2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Little or no wrist hinge. Anyone play this way?

For those with an early wrist hinge, does the hinge happen later in the swing with a driver than it does with a short iron?

I ask because I recently started intentionally having an early wrist hinge and it's been really helpful for my iron play. Making great contact now. But it's been tough to make solid contact with my 3i thru driver. Seems like the early wrist hinge isn't compatible with those clubs. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Had to revive this thread because there are so many great players who do this but people are focusing too much at the top of the backswing rather than a better checkpoint, which is left arm parallel to ground, or P3 in MORAD terminology.

Look no further than Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, when they were young in their early 20s, they had virtually no wrist hinge at P3. You can measure this by what the angle is between the left arm and clubshaft DTL at address, and if it’s the same angle between the clubshaft and left arm at P3 FO, that means there was no wrist hinge.

Other examples include Byron Nelson and Mickey Wright, and in today’s game, Will Zalatoris and Cameron Young.

In TGM, this is called float-loading. Believe it or not, it’s possible to hit it as long and straight as Nicklaus in 1980 (when he set the all-time total driving stat at 23, 10th in distance and 13th in accuracy) AND be as accurate as Steve Stricker on partial wedge shots.

I have a cupped left wrist at address, and don't have much wrist hinge by time I get to top. On video, I actually have a slight late hinge near top. But, in seasons when I tried to consciously c0ck the wrist for more power, I had extreme control problems.

Due to hip and back problems, I now focus on proper hip tilt and rotating torso to top with quiet hands... but on downswing I rotate my forearms to gain power, along with lateral hip shift.

Two instructors a few years apart both told me to "let the wrists do what they do naturally."

My set at top looks similar to that of John Rahm, but that's where the similarity ends.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

For some decades the creator of Natural Golf has been promoting various versions of no wrist hinge swing, discussed earlier here. He claims hinging the elbows is much more efficient but I don't think the distance is all that great. However a long time ago I've played with an older gentleman who went all in with the method and he was pretty decent with it.

Since then I've tried variations of it myself (my feelings of the swing were pretty much identical to JonT's description here) and while I have no idea if I was performing it correctly I found the no wrist swing surprisingly effective when I haven't played or practiced in a long time, especially for my tee shots, and it was more reliable and just as long as my stinger if not longer. I can pretty much mirror what JonT said for the results. It might be a viable option for amateurs who don't get to practice much or those with less mobility. 

I am trying to keep my hands low and FEEL like I have no wrist c0ck with some preset trail wrist cupping to create shaft lean. 

I’m sure there is plenty of wrist c0ck happening in transition though. 

I do know I’m compressing the ball better and hitting straighter and longer with less effort. And I have less issues creating lag. Prevents casting. 

• Like 1

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

3, 4, 5 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

In the past I have been a chronic over hinger at the end of my backswing.  Mostly due to inside takeaway and too much forearm rotation.  The past couple of years I've focused on a better pivot, more left shoulder down, and the feeling of my wrists not setting.  Sometimes I fall back into my old ways and question things like everyone else.  But things look really good on video when I  I FEEL like I simply shift, turn, and tilt to get to the top.  I feel like my arms and wrists do absolutely nothing.  But that is obviously impossible or the club would never get over my shoulder.  Video of my swing shows a full wrist set.  Gravity and momentum does things naturally and sometimes you cannot feel it.

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

• 4 months later...

Scottie Scheffler, Jack Nicklaus, and Mickey Wright with driver at a point in their backswing when club is vertical to ground. Look how far their left arm go up before the club reaches vertical. Once the clubhead passes vertical, that's when gravity takes over with the weight of the clubhead making the wrists hinge.

317697875_ScreenShot2023-05-30at4_20_33PM.png.e77612e601e50c4cc3fedd65a2c8497d.png532049597_ScreenShot2023-05-30at4_21_10PM.png.674dde28d408a591f703808712786ea9.png1074715533_ScreenShot2023-05-30at4_22_23PM.png.e84204ebead544ca8cc2ed621c499b93.png

51 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

Once the clubhead passes vertical, that's when gravity takes over with the weight of the clubhead making the wrists hinge.

No…

The club is in the process of hinging at this point. If it was "gravity" the club would be hinged the other way or something at those points in the swing.

Did some other force (magnetism, maybe?) help Tiger hinge the club from the left image to the right image here?

01.jpg.73c01c1ea832f142cd6f3fc327664c1f.jpg

Sometimes I wonder where y'all come up with some of this stuff. 🤣

Edited by iacas
  • Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

When it comes to the club head, gravity has about as much affect as it does on a level flying plane. It is being overwhelmed by other forces and has almost no effect at all.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I remember listening to a pod with Sasho MacKenzie talking about the biomechanics of the golf swing and hitting it long. I remember he definitely said the wrists are the joints that would cause the most power loss of they didn’t bend.  

So regardless of what it may feel like, you will not hit the ball well or long without wrist hinge. And no pro does it regardless of how it may look at certain positions in a video. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Did some other force (magnetism, maybe?)....

I remember a youtube comment that blamed one of Tiger's putting slumps on magnets being buried underneath the green. 

Fast And Furious Magnets GIF by The Fast Saga

• Haha 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

8 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I remember a youtube comment that blamed one of Tiger's putting slumps on magnets being buried underneath the green. 

Fast And Furious Magnets GIF by The Fast Saga

IMG_6218.jpeg.8da2f2f1cfae5a6ba5440eaa79843947.jpeg

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

22 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

Artificially extending the right arm in an effort to swing the club wide down the target line is what introduces all the variables including balance issues. 

"Artificially"??? Either it's straightening or it's not. How would it be artificial?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

No need to create more of anything, especially width, if you properly use what you already have, what you were born with.   

Untitledcmw.png.3d9432ccbd4bee89b7c6a8dbf05099f0.png

They try to make the club conform to the static plane established at address instead of swinging the club dynamically on a rotating plane. 

Everyone could hit the ball a lot harder by syncing the club up with their pivots. 

1 hour ago, Zitlow said:

Maybe I should have said over extending or locking the right elbow by trying to swing the club in a linear motion vs a circular motion. 

Not sure that I've ever seen anyone do that. Who does and who advocates for it?

33 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

No need to create more of anything, especially width, if you properly use what you already have, what you were born with.   

That's pretty obtuse. Care to elaborate?

7 hours ago, KMeloney said:

I think people who chase getting "wide" in the backswing, or try to keep the trail arm above the lead arm, or who use a "one piece takeaway" trying to "keep the triangle intact."

I have students do those things all the time. Heck, I'll often even draw something like this…

rory.jpg.1b7b4bce8004143d24692379d61c9d92.jpg

Now, these tend to be students who… bend their trail elbow 120°, bend their lead elbow 45°+, and who turn about 65°… but still.

Being "wide" is good, generally. Keeping the triangle intact a bit longer is generally good for many golfers. Seeing the trail elbow above the lead longer is generally good for a lot of golfers. And so on.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I have students do those things all the time. Heck, I'll often even draw something like this…

rory.jpg.1b7b4bce8004143d24692379d61c9d92.jpg

Now, these tend to be students who… bend their trail elbow 120°, bend their lead elbow 45°+, and who turn about 65°… but still.

Being "wide" is good, generally. Keeping the triangle intact a bit longer is generally good for many golfers. Seeing the trail elbow above the lead longer is generally good for a lot of golfers. And so on.

I was answering a question above, and wasn't saying that any of these actions are wrong -- just that sometimes chasing these things, especially too much so/improperly, can lead to what Zitlow was suggesting.