2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

My first thought was software glitch, but as of yesterday, they had no times available for wed or thursday (now they have them available for Thursday) but they did have times for Friday going forward. So, it wasn't like everything was just up and running normally. Times opened specifically on Friday (now Thursday).

But the main thing. . . the "covid-19 release form" is new within the last day on their site. It wasn't there yesterday. All they had yesterday was a notification that said, "check our 'news' link for information blah blah blah."

And -- this is just in response to your post, not getting political -- there are states where guys are walking into statehouses with Ak-47's. A guy opening a golf course who is losing 100% of his revenue, while still laying out costs for maintenance is some pretty low-key civil disobedience (IMO). I don't think it's going to be widespread, but I'm not surprised that someone is testing the waters. 2More tells me the management has been pretty vocal on facebook on the closure, so maybe he's just at his wit's end. It will be widespread if he gets away with it.

Someone has to send a signal to the governor that we can look at businesses as individual entities. If WM accomplishes this, then good on them*.

Dom has a tee time Sunday (and I haven't ruled out Friday or Sunday) so we'll know more after Sunday. Well, we'll probably know more after tomorrow.

*Interesting article in the Times today about transmission rates at specific establishments and types of establishments. . .like, how long people stay at a place, how close people are inside a place, how often people visit a place. All of our decisions so far have been about who is essential and who isn't with very little regard for actual transmission probabilities at places. I'm not saying anyone dropped the ball on this, but it's going to be one of those things that has to be weighed going forward.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

that's the place like a quarter mile from The Pow. Right near work. I used to speed skate there.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You want talk politics or politicians or covid transmission rates or what you think of what someone else thinks about that - feel free to do it anywhere else you want.

You really dont need to make this a bigger deal than it is, its a pretty reasonable ask.

And if you dont think it is, feel free to hit the Report flag.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

A course right across the PA/OH border had custom plexiglass dividers made for their carts. They were produced in conjunction with and approved by the health department. Not sure on their efficacy on cutting down transmission of germs (walking is obviously still the smarter choice). But I give them a bit of credit for innovating.

93XHUM05R92C.png

AXO3GS006BBT.png

Sneak where is that? We've been talking about doing something similar.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Keeps 2 dudes in a cart, which I assume speeds up play and more money coming in as opposed to the one in the cart one walk rule the courses around here were doing. LOL at a 4some having 4 carts and STILL driving to each others balls.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

BTW -- according to someone else, this is definitely an attempt by WM to test the waters. They're trying to keep it low key. Such people can chime in here if they so wish.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That is some awesome intel right there.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Speaking of courses being closed, they just said there is a nonzero chance of an overnight flurry warning on Friday night?

My folks are getting snow but they live in Northern New England.

G.

T.

F.

O.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Back to golf /strategies:

I'm not on a TON of course email lists, but it seemed like this time period would have been a great opportunity to pre-sell some bundles of greens fees, like a buy 3/get 1 or some sort of 10-round package like Worthington used to do. Courses could get some immediate cashflow and 'defer' some of the losses to later in the season. Did anyone see any offers floating around like that?

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Yeah that’s my kiddo rink

We knew a month ago they were renting ice rinks or an ice rink out.

place has 4 rinks (two smaller than the others).

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Not at all.

That's awesome that you called and posted exact response and I'm very interested in what comes out in the next few days.

This came out 15 hours ago:https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/ac-cs-area-golf-courses-0506-20200506-khv5oi5eijfn3al5u246hemfgq-story.html

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Agreed, I actually went back and checked my Spam folder to see if I lost some Worthington emails that went out. Couldnt find any.

I did a curling league at Laurel Ice House one year. Before you laugh - or after, whatever - its an absolutely brutal workout the first time you do it, I could not walk the next day and I'm in reasonably decent/not terrible shape.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

This would have been awesome, lots of restaurants around us were doing great deals on giftcard's and the like.

I didnt see any of the courses around me offer anything like that, let alone really any discounts on the rounds I have played either. I think those open were super busy and packed to the gills, that they didnt really need to incentivize or give good deals?

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

THISSSS!!!

I would gobble up some of those deals right now.

5TSOBIBKAX0T.jpegInside information

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Contrary to the PGA tour, all of our tournaments are Majors. There are 10 of them.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The much awaited, long anticipated round recap from the “best sporting event of the year:”@aiyyer invited @bandondunes54 , Adam (@aiyyer ’s + 1) and I to play a late afternoon round at Stonewall. I had never played Stonewall, but @aiyyer is an exclusive member of their “Cannon Club” and knows the place inside and out. At first the invite was innocent enough, just a few Hive members getting together for some state approved outdoor exercise. Then things took a turn. The texts started coming. @aiyyer called out my game, told me to retire, not just from golf, but I think from life in general. Things were getting dark.  Social isolation had put @aiyyer in a bad place. Just months before he was my best friend at the Pinehurst Brewery and now this. I was shaken. I thought about ghosting him, but I wanted to play golf. And @bandondunes54 is fun to play with and tells me good shot from time to time while he shoots even par. 
Stonewall is kind of trek from inside the beltway and I was stuck on work calls all morning, but I arrived about 30 minutes before our tee time. As I pulled up @aiyyer is in the lot, ready to go and he gives me a cold Hoganesque stare and mutters a lukewarm “hello.”  I go to check in and the range is closed, perfect for @aiyyer as he knew the range would be closed and warmed up offsite, with a Trackman.  Solid hustler move.  A+ for headwork.  I head over the chipping green and mange to hit a few and then roll a few putts before we have to head off to the first tee. The sky was grey, angry grey.  Storm clouds were ominously hanging overhead.  Things were looking bleak for your protagonist. 
A purely factual and unbiased hole by hole recap is below:
#1: Short Par 4 dogleg right. @aiyyer tries to cut the corner and slices it right into an old lady’s COVID-19 garden. I poke one down the middle, get on regulation and 2 putt. @altsean +1
#2: Straight away Par 4 up a hill. @aiyyer pulls one left into a homeowner’s freshly mown lawn, clearly OB. I make a par. Many holes later @aiyyer claims he made a par. (at this point in the match, we did not know we were playing a match, more to follow.) @ALTSean scoring: +2 @aiyyer scoring: +1
#3: Dogleg left Par 5, I bogey with a 3 putt. @aiyyer bogeys. No blood.
#4: Longish Par 3 over water: I miss the green pin high to the right, @aiyyer misses short and right. I par from the fringe. @ALTSean +3. 
As we walk to the 5th tee, @aiyyer wants to get in my head and starts some MJ style trash talking. I tell him that I am up 3 through 4. He tells me that we are not even playing a match, but now that I’m keeping score, we are playing a match, but I’m only up 2. This @davechen scoring confusion continues until about hole #17. 
#5: Shorter uphill par 4. From the fairway, I find the greenside bunker and fumble around for a double. @aiyyer wins and closes the gap to down 2 or maybe down 1, no one knows. 
#6: Par 5 dogleg right. Both of us are on in regulation, but I’m at 6 feet up hill for birdie while @aiyyer has a 30-foot downhill to the water. Both par, push. Good guys up 2 or 1, not sure.
#7: Shorter par 3 over water. Both of us hit the green and push with pars. Things are getting tight. Golf is being played. Friendships are being tested. Adam and Dom may be regretting their life choices for playing with these two morons.
#8: Straight away par 4 uphill. Both bogey.
#9: Straight way par 4 uphill again. Like in some twisted M.C. Escher painting, every hole at Stonewall goes uphill. We both find the fairway, but I again find the green side bunker. I get out cleanly for once only to choke under the immense pressure and three putt. I’m +1 or tied, who knows, we’re still doing a recount.
Long walk from #9 to #10.
#10: Uphill Par 4. We’re mentally exhausted at his point. Cracks are starting to show. Tensions are high. We both double. I’m still up maybe 1 or a half or tied. 
#11: Short Par 4 dogleg right. @aiyyer pumps one into the trees right never to be seen again. I hit the fairway and then the green. @aiyyer “finds” his balls, hits it long and OB left over the green, takes a “drop” from a sprinkler, gets up and down for a 8 or maybe 9. I get a 4. We tied the hole. I’m not accusing anyone of anything, but if a “Warm Regards” letter shows up in @aiyyer ’s mailbox, I would not be surprised.
#12: Par 3, uphill, everything is uphill, over water. I par, he bogeys. I’m up 2 or 1.
#13: Par 5, uphill, dogleg left over water. Now, here’s where things get fun. I hit a weak wipey fade right and barely make landfall. @aiyyer is in the middle of the fairway. I hit a weak punch attempt to the fairway, disappointing @ClubProGuy and all his punchout tips. @aiyyer gets on in 4. I’m short in 3, hit a linksy bump and run that earned the praise of @bandondunes54 and I end up at 3 feet. @aiyyer putts to 5 feet and is lying 5 while I’m lying 4. I ask for “good / good?” and he says yes. I pick up and walk to #14 up 3 or 2. Many holes later @aiyyer will realize that “good / good” is a strategic mistake when your opponent will win the hole.
On the walk to #14: Adam stone-faced asked us what we are playing for. We both look at him like that it is the world’s dumbest question, because of course us two idiots are not playing for anything. We’re grinding away in a Patrick Reedesque grudge match over nothing. No post round beer, no $2 Nassau that I learned about from @Ocgolfrick, no side bets on squirrels, NOTHING. 
#14: Short Par 4, uphill. I find the fairway bunker and greenside bunker and find my way to a dubs. @aiyyer single bogs and closes the gap to 2 or 1.
#15: Shorter Par 4, dogleg left. @aiyyer and I are carrying on at an obnoxiously loud volume while meanwhile @bandondunes54 is trying to tee off. @bandondunes54 being who he is, he shrugs it off and still manages to keep his ball in play. @aiyyer hits a house OB, literally, and I find the fairway. No provisional was called and we walk down the fairway. I assume I’ve won the hole. @aiyyer then asks for a drop from where he went OB. 

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/734/Y3O150HMQ0DI.jpg[/img]
I win the hole and am up 3 or 2 or something.
#16: Par 4, dogleg left. We both par so we head to 17 dormie or I won.
#17: Par 3, overwater, lots of bunkers, always uphill, murder hornets. @aiyyer hits the GIR. I am spending more time at the beach than David Hassellhoff and take a couple to get out of the bunker. I’m up 1 or the match is over, we’re both spinning, the high stakes are getting to us. 
#18: Par 5, water, uphill, bunkers, lasers.  While we wait on the tee, @aiyyer and @bandondunes54 regale us with an @eagle1997 story that I won’t do justice recreating so I’ll save it for them. @aiyyer hits short left of the fairway bunker, I find the fairway. Sensing impending doom and dread and a poorly written WRX recap, @aiyyer goes for the green with a 3 wood or maybe a heavenwood, not sure. He finds the water short and right. Retees in a real Roy McAvoy move and finds the water again. I think I’ve won again. I’m on in regulation. @aiyyer drops near the green and finishes out the hole.
I scrape it around for a 2 up victory, but now the time has come for our awkward post-round COVID-19 virtual handshake. Cooler heads prevailed and he reluctantly gives me a “good game.” @bandondunes54 in a Maddenesque way puts a bow on the day stating that the guy with the lower score won today.  Immediate requests for a rematch ensue. Socially distant post-round hang in the parking lot. Then the long drive home to tell the roommate about the day’s struggles and ultimate victory and she is only mildly less interested than you the dear reader. 

No squirrels were harmed in the making of this recap. 

• Like 1