2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I don't mind taking mid irons off the tee as long as the approach shot isn't particularly long. But if I'm hitting 6 iron off the tee, then 6 iron again as an approach, that's a crummy golf hole.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

> @davechen said:

> The Inside 9 at Northwest is very annoying that way, as is Sligo Creek.

I consider the inside 9 at NW an "executive" course. The people that course was made for can hit driver almost every hole.

I don't mind having 1 or 2 mixed in where you need to hit a GOOD shot with a hybrid or long iron. 5 & 6 at Cattail are really good holes that take driver out of your hand.

Our "second" course doesn't really have "FORCED" layups. But, it's often the smart play. I'm fine with that.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > One little case of the hotel bois, and domes is reconfiguring everything for max forgiveness.

> >

> > What's next, a squarestrike wedge?

>

> Domes and I brought 7 clubs each to TR. Instead of whatever he's been hitting, he brought the JPX-800s. I think he had a moment like I did when I switched back from the Cleveland CG-1's to the MX-300's.

>

> Like, "why haven't I been playing these all along?"

>

> I never liked the looks of the 8XX's, but I love the MX-300 and JPX-9XX lines.

>

> Also, I wasn't keeping tracking, but I believe the SHANK SCORE from tobacco road was about 4-0.

>

> I was the 4.

BTdubs, I haven't played a lot of golf with City lately, and this is old news for those who have, but his driving is the best I've ever seen from him, and it's not really close. He's longer than I've ever seen, but drives are right at the target. It was pretty awesome.

> @SullGolf said:

> We can let "forced layup" mean whatever people want it to mean, if it rustles their jimmies. Totally subjective.

> Like the 12th hole at Worthington, I generally don't think of it as a forced layup just because you can't bang driver out there. But I'm sure someone else would think of it as one and get irritated by it.

> We could grade it on a curve of how many clubs less than driver you have to hit. If I'm hitting 1 or 2 clubs less than driver I don't even think about it. If I'm forced to hit 3 or more clubs less than driver, it's usually (but not always) a sign of a funky hole. And I'm not considering holes where I'm hitting a conservative tee shot but there is a high risk, high reward option to go after.

Correct. And I would put 4 at NW and the par 5s on the front at Bristow in the "crappy" category b/c, as far as I can tell, there really isn't an aggressive option. Same w/10 at Pohick. On the other hand, 5 at Brambleton is a 90* dogleg left, where you can hit 6/7i to the 150, but you can take take 4 iron and play a draw more left that leaves you 70y, or you can bang D or 3w and go for the green, but it is completely a blind (risk losing your ball) and you have to play over trees and over/near the 6th tee. Ive done it a couple times, but only in scrambles. I never see anyone do it in a regular round, thankfully, probably more for safety/pace of play reasons. But that doesn't bother me b/c there are actual options.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Woodmore has one par 5 (6) that is a crappy lay up. I feel like 4-5i is the conservative option off the tee for me, and that’s just not cool. I struggle navigating 6 and it often blows up my scorecard.

I will say though, for a golfer who likes to hit driver, Woodmore hasn’t annoyed me with the lack of “driver holes”. The more I play it, there are only 5-6 holes I pull it. But there’s still plenty of holes where a good 3w or even a hybrid will still cut the corner and leave me with a flip wedge from the 6700 yard tees. It’s taught me a little more about using all the clubs in my bag.

• Like 1

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> Woodmore has one par 5 (6) that is a crappy lay up. I feel like 4-5i is the conservative option off the tee for me, and that’s just not cool. I struggle navigating 6 and it often blows up my scorecard.

>

> I will say though, for a golfer who likes to hit driver, Woodmore hasn’t annoyed me with the lack of “driver holes”. The more I play it, there are only 5-6 holes I pull it. But there’s still plenty of holes where a good 3w or even a hybrid will still cut the corner and leave me with a flip wedge from the 6700 yard tees. It’s taught me a little more about using all the clubs in my bag.

Full agreeance. Brambleton is the same for me. Lots of doglegs right (2, 4, 16) and fairway pinches (10, 11, 13) where a cut-ish FW/Hy/3I is plenty (as opposed to a driver that can blow through the fairway or into a narrow spot.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

> @"top.h" said:

> I cant recall how quickly the trees come in - or how tall/full they are during the spring, but couldnt you take a high booming draw over the right trees and end up in the middle of the fairway on #6?

They come in pretty freaking quickly. And they are pretty freaking tall. It’d be hard taking that approach over and over and not making it every other time. Plus, if you don’t make it, the drop you have to take essentially guarantees a double or worse.

Punched greens at Laurel Hill but otherwise very good conditions and discounted rate yesterday. For a County course, the staff, service and practice areas are very good. The par 5s are legit and the long par 3 on the back 9 (14th) has to be one of the tougher par 3s in this area especially for a right to left ball flight. Laurel Hill seems to be the Worthington Manor of VA as most of my better and real golfer friends who are low or scratch play these two a lot.

It’s also amazing that a lot of the courses are coming back and looking this good after the miserable wet, muddy season.

LH logo has to be one of the best in this area.

• Like 2

> @aiyyer said:

> Punched greens at Laurel Hill but otherwise very good conditions and discounted rate yesterday. For a County course, the staff, service and practice areas are very good. The par 5s are legit and the long par 3 on the back 9 (14th) has to be one of the tougher par 3s in this area especially for a right to left ball flight. Laurel Hill seems to be the Worthington Manor of VA as most of my better and real golfer friends who are low or scratch play these two a lot.

> It’s also amazing that a lot of the courses are coming back and looking this good after the miserable wet, muddy season.

> LH logo has to be one of the best in this area.

I am pretty lucky that LH is @ 5 minutes from my office and 10 minutes from my house. Very good track and they do a good job of keeping the place in good condition.

• Like 1

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @aiyyer said:

> > Punched greens at Laurel Hill but otherwise very good conditions and discounted rate yesterday. For a County course, the staff, service and practice areas are very good. The par 5s are legit and the long par 3 on the back 9 (14th) has to be one of the tougher par 3s in this area especially for a right to left ball flight. Laurel Hill seems to be the Worthington Manor of VA as most of my better and real golfer friends who are low or scratch play these two a lot.

> > It’s also amazing that a lot of the courses are coming back and looking this good after the miserable wet, muddy season.

> > LH logo has to be one of the best in this area.

>

> I am pretty lucky that LH is @ 5 minutes from my office and 10 minutes from my house. Very good track and they do a good job of keeping the place in good condition.

My son is doing First Tee at LH, but I have yet to play there. The range and putting green are pretty solid so I try to get some practice in when I take him to First Tee.

> @dcmidnight said:

> I am pretty lucky that LH is @ 5 minutes from my office and 10 minutes from my house. Very good track and they do a good job of keeping the place in good condition.

They have tee times on the carts!! The putting green is pretty intense also..

I just wish the crappy new houses/condos were hidden from the course especially on the start of the back nine.

> @ALTSean said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @aiyyer said:

> > > Punched greens at Laurel Hill but otherwise very good conditions and discounted rate yesterday. For a County course, the staff, service and practice areas are very good. The par 5s are legit and the long par 3 on the back 9 (14th) has to be one of the tougher par 3s in this area especially for a right to left ball flight. Laurel Hill seems to be the Worthington Manor of VA as most of my better and real golfer friends who are low or scratch play these two a lot.

> > > It’s also amazing that a lot of the courses are coming back and looking this good after the miserable wet, muddy season.

> > > LH logo has to be one of the best in this area.

> >

> > I am pretty lucky that LH is @ 5 minutes from my office and 10 minutes from my house. Very good track and they do a good job of keeping the place in good condition.

>

> My son is doing First Tee at LH, but I have yet to play there. The range and putting green are pretty solid so I try to get some practice in when I take him to First Tee.

Let me know if you want to get out some night. The late afternoon/eveningish tee times are usually pretty cheap.

• Like 2

Played lodestone on Tuesday before my work trip started. Felt like the middle of nowhere, gravely driveway. We were the only people there but was nice, course to ourselves. Layout was nice. Bunkers in all the right places off the tees. Good mix of doglegs and straight holes, straightforward and blind tee shots. Greens were in a great shape, just a bit slow. It was sloppy wet, wet wet wet. Like our trip to Pinehurst wet. As others have said, it’s a bit of an overpriced resort course. Not worth $89 to me on a Tuesday but the views were great.

Played LH last week for the first time and enjoyed it. 18 as a par 5 is an interesting hole. Shot a 90, pretty good for never seeing the course before.

> @aiyyer said:

> Punched greens at Laurel Hill but otherwise very good conditions and discounted rate yesterday. For a County course, the staff, service and practice areas are very good. The par 5s are legit and the long par 3 on the back 9 (14th) has to be one of the tougher par 3s in this area especially for a right to left ball flight. Laurel Hill seems to be the Worthington Manor of VA as most of my better and real golfer friends who are low or scratch play these two a lot.

> It’s also amazing that a lot of the courses are coming back and looking this good after the miserable wet, muddy season.

> LH logo has to be one of the best in this area.

• Like 1

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @ALTSean said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > > @aiyyer said:

> > > > Punched greens at Laurel Hill but otherwise very good conditions and discounted rate yesterday. For a County course, the staff, service and practice areas are very good. The par 5s are legit and the long par 3 on the back 9 (14th) has to be one of the tougher par 3s in this area especially for a right to left ball flight. Laurel Hill seems to be the Worthington Manor of VA as most of my better and real golfer friends who are low or scratch play these two a lot.

> > > > It’s also amazing that a lot of the courses are coming back and looking this good after the miserable wet, muddy season.

> > > > LH logo has to be one of the best in this area.

> > >

> > > I am pretty lucky that LH is @ 5 minutes from my office and 10 minutes from my house. Very good track and they do a good job of keeping the place in good condition.

> >

> > My son is doing First Tee at LH, but I have yet to play there. The range and putting green are pretty solid so I try to get some practice in when I take him to First Tee.

>

> Let me know if you want to get out some night. The late afternoon/eveningish tee times are usually pretty cheap.

Will do! I might be able to drop my son of for first tee and have my wife pick him up and we could probably get in 18 holes this time of year.

But of course I did.... I would definitely play LH again. Conditions were great. Greens were smooth but lots of undulations.

> @aiyyer said:

> Mizzy, I have only played that course three times and you do lose quite a few strokes for not knowing some of the idiosyncrasies of some of the holes . But you’re Worthington regular tough though!

> Did you pull out your Jon Rahm on the course also?

• Like 1

Damn, thats crazy!

We had a point yesterday where it was hailing out - but completely sunny.

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/Yl5aO3gdVfsQ0/giphy.gif "")