2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I stopped at 2nd Swing on Friday. It was open, but they were still putting shelving together and emptying boxes.

Played Worthington this morning. Greens have been punched, big holes. Not horrible, but not smooth. Rest of the course is coming along. Still alot of divots/thin spots in the fairway that will grow in soon.

• Like 1

> @ALTSean said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > TPC sawgrass tomorrow morning. Can’t wait. Hoping southwest doesn’t have any issues with my travel golf bag.

>

> Where else are you playing around Jacksonville? I was stationed there for 4 years and got to play TPC Sawgrass twice and it was great.

>

>

Timuquana country club

King and the bear

Slammer and squire.

• Like 1

> @FAbb said:

> WHERE'S THAT 2NG SWING REPORT, FORT? THANKS.

Sorrrry! Went to walk a quick nine after dinner.

2nd swing is definitely worth the trip. They are still getting set up, but have unpacked a good majority of the inventory. Pleasantly surprised by the left handed selection...much more than anything I have ever seen at golf galaxy or golfsmith (r.i.p.). Seemed like a larger selection of woods than iron sets, which wasn’t all that surprising. Great putter wall.

The hitting bays were very impressive. They were nicely sized so you didn’t feel like you were going to hit a wall or tv screen like in some stores. Reminded me of club champion bays. There must have been 4-5 bays where you could hit anything off the used racks and another 3 where they were setting up for fitting new clubs with all the shaft options hanging on the wall.

No apparel except for hats. And only a few bags to be found. They did have a nice deal on a combination of hats and gloves. Pick 3 for $35.

I tried a few drivers for shiggles, but didn’t buy anything.

• Like 1

> @gsrjc said:

> > @ALTSean said:

> > > @gsrjc said:

> > > TPC sawgrass tomorrow morning. Can’t wait. Hoping southwest doesn’t have any issues with my travel golf bag.

> >

> > Where else are you playing around Jacksonville? I was stationed there for 4 years and got to play TPC Sawgrass twice and it was great.

> >

> >

> Timuquana country club

> King and the bear

> Slammer and squire.

>

The World Golf HoF courses are both good and lots of fun. Lots of good golf in that area!

> @Fort11 said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > WHERE'S THAT 2NG SWING REPORT, FORT? THANKS.

>

> Sorrrry! Went to walk a quick nine after dinner.

>

> 2nd swing is definitely worth the trip. They are still getting set up, but have unpacked a good majority of the inventory. Pleasantly surprised by the left handed selection...much more than anything I have ever seen at golf galaxy or golfsmith (r.i.p.). Seemed like a larger selection of woods than iron sets, which wasn’t all that surprising. Great putter wall.

>

> The hitting bays were very impressive. They were nicely sized so you didn’t feel like you were going to hit a wall or tv screen like in some stores. Reminded me of club champion bays. There must have been 4-5 bays where you could hit anything off the used racks and another 3 where they were setting up for fitting new clubs with all the shaft options hanging on the wall.

>

> No apparel except for hats. And only a few bags to be found. They did have a nice deal on a combination of hats and gloves. Pick 3 for $35.

>

> I tried a few drivers for shiggles, but didn’t buy anything.

>

>

>

>

>

>

Were the Titleist mesh back fitted new era hats included in that deal? Need to re-up my stash.

> @dcmidnight said:

> Friday afternoon happy hour at 2nd Swing confirmed.

PQ said something like they have 20,000 clubs, "2000 in stock". But, I'm not sure what he meant by that. Like, do they have a warehouse there? And there's 2000 clubs on the floor? I don't know.

I'll be by one of these weeks.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

gave a lot of thought to taking molinari. seems like a perfect course for him. Seems like the masters hangover is real for guys in contention so i eventually stayed away ... only to take a different guy (poulter) who was semi in contention. we'll see. in my other pool there is a suicide pool for making the cut. 23 people left. one didn't submit a pick. OOPS.

I went with Bryson this week, just felt like he was back and forth last week with his new sticks and figuring stuff out. But wanted to stay as close to the top of my list as I could and he has played well here in the past.

Molinari was a huge gut punch last week. I am ~70th out of 330 right now but if he had won would have moved to 5th. As it was, moved to 68th. Ugh.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> **Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE**

>

> When I saw the weather forecast for Sunday I bailed on my planned golf round and decided to take my daughter shopping in Delaware (Tax Free! Suck it Maryland!) We hit Christiana Mall, then headed north to 2nd Swing. I had always wanted to go check it out, so we went. Easy to find location of I-95, just take Concord Pike about 3 miles north and its in a non descript strip mall in the right. When I got out of the car I thought "Welp, this isn't going to be good. Its in a corner spot, and didn't look very big.

> I was wrong.

> d68lfmz48ia7.jpg

>

> This is only half the store. There are a total of 8 hitting bays- 6 for general use, 2 for dedicated Club Champion like fittings. For the fittings, there were 2 employees for every customer- 1 watched the swing, the other solely the Trackman results. Really cool.

> Bargain bin of Drivers, wedges and iron sets sat outside. Most drivers in that were $10, with the usual K-mart off brand stuff, (Bulleit, Ram) but I spied a 580XD Taylormade for $10 and two Ping Eye 2 iron sets there.

> Once you get in there's a greeter, and gave him the just looking thing and rolled a few putts. Almost all the used putters had a new SuperStroke grip or of the like installed.

> e57ovczynh0o.jpg

>

> As for used clubs, there be a few:

> xbyxpvckmwat.jpg

> dcuaiipso4vm.jpg

> Prices were higher than Ebay for sure. Quality is great though, I wouldn't rate any of the used drivers that weren't in the bargain area below an 8 out of 10. I took a few swings with a Cobra F8 driver with a 65s Diamana, and the fitter said I needed Regular as I didn't have the swing speed for it (cue weak OCGolfRick joke here). That was priced at $246.99. I then grabbed an ST180 Mizuno with a 65R and it was priced at 164.99. Hit a few with it, but didn't like it. No apparel in the store to speak of, just clubs, balls and accessories. Would like to go back for a full fitting and putting fitting maybe in the summer. Neat facility, one in the Columbia area should do very well.

>

>

>

OCGolfRick's 2nd Swing Review: Photos, Writeup, Opinions offered, Price comparison, Makes and models of clubs discussed, Trackman hitting bays discussion, Cited Sources, Footnotes.

Fort11's 2nd Swing Columbia review:

> @Fort11 said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > WHERE'S THAT 2NG SWING REPORT, FORT? THANKS.

>

> Sorrrry! Went to 2nd Swing Columbia. Hats on Sale!

>

>

>

>

C'mon Man.....Its your pals at the Hive here! Let's see a little effort, a little pizazz! Don't treat these field reports like one of your haircuts!

• Like 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

> @ceejay81 said:

> I went with Bryson this week. I'm up to 4th in the pool after picking Tiger last week. I need some more wins if I have any shot at catching City in this pool.

Catching me is still very much in the cards for a lot of players. Maybe not so much winning the whole thing, but catching me, sure .

I'll say it now, now that it's over (I might have said it before), but I had a strategy of making a run at Q2. I determined before it started I wasn't leaving anything in the tank for Q2 so I'm playing with house money now. (btw, it's "over". I'm 1.9M up on second and it ends this week, and first prize isn't enough). It was over with a high probability when 2More took the same golfer as I did at the Masters.

I have a primary and a secondary strategy going forward. The amount I shift towards one or the other will depend on the way the dice rolls over the next 5 weeks.

I feel like I've used everybody, but I still have Brooks, Tiger, Leishman, Fleetwood, Mickie, Kuch, a few other guys. There's a lot of good golfers out there.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I feel like in a pool where you dont lose points for missing a cut its definitely harder to catch a leader.

Our pool is -350,000 points for missing a cut and in a major its 1.5x that. So if you win a major and get 1.5x the points and guys in front of you miss the cut, there can be huge swings.

But you're right, there are so many great players on the board still for everyone. Its why I rarely if ever stray out of the Top 30.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

There's still like what, 16-18 tournaments left? Long way to go for the overall. City, you were en fuego this Q2. I've got the highest 'average amount per cash' in the pool, but the problem is I've missed 5 cuts lol. Took 3 in a row at one point in weeks 3-5. Can't be taking anymore goose eggs like that to have a chance at winning. Realistically, I don't know how many people have a legit chance at the overall at this point. Maybe the top 8? Unless someone gets lucky with some outside the box picks scooping up W's while lone wolfing?

1jdxzruhygcj.png

I like watching this tournament. I had a chance to play Harbour Town with my dad a few years back so it's fun to see how the pros play the holes. I went with Benny An in the pool this week. I really wanted to go with someone who didn't play or contend in the Masters last week and he's been playing some good golf lately. Spieth crossed my mind. I think a course where he doesn't have to hit driver will do him good.

I still have DJ, Rose, Molinari, Bryson, Xander, Rickie, Finau, and Fleetwood left to use. I went through yesterday and tried to slot them in at the remaining tournaments. It will be interesting to see how much I deviate from that plan.

Does anyone know how the pool will work next week when they are playing in teams? I am assuming you won't be able to pick a team where you have already used one of the golfers.

> @ceejay81 said:

> There's still like what, 16-18 tournaments left? Long way to go for the overall. City, you were en fuego this Q2.

>

>

The problem (as is always the case with these things) is that a guy in 10th doesn't just have to catch me.

He has to catch the guy in 9th, and the guy in 8th and the guy in 7th, etc etc. And, he has to do it from basically the same pool of golfers.

It's similar when you go into a weekend like the Masters with 9 guys at -6 and -7, and people are going "the guys at -1 and -2 still have a shot". Yeah, a 1 in a million shot. Finau did what he could with a remarkable Saturday and still couldn't get there because it only takes ONE guy playing half decent in front of him to close him out. I sent the picture to some guys of all the players at -6 or -7 after Friday and I said "the winner will come from this group". Not a bold prediction, but you wouldn't know it to hear people talk about the guys at -1 and -2 having a shot. And, they STILL need to catch all the guys at -3 and -4 and -5.

In Q2, I had a couple winners. DJ got me a T2, but a couple big weeks were when I picked Rickie and he lost to Keith Mitchell, but NO ONE had Keith Mitchell. And I had Molinari for 3rd at the match play, but no one had the guys in 1st or 2nd.

DC, that would definitely make for bigger swings, if you get negged for missing cuts.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @t4t3r said:

> Good 2nd Swing report(s). I may make the hike up there this weekend given the weather forecast. I was also considering some vehicle shopping - does anyone have a VW salesman they could recommend? I miss my GTI and hate my Honda.

Not sure where you're at but we've had great service at VW Springfield. Bought it at another dealer that turned out to be awful - but we've had consistantly good service experiences here.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @t4t3r said:

> Good 2nd Swing report(s). I may make the hike up there this weekend given the weather forecast. I was also considering some vehicle shopping - does anyone have a VW salesman they could recommend? I miss my GTI and hate my Honda.

The one from Rick was Delaware. The one in Columbia, apparently you can get used hats and used gloves for a decent price.

I never have a salesman of anything that I'd recommend. Sniff around the internet and try to play the dealerships off each other. "Ok, I like that car, but this guy in Rockville is offering the same thing for $500 less."

Personally, I think the deals on used GTI's are pretty great. I got an Autobahn with 36K for about $20,500 a few years back. It's been perfect. If I got a new car tomorrow, I'd get another lightly used GTI.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > There's still like what, 16-18 tournaments left? Long way to go for the overall. City, you were en fuego this Q2.

> >

> >

> The problem (as is always the case with these things) is that a guy in 10th doesn't just have to catch me.

>

> He has to catch the guy in 9th, and the guy in 8th and the guy in 7th, etc etc. And, he has to do it from basically the same pool of golfers.

>

>

> DC, that would definitely make for bigger swings, if you get negged for missing cuts.

>

>

Yeah, exactly. That's why I mentioned people have to be lone wolfing to catch up. At least in the majors, there's going to be multiple people more than likely picking the winner. Gonna be hard to be the only person to pick a winner and it's still hard to gain ground on others who are still picking high cashers. I do like the deduction for missed cuts. Definitely makes it easier to catch up to people above you in the standings. It's hard to gain a million on someone even if you pick a winner.

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @t4t3r said:

> > Good 2nd Swing report(s). I may make the hike up there this weekend given the weather forecast. I was also considering some vehicle shopping - does anyone have a VW salesman they could recommend? I miss my GTI and hate my Honda.

>

> The one from Rick was Delaware. The one in Columbia, apparently you can get used hats and used gloves for a decent price.

>

> I never have a salesman of anything that I'd recommend. Sniff around the internet and try to play the dealerships off each other. "Ok, I like that car, but this guy in Rockville is offering the same thing for $500 less."

>

> Personally, I think the deals on used GTI's are pretty great. I got an Autobahn with 36K for about $20,500 a few years back. It's been perfect. If I got a new car tomorrow, I'd get another lightly used GTI.

Thanks DC, I will check with Springfield.

Definitely what I’m trying to do. Unfortunately when you “request more information!!!” from the dealer websites I’ve gotten stuck with guys who never leave me alone when they give me some absurd price. I don’t want to sit in the dealer for hours when I can do it over email.

> @Fort11 said:

> At least there is some consistency in our reviews! But yes, yours is far superior. I did get a new barber. Forgot to mention that. Looking forward to feedback at the next event.

>

> Minor 2nd swing gripe...the tees. They were like badminton shuttle *****. Give me an adjustable tee so I can hit some 200 yard bombs!

'S ok, Fort. Let's just be thankful that this just a recon report of a golf store and not...some other time or alternate universe...

(Cue TV Flashback sounds)

The Scene: September 15th 1944. Siege of Metz, France. 3:30AM. General Patton has ordered a full attack at dawn. Captain Fabb of the 1st Maryland Regiment nicknamed "Hive" anxiously awaits the return of his recon officer.

Recon Officer OCGolfRick slithers in the hastily made Hive bunker from the thunderstorm outside.

"Officer, report!" barks Captain Fabb.

OCGolfRick opens his pack and brings out a plethora of maps, photos, and notes. "Not good sir, but I've got a plan. Krauts are dug in hard in trenches with a machine gun nest- no real chance of a frontal assault working, they'd cut us to pieces. Worse yet, there's a sniper nest covering them about 50 yards east of that position. "

"Doesn't sound good", says Captain Fabb, hitching up his slim fit pants. "This'll give us a chance to use some of that new ammo Supply sent us! I like this new ammo, its a little more aerodynamically designed. I'm really noticing a difference in distance with it, and its got a much more penertrating flight when I shoot it. I was testing it against last year's ammo and I swear I was getting about 5 yards a shot more! I think it has to do with the dimple pattern on top of the bullet. I could go on..."

"No, that's ok Captain Fabb, we attack in less than 2 hours."

"Ah, yes. We'll save that discussion for our 3 day leave we've got coming up. So, you say you have a plan?"

"Sir, there's a ridge with trees 30 yards west of their position. I say we take out the sniper nest, then flank the machine gun nest through the trees. Use our big hitters with bazookas (nods over to PQ, ButteryCut and HBD to blow those Huns to hell!"

"Excellent idea! Who should we have cross enemy lines and take out the sniper?"

"Undoubtedly CityGame sir" (OCGolfRick glances over where CityGame is fingering his necklace of 25 ears he has taken off the Germans.) "But we'll need someone to risk their lives in front of that sniper to create a diversion."

Captain Fabb says :"What about Sgt CeeJay? He's the bravest of us all. Remember when he was going to get married in between golf rounds?"

OCGolfRick looks over at Sgt Ceejay, who was enveloped in fog of smoke. "I think Sgt Ceejay is in the midst of building up his courage for battle sir. We'd be better with someone else."

"Who do you suggest?" asks Captain Fabb.

"Well sir, the British were nice enough to loan us one of their Gurkhas..." (looks sideye at Eagle1997)

"Excellent suggestion!" (Captain Fabb fistbumps OCGolfRick) "How were you able to come up with such detailed information about a place you had NEVER seen before?"

"Well, sir, they gave me one of those newfangled communication devices! Not only that, it takes photos as well, and it fits right in my pocket! Only takes a few seconds! I can't imagine some going to recon a new place and not sharing a few photos with their fellow soldiers!"

"I'll see you get a medal for this! Hivers, mount up!"

**OR**

Recon Officer Fort11 slithers his way into the hastily made Hive bunker from the thunderstorm outside.

"Officer, report!" barks Captain Fabb.

"Huh?" says Fort 11. "Oh yeah, there's some Germans out there." He opens his back and pulls out a gnarly ACE comb and begins to try to maintain his abomination of a haircut. "Like, just over there...somewhere."

"Do you have any idea of numbers. or what we're up against?"

"I dunno, it's raining and stuff and kinda dark outside. Prolly between 2 and 100. They might have guns."

"Did you get an idea of their position, or any photos even?"

"Huh?" asks Fort11 as he scrolls through the newfangled text message function on his communication device. "Nah didn't think of it."

"Well, I just don't feel comfortable ordering an attack..."

"Look, Captain Fabb, we're wasting time here. We're here, Germans are over there. FOLLOW ME BOYS, LET'S GET THESE GUYS!!!!"

Hivers charge out of bunker, 10 minutes later all are dead save Captain Fabb, who was able to turn sideways and avoid the bullets by using his wispy frame and ability to sense the change of dimple pattern on each bullet shot at him.

****RECON..IT MATTERS.

• Like 2
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Fabb : "Report"

Fort 11 : "The Germans have some hats. And it looks like they have some gloves."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green