Anchoring Rule basically dead

rafal

I don't make judgements about the Rules by watching TV.

I have a credential. When I see a player, usually a senior male, with a long putter, I watch him for a minute or two on the practice green, then watch him for a couple of holes during the event. I usually don't find it difficult to see that his stroke is in compliance with R14-1b. On one occasion, I asked a player to show me how he putted with the long putter. He showed me.

I treat R14-1b like I would if I had a question about a player's compliance with R13-2, R15-3, R16-1, R18-2, R23-1, etc.

There's no conspiracy . . . no subterfuge . . . no dereliction . . . no anything. ;)

Rules Official: Looks like you're anchoring. Let me see your stroke.

Player: OK (makes stroke)

Rules Official: Yes, I think that was a violation

Player: No, it wasn't. I moved my hand away from my body ever so slightly. It might have brushed my body, but there was no anchoring.

Rules Official: Yeah, but it looked like anchoring.

Player: But it wasn't.

Rules Official: One more time please. Let me check with my USGA issued straight razor.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only thing I like about Webb Simpson. He actually has a moral compass that would not allow him to cheat like Scott, Langer, McCaron, and a few others. It takes a special kind of sociologically based, psychopathic narcissism to anchor a putter right there in front of the world and on TV, and then say "no I didn't".

Frankly, I find it odd as hell.

About the only thing I like about Webb Simpson. He actually has a moral compass that would not allow him to cheat like Scott, Langer, McCaron, and a few others. It takes a special kind of sociologically based, psychopathic narcissism to anchor a putter right there in front of the world and on TV, and then say "no I didn't".

How could a belly putter even be used without anchoring it, like the long putter users are? Simpson never had an option here, so he ended up with an armlock instead, which makes sense to me.

So incredibly odd, that maybe it's just not happening.

Maybe they're not cheating and you are mistaken in thinking that they are. That's significantly less odd.

it's an odd concept, how one can cheat without breaking the rules.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

And yet we've had posts that claimed the arm lock method was anchoring.

Go figure.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

https://www.thesun.c...out-fellow-pro/

Nothing can be done with the rule having the intent "out" Who ever thought to make a rule with "intent" in it? There has never been a call on a violation of the rule, as there can never be one. If you go on the logic of "Pro XYZ doesn't ever lie" then he can anchor all he wants and say he doesn't.

After almost a month and 500 posts, we know that R14-1b is alive and well and working as intended.

ps The Sun is an English rag on par with the Enquirer whose only redeeming quality is the topless model photos on page 2. :)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Nothing can be done with the rule having the intent "out" Who ever thought to make a rule with "intent" in it? There has never been a call on a violation of the rule, as there can never be one. If you go on the logic of "Pro XYZ doesn't ever lie" then he can anchor all he wants and say he doesn't.

After almost a month and 500 posts, we know that R14-1b is alive and well and working as intended.

ps The Sun is an English rag on par with the Enquirer whose only redeeming quality is the topless model photos on page 2. :)

this post is worthless without pictures. (or at least a link)

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I don't make judgements about the Rules by watching TV.

I have a credential. When I see a player, usually a senior male, with a long putter, I watch him for a minute or two on the practice green, then watch him for a couple of holes during the event. I usually don't find it difficult to see that his stroke is in compliance with R14-1b. On one occasion, I asked a player to show me how he putted with the long putter. He showed me.

I treat R14-1b like I would if I had a question about a player's compliance with R13-2, R15-3, R16-1, R18-2, R23-1, etc.

There's no conspiracy . . . no subterfuge . . . no dereliction . . . no anything. ;)

Rules Official: Looks like you're anchoring. Let me see your stroke.

Player: OK (makes stroke)

Rules Official: Yes, I think that was a violation

Player: No, it wasn't. I moved my hand away from my body ever so slightly. It might have brushed my body, but there was no anchoring.

Rules Official: Yeah, but it looked like anchoring.

Player: But it wasn't.

Anyone can do this. If you’re a right handed golfer take a putting posture and take your left hand and form it in the anchored position like someone using a long wand would. Take that left thumb (knuckle probably) and lightly hold it against your chest. Now pull it away until it isn’t touching. If you do both poses into a mirror they are indiscernible because of the shirt you are wearing. And that’s not to say anyone is guilty, it basically shows that no one except the person actually putting can ever know for sure.

Then they should aim a bit higher next time by intending something that is clear :busted_cop:

We know those for whom the Rule is clear and working . . . those who administer and enforce the Rules and those who play golf on TV.

And we know those for whom it's not clear . . . those who merely watch golf on TV.

Then they should aim a bit higher next time by intending something that is clear :busted_cop:

We know those for whom the Rule is clear and working . . . those who administer and enforce the Rules and those who play golf on TV.

And we know those for whom it's not clear . . . those who merely watch golf on TV.

That's a pretty arrogant position given those of us that watch and play golf are the ones that financially support the industry and especially the USGA. Football thought they were bigger than the fans and ratings tanked last 2 years. Keep that attitude up and we'll be seeing these guys playing for the same money the ladies do.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

That's a pretty arrogant position given those of us that watch and play golf are the ones that financially support the industry and especially the USGA. Football thought they were bigger than the fans and ratings tanked last 2 years. Keep that attitude up and we'll be seeing these guys playing for the same money the ladies do.

For whom do you think the Rules should be written? For you and I and all who play? Or, perhaps, for TV viewers?

Good point. Without us watching from our La-Z-Boys the players, Referees, USGA and R&A teams would be living very different (and poorer) lives.

I'm not sure why Sui feels he has to end every post with a condescending remark. If his point is "Some Referees are arrogant jerks" - enough already, we got it.....

Page 3 not 2 and they stopped them about three years ago. I now have to watch Champions Tour golf while sitting on my Lazy Guy or whatever you call it, while shouting "mashed potato" at the telly.

Page 3 not 2 and they stopped them about three years ago. I now have to watch Champions Tour golf while sitting on my Lazy Guy or whatever you call it, while shouting "mashed potato" at the telly.

That's tragic! I lived in England and then South Wales for almost 20 years though it was some time ago and I remember the likes of Ronnie Corbett and Dick Emery and Marty Feldman making Sun jokes. :)

For whom do you think the Rules should be written? For you and I and all who play? Or, perhaps, for TV viewers?

You're debating with people here who play the game and we and many others that play have an issue with an anchored stroke that Langer and others use.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

How could a belly putter even be used without anchoring it, like the long putter users are? Simpson never had an option here, so he ended up with an armlock instead, which makes sense to me.

I like how you slid not 1 but 2 premises in there.

"How could the belly even be used with out anchoring it?" A HA..... EXACTLY MY POINT.

"Like the long putter users are."...AGAIN, EXACTLY MY POINT! if he had a different moral compass, perhaps Webb would rest the putter real close to his belly (wink wink) but never, ever intentionally (wink wink) anchor it.....if it LOOKED to be anchored, that would never had been his intention, and it may have just brushed against his shirt.

It appears that players with major stature like Langer and Scott are allowed to break the anchoring rule--just as the rule about replacing a marked ball on the green exactly where it originally lay has been widely abused ("teeing it up on the green") and not uniformly enforced (Mickelson calling out some cheats apparently has restored some measure of integrity on this one). But allowing Langer and Scott and a a couple others to anchor while putting is not fair, not right, and is a slippery slope that will lead to real chaos. Scott should have been DQ'd and his winnings distributed to the rest of the field who weren't breaking the rules of golf.

lol the irony of Mickelson calling out cheaters

I agree with the topic. It’s cheating. End of story. Just put a length cap on the club and call it a day. If you have a weird stroke that requires a long putter but you don’t anchor tough tamales. Learn to putt better

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Really? Over 4 touring pros. Two of which are on a tour that nobody watches?

Reel it in a little bit.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I think the world will survive. It has been dealing with "no I didn'ts" every day, and traits far worse than psychopathic narcissism

Sort of a similar narcissism that would be required to forgo any reasonable sense of self doubt and hyperbolically proclaim a fact that can not be known, yes?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Really? Over 4 touring pros. Two of which are on a tour that nobody watches?

Reel it in a little bit.

My comment wasn't directed at just those who use an anchored stroke, it was the dismissal of anyones opinion except for "those who administer and enforce the Rules and those who play golf on TV." His post basically said that so long as those people are okay with the rules the rest of us don't matter.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

"How could the belly even be used with out anchoring it?" A HA..... EXACTLY MY POINT.

"Like the long putter users are."...AGAIN, EXACTLY MY POINT! if he had a different moral compass, perhaps Webb would rest the putter real close to his belly (wink wink) but never, ever intentionally (wink wink) anchor it.....if it LOOKED to be anchored, that would never had been his intention, and it may have just brushed against his shirt.

And a third premises - You have never actually seen anyone putt with a belly putter? Look at old videos of Simpson when he used one, it would be mighty difficult to for him to get away with an even remotely similar setup without it being very obvious that the grip is safely anchored to his stomach.

I honestly don't care if you like Simpson for whatever reason, but let's not pretend that you know he wouldn't have done the exact same thing as Scott is doing if he preferred to putt with a long putter. That's just wild guessing.

And a third premises - You have never actually seen anyone putt with a belly putter? Look at old videos of Simpson when he used one, it would be mighty difficult to for him to get away with an even remotely similar setup without it being very obvious that the grip is safely anchored to his stomach.

I honestly don't care if you like Simpson for whatever reason, but let's not pretend that you know he wouldn't have done the exact same thing as Scott is doing if he preferred to putt with a long putter. That's just wild guessing.

Why would it be difficult for him to get away? All he has to say is "I don't think it is anchored" or "it is not my intention to have it anchored".

Why would it be difficult for him to get away? All he has to say is "I don't think it is anchored" or "it is not my intention to have it anchored".

If you try an extended counter balanced putter that is too long for you, or one that is good length but you are wearing a loose fitted jacket, you would notice that if anything brushes against the end of the grip, when you have your hands placed way down, it messes up the whole stroke. Simpson is playing professionally, that just wouldn’t work.

Belly putters need to be anchored against the stomach, no way of faking it.

Belly putters need to be anchored against the stomach, no way of faking it.

I'd agree with that statement which is why this rule frustrates me. It gives the broomhandle guys a potential free pass given the way it has been set up whilst the belly guys are dead in the water. Of the two methods I actually think belly is closer to a conventional stroke than broom, so if the reason for the rule change was to purify the game then it's an epic fail. So either have a rule that is clear to anyone watching that it complies or just let the guys putt however they choose.

What about Annie Park? Is she cheating too, or just the players you are jealous of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYI2NUVf9Wk

I don't know about Adam Scott as I didn't notice when I saw him at the Open

Go ahead and watch the video in the link in the OP. Sure as heck looks like he's anchoring there.

It could be 1mm off his chest according to the rule right?

1mm!? Wow, hold still. We have to get this microscope positioned to see.

I just wish there was conformity, putting should be only 2 hands holding the club. Hands must be below midpoint of your shirt. Bend over how you like. No other body parts touching the club except the hands. No arms, no stomach, no chest, no legs. Putters can only be so long 36 inches max and not too short , if that became a thing.