2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist 983e still wins !

MGFluFan

1 hour ago, rbpwrx said:

Not if the shaft lengths were different. He said 43.5" on the 983e (same as mine, with a stock X100 in it! They used to call me Magnet when I bagged that club, because it always found the 150yd market, center of the short grass. 

Very impressive! PGA tour pros should all switch to this set up!! Tour average of 60% fairways hit would jump to 100%! 🤣

*sorry couldn’t resist. I realize golf stories are no different than fish stories. 

29 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Very impressive! PGA tour pros should all switch to this set up!! Tour average of 60% fairways hit would jump to 100%! 🤣

*sorry couldn’t resist. I realize golf stories are no different than fish stories. 

I think Adam Scott tried an x100 in his driver last season if my memory serves.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

2 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

Not if the shaft lengths were different. He said 43.5" on the 983e (same as mine, with a stock X100 in it! They used to call me Magnet when I bagged that club, because it always found the 150yd marker, center of the short grass). If they were fitting him with 45" modern drivers (or more) that's the difference between a 7-iron and a 4-iron. You swing those with equal confidence? Totally different levers, angles, tempos, and sense of where the head is. Entirely possible to lose 10mph going to a longer shaft, no matter what the head is. He'd have had to train at that length to get any good at swinging it. Apples and oranges.

I had a 983k in a x100 I definitely wasn't the longest hitter but i found the fairway alot. 04 or 05 I can't remember. Lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobb3rdown said:

Did he? I don’t remember seeing him with it… But if he did, I guarantee you it wasn’t in a 983e head! The magic ‘hit every fairway’ combo is 983e/x100 at 43.5”. (And yes, I’d imagine this combo would be shorter than most PGA tour pros current 3 woods)
Like Sex Panther cologne. 60% of the time, it works every time. 😉 

😂 

48 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I was just rewatching the 2002 US Open, which Tiger won over Phil, of course, hitting his 975D 320yd on #12 (almost all carry), his 2i 265yd on #13, and his tiny Pro Traj 3W right behind Sergio's driver on #15, all shafted with steel X100s (which I'm sure were heavily tipped). (You ever played that course? I grew up on it. Every shot is a monster.) So laugh all you want, but that particular human being on this planet earth had better results with steel, and stuck with it way past when other people had gone graphite. And even now, in 2022, serious players are throttling back on head size, and throttling up on shaft weight, cuz they hit more fairways and make more birdies with a little resistance in the club. Chasing speed in the bays is not golf, btw (true fish story).

• Sad 1

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

10 minutes ago, rbpwrx said:

I was just rewatching the 2002 US Open, which Tiger won over Phil, of course, hitting his 975D 320yd on #12 (almost all carry), his 2i 265yd on #13, and his tiny Pro Traj 3W right behind Sergio's driver on #15, all shafted with steel X100s (which I'm sure were heavily tipped). (You ever played that course? I grew up on it. Every shot is a monster.) So laugh all you want, but that particular human being on this planet earth had better results with steel, and stuck with it way past when other people had gone graphite. And even now, in 2022, serious players are throttling back on head size, and throttling up on shaft weight, cuz they hit more fairways and make more birdies with a little resistance in the club. Chasing speed in the bays is not golf, btw (true fish story).

To be clear. I was only commenting (kidding you) on you saying you were in the short grass every time with it. Def a fish story. 

*no idea what relevance Tiger’s distance with a steel shafted 975D has to your original post saying you never missed a FW with it??? 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bobb3rdown said:

I know that guy loves old gear (still plays 680s, I think), but I can't imagine he'd put steel in his woods for a tournament NOW? Had to be a practice club. The gear advantages are too great. That would be like Serena switching to a wooden racket. (Practice club: mine is a tiny 9031 hybrid with TX shaft, tipped 2." Thing literally feels like a baseball bat. Useful though. If I can get that to not sting, my normal gear feels like butter.)

10 minutes ago, TiScape said:

To be clear. I was only laughing at hitting every fairway every time! 

Oh! Gotcha. Well, it was only one season. But the difference for me between a 43" driver and a 45" is night and day, in terms of confidence. Plus the weight. Plus that magic 983e head. I also had a very simple swing thought, which could have had something to do with it. True story, I couldn't miss that year. Different story every other year of my life. :) When I went to longer clubs and graphite I lost so much confidence in the driver that I went to playing just a 7i, for years. I'm still in a short stout driver. Older 44" 85g Accra M5 in that 8.5° 983e. Plenty long for me, and there's no substitute for confidence, in the hands and in the head.

Edited by rbpwrx
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TiScape said:

*no idea what relevance Tiger’s distance with a steel shafted 975D has to your original post saying you never missed a FW with it??? 

Relevance = steel does not mean short, or poor performing. You had mockingly said tour pros should switch to that combo. I bet any tour pro on earth would give up 5 years of his career to switch to that combo, and switch into that golfer, for any tournament, ever.

And the point of my 'fish story' is just that a heavy shaft can keep you in the fairway. I'm certainly not the only guy to notice that. Here's our beloved Ian discovering the same thing just this year: 

2 minutes ago, rbpwrx said:

Relevance = steel does not mean short, or poor performing. You had mockingly said tour pros should switch to that combo. I bet any tour pro on earth would give up 5 years of his career to switch to that combo, and switch into that golfer, for any tournament, ever.

And the point of my 'fish story' is just that a heavy shaft can keep you in the fairway. I'm certainly not the only guy to notice that. Here's our beloved Ian discovering the same thing just this year: 

I NEVER SAID IT DID! 🤪 For the second time. I was just giving you a hard time for saying you hit the short grass EVERY TIME with your 983e/x100! 

Edited by TiScape

6 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I NEVER SAID IT DID! 🤪 For the second time. I was just giving you a hard time for saying you hit the short grass EVERY TIME with your 983e/x100! 

Hard time accepted. Still true, though. Wanna hear how I regularly outdrive guys with my 7i? ( :^D

19 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I’ll pass, thanks for the offer though! 😂  

Ha! 🙂

10 hours ago, grm24 said:

Jimmy Walker did it for a bit in 2020. X100 in his TS3 driver and fairway wood.

That's who it was. Thank you

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

My youngest son (driver SS 125mph) for years has said that his 983E was the longest driver he's ever had.  I still have it in the garage.  We took it out the other day, and he doesn't say that anymore . . .  Everything else blew it away.  Same thing for me and my beloved 510TP; took it out and all of my memories have been destroyed.  It still sounds good and looks good, but it just isn't near the driver I remember.

• Like 1

If you put me on a tee box of a par 4 and told me my life depended on making par, I would pull out the 975 (don’t remember if it was J or D) a friend gave me after it became “obsolete” and I played for a while and still have somewhere.  I think he had shortened the length a little.  That is if you caught me after I took off running for my life.

It’s almost as if that club always put me around the 150 mark in the middle of the fairway.  It would sometimes drive me through the airway on dog legs.

It would be interesting to see some data on how much supposed improved drivers have improved the drives of amateur golfers since say 2005 when Wishon opined anything above 350 (or was it 250.) cc is gilding the lily.

I won’t hold my breath.

All you guys talking about how well you hit your 15+ year old rivers realize you were 15+ years younger when you were doing it right?

Like with a lot of things in life, we look back back on drivers from years ago and remember them being better than they actually were.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

11 hours ago, john myrbch said:

All you guys talking about how well you hit your 15+ year old rivers realize you were 15+ years younger when you were doing it right?

Like with a lot of things in life, we look back back on drivers from years ago and remember them being better than they actually were.

you shut your mouth! 

We dont age here on WRX, we are all still in our 20s!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

On 3/3/2022 at 10:52 PM, john myrbch said:

That's a fair point 🙂

On 3/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, Chunkitgood said:

It’s almost as if that club always put me around the 150 mark in the middle of the fairway.

See?!?

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Bought my Titleist 983E 7.5 degree on factory Speeder S-Flex shaft from pro shop at my club. It was being used as the Demo and convinced the Head Pro to sell it to me. STILL my go to driver in 2023 with plenty of distance despite low trajectory 7.5 degree head, with amazing control. Penetrating ball flight great in wind, and the 15-20 yards I lose to modern drivers offset by consistency. I can still hit it over 300 yards but the additional 20 years age has brought down my overall distance by 20% no matter what club I use. I fear the day something happens to it so it is treated like one of my Scotty Cameron limited edition collectable putters and kept out of extreme temp changes, especially hot trunks in summer 🚫. I am not sure if this demo was “hot” as it was first one delivered to pro shop for demo use, but no other one went as far. Granted it was the only 7.5 degree available at the time. But will never let this one go. I play to a 10 handicap now but was as low as 5.5 with this in 2000s. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 50_years_as_a_Golfer said:

Bought my Titleist 983E 7.5 degree on factory Speeder S-Flex shaft from pro shop at my club. It was being used as the Demo and convinced the Head Pro to sell it to me. STILL my go to driver in 2023 with plenty of distance despite low trajectory 7.5 degree head, with amazing control. Penetrating ball flight great in wind, and the 15-20 yards I lose to modern drivers offset by consistency. I can still hit it over 300 yards but the additional 20 years age has brought down my overall distance by 20% no matter what club I use. I fear the day something happens to it so it is treated like one of my Scotty Cameron limited edition collectable putters and kept out of extreme temp changes, especially hot trunks in summer 🚫. I am not sure if this demo was “hot” as it was first one delivered to pro shop for demo use, but no other one went as far. Granted it was the only 7.5 degree available at the time. But will never let this one go. I play to a 10 handicap now but was as low as 5.5 with this in 2000s. 

Glad you're keeping it in play!   I love seeing stuff like this.  I wish I had my old one.

I had one for years but finally sold it for a burger, fries, and a beer.

The best strikes were competitive with anything else, but averaging all of the good shots and bad shots meant it wasn't a club for me.  The newer "4" models give some of the same ball flight and a bit more help for slight misses.

Loved those old drivers and the 510tp

the issue is the new stuff is way way better on toe misses

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

• 1 month later...

983E, still my driver. YS-6 shaft. 58 years old, I'm still just about the longest off the tee in the groups I play with even when it's younger guys. Went into a good local shop last summer interested in either a new driver or 3W. 5 swings with the driver on the launch monitor, the rep said "ok, can't do much for you there, let's see the 3 wood".