2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Infrequent lurker, even less frequent poster. You're right -- not getting out regularly is killer, but getting out for a walk today was great...and I had to tell someone.

I've played infrequently at Reston National, too (maybe a dozen times over the past year)...but with the FFX county courses closed, it was the best (walkable) "value" today.

A 3 hour round is always awesome -- anything sub 4 is good, sub 3:30 is great -- especially walking. Faster than that and I start feeling rushed. I carried today vs. pushed today, and I think I'll be feeling that in the morning...

Broke out our new smoker last night for the first time. First time cooking with charcoal in...who knows how long. Bought a couple of whole chickens at Wegmans, split in half and coated in a dry rub. They were on there for about an hour, Couple spritzes of apple juice to keep the moisture in and a bbq sauce coating near the end. It was incredibly good.

50X8D24H5CUZ.jpg

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Both of those look incredible.

smoking meats is a quarantine hobby I could really get behind.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Don’t know why the golf bug is hitting so hard today but man I would take a trespassing charge to go play. Sitting outside reading a golf digest and taking practice swings isn’t cutting it

I notice that some folks at The Cannon Club (formerly Old South Country Club) are playing...I guess they all have the “F you” money to pay any fines so why not

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

interesting and not enough to pay their bills

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I know this is definitely not the place to come for sympathy but yesterday was a brutal day to play. It started pouring almost right as I got out of my car and didn't stop until the 17th hole. On top of that, it was cold AF and I was wearing shorts. Did not bring a waterproof hat (mistake #1) and had left my umbrellas at home (at least mistake #14). At the turn the other guys in my group each grabbed a cart but that seemed more annoying to me with the cart path only than just walking. Once you're wet, you're wet. I didn't want to sit in the cart, sort of drying out but not really, then getting back out again. Nah. Put three doubles and two birdies on the card for a 42/39//81. I dont know how I managed two birdies on a day like yesterday but there was really nothing good about the round. On days like that I try not to take anything too seriously with regards to the golf.

Good weekend overall with my wife down on the Eastern shore. Lots of golf, online poker and Call of Duty. Back in the office this week which is fine since the weather looks like butt.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

@Terphack @dcmidnight Great looking smoke-jobs. I had a kamado grill for a while and I used to smoke, but I never got into it as much as I like to cook and wife doesn't like the smoke flavor. It always seemed like any day that was nice enough to smoke, I was golfing, or paddling, or hiking. But I like it quite a bit.
I played Saturday at Quail Valley. I started out up and down for par, then I shanked my tee shot OB on the next hole, then other weird things happened, but got it together on the back a little. Only birdie was a drive I lost right on the 16th. I had 122 in and I had to punch a 4 iron under some limbs. Pin high and dropped it.
I was playing with TVJ who has been swinging clubs in his back yard. We're normally the same distance, but he was outdriving me by 20+ yards ALL DAY and was at least one iron longer. I won the first hole of the day and was 5 down after 9. LOL.
He closed me out 6&5 and we halved the press. I bet he shot about 75 for his first round back. We weren't even playing the same game.
Funny-ish story : we're playing with a father/son who could both hit the ball and play the game. Around hole 6, the Dad goes, "how did you guys do at PB Dye?"
And I was like, "What?"
And he goes, "We played at Waverly the day you guys won it. We came in last."
OH. I go, "that wasn't us. That was me and another guy, and we won it at PB Dye. . .so I've got membership at 5 courses and they're all shut down." He started laughing at that.
Saturday I left home around 5:45, played golf. when I got home, we were out the door in about 10 minutes to go paddling on the magothy, got home, sat around for like 30 minutes and went out to visit friends in the county and we sat around a fire drinking until about 10:30. It was an amazing day.
On the Magothy, we'll normally wee a few kayakers and maybe one more couple paddle-boarding. Saturday, I bet we saw 10-15 other people on boards, tons of kayakers, and way more people sitting around their backyards on the river. A lot of people don't have their boats ready yet so there was very little boat traffic also. Either a lot more people have taken up paddling since last year, or Corona got everyone out on the river. The parking area wasn't very busy, so I think a lot of the paddlers were people who lived on the river.
  • Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Interesting. There was a reduced umber of boaters for sure, but there were still plenty.

I saw 4 people on a catamaran who had a boat following them that I think were giving sailing lessons. A lot of other boats with just man-woman or man-dog on the boat.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City, you guys do paddleboarding right? The fishing trip we had to cancel for July was to a place in Belize where they pretty much only do SUP fishing. Its a pretty cool looking farm, rustic/off the grid. But even though neither of us had ever done it before the owner said the way that these particular boards are made, anyone can do it. I assume they are just much wider/heavier than your standard board.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Boards are all over the place. There are 12 foot boards that look like they're 15 inches wide that go fast but are tippy.

There are WIDE boards that, yeah, you can fall off, but you'd be surprised how stable they are and how easy it is. I'm sure that's what they use for fishing. I've seen fishing set ups. . .they install a couple railings so you can lean on them, and have all these attachments to rest your rod, or a little workshelf. It looks like a lot of fun.

And, yes. . .if you're on a glassy surface, with a big, wide, floaty board. . .anyone can do it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

And, yes. . .if you're on a glassy surface, with a big, wide, floaty board. . .anyone can do it.

Yeah the flats that this place is built on seems to be mostly in protected coves in a foot or less of water. There are no towns/roads so its pretty out there.

I know this is one of those things that I will regret later but it seems doable. Most of them seem to be rigged up like this:

stand-up-paddleboard-leaning-post-tackle-tray-6.jpg

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I like that term - smoke-jobs. Nice smoke-jobs gents. That food looked amazing. That is one huge con of living in a condo/apartment, no grill/smoker.

I haven't swung a club since March 14th and I'm very curious how this plays out my first time on the golf course (I don't expect good things score wise). Assume first round will happen without a trip to range before. I did read a bad twitter joke about when I finally hit my first tee ball after this Covid break, I'm gonna hold the pose, take it all in, appreciate being on the golf course, then pull out my provisional as I hit 3 off the tee.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

that's not as big a board as I expected, but you'd be surprised how stable they are. Some of the inflatables are real monsters, and I've see big rectangles that people use for yoga.

The absolute HUGEST thing about staying up on the board is just to keep your eyes up on the horizon. When you start looking at the tip of your board, you start trying to make corrections and get wet. Wife always says, "if you look down, you go down."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Those look great. Also, you're lucky because it has been tough to find chicken at my usual grocery spots the last couple of weeks. All the decent stuff is gone.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Put order in for a Senna mid-mallet from Goodwood Golf Co. Local boutique putter maker based in Baltimore.

Excited as this would be my first truly custom putter.

Expecting it to get to me in like a month or so - will be thoroughly disappointed if I'm not golfing by then.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

To my last point, as of tomorrow, only 3 states will still have golf course closures in place with no guidance on reopening:

Maryland

Vermont

Massachusetts

@misplacedtexan83 random equipment thought - is Callaway's SZ fairway offerings with the weight in the back, just as forgiving (if not moreso) than non-SZ models?

Four of the Five par 5s are automatic three shotters, #9 is the exception. Just pay attention on the 2nd shots. Some good bunkering at the lay-up area (and I say lay-up, but really it's 3w area)

The back tees are 6700 yards and I like the course better from there, but it's not worth splitting the group up to do it. You should try playing #4 from back there if you're feeling froggy.

I will say that Wegmans has done a great job of restocking. Every time I've gone there they have had people constantly stocking the meat section although they now also have a rule that you can only buy two of each thing in the meat dept. Seems reasonable. The line to checkout was long and ran three full sides of the store but it went quick, very orderly and the checkers were flying. Everyone was chill, it was perfectly fine.

They had a 100 pack of fresh wings that - once I tasted how good this chicken was - all I could think about was how good those wings would taste with some jerk rub and a good cook.

• Like 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Rory, DJ, Ricky and Matthew Wolfe live from Seminole in two weeks?

Wolfe seems like the odd addition there but if its real golf, I'm in.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I would go as forgiving because the SZ tend to have a smaller/footprint and not draw bias

so for a hooker it would be more but for a slice it wouldn’t

once you flip the weight cog flips to the front so because less forgiving but lower launch/spin

• Like 1

protos F4

Awesome brother! Follow on IG and some cool stuff coming out of his shop

cant wait to see the final product. And you never can’t tell people you don’t throw good wood now

• Like 1

protos F4

bedford is for work so i won't hop back a tee box unfortunately. it's going to be cold. maybe it'll play similar to 6700 yards in the summer.

i played old hickory friday. it was 72.8/144 from the tees we played. 144 is really really high. and I'm not quite sure it's warranted. i don't think it's as hard as hialeah from the back tees which is only 138. i tend to only include the overall tightness of tee shots in my evaluation of really high slope courses though. old hickory had a decent number of fairway bunkers and some deep greenside bunkers. i hit it in the bunker on 17 and i was well below the level of the green. i drove it well which does make it more fun. i was one over on the front and three over through 14 before finishing double (from 80 yards) double (from 100 yards) bogey bogey. oops.