2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anchoring Rule basically dead

rafal

I find your behavior trollish.

Let's just agree to disagree without you resorting to dismissing my view as somehow invalid or conspiratorial because it differs from your own.

It is conspiratorial. You said as much yourself when you mention some sort of coverup with the R&A. Also allude to it when you ask if I am employed by them.

So in that, it's not our fault that your view is marked that way.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll know it's me when I run out onto the putting green and interupt Langer's putting routine. As I slip my R&A issued straight razor between his top hand and his torso, I'll apologize but say it's necessary because some guy in a La-Z-Boy thinks you're dishonest and the R&A is covering it up.

Excellent. Thank you for making my point. You're not there. Which means your judgement that Langer is not breaking the rule is based on watching the tournament on TV just like me, and/or the honor system whereby the player says he is not anchoring, so he must not be. Sorry - but that's absurd.

Sorry - I just watched Langer hole a long putt on 17 in rd 3 and the TV angle showed without a shadow of a doubt that the putter is anchored to his sternum, and that the top of the club is moving in perfect unison with the movement of his torso.

The good news is that this will surely be shown multiple times on replay, and even a golf referee who wants to pretend that it is not happening will have to admit they are wrong.

Sorry - I just watched Langer hole a long putt on 17 in rd 3 and the TV angle showed without a shadow of a doubt that the putter is anchored to his sternum, and that the top of the club is moving in perfect unison with the movement of his torso.

The good news is that this will surely be shown multiple times on replay, and even a golf referee who wants to pretend that it is not happening will have to admit they are wrong.

so he's "anchoring" what are ya gonna do about it?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

The rule is dead because no one will call out the current guys breaking it, We'll just wait for them to all retire and hope we sufficiently discouraged younger golfers from adopting it.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The rule is dead because no one will call out the current guys breaking it, We'll just wait for them to all retire and hope we sufficiently discouraged younger golfers from adopting it.

You know this, how? You heard it on AM talk radio? They mentioned it just after the panel discussion on why the moon landings were faked. :swoon:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

You know this, how? You heard it on AM talk radio? They mentioned it just after the panel discussion on why the moon landings were faked. :swoon:

sui I just saw on tv that aliens built pyramids all over the planet. It was pretty convincing, and since I saw it on tv I’ll consider it as fact.

I won't comment on whether or not players are anchoring, all I will say is that the governing bodies have put themselves in this position by applying the rules in this fashion. In my opinion it should've been left as is or modified completely so that we wouldn't need the speculation.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

I'm just going to let that statement stew in its own broth of absurdity.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I won't comment on whether or not players are anchoring, all I will say is that the governing bodies have put themselves in this position by applying the rules in this fashion. In my opinion it should've been left as is or modified completely so that we wouldn't need the speculation.

Exactly, without installing pressure plates on their chest to determine if their hands actually touch their chest it's impossible to prove, especially given the rule allows them to touch their shirts. Langer says he practices with his hand on his chest then moves it away, I can't see a difference on television between his practice stroke and actual stroke but he claims there is.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I just saw him putting yesterday too, and to me it was clearly visible that his hand was away from his chest. The late day sun was coming at such a horizontal angle that made it very easy to see it. Not trying to be difficult, but I saw the opposite of you. I wish we had a clip of our two impressions, lol.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I just saw him putting yesterday too, and to me it was clearly visible that his hand was away from his chest. The late day sun was coming at such a horizontal angle that made it very easy to see it. Not trying to be difficult, but I saw the opposite of you. I wish we had a clip of our two impressions, lol.

Did you see the putt on 17?

For those that are just "positive" they are anchoring....

First, the hand out end of club can touch/brush without being anchored.

Second, please watch video of their strokes when annoying was legal and then watch their strokes now.

Third, if you cannot see the difference please visit your local optometrist.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

PS, they certainly will appear to be anchored this morning/afternoon at the Senior Open with rain gear on.

Eliminate anchoring is one thing but they should have made a rule that your two hands must be touching on the grip to make a stroke. Problem solved.

Problem not solved. What about the onehanded tap in? What about a one armed player?

This is why the rule is lousy. Let's see a well worded rule, because the one they have now stinks

Show us your chops, write it for us.

Sure "I hereby rescind the anchoring rule."

No more controversy if someone is anchoring.

I do think anchoring is an unfair advantage, I do think it should have been banned, and I do think Langer was anchoring today.

How is it an unfair advantage if everyone is allowed to do it?

What's unfair is a bunch of guys taking the rule and completely changing their method, VS a couple of guys who clearly are trying to get away with something and being allowed to.

I do think anchoring is an unfair advantage, I do think it should have been banned, and I do think Langer was anchoring today.

What's unfair is a bunch of guys taking the rule and completely changing their method, VS a couple of guys who clearly are trying to get away with something and being allowed to.

People use the “unfair advantage” angle and that was never an argument used by the governing bodies at least that I saw. Their argument was essentially that the motion of strokes anchored to the body (belly / chest) takes the skill out of the putting stroke. In fact that was the exact quote they used time and time again “removes the skill”.

Anyone can, and is allowed to, use a long putter. Nothing unfair about it.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

The "both hands touching" would not solve the problem because that would also outlaw several variations of the "claw" grip that Mickelson now uses and others.

It looks to me like Phil’s right index finger touches the back of his left hand. If the goal is to eliminate these motions (and I’m not saying it is) then defining a stroke as utilizing a grip where there is contact between both hands seems to be the best idea that I’ve seen. Whatever issue exists with eliminating split grip methods might be minimal. I honestly haven’t thought about it.

• 2 weeks later...

McCarron and Langer, the two anchor putter players I despise the most. Using the excuse the hand is touching the shirt, right!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Nobody likes a cheat!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Nobody likes a cheat!

No, but we need to be certain they are cheating before we go calling them one.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

The fact that this thread is now on its 9th page and is quite heated with one camp being certain Langer is anchoring and the others just as certain he isn’t. This tells us it is far from clear whether he’s anchoring. My own view is that he is anchoring. Either way clearly Langer must know people are doubting his integrity and is apparently not bothered. Surely if he had nothing to hide he’d find away to put which puts him clear of such accusations.

I’m no Adam Scott fan but at least he’s clearly not anchoring anymore even though this is detrimental to ho

His game.

The fact that this thread is now on its 9th page and is quite heated with one camp being certain Langer is anchoring and the others just as certain he isn’t. This tells us it is far from clear whether he’s anchoring. My own view is that he is anchoring. Either way clearly Langer must know people are doubting his integrity and is apparently not bothered. Surely if he had nothing to hide he’d find away to put which puts him clear of such accusations.

I’m no Adam Scott fan but at least he’s clearly not anchoring anymore even though this is detrimental to ho

His game.

Let's see, the USGA and presumably the R&A are satisfied that Langer is playing golf in compliance with Rule 14-1b. The PGA Tour and the Champions Tour also seem to be satisfied that Langer is playing golf in compliance with Rule 14-1b.

On the other hand, a few couch potatoes provide us with their alternative facts based solely on the vantage point of their big screen TVs and La-Z-Boys.

Gosh, who do we believe? :swoon:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

His game.

Let's see, the USGA and presumably the R&A are satisfied that Langer is playing golf in compliance with Rule 14-1b. The PGA Tour and the Champions Tour also seem to be satisfied that Langer is playing golf in compliance with Rule 14-1b.

On the other hand, a few couch potatoes provide us with their alternative facts based solely on the vantage point of their big screen TVs and La-Z-Boys.

Gosh, who do we believe? :swoon:

Yep! Could it be that Langer is not bothered by the scrutiny because he KNOWS he is not anchored? Why would or should he change putting styles when he knows he is legal?