel based the TS3 would win. 

There will be a lot to consider because all around the Max irons performed way above thier stature as an inexpensive iron head.

Looks wise the TS3 also wins. It's an iron head I would personally design if I had a say in things.  I think it will come down to how the entire bag performs. Right now for me the Max set up has no weaknesses. 

I'm a huge fan of being able to dual in the swing weight on the Max heads. That's so unique in golf. 

@Popeye64 awesome reporting!  And really appreciate your excellent commentary and advice on several forums.

as for the A flex , some players can adjust quickly to a different bend profiles.  Being able to adjust to a lower weight as a strong swinger is very impressive!

As for the new heads from Golfworks, my conclusion is I need to build a set of each of them!

Thank you for continuing these comparisons. I've tried a couple times to post questions on the GW site and can never get a real answer other than 'specs are posted' or 'there's no way to compare'. I have Maltby wedges (TSW DRM Forged) and putter (Pure-Track Tour Milled PTM-5 Mallet w/ SS shaft) added last season and really am impressed with them. Replacing a whole iron set is another story, especially without seeing or trying in person.

Anyways, I'll ask my real questions here and maybe you'd be kind enough to provide some opinions. I have PXG 0211 DC irons (w/ Mitsubishi MMT R flex) +2 degrees to make them more 'standard' lofts. I've just always wanted forged irons, and I've been looking at the TS2 for a long time, but waited until the TS3 came out in case it was better suited. I'm guessing the PXG is going to be quite a bit bigger than both (TS2 & TS3) all around (length, height, sole, top line), and that's ok, I'm just not looking to get myself into some kind of club that has no forgiveness or distance advantage in comparison, just because it's forged. The close comparison to the KE4 Max makes me more comfortable since I would think that's a 'game improvement' iron as well. I also saw some good comments on the TT Score LT shaft, which is good since I'm sure whatever Pak they offer will start with that, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay the premium for graphite.

Any thoughts on if I'd be crazy to make the PXG 0211 DC switch to TS3 or TS2 would be great? I just worry about ordering clubs that are meant for someone in a better skill set. P.S. I'm not terrible, been playing a long time, but I might make more bogeys than pars still, so I'm not looking for 'player's' category anything.

@Popeye I am not trying to be argumentative but simply ask about some things I see in your numbers and reconcile what you reported.

I don't see how you babied the STi2 first shot, from what I see, you babied the TS-1 and TS-2.  They both had low ball speeds of 110, much lower than the ST12 low ball speed of 113.  The yardage dispersion looks to come from ball speed.  All balls moving at 120 carried 175. You said this in your post "None of these clubs should really outperform another's in perfect contact. It's more about being consistent" which is correct in my mind and what the ball speed/ carry distance did in fact show.

As for dispersion, the TS-3 shots were Right and Left. You were pulling the STi2 and the TS-2 and quite a bit more left and right with the TS-1. You were actually tighter with the TS-2 albeit more left. So I am not assuming L/R dispersion is a TS-3 benefit, as it really can't be.

I am just guessing here but could it be what you are seeing/saying is that the MPF on the TS-3 was so good that of all of the difference in ball speed based on strike location, the TS-3 produced the most consistent ball speed? Of the four clubs, the TS-3 showed the tightest ball speed differences. I am guessing your swing speed was fairly close and that it was your strike location that varied. The TS-3, in your experience, did more to erase slight mishits than all the other clubs.

So the bottom line to my question is this:  what is making you so excited about the TS-3?  Did I guess correctly or is there more?

Thank you as always. 

3 minutes ago, ode said:

Interesting the TS3 spin the least🤔...I know it's only a few hundred rpm and your swing, so YMMV, etc.  I will be curious if that stays constant through your testing.  Is the loft on spec?

Yes, it does appear that the TS3 spin less and carry further.   Also, could some of these results be the effect of

differing loft or lie specs ?  Were the lies checked ?   Just curious as I have the TS3 in my sights.

13 minutes ago, terry55 said:

@Popeye I am not trying to be argumentative but simply ask about some things I see in your numbers and reconcile what you reported.

I don't see how you babied the STi2 first shot, from what I see, you babied the TS-1 and TS-2.  They both had low ball speeds of 110, much lower than the ST12 low ball speed of 113.  The yardage dispersion looks to come from ball speed.  All balls moving at 120 carried 175. You said this in your post "None of these clubs should really outperform another's in perfect contact. It's more about being consistent" which is correct in my mind and what the ball speed/ carry distance did in fact show.

As for dispersion, the TS-3 shots were Right and Left. You were pulling the STi2 and the TS-2 and quite a bit more left and right with the TS-1. You were actually tighter with the TS-2 albeit more left. So I am not assuming L/R dispersion is a TS-3 benefit, as it really can't be.

I am just guessing here but could it be what you are seeing/saying is that the MPF on the TS-3 was so good that of all of the difference in ball speed based on strike location, the TS-3 produced the most consistent ball speed? Of the four clubs, the TS-3 showed the tightest ball speed differences. I am guessing your swing speed was fairly close and that it was your strike location that varied. The TS-3, in your experience, did more to erase slight mishits than all the other clubs.

So the bottom line to my question is this:  what is making you so excited about the TS-3?  Did I guess correctly or is there more?

Thank you as always. 

None of these 4 shot views had deleted shots. I tried to put the best swing on every strike. 

The TS3 had the most consistent results for distance. As you see in the screen shot of the 2nd run with the TS3 I'm really happy with that dispersion. Maybe it's not for you... But I'll take that. 

This testing is far from over and the first glimpse of what I'll do. 

The outdoor sample from the day before was awesome. When in the simulator I saw more of the same. 

Keeping track of what 5 clubs do and where they are going is not the easiest thing to do. I'm a feel player and consistently work the ball from left to right. Always have. A miss can become a pull. 

Right now my swing is just OK since we are still in the middle of winter. 

So with that I felt the most consistent with the TS3 as for distance, observed ball flight and feel. 

You can interpret the information as you wish. 

If Flightscope software wasn't such a pain in the A I would have shown the full shot by shot data. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DblEgl said:

Yes, it does appear that the TS3 spin less and carry further.   Also, could some of these results be the effect of

differing loft or lie specs ?  Were the lies checked ?   Just curious as I have the TS3 in my sights.

Lofts were all on spec as well as lies. I'm away for the next two weeks. When I'm back I'll do a whole lot more testing which will include larger sample sizes. 

• Like 3