Installing grips. What am I doing wrong??

joj

Lighter fluid. Tee in the grip end. Swish some around the grip, pour it on the tape. Pour some more fluid on the tape. Make sure the bottom side of the tape actually has fluid on it. Hold grip by the mouth end, slide on. Once grip gets 1/2 way on, slide from the butt end. Make sure grip cap is seated firmly up against shaft butt.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a couple questions...

I changed the grip on my putter with a superstroke 2.0 a few weeks ago with the compressor, didn't have to replace the tape. It was still tacky and the grip wouldn't budge unless I blew more air in the end.

I went to do the same with another putter and the tape rolled up with the grip as I was pulling it off so now I have to replace the tape. I will be changing grips this way moving forward so I want to set myself up for success if this continues to happen or a friend comes over for me to change theirs and this happens again. So my questions are:

What tape do I get?

Do I need to use solvent since I'm using the compressor?

Would a water activated tape work better in this type of installation?

Basically I just need to know specifically what to get in order to set up for success. Thanks in advance for any advice

When installing the Superstroke putter grip, most the time it'll need to built up the shaft with tape near the tip of the grip. It has a larger opening that's a fixed diameter which won't conform to the taper shape of the shaft.

Using air compressor is great for this project, since you could back out the grip and adjust the tape position and layers if needed.

When using the air compressor to install golf grips, there is no need to use double sided tape with adhesive. All you need is either the regular masking tape or the painter's tape ( 2" or 1 7/8" if you can;t find the 2" , narrow tapes could be used applied with a spiral pattern ). Use the same size of grip to the shaft, 0.60 to 0.60 and 0.58 to 0.59 ( it;s okay to use 0.58 grip on the 0.60 shaft , it'll just feel a bit thicker, but using the 0.60 grips on the 0.58 shaft will need built up with extra layers of tape , in case you did not use the two sided grip tape.

In general, no adhesive grip tape is needed if you install with air compressor. Dip the opening of the grip in either water or a little solvent to help slip on the shaft. Easier to install and stay on without twisting if installed with matching size ( could modify to fit if not the same size, just a little more time needed ).

I always do two wraps for superstroke and a little more build up near where the bottom of the grip will sit. I don’t get the air thing unless you like swapping grips out once a week or saving a grip (which can be done with tape) on occasion. I bought a driver shaft that had a blown on grip and it would twist at the butt and drove me crazy. I have never had a problem with tape or using odorless mineral spirits, paint thinner, or Brampton’s. I like knowing when I put a grip on its there to stay but to each their own.

The former owner did not air grip it correctly ( a slight possibility would be it's a counterfeit grip made with inferior material , I had seen it ).

I used to have issue with grip twisting using air compressor to install without the adhesive tapes. Until I figured out why the grips were slipping.

No problem for years with all types of grips.

As for no need to switch putter grips, it;s fine that you have no need to do so. Someone like I whom has more than 2-3 dozens of putters might want to be able to reuse the $30 grip instead of have grips on all the putters , for most of them only see the golf course once or twice a season.

If using the grip tape makes you happy and have confidence in the grips to stay put ( of which I had seen twisted golf grips with double sided tape installation , many times ), do it your way, there is no definitive "best way " to install a golf grip.

Do I need to use solvent since I'm using the compressor?

For air compressor installation - I do not use double-sided grip tape or solvent at all. I use plain masking tape (blue or regular, doesn't matter) simply to build up the typical thickness under the grip. The natural friction of the rubber grabs well enough to the non-sticky side of the masking tape to not have any slippage.

You can also use an air compressor to remove grips installed with regular solvent/grip-tape. However, because those grips are essentially glued on, you'll need to be a bit more careful here. What typically happens is that when you inflate these stuck on grips, a bubble will want to form where the grip tape releases first, and still be stuck down where the tape is grabbing harder onto the grip. Inflate this bubble too much and you'll cause the bubble to BANG!!!. This burst is way louder and more violent than a typical toy balloon explosion. This can be controlled/prevented by putting a section of pvc pipe over the grip to restrain the space the bubble can expand into and allow the air to fully work its way between the whole grip and the grip tape. When that release process is done, the grip will slide off on the cushion of air. Sometimes this takes a bit of twisting and manipulation to get the grip to break free. Typically, the grip can be re-used when removed in this manner.

None of this is required, of course, if you use regular masking tape instead of regular two-sided grip tape.

For years I used mineral spirits and tape from either Golfsmith or Golfworks and it works fine for the most part. You have to make sure the grip is fully coated inside, plug holes and swish fluid around inside, before dumping out solvent over the grip tape on the shaft. You need something like a painters tray to catch the spill off or it will make a huge mess on the floor (recycle the spill off). When using this technique every so often you will come across a grip or batch of tape that tends to stick a little. It's frustrating for sure but using force will typically get the grip on in those instances. Having your air compressor handy can be a real lifesaver when you get a sticking grip; a quick blast of air in the grip hole will loosen up the grip and allow you to slide it on the rest of the way. More recently I've moved to Bramptons grip solvent and I find it's slicker than using mineral spirits. A few pump shots inside the grip and a few mist pumps over the grip tape is all that's needed. The grip slides on easily and you don't need to deal with catching runoff.

Regarding air, I only use it to help get the grip to slide when the tape grabs too fast. I've found that grips tend to rotate over time when installed using air and masking tape and that bugs the crap out of me so I don't do that. Plus, you still need to apply tape to the shaft so using air doesn't save any time over grip tape and solvent. The only advantage of blowing on grips to me is the ease of removal.

I have been using air for more than 10 years now and have put on literally thousands of grips since I was co owner of a golf shop. I have yet to have any grip slip I have put on with this method on my clubs or anyone else's that I know of.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

For years I used mineral spirits and tape from either Golfsmith or Golfworks and it works fine for the most part. You have to make sure the grip is fully coated inside, plug holes and swish fluid around inside, before dumping out solvent over the grip tape on the shaft. You need something like a painters tray to catch the spill off or it will make a huge mess on the floor (recycle the spill off). When using this technique every so often you will come across a grip or batch of tape that tends to stick a little. It's frustrating for sure but using force will typically get the grip on in those instances. Having your air compressor handy can be a real lifesaver when you get a sticking grip; a quick blast of air in the grip hole will loosen up the grip and allow you to slide it on the rest of the way. More recently I've moved to Bramptons grip solvent and I find it's slicker than using mineral spirits. A few pump shots inside the grip and a few mist pumps over the grip tape is all that's needed. The grip slides on easily and you don't need to deal with catching runoff.

Regarding air, I only use it to help get the grip to slide when the tape grabs too fast. I've found that grips tend to rotate over time when installed using air and masking tape and that bugs the crap out of me so I don't do that. Plus, you still need to apply tape to the shaft so using air doesn't save any time over grip tape and solvent. The only advantage of blowing on grips to me is the ease of removal.

I have been using air for more than 10 years now and have put on literally thousands of grips since I was co owner of a golf shop. I have yet to have any grip slip I have put on with this method on my clubs or anyone else's that I know of.

My sample size is much smaller, but over 10 years and dozens of grips installed with air, the only grip I had issues with twisting was Golf Pride CP2 midsize. Air installation is so easy.

Even easier is using blue painters tape and compressed air. 50% of grips go on with nothing else but blowing air into the grip hole at the top. The other 50% (usually the tacky rubber grips) need some rubbing alcohol used, just as you would the solvent method. Slides right down quick and easy and dries up pretty quick. The best part is... you want to take that grip off because you don't like it, but maybe you could change your mind again? Air compress that bish right off in about 1 second and save your grip instead of destroying it.

I have an air compressor and vise but I've had mixed results with this method.

What sort of hose tip do you use?

Do you have any trouble with grips going on mis-aligned? I like to use Swing Rite grips and the alignment aid needs to be perfect.

I use this air gun but with the stepped metal tip. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-Piece-Blow-Gun-Kit-18249HOM/205331812

The stepped metal tip lets you stick it in the end of the grip.

As far as mis-alignment, you can give quick bursts of air to move the grip around. I do use a little bit if solvent at the end of the grip. This helps get the grip started over the butt but also as the air disperses through the grip so does the little bit of solvent. This gives you a few seconds after the grip is installed to make quick alignment adjustments before the solvent evaporates.

I prefer VM&P Naptha. It never fails. I hear too many mineral spirits horror stories.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

I prefer VM&P Naptha. It never fails. I hear too many mineral spirits horror stories.

Yes, seems like what they sell as mineral spirits has changed to reduce the smell and flammability. That stuff does not work as well for anything.

I’ve used the mineral spirits but switched to paint thinner which is mineral spirits just not refined any. Both have worked well for me.

Yes, seems like what they sell as mineral spirits has changed to reduce the smell and flammability. That stuff does not work as well for anything.

It is stuff badged as clean spirit you have to be careful of. No odour but some of the brands have the same effect as pouring water on the double sided tape and the adhesive simply does not become slippery.

I use a tee to plug the butt end of the grip, pour solvent into the grip, cover top end with finger and give it a good few shakes so the solvent costs the entire inside of the grip before pouring into the grip.

From there, the clock starts. Have to be quick.

You just added extra time by using a tee that has to be removed instead of your finger to cover the hole on the butt end.

I pour solvent in the grip and shake to get a good coating. Then I take my applicator bottle and squirt solvent on the grip tape. Finally I pour the solvent in the grip on the tape too. Speed is everything as just delaying 5 or 10 seconds can cause the grip to stick. Done it this way for years with very few problems.

I use a tee to plug the butt end of the grip, pour solvent into the grip, cover top end with finger and give it a good few shakes so the solvent costs the entire inside of the grip before pouring into the grip.

From there, the clock starts. Have to be quick.

You just added extra time by using a tee that has to be removed instead of your finger to cover the hole on the butt end.

Not really. I’m a ninja so no time lost. But to each there own.

I pour solvent in the grip and shake to get a good coating. Then I take my applicator bottle and squirt solvent on the grip tape. Finally I pour the solvent in the grip on the tape too. Speed is everything as just delaying 5 or 10 seconds can cause the grip to stick. Done it this way for years with very few problems.

I ended up just going to golf galaxy and getting tape and solvent and doing this, at first the grip got stuck about 2” down and I pulled it back off immediately and poured more solvent on and it slipped on with little pressure.

I always refer back to this legendary instructional by Superman if things need to be just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bfBQeDqq2A

Lol, Yea that’s absolutely the worst grip video ever.

I'd be willing to bet that video is the result of a PGA Apprentice having to make a "last minute" video for his club repair section of the PGM Program. Should be retitled as "How not to properly regrip a golf club - How many bad choices can you point out?"

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Use Brampton's. Huge difference.

Bingo. Never had an issue like this a single time using Bramptons. Spray on tape, spray inside grip a few times, put on grip. No "one motion" or "go quick" garbage. Once on, you can even easily manipulate the grip to get the alignment you are looking for.

I always refer back to this legendary instructional by Superman if things need to be just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bfBQeDqq2A

Thank you for posting that link. It is THE funniest thing I have seen all year, period!

It's hard to explain to a non-golfer / clubmaker how funny that video actually is. The final take where he has mentioned to just about get 1" of grip onto the end of the shaft with masses of bunched soggy tape underneath and the odd bit of grass thrown in for good measure is priceless with him saying "and that's how you re-grip a golf club"

Yes it’s a remarkable work of modern filmmaking that only golfers would appreciate. I have watched it countless times and it only gets better. To watch the grip flop at the tip of the club, simply cannot be replicated in filmmaking today. It’s hard for me to say this and I don’t take it lightly, but it’s deserving of an Emmy. I cry.

I agree with all this and use air + solvent/double sided tape to install. If you don't want to use air, I find I have to rub some solvent into the tape to get the adhesive going, then pour a little extra solvent on.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]