The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Mickelson surrender for half ?

I think Phil is getting too much heat. The only terrible shot I recall seeing him hit was the rinsed tee shot with an iron on the par 5. Garcia and Noren just ran roughshod over him and DeChambeau. (Their 5-under on the front nine beat six of the four-ball pairings from that morning and tied the other two.) Furyk really crapped the bed by sitting him Friday morning. There was no point using a captain's pick on him and not playing him in four-balls.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

I do not think it is already over, US team has serious players (Spieth, Thomas, Finau, Tiger...) some of the European are not that strong in contention (Mc Ilroy, Poulter..), tomorrow will be fun for sure !

You can't possibly call Finau a serious player and McIlroy someone not strong in contention. Remind me how many titles each has won?

McIlroy has not looked sharp all week. As we see with Tiger, titles are meaningless this week.

It's no coincidence that Thomas has been the best US player so far. The stat I read earlier was that the US team had played 8 competitive rounds over Le Golf National before this week. The European Team had 230+. If the Ryder Cup was a big picture thing for the US team, that stat wouldn't be as skewed as it is.

Unfortunately from the American perspective I don't think the leaders will learn from that like they should. Even if the course is not a regular tour stop like this one, you can at least have plenty of practice sessions among the team members before the event. I get the sense they have never really done that on the U.S. side of it.

Maybe it will come up in the next taskforce! Haha.

Right, lol....If the United States don’t bring the cup back, Phil Mickleson will trash Furyk, like he did Watson, because, you know, Phil is a man of great character, lol.....

Phil reminds me of David Simms in Tin Cup.

Maybe you forgot after Phil spoke up the USA won....................big time.

We may not win tomorow. But I don’t see it going all Europe’s way for a third straight day. They aren’t better players. At this point it’s mental. Depends solely on who gets in who’s head tonight and who shows up ready to play without a care for outcome.. Europe no longer has the cushion of being called underdog. Theyhave the pressure of actually losing. The us has already lost. No extra pressure at all. Should be fun.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.
I think I am getting lost here. You're saying the European players learned on woodland courses where you had to be straight?

Yes. The feeder and amateur tours use a lot of woodland venues. Not to mention braken and heather.

From my tv viewing of usa courses you have nothing like the diversity.
Try watching the tv with your eyes open next time. The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

There's nothing as blind as one who will not see. Believe what suits you.

Other than a true links style course, which technically counts as both a US and European Tour tournament, what style of course does the European Tour offer that the US Tour doesn't?

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

There have been an endless parade of US Opens contested at courses every bit as tight, penal and "tall roughed" as this one.

• Tiger has no luck, over and above how he played.

Luck???? I guess he has been unlucky over his 29 team matches.... winning only 9. The 20 losses are just bad luck.

I think you also said early on how bad Molinari's putting was, and how Tiger would walk all over him.

Nope. Never said Tiger would walk over anybody.

Luck???? I guess he has been unlucky over his 29 team matches.... winning only 9. The 20 losses are just bad luck.

I didn't realise Tiger played 29 matches the past two days; no wonder he's exhausted.

I did say "over and above how he played" but maybe you don't understand what that means. Besides how he played, disregarding how he played, you know along those lines.

Moliwood are a fricking buzzsaw (but I know how little you rate them from previous posts). Playing them 3 times is bad luck no? And Reed was awful as well. Never said anything specifically about Tiger's play, that wasn't the point.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.
You must not have watched very many U.S. Opens going back the last 30+ years.

Only all of them.

We may not win tomorow. But I don't see it going all Europe's way for a third straight day. They aren't better players. At this point it's mental. Depends solely on who gets in who's head tonight and who shows up ready to play without a care for outcome.. Europe no longer has the cushion of being called underdog. Theyhave the pressure of actually losing. The us has already lost. No extra pressure at all. Should be fun.

Agree that there is more pressure on Europe to go ahead and win now but there is still plenty pressure on the US team. The best accumulation of talent ever based on world rankings and at worst, the need to avoid a butt kicking which is what they have had so far.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

Only all of them.

Please explain where the bailouts were at Bethpage in 2002. You couldn't even hit iron off some of those tees because of forced carries over very thick rough. It was long enough that plenty of players in the field couldn't even reach some of those fairways. Not far off the fairway you had thick hay for the guys to deal with. I seem to remember a fiery Spaniard complaining about weather conditions that week.

From my tv viewing of usa courses you have nothing like the diversity.
Try watching the tv with your eyes open next time. The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

There's nothing as blind as one who will not see. Believe what suits you.

Other than a true links style course, which technically counts as both a US and European Tour tournament, what style of course does the European Tour offer that the US Tour doesn't?

You haven't watched much then if you are new to TV golf.

I think I am getting lost here. You're saying the European players learned on woodland courses where you had to be straight?

Yes. The feeder and amateur tours use a lot of woodland venues. Not to mention braken and heather.

And you think US players learned on something any different or less difficult? Seriously some people baffle me with their lack of knowledge.

Only all of them.

Then you really weren't paying attention.

Rose is out of Hankley Common, an open enough heathland track.

They made a big deal about Tommy sneaking onto Birkdale.

Rory is out of pokey Holywood and played loads of links golf and pretty much bypassed feeder tours... off the top of my head I don't know about the other guys.

But they are not playing any more 'wooded' or hazardous courses then US players are growing up. That is simply untrue. Go into the college/junior subforum. Heck there's a whole state where golf is played 12 months a year in one big waterpark, where reloading after another dunked shot is really common.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I didn't realise Tiger played 29 matches the past two days; no wonder he's exhausted.

I did say "over and above how he played" but maybe you don't understand what that means. Besides how he played, disregarding how he played, you know along those lines.

Moliwood are a fricking buzzsaw (but I know how little you rate them from previous posts). Playing them 3 times is bad luck no? And Reed was awful as well. Never said anything specifically about Tiger's play, that wasn't the point.

poor tiger, always unlucky with his partners and opponents in the ryder cup.Its never his fault... imagine his record if he played any top tiered players in singles over the years

poor tiger, always unlucky with his partners and opponents in the ryder cup.Its never his fault... imagine his record if he played any top tiered players in singles over the years

Don't forget, the rest of the Tour players are, quote, unquote, "Meh".

poor tiger, always unlucky with his partners and opponents in the ryder cup.Its never his fault...

Wow! It was just a simple point about Molinari/Fleetwood and Reed. Nowhere did I say it's "never his fault".

I guess I don't spend enough time in tour threads to realise I was touching such a nerve with some folks.

As another example, I think it is fair to say Bryson had poor luck as well with this pairings and competitors.

F.T.

Only all of them.
Please explain where the bailouts were at Bethpage in 2002. You couldn't even hit iron off some of those tees because of forced carries over very thick rough. It was long enough that plenty of players in the field couldn't even reach some of those fairways. Not far off the fairway you had thick hay for the guys to deal with. I seem to remember a fiery Spaniard complaining about weather conditions that week.

nope. I give you that one Bethpage was tough. Not the norm though.

On US tour we see a lot of shots played out of the trees lining the course. In europe nowhere near as much. In our feeder tours you miss, its gone. The European ryder cup team set it up like this for a reason. Because they believe theyre more used to it. At the end of the day its grass.

Tommorrow will be interesting. We all know what difference a day can make in golf. :golfer:

No one was going to beat molly and baby Jesus this weekend. ANyone playing them were unlucky.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

A few questions following Day 2 -

Will Capt America and his spouse now cease to wear Team USA clobber for the next 24 months both on and off the course?

Has anyone played worse in any RC than Capt America in 2018?

Will the Team USA Task Force be disbanded?

Did the guy who shouted “You’re welcome” to Bubba in the morning fourballs after he dumped his ball into the water get awarded with a signed glove?

Does Tabitha make all the decisions in the Furyk household?

Does Phil wish he’d brought his plane?

Rose is out of Hankley Common, an open enough heathland track.

They made a big deal about Tommy sneaking onto Birkdale.

Rory is out of pokey Holywood and played loads of links golf and pretty much bypassed feeder tours... off the top of my head I don't know about the other guys.

But they are not playing any more 'wooded' or hazardous courses then US players are growing up. That is simply untrue. Go into the college/junior subforum. Heck there's a whole state where golf is played 12 months a year in one big waterpark, where reloading after another dunked shot is really common.

All the courses you mention have braken and heather where no trees.

Why do you think they set up the Ryder cup course the way it is?

Phil vs Molinari on Sunday. LOL The US clearly does not think they have anyone who can beat Molinari, so Phil is picked to be the sacrificial lamb instead of wasting him on someone who can otherwise be beaten.

I think it's an ok move. When you need as many points as they do, you need to get as many sure thing wins as possible ( relatively speaking sure thing ). If you feel the chances of Molinari getting beat are really low, why risk one of your players that is playing well? Better to give him Phil. If Phil gets hot and takes him out, it's on, if not no real blood lost.

The captains do not know the other team's order when they make out their own, so your logic doesn't apply. However, when I saw that pairing I thought, "well, Phil wasn't going to beat anybody, and it's doubtful anybody was going to beat Molinari, so we might as well double up",, of course that's silly, because Molinari is not Superman...who knows? wouldn't it be a heck of a story if Phil did beat Molinari?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Only all of them.

nope. I give you that one Bethpage was tough. Not the norm though.

On US tour we see a lot of shots played out of the trees lining the course. In europe nowhere near as much. In our feeder tours you miss, its gone. The European ryder cup team set it up like this for a reason. Because they believe theyre more used to it. At the end of the day its grass.

Tommorrow will be interesting. We all know what difference a day can make in golf. :golfer:

Again you are showing your "ignorance" as others have pointed out. You seriously think that your feeder tours play tighter more penal courses than the ones in the US? How did a 14 handicap become so knowledgeable about the courses and mini tours thousands of miles away from the land of seaside open courses?

In other words you are wrong and sound completely ridiculous and devoid of knowledge of the subject.

It's partially his fault. It's not entirely his fault. The two things co-exist.

Nah, when youre the player of Tigers ilk and legend after a while the pattern is who you are and its 99% on you.if youre so far above the competition 362 days a year ( were talking prime tiger) and you suddenly forget how to play for 3 days over and over its very telling. I wanted him to ride off into the sunset and expected a little more as hes a new guy now with a better attitude. but..

tenor.gif

Only all of them.

Then I can dismiss your opinions out of hand.

No one was going to beat molly and baby Jesus this weekend. ANyone playing them were unlucky.

very curious to see how each other do without someone to lean on

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock