2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I actually like the back 9 at Bristow - the front nine has a really bad stretch there that deserves all the hate it gets.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Bristow is on the no go list for XHoop. Played it once and immediately knew I would never drive that far to play it again. If I lived closer I'd be willing to play it with the right group.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I wouldn't say I'm a hater, but the holes can be mowed different. I get it's not an over night project, but the force carries can be updated. There was one hole I remember I had to carry 200+ over schmutz into a head wind with trouble every where. Second shot choice was a little over a 100 yard lay up or a 200 yard carry again over schmutz around a blind corner. Just the layout wasn't fun. I like challenging courses. Stoneleigh is one of my favorite courses of all time.

For the putter heads out there, this was a good post from Sean @Toulon: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19453326/#Comment_19453326

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Sean is such a great guy, its one reason I love being able to support their business. When I went on the TaylorMade trip to Dallas either five or six years ago, he was there and was just so great to talk to. He was completely honest about the business, completely open about why TM did or didnt do certain things - he was just really fun to hang out with. Pretty sure they launched Toulon soon after that trip.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

with the lack of sports me and a friend have been doing a top-5 every day. Like today we did the top 5 college football helmets. We've done the top 5 months of the year. We did a top 10 fast food items. etc. etc.

So today's for WRX: Top 5 majors you could change the result and give the trophy to the runner-up. You're flipping first place and second. You can do this when there was a tie for second. Only majors since 2000 are eligible. If you don't take the 2006 US open away from geoff ogilivy and give it to phil mickelson you make me wish for a downvote button on wrx

• Like 1

2009 British Open - Tom Watson over Stewart Cink

Thats it, thats my list.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

What DC said. 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

DC: make sure you test your smoker's built in temp gauge, if it has one. I struggled for 2 years with smoking until this Tuesday, when I finally tested it and realized that it measured 45-50 degrees hot. Explains why I would have pork butt on there for 16 hours and still couldn't get it to 200. Tough to get a hunk of meat to 200 when the fire's going at 185.

And magically, Tuesday pork butt was cooked perfectly in 8 hours.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

1) Tiger hitting the flag at Augusta on Saturday at Augusta maybe 7-9 years ago and getting that BS penalty costing him all momentum. He was leading at the time?

2) Rory not pooping pants at Augusta back 9 2010.

3) DJ not 3 putting 18 at Chambers in 2015.

4)Jordan not melting down on back 9 at Augusta to lose to Danny Willet a few years ago.

5) Tiger not going 3 over on those first few holes on the back 9 and beating Molinari at the Open 2 years ago.

Top Five :

1) Jay-Z

2) '86 Masters. Seve over Jack.

3) "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

4) Blue

5) Pizza

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Really for majors . . .

Watson holding off Cink.

Tiger over Y.E. Yang would be way up there for me. (By the way. . .Club Pro Guy on twitter just did a very funny recap of that PGA. It was all about how people had grown bored of Tiger and were rooting for the young upstart from South Korea).

I like Sully's pick of Van De Velde. No one deserves that and I like the French.

Here's the BIG TIME answer : Robert De Vincenzo over Bob Goalby in the 1968 Masters. Obviously, I appreciate the rigidity of the rules as they apply to the playing of golf, but stuff like "incorrect scorecard" is complete nonsense.

And. . .Tiger COULD have been DQ'ed from that tournament when he hit the flagstick (but that goes back to wrong scorecard stuff). His penalty was the correct penalty. He literally stated that he didn't play from the same position. That's a whole different ball game than a wrong scorecard.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I have taped and been watching a lot of the Masters replays - the De Vincenzo nonsense has always bothered me.

Last night I was watching the Adam Scott replay and one thing really jumped out at me. It was absolutely POURING out - and not one guy is wearing rain gloves. Some of them had an extra glove hooked inside the umbrella that they were swapping out. Even then though, you know at best that thing is damp, its not drying out. But in the final round of a major, in the pouring rain - not one guy had even one rain glove on. I have the FootJoy and TM rain gloves, they are both great in the rain, sometimes I'll wear just one but most of the time I have them both on. It just struck me in that during what might have been the most important round in these guys careers - zero rain gloves.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

The has to be runner-up is a big factor. You can't take Kaymer's 2010 PGA and give it to Dustin Johnson for example. Despite my deep love for Rory i'd think about taking away his PGA and giving it to Rickie. But Phil was solo 2nd. Rory playing the 18th at the same time was such garbage.

I think you're looking specifically at guys who you wish had less majors to their name: Padraig, ZJ, Angel Cabrera, Brooks, Spieth, martin kaymer and guys who don't enough like Sergio, DJ, etc. Giving more to Tiger is criminal. I know it wasn't in the rules but I can't take away majors that guys why by a lot. Like Kaymer at Pinehurst. Even though I'd love to give that to Rickie. I'd have loved to find a spot to give one to Westwood but I didn't see one that I'd change if I could.

I'm not taking away Stewart Cink's british open. Tom Watson had 6 majors. and I don't really want 59 year olds to win majors. That's a really good one though. I can see why it'd be #1 for others. I'm also not taking away Brooks US Open at Shinnecock. It was so annoying how hot his putter got but Fleetwood played such a different course. It would feel SO cheap to give that to Fleetwood. A common theme to my list is that the runner-up played at least as well as the winner. Sometimes kinda better except a putt here or there.

I don't like taking away majors from guys who only have one. Even the Shaun Micheels of the world.

5 - 2005 Masters. Chris DiMarco's chip shot on 18 goes in. Tiger never once had someone luck box against him. And Dimarco was so insanely good that week. You go back and watch and it and wonder how he even had a chance. Tiger was so so so so so much better than anyone else. He kinda did win with his C game that final round. I really struggled with this one.

4 - 2004 US Open. Retief Goosen makes every single 15 footer on sunday and beats Mickelson by 2. Mickelson three putted the 17th. I despise these majors when the inferior player takes away a major from a historic great because he luck boxes his way to victory.

3 - 2015 US Open. DJ makes the eagle putt on 18 or destroys Spieth in the playoff on Monday.

2 - 2007 British Open - Sergio over Padraig in the playoff. Sergio would've had a different career if he had won that one. Whiner as he is I wish Sergio had a different career. Padraig shouldn't have three to his name. I forgot how annoyingly slow he was at the start of his career. It wasn't until his struggles that he became easier to root for and seems like a good fun guy.

1 - 2006 US Open - Geoff Ogilivy doesn't deserve two majors. Phil would move up the list of all time greats if he had that US Open

5 - 2005 Masters. Chris DiMarco's chip shot on 18 goes in. Tiger never once had someone luck box against him. And Dimarco was so insanely good that week. You go back and watch and it and wonder how he even had a chance. Tiger was so so so so so much better than anyone else. He kinda did win with his C game that final round. I really struggled with this one.

4 - 2004 US Open. Retief Goosen makes every single 15 footer on sunday and beats Mickelson by 2. Mickelson three putted the 17th. I despise these majors when the inferior player takes away a major from a historic great because he luck boxes his way to victory.

am I reading this incorrectly or am I correct in posting

7MEYZWXTNHBX.png

Bristow is that old reliable slam piece that's always there for that late night call. I've played it too much because my league used to be there, and its always fine but just lacks really anything and everything, especially on the front. The back saves it from being a totally blah experience, and for the most part its usually in ok condition because the zoysia can take a beating and you're right, the greens are usually in pretty good shape. Its also the nicest grass range around the general area that is open all year. Its bounced around with management companies in recent years, and the current one seems to be somewhat stable and is putting some money into the patio, clubhouse, and manorhouse so thats nice to see. Its also usually crammed with people, but then again around the area what place doesnt get that way.

Its all in all a pretty consistent 5/10, middle of the road, basic experience. Could do worse, could do better, but it just is.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Played at Reston National this afternoon. It was my first time in six weeks. Didn't really keep score, but probably shot in the mid/high 80s, if I would have kept it. It's really weird to think about keeping score with a pool noodle sticking out of the cup. A lot of rust on the short game.

Overall, I was pretty apprehensive about going to play golf in the current conditions, but left feeling a little bit better about my decision to play than I thought I would. They've done a good job of preparing the course and area, around the clubhouse, given the situation. The biggest risk, imo, is people being too cavalier about distancing. I ended up playing the first 5 holes by myself, and then played the rest of the way around with one other guy. He was in a cart and I was walking. We kept our distance, and I think both appreciated a few "normal" hours. We made it around in about 3 hours, which was awesome. And, a little confusing because when I made my tee time, the sheet was packed and there was no real availability. The course didn't seem as busy as advertised.

It was really wet, obviously, but overall the course was in good shape, especially the fairways. The greens were in good condition, but long, and slow. I can't imagine they've had too many opportunities to cut them with all of this wet weather. One thing that stuck out to me about the course today was how many trees overhang fairways, or very near fairways. I found myself hitting a lot of low shots under trees from just a few (maybe more) yards off the fairway. I don't mean to go all fried egg, but #treemanagement.

Anyone else get out this afternoon?

I played Reston a few weeks ago and was out there hitting balls this afternoon. I was there around 3-4 and saw a bunch of groups tee off with fewer than four people. Saw a twosome and a single. I had the same reaction as you because the online system showed no available times today even for a single. And you have to pay by CC when you make your time there, so I can't imagine people were just blowing off their tee times and forgoing their money. Weird.

The quarantine is driving some newcomers to the thread who need to talk about golf because they can't play enough. I dig it.

Reston National is probably the VA course I've played the most, even if it isn't very frequent. My old company had an office out there, so I'd stop by when I could. The range is sub-par, but it has a good practice green and the course is fun. It was always slammed though. I'm sure I could appreciate it a lot more in a 3 hour round.

• Like 1

@Sonja Henie Welcome!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway