Anchoring Rule basically dead

rafal

There’s a smell test in golf that will always tell the truth. If anchoring was an advantage everyone would do it

Your logic smells fallacious. :swoon:

No it actually makes perfect sense. For example, Phil tried it and said he couldn't make it work.

But Sui is right from a logic stand point, Carl's argument is a type of false dilemma, or bifurcation fallacy. The advantage doesn't have to be all or nothing to exist. Just because some may have an advantage with a long putter and others don't, doesn't automatically disqualify the advantage for the players that do, that is the fallacy. It's similar to saying "if length was an advantage on the PGA Tour, everyone would hit it 350."

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s a smell test in golf that will always tell the truth. If anchoring was an advantage everyone would do it

No it actually makes perfect sense. For example, Phil tried it and said he couldn't make it work.

But Sui is right from a logic stand point, Carl's argument is a type of false dilemma, or bifurcation fallacy. The advantage doesn't have to be all or nothing to exist. Just because some may have an advantage with a long putter and others don't, doesn't automatically disqualify the advantage for the players that do, that is the fallacy. It's similar to saying "if length was an advantage on the PGA Tour, everyone would hit it 350."

However, in this case the premise that the anchored stoke provided any advantage was and is absolute conjecture. The rule making bodies had decades of data on anchored putting which they ignored and chose to instead invoke the “spirit of the game” argument. This rules decision was the result of the rule makers feelings and not about the hard data. That’s what makes it so contentious. You either have the same feelings about the “stoke” as the rule makers or you are about the data.

im just saying it clearly wasn’t enough of an advantage for all the hubbub rule changing

You might wish to read about the reason for R14-1b.

USGA, R&A Approve Rule 14-1b, MAY 20, 2013, By USGA

The United States Golf Association and The R&A, golf’s governing bodies, today announced the adoption of Rule 14-1b of the Rules of Golf that prohibits anchoring the club in making a stroke. The new Rule will take effect on January 1, 2016, in accordance with the regular four-year cycle for changes to the Rules of Golf.

Rule 14-1b, which was proposed on November 28, 2012, has now been given final approval by the USGA and The R&A following an extensive review by both organizations. The decision to adopt the new Rule came after a comprehensive process in which comments and suggestions from across the golf community were collected and thoroughly considered.

The USGA and The R&A have prepared a detailed report to explain the reasons for the decision to adopt Rule 14-1b. The report explains the principles on which the Rules of Golf are founded, why freely swinging the entire club is the essence of the traditional method of stroke, and why anchoring is a substantially different form of stroke that may alter and diminish the fundamental challenges of the game. It points out that the Rule will still allow the use of belly-length and long putters and that a wide variety of types of strokes remain for players to use. The report concludes that the new Rule should not adversely affect participation in the game, that it is not too late or unfair to require players to comply with it and that it will remove concerns about any potential advantage that anchoring provides. It also makes clear that one set of Rules is essential to the future health of the game.

“Having considered all of the input that we received, both before and after the proposed Rule was announced, our best judgment is that Rule 14-1b is necessary to preserve one of the important traditions and challenges of the game – that the player freely swing the entire club,” said USGA President Glen D. Nager. “The new Rule upholds the essential nature of the traditional method of stroke and eliminates the possible advantage that anchoring provides, ensuring that players of all skill levels face the same challenge inherent in the game of golf.”

Peter Dawson, Chief Executive of The R&A said: “We took a great deal of time to consider this issue and received a variety of contributions from individuals and organisations at all levels of the game. The report published today gives a comprehensive account of the reasons for taking the decision to adopt the new Rule and addresses the concerns that have been raised. We recognise this has been a divisive issue but after thorough consideration we remain convinced that this is the right decision for golf.”

The current Rule 14-1 of the Rules of Golf will be re-numbered as Rule 14-1a, and new Rule 14-1b will be established as follows:

14-1b Anchoring the Club

In making a stroke, the player must not anchor the club, either “directly” or by use of an “anchor point.”

Note 1: The club is anchored “directly” when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his body, except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm.

Note 2: An “anchor point” exists when the player intentionally holds a forearm in contact with any part of his body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club.

Rule 14-1b will not alter current equipment rules and allows for the continued use of all conforming golf clubs, including belly-length and long putters, provided such clubs are not anchored during a stroke. The new Rule narrowly targets only a few types of strokes, while preserving a golfer’s ability to play a wide variety of strokes in his or her individual style.

The January 1, 2016, timetable for implementation also provides an extended period in which golfers may, if necessary, adapt their method of stroke to the requirements of the new Rule.

David Rickman, Executive Director of Rules and Equipment Standards at The R&A, said: “This Rule change addresses the future and not the past. Everyone who has used an anchored stroke in the past, or who does so between now and January 1, 2016, will have played entirely within the Rules and their achievements will in no way be diminished.”

“The discussion around the Rule has been very helpful, and we appreciate that so many different perspectives were offered,” said USGA Executive Director Mike Davis. “We know that not everyone will agree with the new Rule, but it is our hope that all golfers will accept that this decision is reasoned and motivated by our best judgment in defining the sport and serving the best interests of the game.”

For more information about the adopted Rule, including a demonstration video, photos, infographics, and a Guidance Document for Players and Officials, visit www.usga.org/anchoring.

https://www.usga.org...1474856132.html

It is a bad rule.

The rule should have stated that both hands must move together in the stroke. Having one hand stationary is contrary to the way that golf is played, and has been played. Having one hand stationary is croquet.

Of course, that would not have ended the belly putter, but I have no problem with a belly putter stroke where both hands are moving together.

There are some who suggest that the advent of the anchored belly putter was the thing that pushed the ruling bodies into R14-1b, with children in the Florida golf factories being taught both putting and chipping with an anchored belly motion. The anchored long putter may have been just collateral damage. The long putter anchored strokes of old were seen by some as largely an old man's desperate attempt to keep playing golf.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Yep! Could it be that Langer is not bothered by the scrutiny because he KNOWS he is not anchored? Why would or should he change putting styles when he knows he is legal?

Exactly. They didn't ban the putter, they didn't ban the split grip. They banned touching the physical body, not the shirt. One millimeter away from the body is not anchoring. All of the people against it, just plain don't like the method or the long putter or whatever. Write your ruling body if it bothers you. But don't accuse a guy of cheating when you really_don't_know. I don't know either, but those who need to know, do.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

im just saying it clearly wasn’t enough of an advantage for all the hubbub rule changing

The United States Golf Association and The R&A, golf’s governing bodies, today announced the adoption of Rule 14-1b of the Rules of Golf that prohibits anchoring the club in making a stroke. The new Rule will take effect on January 1, 2016, in accordance with the regular four-year cycle for changes to the Rules of Golf.

Rule 14-1b, which was proposed on November 28, 2012, has now been given final approval by the USGA and The R&A following an extensive review by both organizations. The decision to adopt the new Rule came after a comprehensive process in which comments and suggestions from across the golf community were collected and thoroughly considered.

The USGA and The R&A have prepared a detailed report to explain the reasons for the decision to adopt Rule 14-1b. The report explains the principles on which the Rules of Golf are founded, why freely swinging the entire club is the essence of the traditional method of stroke, and why anchoring is a substantially different form of stroke that may alter and diminish the fundamental challenges of the game. It points out that the Rule will still allow the use of belly-length and long putters and that a wide variety of types of strokes remain for players to use. The report concludes that the new Rule should not adversely affect participation in the game, that it is not too late or unfair to require players to comply with it and that it will remove concerns about any potential advantage that anchoring provides. It also makes clear that one set of Rules is essential to the future health of the game.

“Having considered all of the input that we received, both before and after the proposed Rule was announced, our best judgment is that Rule 14-1b is necessary to preserve one of the important traditions and challenges of the game – that the player freely swing the entire club,” said USGA President Glen D. Nager. “The new Rule upholds the essential nature of the traditional method of stroke and eliminates the possible advantage that anchoring provides, ensuring that players of all skill levels face the same challenge inherent in the game of golf.”

Peter Dawson, Chief Executive of The R&A said: “We took a great deal of time to consider this issue and received a variety of contributions from individuals and organisations at all levels of the game. The report published today gives a comprehensive account of the reasons for taking the decision to adopt the new Rule and addresses the concerns that have been raised. We recognise this has been a divisive issue but after thorough consideration we remain convinced that this is the right decision for golf.”

The current Rule 14-1 of the Rules of Golf will be re-numbered as Rule 14-1a, and new Rule 14-1b will be established as follows:

14-1b Anchoring the Club

In making a stroke, the player must not anchor the club, either “directly” or by use of an “anchor point.”

Note 1: The club is anchored “directly” when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his body, except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm.

Note 2: An “anchor point” exists when the player intentionally holds a forearm in contact with any part of his body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club.

Rule 14-1b will not alter current equipment rules and allows for the continued use of all conforming golf clubs, including belly-length and long putters, provided such clubs are not anchored during a stroke. The new Rule narrowly targets only a few types of strokes, while preserving a golfer’s ability to play a wide variety of strokes in his or her individual style.

The January 1, 2016, timetable for implementation also provides an extended period in which golfers may, if necessary, adapt their method of stroke to the requirements of the new Rule.

David Rickman, Executive Director of Rules and Equipment Standards at The R&A, said: “This Rule change addresses the future and not the past. Everyone who has used an anchored stroke in the past, or who does so between now and January 1, 2016, will have played entirely within the Rules and their achievements will in no way be diminished.”

“The discussion around the Rule has been very helpful, and we appreciate that so many different perspectives were offered,” said USGA Executive Director Mike Davis. “We know that not everyone will agree with the new Rule, but it is our hope that all golfers will accept that this decision is reasoned and motivated by our best judgment in defining the sport and serving the best interests of the game.”

For more information about the adopted Rule, including a demonstration video, photos, infographics, and a Guidance Document for Players and Officials, visit www.usga.org/anchoring.

It is a bad rule.

The rule should have stated that both hands must move together in the stroke. Having one hand stationary is contrary to the way that golf is played, and has been played. Having one hand stationary is croquet.

Of course, that would not have ended the belly putter, but I have no problem with a belly putter stroke where both hands are moving together.

No more one handed tap ins?

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

I always thought the ban came more from seeing 17 year old Beau Hossler at Olympia (2012) and 14 year old Tianlang Guan at Augusta (2013) using belly putters. I think the few pros weren't as much of a problem as idea that it was breeding new young golfers using these as a first choice rather than a Langer type extending his career.

About that time I was observing junior tournaments with more golfers using the long belly putter. Manufacturers were selling a lot of those putters. I’m sure USGA was worried about new generation of golfers who prefer to anchor the putter rather than using the the putter non anchor style will eventually win out and seeing more golfers anchoring than non anchoring on the greens.

I always thought the ban came more from seeing 17 year old Beau Hossler at Olympia (2012) and 14 year old Tianlang Guan at Augusta (2013) using belly putters. I think the few pros weren't as much of a problem as idea that it was breeding new young golfers using these as a first choice rather than a Langer type extending his career.

About that time I was observing junior tournaments with more golfers using the long belly putter. Manufacturers were selling a lot of those putters. I'm sure USGA was worried about new generation of golfers who prefer to anchor the putter rather than using the the putter non anchor style will eventually win out and seeing more golfers anchoring than non anchoring on the greens.

This. I always assumed it more about kids being taught with the belly than pros using a broomstick.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

About that time I was observing junior tournaments with more golfers using the long belly putter. Manufacturers were selling a lot of those putters. I'm sure USGA was worried about new generation of golfers who prefer to anchor the putter rather than using the the putter non anchor style will eventually win out and seeing more golfers anchoring than non anchoring on the greens.

My experience was the same. Furthermore, children were being taught to use a belly-anchored chipping stroke. The ruling bodies did not like where that was going, I think.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

This. I always assumed it more about kids being taught with the belly than pros using a broomstick.

Hey, watch it . . . your assumption gets in the way of the popular couch potato narrative. ;)

Hey, watch it . . . your assumption gets in the way of the popular couch potato narrative. ;)

Belly and broomstick putters were around for a couple of decades. What took the ruling bodies so long to get their collective knickers knotted?

If the sight of pros using it for that long didn't bother them, the sight of kids learning it from the start did?

I read the reasoning given at the time, but I think they really whiffed on this one. The sport does evolve with time, and I really can't see why this particular evolution became such an issue, especially while still allowing the other unconventional putting methods that are completely different to any other stroke made in golf. OK, not completely different, they share not being anchored....

Such a silly hill to die on. Especially when they've said that it's not about whether or not it gives anyone an advantage, and anchoring is seen as a way to help older golfers cope with twitchy muscles. If you force the old guys to give up, that's not great for a sport that's had trouble attracting youth.

Belly and broomstick putters were around for a couple of decades. What took the ruling bodies so long to get their collective knickers knotted?

If the sight of pros using it for that long didn't bother them, the sight of kids learning it from the start did?

I read the reasoning given at the time, but I think they really whiffed on this one. The sport does evolve with time, and I really can't see why this particular evolution became such an issue, especially while still allowing the other unconventional putting methods that are completely different to any other stroke made in golf. OK, not completely different, they share not being anchored....

Such a silly hill to die on. Especially when they've said that it's not about whether or not it gives anyone an advantage, and anchoring is seen as a way to help older golfers cope with twitchy muscles. If you force the old guys to give up, that's not great for a sport that's had trouble attracting youth.

Your view from the La-Z-Boy is duly noted. :swoon:

No no no....if length was an advantage, everyone WOULD hit it 350, IF THEY COULD. But they can't. Everyone could have, if they had found it such a distinct advantage, used an anchored stroke. But they didn't find it an advantage, so they scrapped it. I think we can reasonably assume that if provided the "unfair advantage" that some proclaim, if not everyone, certainly more than the fairly small percentage who did engage it, would have.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Your view from the La-Z-Boy is duly noted. :swoon:

Appreciated!

One of my aspirations is to someday move up to a Barcalounger. Do you like yours?

14-1b Anchoring the Club

Now if the USGA, the PGA Tour and the R&A would only enforce the Rule.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Let’s just change the rule

All putters MUST be anchored

and drivers as well. that might reduce the unfair advantage guys like Koepka and Rory have over guys like me.

Oh snap!

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

14-1b Anchoring the Club

Now if the USGA, the PGA Tour and the R&A would only enforce the Rule.

R14-1b is properly applied. You and your chums in the peanut gallery don't seem to know enough to realize it. :swoon:

Watching David Hearn in the Wyndham, it’s clear this is a penalty that is impossible to call. Just limit the length of the putter.

As you say, "impossible to call" from the comfort of your sofa. However, it's a fairly easy task for a referee.

Watching David Hearn in the Wyndham, it’s clear this is a penalty that is impossible to call. Just limit the length of the putter.

Fully agree with this. Watched the last 2 holes he played and specifically the tap in on 18. IMO he anchored on the tap in. The others, I couldn't tell.

Like you said: just limit the putter to 45 inches or something.

Fully agree with this. Watched the last 2 holes he played and specifically the tap in on 18. IMO he anchored on the tap in. The others, I couldn't tell.

Like you said: just limit the putter to 45 inches or something.

Let's go over this again. You, watching the player on TV hit a couple of putts, can see something that the referee who walked with the group for 18 holes and watched every putting stroke by all three players from just off the putting green couldn't see? Don't embarrass yourself any further. :swoon:

Dude, there is no rules official walking with the last groups

Yeah, there are a ton of volunteers who help manage the crowds but an official is not guaranteed.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

There are some who suggest that the advent of the anchored belly putter was the thing that pushed the ruling bodies into R14-1b, with children in the Florida golf factories being taught both putting and chipping with an anchored belly motion. The anchored long putter may have been just collateral damage. The long putter anchored strokes of old were seen by some as largely an old man's desperate attempt to keep playing golf

I agree with this take but I believe it was somewhat unintentional and a semi-fluke. I followed the discussion fairly closely because I purchased a long putter for the first time in 2010 or 2011 and used it sporadically, experimenting with anchored and nonanchored. As I posted long before the rule was proposed, nonanchored long putters are no big deal in terms of performance and actually allow a feel of more freedom and athleticism in the stroke. It's only a definite disadvantage compared to anchored on shorter putts, let's say 6 feet or less.

Anyway, my instincts are that Mike Davis and the other old paranoid guys on those committees were targeting the long putter specifically for many years because they simply didn't like the looks of it, but none of the back room rules proposals made enough sense or had enough support toward a ban of any type. It would have remained that way until the belly putter exploded into prominence. So they came up with the anchoring excuse toward both.

I remain convinced that Mike Davis on his own would have merely eliminated the long putter regardless of how it is applied, and didn't much care about belly. That's a guess but as a handicapper I have confidence in it. Davis for years and years would use the term long putter whenever this topic surfaced. That was his gripe. The belly revolution basically saved his pet peeve cause.

In particular I remember this early 2012 article from Golfweek. I saved the link because of the specific anonymous quote:

https://golfweek.com...ters-after-all/

"The element that has most influenced the current atmosphere, according to the source, is the emergence of players such as Webb Simpson and Keegan Bradley who have used belly putters for several years.

“Nobody (within the ruling bodies) wants children to know nothing else but sticking putters in their bellys,” the source said. “It now seems possible that an entire new generation of golfers could learn to putt this way and never use the traditional method that has been the bedrock of putting for hundreds of years.”

I just came to this thread to make the same point. It sure looked like he anchored the whole way round and if it was technically a few mm away from his sternum then the rule is farcical as the only person that knows if it was touching is the player. At least with Langer you can generally see him make an effort to move the butt about an inch away after the practice stroke.

Finally, with only a handful of players doing this and the PGATour being somewhat of a family, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the players and rules committee had meetings together discussing this issue or even the players demonstrating the act prior to a tournament.

One thing I know for sure, the players respect the rules, protect the field because the honor and the game is bigger than them.