2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I don’t care about the rules, this should never count as a stroke as it’s beyond his control. Not to mention the ball was never hit.

https://www.pga.com/...7&sf203216887=1

You're probably right, but there's a bit of a todo being made over something I've seen ONE time in I don't know (how many golf swings have I seen in person and on TV in my life) a MILLION golf swings.

I guess it was about 3 years ago, but my buddy Josh had the same exact thing happen to him. He hit a bad drive a couple holes before and I remember him slamming his club head down. Nothing out of the ordinary. Fast forward to his next shot with his driver a couple holes later and he gets to start his downswing and his shaft snapped underneath the grip. It was so fkn funny when it happened and he was so mad. As soon as I saw the clip on IG Wednesday night, it got sent straight to our group text.

I don’t care about the rules, this should never count as a stroke as it’s beyond his control. Not to mention the ball was never hit.

You're probably right, but there's a bit of a todo being made over something I've seen ONE time in I don't know (how many golf swings have I seen in person and on TV in my life) a MILLION golf swings.

I guess it was about 3 years ago, but my buddy Josh had the same exact thing happen to him. He hit a bad drive a couple holes before and I remember him slamming his club head down. Nothing out of the ordinary. Fast forward to his next shot with his driver a couple holes later and he gets to start his downswing and his shaft snapped underneath the grip. It was so fkn funny when it happened and he was so mad. As soon as I saw the clip on IG Wednesday night, it got sent straight to our group text.

THAT ^^^^^ should be a penalty.

Not sure if Senden did something similar.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City has rounded his game out so well the past couple years. This year especially so. He's been the most effective at improving his game of anybody on here the last couple years, bar none.

The specific example you gave, DC - that's certainly a major problem. Your distance control can't be THAT bad with wedges.

And you know, you've got to hit those shots REALLY close sometimes. You have to do that, because you have to make more birdies to keep bringing your scores lower. You make more birdies on a sustainable basis by hitting it really close more frequently. You can't sustain rolling in a bunch of low percentage putts. I made 4 birdies in the round last weekend. They were all approaches I hit inside 10ft. And those were all short irons and wedges.

That's not to say you need to fire everything at the flag and go crazy trying to make birdies. You can blend avoiding bogies and being aggressive. Don't fire your 5, 6, 7 irons at flags. Those are give yourself the best chance of making par shots. But when you get those short irons, and especially wedges in hand, you have to shift your targets to be more aggressive.

And if anybody on here is as guilty, or more guilty than me of having a mental point of no return... it's you :). I don't know what to tell you about that. I've had such a breakthrough in that area following Hive CC. I mean, a total quantum leap. I didn't learn anything new, or get some magic piece of information. It sounds so dumb, but it's like I've just jumped to a different state of consciousness out there. I still F things up, hit bad shots, choke on shots, have days where I'm just bad, and have emotional reactions. But I'm telling you, I feel different. I can't attest to whether that plays out externally such that it's perceptible by others.

If you break it due to anger, penalty yes. But if it happens by chance during normal use and play, no penalty should be called.

And if anybody on here is as guilty, or more guilty than me of having a mental point of no return... it's you :).

I know we've talked about this before...and I've never argued with you LOL.

I'm telling you that 11th hole at WM was a turning point for me as far as that goes. Hitting that wedge over the green - wait, is this a trend - and then getting up and down from a terrible lie. Old-DC would have packed it in. But I birdied 13 and 18 coming in (after birdieing 5).

From a mental game standpoint, I like how that TM Combine is run. It covers the whole projector screen with something like "FIRST SHOT 60 YARDS". Doesn't leave you any other visual cues, nothing. You have to sit there and think about the shot. Like I said, I wish I left myself more time and wasn't rushing through it bc I really liked the way that it walked you through each yardage. I'm sort of glad I put up a poop score the first time, gives something to build towards. The chart I found said 66.9 puts me between an amateur and AJGA....lol.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I still dont know how a shaft snaps that close to the butt end unless it was already cracked or the guy is Jamie Sadlowski. When I was in CA a few years back I had that full day tour at Fujikuira and man, those shafts are so solid at the butt end. I cant imagine at that end of the shaft that it just catastrophically fails.

If you break it due to anger, penalty yes. But if it happens by chance during normal use and play, no penalty should be called.

I don't think "penalty" is the right word here. It was a swing, so it counts. The "penalty" would be not being able to replace that club mid round.

City has rounded his game out so well the past couple years. This year especially so. He's been the most effective at improving his game of anybody on here the last couple years, bar none.

The specific example you gave, DC - that's certainly a major problem. Your distance control can't be THAT bad with wedges.

And you know, you've got to hit those shots REALLY close sometimes. You have to do that, because you have to make more birdies to keep bringing your scores lower. You make more birdies on a sustainable basis by hitting it really close more frequently. You can't sustain rolling in a bunch of low percentage putts. I made 4 birdies in the round last weekend. They were all approaches I hit inside 10ft. And those were all short irons and wedges.

That's not to say you need to fire everything at the flag and go crazy trying to make birdies. You can blend avoiding bogies and being aggressive. Don't fire your 5, 6, 7 irons at flags. Those are give yourself the best chance of making par shots. But when you get those short irons, and especially wedges in hand, you have to shift your targets to be more aggressive.

And if anybody on here is as guilty, or more guilty than me of having a mental point of no return... it's you :). I don't know what to tell you about that. I've had such a breakthrough in that area following Hive CC. I mean, a total quantum leap. I didn't learn anything new, or get some magic piece of information. It sounds so dumb, but it's like I've just jumped to a different state of consciousness out there. I still F things up, hit bad shots, choke on shots, have days where I'm just bad, and have emotional reactions. But I'm telling you, I feel different. I can't attest to whether that plays out externally such that it's perceptible by others.

If DC's scoring average is over 80 (and I figure it is right now, but I don't know), he is not making enough pars. He's making too many bogeys and doubles.

You shot somewhere around 80 last weekend with 4 birdies. That's total dog sh1t.

At least in a pure scoring scenario, I'd give back a couple of those birdies to keep it in play on 6/8/14/16.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i got on my soapbox at glenn dale. rules are rules. we either follow them, or we don't. there is no gray area.

IF you want to maintain the integrity of the round

IF you want to maintain the integrity of the group

IF you want exceptional scores to be celebrated rather than questioned

IF you want to continue to be a part of this group

you MUST play by the rules.

all rules and rulings might not appear fair at first glance, but that's our line in the sand.

#integrity

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

All these props to City for doing what he does!

giphy.gif

I was just out there yesterday -- in the freezing cold with the Koreans -- thinking "I should be WAY better than I am." If it was perfectly correlated with grit, I'd be a plus.

I was doing ladder drill in the dark. I didn't even finish it because it got too dark. I had to do "poor mans" ladder drill and I finished that.

If Fabb or Bae or ANYONE with any athletic ability (so I'm ruling out Sully) put in the time I put in, they would be better than me (probably. I still have some advantages, I think.)

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If he was attempting to hit the ball, it's a stroke.

I've seen plenty of kids in the PGA Junior League whiff on the ball. They tell the kids, if you meant to hit the ball it counts as a stroke.

LOL when I was walking into the pro shop yesterday, it was cold AF and windy, no one on the course. I was thinking, I bet City is chipping balls off the ice somewhere working on some random shot. So...not far off.

i got on my soapbox at glenn dale. rules are rules. we either follow them, or we don't. there is no gray area.

IF you want to maintain the integrity of the round

IF you want to maintain the integrity of the group

IF you want exceptional scores to be celebrated rather than questioned

IF you want to continue to be a part of this group

you MUST play by the rules.

all rules and rulings might not appear fair at first glance, but that's our line in the sand.

#integrity

If Fabb or Bae or ANYONE with any athletic ability (so I'm ruling out Sully) put in the time I put in, they would be better than me (probably. I still have some advantages, I think.)

that is FALSE. Maybe Fabb or Bae because they've proved their golf skill BUT. How many ex high level athletes play A LOT of golf and not that well? Do you know what ex athlete i'm better than? WAYNE GRETZKY. How in the world am i better than Wayne freaking Gretzky????

also i practiced for an hour yesterday because of the match sunday. "failure to prepare is preparing to fail".

LOL when I was walking into the pro shop yesterday, it was cold AF and windy, no one on the course. I was thinking, I bet City is chipping balls off the ice somewhere working on some random shot. So...not far off.

I was playing "worst ball" for a while. It's so tough, though.

E.g. I pushed one right on this hole 4 (hit the second down the middle). Had to hood a 7 iron to keep it under these limbs. Ran it right up to like 18 feet. Did it again, and hit the tree and the ball came straight down. Hit one from there that hit the tree again and ricocheted OB. So I went from 18 feet to OB in 2 shots. And a possible 4 to an. . .8?

I'm working out the deets for scoring. I play bogey as par. And I have a "rule" that if I hole a shot, that counts. The reason I do this is that it makes you too timid putting and chipping if you're trying to lessen damage from a bad shot.

I have another rule that if I hit one out of play, I can hit the other ball laying 3. IOW, if I hit ball 1 in play and ball 2 OB, I don't go, "ok, ball 2 is OB, that's my worse so I need to re-tee." I just play ball 1, lying 3.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If optimizing scoring to one's potential is the game, don't look at me as an example lol. Any bogs or worse I made were not a result of being overly aggressive, though. Those holes you mentioned aren't times I had a short iron, got all aggressive, and ended up bit in the a$s with bogey. They were just bad shots, chips, and putts.

I was just emphasizing the need to get better with the short irons and wedges being a legitimate part of the game to work on.

The part of your round made up of holes you have short irons and wedges in - you can't be over par if you want to get into that low single and toward scratch range, DC. You've got be hitting it to proximity where you're making lots of pars, and splashing in some birds.

Take out 6, where he hit a 6 iron. He had wedge or short iron into all 5 greens, and walked out 2 over. Get a better golfer to pinch-hit those approaches, and he's probably walking out of there ~2 strokes lower on average.

deal alert. these UA bags are supposedly made by sun mountain. free shipping.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=day1golfbag&EMID=B2C_2018_1130_DailyDealsDay1

costco website, not sure if membership is required.

saw this in DoND on wrx.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Er, I think City said "puts in the time" not just "shows up for celebrity events".

If Wayne Gretzky put in the time on the course and on practicing that City does, he would be a +5. But I've read interviews from him before, he doesn't want to practice, he doesn't want to be a 2 hdcp. He just likes playing rounds. And I think he lives at Riviera too - so its not like he's lacking for the facilities.

deal alert. these UA bags are supposedly made by sun mountain. free shipping.

https://www.costco.c..._DailyDealsDay1

costco website, not sure if membership is required.

saw this in DoND on wrx.

EagleGrintMoreLLC pimping out free Costco Executive cards with any new membership deal...confirmed.

questions of the day:

1. how many hours a week do you practice or play, if you average out a typical month?

2. how many hours a week do you think city practices or plays, on average?

1. recently, 4-5 for me. prior to nov. 1, 2.5 (1/2 round plus some putting+chipping).

2. 24. and that's conservative.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

questions of the day:

1. how many hours a week do you practice or play, if you average out a typical month?

2. how many hours a week do you think city practices or plays, on average?

1. recently, 4-5 for me. prior to nov. 1, 2.5 (1/2 round plus some putting+chipping).

2. 24. and that's conservative.

1. I'm probably closer to 6 hrs a month during the season -- an hour at the range, a half hour on short game each weekend.

2. At least. It may be the thing I am most jealous of in my life. I love practicing and play-cticing. It seems like City is out there every day. It's glorious. He has earned every inch of the improvement he has made.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee