2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 6/25/2022 at 4:54 AM, Colej said:

The 95 are a great shaft and for me, have a noticeable kick. Not sure if that lead to me not being able to time my shots? I just didn’t like them as much on partial shots. The 105 are more stout but definitely don’t feel like rebar. They’ve got a smooth feel but don’t have that hard kick of the 95. 

that’s my .02 cents lol

Good to know. There was just a hair too much kick for me in the 95 that led to over drawing at times

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, Popeye64 said:

Wow.. my PTM Blacks sold in 30 minutes. Must not have asked enough. Someone is getting a great set of irons. 

Damn, I wish I saw them....   Someone got a heck of a deal.  Love my TS-2s, but would have liked to try them out.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Popeye sold me on trying the KE4 MAX irons.  

Now I just have to wait.....

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

On 6/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, SE Gamer said:

Had started my own thread about my experience going to GolfWorks. And picking up a TS1 7 iron for testing while I was out there. Figured I'd share some intel I learned in the process here. As it seems to be somewhat of a Maltby catch-all discussion.

So, their pro shop lead mentioned to me that they have a new iteration of the TS1 on the horizon; the TS1 IM. It looks like it may have been referenced in this thread. So, apologies if this is redundant. I've asked some questions via email in some follow-ups and thought I'd share what I've learned here.

TS1 IM details:

• Will have more polymer injected into the heads, in an effort to improve both sound and feel
  • Polymer will now be injected into the PW and GW as well
  • Subtle loft changes aimed at improved gap progression, but will also add some minor distance gains
  • Minor tweaks to the sole size (slightly larger, especially in the shorter irons)

It sounded like, at the core, their primary goal was to improve sound and feel. They also don't seem to be certain on whether the TS1 will continue on. Or if it'll be sold in tandem with their new IM version. No idea on release date, but sounded like it could be next year. 

While it doesn't sound like it'll be markedly different. The improvements they're focusing on make sense. Only downside is now I'm not sure whether I should hold off on my planned TS1 set purchase. Sometimes knowing stuff like this is more of a curse, lol.

Thank you for sharing as I am in the same boat. Was planning a trip there this summer to test everything out and probably buy a set of TS1s. Now that I see a revised version coming and the TS3s…I am postponing my trip until next year!

40 minutes ago, Bryceslu said:

Thank you for sharing as I am in the same boat. Was planning a trip there this summer to test everything out and probably buy a set of TS1s. Now that I see a revised version coming and the TS3s…I am postponing my trip until next year!

No problem! Whenever you make it out, I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Was my first time out there (about 25 min away). They were super helpful. Had a GCQuad for fittings and everything (free with any purchase). And I really like that they aren't all hush-hush about new stuff on the horizon. The downside is it makes it tough to pull the trigger, lol.

Will make sure to update here if I learn anything more. 

The dreaded.... ULTRA GAME IMPROVEMENT SWING... 

I always forget what happens when I game one of these sets. In my head I think... this will go far. Not completing my swing, weak shot to the right. At least it was for only one round. But damn it happens all the time. Give me an aggressive iron and I swing through aggressively. Give me a Game Improvement design and after a while I get lazy and expect the iron to do the work. I Love and Hate golf all at the same time. 

Today was back to good scoring, 74... but Sunday was an epic train wreck 82. It was a truly ugly 82 at that. A Beautiful course Radnor Valley. A gettable course. Played like an idiot for most of the round. Went bogey, bogey, bogey. Then a bunch more bogeyness from there on in. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Is the idea of The new TS1 head to be more forgiving?

just bought Takomo 101 iron heads and pairing it with some new TSW 50* and 56* wedges. Also picked up the Maltby 14 way bag. I’m assuming it’s just a rebranded Maxfli.

I'm just positing here, so take it with a grain of salt. My impression is the sole changes could contribute to some forgiveness improvements. And, since the PW and GW will now be constructed the same as the rest of the set, that too should bring some forgiveness.

But in a broader context, it didn't sound like the primary focus was improving forgiveness. Instead, it was more about improving sound and feel. Which I frankly think are pretty solid already. So I really imagine the new version won't be significantly different.  

Thinking it'll be along the lines of comparing the current P790, Apex Pro, Forged Tec, etc. to their prior iterations. Are you going to notice a crazy difference between your current TS1 and the IM model? Probably not. But if you don't yet have a set, the IM may be the better choice. 

• Like 1

Got a chance to hit my TS1 3 iron yesterday....

I shafted it with a Rapid Taper 95 stiff, 39" club length, lead taped to D5.  I've only hit two shots with it so far, can only give initial impressions.

Both shots were tee balls, one on a par 5 with trouble, one on a longish par 3.  First shot was flushed, ball mark in the center of the face, but blocked a bit.  Distance was more than I normally see from my 3 iron, which isn't a surprise considering the point of the hollow clubhead  Second shot was thinned a bit, I wound up short, and surprisingly not that much different than I find myself with a similar contact 3i shot on that hole.

Trajectory was reasonably high.  I didn't tee the ball up at all, but still got a good trajectory.  Not too high, either.

Not a fan of the feel, at this point.  I'm a blade player, with Mizunos in the bag at the moment, the clicky feel is a little odd to me.

I like the sole, the front to back camber is something I appreciate as a somewhat steeper player.

More to come as I keep experimenting with the stick.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Well nothing feels like a Mizuno or do they say 

I'd say nothing feel better than a well constructed blade. I'll put my SE 600B up against just about anything out there. Hit them side-by-side with the Mizuno 221 recently. Former felt better.

But, on the actual topic of the TS1 (and any hollow-body iron). I think expectations need to be tempered. Does the TS1 feel as good as my blades? Nope. Does it feel as good or better than any of the other brands in its class? Absolutely. 

The feel is definitely different. And I think a lot will come down to personal preference. I've even been a feel snob. But I've kind of had to tell myself to just accept what it is, and appreciate the tradeoffs. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 12:25 PM, SE Gamer said:

I'm just positing here, so take it with a grain of salt. My impression is the sole changes could contribute to some forgiveness improvements. And, since the PW and GW will now be constructed the same as the rest of the set, that too should bring some forgiveness.

But in a broader context, it didn't sound like the primary focus was improving forgiveness. Instead, it was more about improving sound and feel. Which I frankly think are pretty solid already. So I really imagine the new version won't be significantly different.  

Thinking it'll be along the lines of comparing the current P790, Apex Pro, Forged Tec, etc. to their prior iterations. Are you going to notice a crazy difference between your current TS1 and the IM model? Probably not. But if you don't yet have a set, the IM may be the better choice. 

I understand your reference to the iterations of P790 and Apex Pro but this is Maltby making a tweak in a club. Forgive me if I don't have a deep history but  I always assumed Maltby made changes that had a noticeable difference. I can only assume they are bringing the TS-1 up to a certain level and then away the current TS-1's go. The choice will be between the TS-1 and the TS-4, not the TS-1 and the TS-1 IM.  This is just me guessing. 

56 minutes ago, terry55 said:

I understand your reference to the iterations of P790 and Apex Pro but this is Maltby making a tweak in a club. Forgive me if I don't have a deep history but  I always assumed Maltby made changes that had a noticeable difference. I can only assume they are bringing the TS-1 up to a certain level and then away the current TS-1's go. The choice will be between the TS-1 and the TS-4, not the TS-1 and the TS-1 IM.  This is just me guessing. 

I think that's likely what'll happen (i.e. the IM will replace the "old" TS1). That is, unless the IM is markedly different than the TS1. But that doesn't seem likely. 

ETA: I see where the confusion maybe came in my earlier post. I was trying to indicate that those who already play the TS1 might not be the market that needs to run out and replace them with the IM model. And those in the market may want to hold off for the IM; as it should at least offer some nominal improvements. 

Edited by SE Gamer

12 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

I think that's likely what'll happen (i.e. the IM will replace the "old" TS1). That is, unless the IM is markedly different than the TS1. But that doesn't seem likely. 

ETA: I see where the confusion maybe came in my earlier post. I was trying to indicate that those who already play the TS1 might not be the market that needs to run out and replace them with the IM model. And those in the market may want to hold off for the IM; as it should at least offer some nominal improvements. 

I apologize if I came across as attacking your comments, I wasn't. What you wrote made me think... My stream of conscientiousness went like this:  Maltby doesn't play the iteration every two years game; there isn't a compelling reason to change the TS-1; something different is at play.  It has to be the differentiation in the 2023 lineup. Push the TS-1 as far into the hollow body design as possible and clean up a little purist issues (sound, feel) and leave room for the TS-4. Brett has already said the TS-4 will come in close to the TS-1 in forgiveness and feel. I can't figure out the reason for the TS-1 IM version without stepping back and looking at the whole. No one was screaming "fix this" about the current TS-1. 

So your original comment was thought provoking and I appreciated and responded to it. Thank you.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, terry55 said:

I apologize if I came across as attacking your comments, I wasn't. What you wrote made me think... My stream of conscientiousness went like this:  Maltby doesn't play the iteration every two years game; there isn't a compelling reason to change the TS-1; something different is at play.  It has to be the differentiation in the 2023 lineup. Push the TS-1 as far into the hollow body design as possible and clean up a little purist issues (sound, feel) and leave room for the TS-4. Brett has already said the TS-4 will come in close to the TS-1 in forgiveness and feel. I can't figure out the reason for the TS-1 IM version without stepping back and looking at the whole. No one was screaming "fix this" about the current TS-1. 

So your original comment was thought provoking and I appreciated and responded to it. Thank you.  

If you think about a design in a production content.. the forging molds only hold up for so long. The TS1 has been in production for over two years. I'm sure that the molds are ready to be replaced. 

Britt and Pete had ideas on how to improve the TS-1. So what better time to implement the changes? 

Maltby has long had Legacy heads. Designs that had longevity in the catalog. They would get tweaked every so often. Look at how far the TE head has traveled. Its design has slowly morphed for at least 15 years, ive actually forgotten what it was initially called... Minor but defined changes. Those changes happened about 3 or 4 years apart. Sometimes longer. 

But let's face it. The industry as a whole has pushed for the bigger, better, newer product lines. Yes the TS-1 has sold extremely well, at record pace I believe. But a slight refresh can keep that juggernaut moving. 

In a very recent phone call to Customer Service had me talking with someone 'filling in' on the phones. She said they have NEVER been busier with the online orders and are overwhelmed. Though it wasn't her job to answer the phones she was doing what she could. 

Maltby irons in recent years have been at the cutting edge of performance and design. The biggest knock on Maltby has always been cosmetics. Right now cosmetically they are as good looking or better than any component available, also rival some OEMs.  I'm sure they want to keep that going forward. 

Frankly given the success of the TS-1 the changes took me by surprise. I look forward to the coming year of product releases. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terry55 said:

No worries at all. I didn't even register your comment as being remotely critical. Just felt it raised a good point of clarification in my earlier post. 

Definitely agree with the remainder of your comments/insights. 

4 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Even before the M 0 series which there were a few you can trace back the lineage to the Maltby Logic tradition and Pro

Maltby-Logic-Pro-Forged-300x195.jpg

Built a set of those years ago for an old boss, with some Rifle shafts. He absolutely loved those, and his handicap went down a few strokes. 

• Like 3

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

• 2 weeks later...

Put my TS1 3 iron in my bag, replacing my Ram 3 iron.  I'd hesitated doing that with my Mizunos, due to shaft weight; they have Recoil 125 in them.  The Golden Rams in the bag have 105g shafts, it's less of a drop to the RT95 in the TS1.

Not that it matters, I'm also carrying an MP20 HMB 2 iron in place of hybrid at the moment.

Got a chance to hit the club 3 or 4 times, largely off the tee.  A couple times, I went out of my way to hit it instead of the 2 iron that I'd have usually hit, just to see.  Had that clicky feel only on one shot, which was a slightly high on face contact, the centered shots had a feel same as any of my blades.  Found that rather nice.

Distance is about the same as my Golden Ram, maybe a couple yards longer at most.  On the clicky contact, I'd happened to check the distance from the tee to a tree behind the markers, so I could see how far I'd hit it.  It was within a couple yards of what I'd expect to hit my 3 iron.

Keeping it in the bag for now.  🙂

I could see myself building a set of these, but I'm far more interested in the upcoming TS4.  

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

22 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Put my TS1 3 iron in my bag, replacing my Ram 3 iron.  I'd hesitated doing that with my Mizunos, due to shaft weight; they have Recoil 125 in them.  The Golden Rams in the bag have 105g shafts, it's less of a drop to the RT95 in the TS1.

Not that it matters, I'm also carrying an MP20 HMB 2 iron in place of hybrid at the moment.

Got a chance to hit the club 3 or 4 times, largely off the tee.  A couple times, I went out of my way to hit it instead of the 2 iron that I'd have usually hit, just to see.  Had that clicky feel only on one shot, which was a slightly high on face contact, the centered shots had a feel same as any of my blades.  Found that rather nice.

Distance is about the same as my Golden Ram, maybe a couple yards longer at most.  On the clicky contact, I'd happened to check the distance from the tee to a tree behind the markers, so I could see how far I'd hit it.  It was within a couple yards of what I'd expect to hit my 3 iron.

Keeping it in the bag for now.  🙂

I could see myself building a set of these, but I'm far more interested in the upcoming TS4.  

I am like you, waiting for the TS-4 although I am playing the TS-1 now. 

Here are some comments from Britt on the TS-1 to the TS-4 comparison: 

"the playability should be similar, but until I get the entire prototype set of the TS4 and test, I can not say for sure if the launch and spin numbers will be noticeably different. TS4 will have a degree more loft, but the vertical cg may be very slightly higher than the TS1, but the cg location is not final yet. Whether they feel different will be something each player will have to determine. For me, they both feel great comparing the #6 irons. Honestly, so far with the limited comparable testing I have done, no real feel difference. Need to do more in playing conditions with specific golf balls, etc. to be definitive, but not expecting any noticeable difference."

On 6/29/2022 at 10:36 PM, Popeye64 said:

The dreaded.... ULTRA GAME IMPROVEMENT SWING... 

I always forget what happens when I game one of these sets. In my head I think... this will go far. Not completing my swing, weak shot to the right. At least it was for only one round. But damn it happens all the time. Give me an aggressive iron and I swing through aggressively. Give me a Game Improvement design and after a while I get lazy and expect the iron to do the work. I Love and Hate golf all at the same time. 

Today was back to good scoring, 74... but Sunday was an epic train wreck 82. It was a truly ugly 82 at that. A Beautiful course Radnor Valley. A gettable course. Played like an idiot for most of the round. Went bogey, bogey, bogey. Then a bunch more bogeyness from there on in. 

Is that Radnor Valley Country Club in PA? If so, small world, I live in that general area!

• Thanks 1

Bunch of Maltby clubs in my work shop this week. 

First up is a KE4 Tour TC 5 wood.  This was the standard club pack and will go to my dad.  He has an old Steelhead III 5 wood that he's been playing for like 20 years.  It is starting to fall apart on him.  I'm curious to see if it can do some work for him.  I think these look really good.

52237235209_0f52a37634_o.jpg

52236954471_4fc121636b_o.jpg

52235974707_1b13158848_o.jpg

I did a quick test in my back yard between my gamer Callaway Epic Flash 18* 3 hybrid, a Cobra F8+ 18.5* 5 wood, and the Maltby.  I haven't quite dialed in these comparison tests yet.  I'm using a Bushnell Launch Pro, a driving range mat, and a hitting net.  I think that on this mat I tend to catch it lower on the face and my launch goes down / spin up / and carry is suppressed.  But even still I found the Maltby held nothing back compared to the other two.

52238426777_46f8b68fcb_o.png

• Like 3

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

Next up I am testing a KE4 Max 7 and 8 iron. 

52237445265_4537f374bf_o.jpg

52237445215_7bd9d71143_o.jpg

52237235574_d34a59083a_o.jpg

52235975007_1ac8292bf2_o.jpg

52237444670_bc24b814e4_o.jpg

52237444810_8e281fc72e_o.jpg

My first impressions are really good.  I think they look great.  I love the direction Maltby is going with a more clean and understated look with less color.  I find the overall shaping to be quite pleasing.  I'm kinda getting a Cleveland TA7 vibe?  The rear toe area with the weight is very bulbous, but gets hidden nicely. 

I hit a few shots with the 8 iron.  Launched high with good distance.  Feel was good.  I had one flusher and one miss hit back to back.  Both were on the green. 

I'm very certain I will find a way to combo this with other Maltby irons.  Overall rating is very high from me.

• Like 2

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

My WITB Shenanigans

Then I impulse splurged on a MAX Milled wedge.  I have been playing the TSW DRM wedges for over a year now.  I LOVE them.  I would advocate very highly for the Maltby wedges.  It is just such a no brainer for me.  Great looks and performance.  I can get a fresh head every year for new grooves. 

The Max intrigued me for the full face grooves. 

52237235579_ef0b02f917_o.jpg

52236965723_f0901b0729_o.jpg

52237235284_cd215bbd44_o.jpg

52239429468_e94f12834e_o.jpg

I think the wedge looks okay in the bag.  Again, I love the cleaner look and style.  The two screw weights and the channel look great.  The milling on the base and full face grooves remind me a LOT of the TaylorMade hi toe from a few years back.  I dunno if I like the milling on the base. 

Setting it down by a ball my impression is that the face looks very BIG.  Lots of chunky hosel curve up to the top line.  Maybe the full face grooves are playing tricks on my eye.  But the DRM seems more like a tear drop type head.  The Max just flat out seems beefier.  I didn't love that.

Performance was great.  I hit a fantastic bunker shot and was very satisfied to see the impact location out on the toe.  The weight and the grooves nailed that type of shot. 

This was a fun experiment and I will continue to test it.  But my first reaction is that the DRM looks much cleaner to my eye down by the ball.  I think wedge shaping can be very personal.  I might be intrigued to try and take the Max to my grinding wheel...

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

My WITB Shenanigans