WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

While not a big time tournament like we usually discuss here, I thought folks might be interested in a little local tournament I am playing in now. It is a partner tournament (net only) where you play 27 holes each of two days. First 9 is scramble, 2nd 9 is alt shot, and you finish with 9 holes of best ball. Net only is very challenging for me with no strokes. Partner is high single digit. Every other team is sporting double digit handicaps. Amazingly we are leading after the first day of play at -10 (net). We shot -3 gross. My partner played great. She made putts from everywhere. My game was pretty scratchy with poor putting and inconsistent driving, but I chipped in for a bird and stuffed a couple of irons for easy birds. We need to keep up the good play tomorrow to finish this off. I love this format. It is loads of fun.

• Like 1

Played my final tournament of the year the last two days. 36 holes of strokeplay with a cut to 36 and ties after round 1. I started well, but with a couple of loose shots I was +2 after 10. Not too bad. Still in it with a strong finish. Then I developed some low point issues (hit it fat for about 5 holes in a row). With one 3-putt to boot I wound up limping in at 78 (+8). Made the cut on the number.

- Started on 10 in the second round. Par 5. Good drive that leaked a hair to the right and kicked into a bunker. Then 3 iron from the bunker that leaked a little bit (must have been windy...) and kicked right and wound up on the edge of a bunker. Wedge onto the green, but bottom tier with a probably 80 odd foot putt up a tier. Left it about 10 feet short and made it.

- Made another 10 footer on 11 after my tee shot leaked into right greenside bunker (the wind must have flipped).

- Then 12 hit a good drive and pin cut tight right - aimed left half of the green (right was dead) and blocked it and found the 4 yard sliver between the pin and death. Made it from 4 feet for birdie (good putt too - it turned about 6 inches). -1

- 3 putted the next to go back to even.

- Played the next one reasonably well for a good par.

- Then spun an 8 iron off the front and failed to get up and down. +1

- Good drive and good 3 wood on the green on the next to leave an eagle putt. Made par...

- Par on 17

- 18 my drive leaked right (story of my day really) into a fairway bunker. Caught that one a fraction heavy and wound up in another greenside bunker. Hit a really good bunker shot that spun a little away from the hole and wound up about 6 feet. Hit that a foot outside the hole, but it wasn't enough and I missed low side. +2

- Good drive on 1, then missed my approach a hair right, but got it up and down for par.

- Perfect drive on 2, then leaked a 3 wood right about 40 yards away. Good pitch to 10 feet and made it for birdie. +1

- Get to the third. Long par four into the wind and uphill. I hit a good drive down the left half of the fairway into a divot. Whoever created said divot must have been playing to a green about 50 yards left of the hole I was playing. Had 202 uphill from a divot. Got it in the greenside bunker (I was aiming at the left edge of the green, which would have been fairway if it came up short, but I blocked it again). Pin cut just over the bunker and my bunker shot went about 15 feet by. Putt shaved the edge of the hole, but just wouldn't stop and wound up 6 feet past and I missed the one back. +3

- Awful block on the next hole and a pitch on and putt just didn't quite break. +4

- Decent drive down the left half that kicked into the rough. Hot 6 iron didn't quite stay on the green and then I overhit my chip and missed the one back again. +5

- Good drive on the next and 8 iron to 15 feet. 2 putts.

- Par 3 up a hill into the breeze (and the rain at this point). 7 iron from 142 to about 10 feet and made it. +4

- Good drive and an 8 iron to 25 feet. 2 putts.

- Weak drive up the right into the first cut. 4 iron that (if you guessed that I leaked it right, then congratulations) leaked right into a greenside bunker. Hit a pretty good bunker shot from there that wound up about 8 feet under the hole and I made that from there.

74 +4. Finished in a tie for 17th. 71 was the low round on the day and the field was pretty good. Not bad given my series of fat shots and blocks. Positives are my short game was pretty strong. My bunker play was great. I got up and down 5 times out of 9 over the two rounds, which for me is virtually unheard of. Even when I didn't I couldn't fault the bunker shots I hit.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Obee said:

> Well, I finally did it. I won one. I am now the senior amateur champion of the 2nd largest city in the United States! No matter what, that will always be true! :-)

>

> https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057507.pdf

>

> So much to say, I don't even know where to begin....

Congratulations! I guess I should have paid more attention to your Putting Improvement thread.

• Like 1

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Played my final tournament of the year the last two days. 36 holes of strokeplay with a cut to 36 and ties after round 1. I started well, but with a couple of loose shots I was +2 after 10. Not too bad. Still in it with a strong finish. Then I developed some low point issues (hit it fat for about 5 holes in a row). With one 3-putt to boot I wound up limping in at 78 (+8). Made the cut on the number.

What was the tournament?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Over the weekend, I played the Ojai Senior Cup at former Champions Tour venue, Ojai Valley Inn on Saturday and then Soule Park, newly renovated by Gil Hanse, on day 2. Solid field of senior (50+ ams). Coming off the win at the LA City Senior, I was feeling great mentally, but horrible physically. Back spasm are still a daily problem, unfortunately. Wife stayed behind for this one, so I took the drive up myself and it was relaxing and beautiful. Will definitely go back next year and bring the wife.

Started with a bogey-free 66, my first ever bogey-free tournament round. I've had maybe 15 or 20 in my life, but never in a tournament. And this was on a course I might as well have never played. I played it 15 years ago and vaguely remembered one hole, the first. LOL

I was paired with the best California Amateur in the last 20 years and one of the best of all time, Tim Hogarth (look him on up amateurgolf.com). I matched him shot for shot until he birdied the 18th to better my opening round score by one. My putting is just in a zone. I feel like I will never 3-putt again (of course I will, but the positivity certainly doesn't hurt!).

The equation is really very simple: LINE ON BALL + CLAW GRIP + CLOSED STANCE + BALL POSITIONED OFF LEFT TOE + MODERATE FORWARD PRESS + ODYSSEY STROKE LAB DOUBLE-WIDE = $$$. Nothing to it, really. ;-)

Unfortunately, this is where the story gets a little bit sad.

Day 2 I knew I was in trouble on the range. My back spasms are just brutal. Hit a few easy wedges and then my first moderate swing with an iron and STAB, right in the low-mid right side. I've dealt with these the last year. Sometimes I can "stretch them away," sometimes I can't. Immediately thought this is a day I may not make it. The pain was intense.

Playing with a "bunty" 1/2 swing, I managed to start par, bogey, birdie, par, par. Even through five holes. The sixth is a 227 downwind par 3 playing about 205. Instead of hitting an easy 3-wood, which was DEFINITELY the play due to my back issues, I elected a 2H. I swung too hard and ... Done. Finished the hole with a four, tried to tee off on the 7th and felt like I'd been stabbed in the spine. Shook everyone's hands and drove in.

You can see my score at the VERY bottom with the "WD" next to it. :-(

https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057632.pdf

I'm doing my stretching. I'm losing weight (down 14 lbs. since I started intermittent fasting a month ago), but nothing is helping right now. I have a percussion massager on the way.

Playing the Sandpiper Invitational this weekend with B.Helts. Really looking forward to it, as I love the tournament and am excited to play with Brian.

David

> @Obee said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > Played my final tournament of the year the last two days. 36 holes of strokeplay with a cut to 36 and ties after round 1. I started well, but with a couple of loose shots I was +2 after 10. Not too bad. Still in it with a strong finish. Then I developed some low point issues (hit it fat for about 5 holes in a row). With one 3-putt to boot I wound up limping in at 78 (+8). Made the cut on the number.

>

> What was the tournament?

>

>

Gene Sarazen Memorial Invitational. Played at Fresh Meadow on LI. Field was strong this year. Lots of very good players. One guy who won all three mid-am tournaments he was eligible for. NYS mid-am, Westchester mid-am and the Met mid-am. Two others who represented the Met area playing against ROI.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Obee said:

> Over the weekend, I played the Ojai Senior Cup at former Champions Tour venue, Ojai Valley Inn on Saturday and then Soule Park, newly renovated by Gil Hanse, on day 2. Solid field of senior (50+ ams). Coming off the win at the LA City Senior, I was feeling great mentally, but horrible physically. Back spasm are still a daily problem, unfortunately. Wife stayed behind for this one, so I took the drive up myself and it was relaxing and beautiful. Will definitely go back next year and bring the wife.

>

> Started with a bogey-free 66, my first ever bogey-free tournament round. I've had maybe 15 or 20 in my life, but never in a tournament. And this was on a course I might as well have never played. I played it 15 years ago and vaguely remembered one hole, the first. LOL

>

> I was paired with the best California Amateur in the last 20 years and one of the best of all time, Tim Hogarth (look him on up amateurgolf.com). I matched him shot for shot until he birdied the 18th to better my opening round score by one. My putting is just in a zone. I feel like I will never 3-putt again (of course I will, but the positivity certainly doesn't hurt!).

>

> The equation is really very simple: LINE ON BALL + CLAW GRIP + CLOSED STANCE + BALL POSITIONED OFF LEFT TOE + MODERATE FORWARD PRESS + ODYSSEY STROKE LAB DOUBLE-WIDE = $$$. Nothing to it, really. ;-)

>

> Unfortunately, this is where the story gets a little bit sad.

>

> Day 2 I knew I was in trouble on the range. My back spasms are just brutal. Hit a few easy wedges and then my first moderate swing with an iron and STAB, right in the low-mid right side. I've dealt with these the last year. Sometimes I can "stretch them away," sometimes I can't. Immediately thought this is a day I may not make it. The pain was intense.

>

> Playing with a "bunty" 1/2 swing, I managed to start par, bogey, birdie, par, par. Even through five holes. The sixth is a 227 downwind par 3 playing about 205. Instead of hitting an easy 3-wood, which was DEFINITELY the play due to my back issues, I elected a 2H. I swung too hard and ... Done. Finished the hole with a four, tried to tee off on the 7th and felt like I'd been stabbed in the spine. Shook everyone's hands and drove in.

>

> You can see my score at the VERY bottom with the "WD" next to it. :-(

>

> https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057632.pdf

>

> I'm doing my stretching. I'm losing weight (down 14 lbs. since I started intermittent fasting a month ago), but nothing is helping right now. I have a percussion massager on the way.

>

> Playing the Sandpiper Invitational this weekend with B.Helts. Really looking forward to it, as I love the tournament and am excited to play with Brian.

>

> David

sorry to hear man. i too have had back spasms and if they are going it's impossible to swing imo. kudos to losing weight and hopefully that will help as it did for me and my back pain!

> @Obee said:

> Over the weekend, I played the Ojai Senior Cup at former Champions Tour venue, Ojai Valley Inn on Saturday and then Soule Park, newly renovated by Gil Hanse, on day 2. Solid field of senior (50+ ams). Coming off the win at the LA City Senior, I was feeling great mentally, but horrible physically. Back spasm are still a daily problem, unfortunately. Wife stayed behind for this one, so I took the drive up myself and it was relaxing and beautiful. Will definitely go back next year and bring the wife.

>

> Started with a bogey-free 66, my first ever bogey-free tournament round. I've had maybe 15 or 20 in my life, but never in a tournament. And this was on a course I might as well have never played. I played it 15 years ago and vaguely remembered one hole, the first. LOL

>

> I was paired with the best California Amateur in the last 20 years and one of the best of all time, Tim Hogarth (look him on up amateurgolf.com). I matched him shot for shot until he birdied the 18th to better my opening round score by one. My putting is just in a zone. I feel like I will never 3-putt again (of course I will, but the positivity certainly doesn't hurt!).

>

> The equation is really very simple: LINE ON BALL + CLAW GRIP + CLOSED STANCE + BALL POSITIONED OFF LEFT TOE + MODERATE FORWARD PRESS + ODYSSEY STROKE LAB DOUBLE-WIDE = $$$. Nothing to it, really. ;-)

>

> Unfortunately, this is where the story gets a little bit sad.

>

> Day 2 I knew I was in trouble on the range. My back spasms are just brutal. Hit a few easy wedges and then my first moderate swing with an iron and STAB, right in the low-mid right side. I've dealt with these the last year. Sometimes I can "stretch them away," sometimes I can't. Immediately thought this is a day I may not make it. The pain was intense.

>

> Playing with a "bunty" 1/2 swing, I managed to start par, bogey, birdie, par, par. Even through five holes. The sixth is a 227 downwind par 3 playing about 205. Instead of hitting an easy 3-wood, which was DEFINITELY the play due to my back issues, I elected a 2H. I swung too hard and ... Done. Finished the hole with a four, tried to tee off on the 7th and felt like I'd been stabbed in the spine. Shook everyone's hands and drove in.

>

> You can see my score at the VERY bottom with the "WD" next to it. :-(

>

> https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057632.pdf

>

> I'm doing my stretching. I'm losing weight (down 14 lbs. since I started intermittent fasting a month ago), but nothing is helping right now. I have a percussion massager on the way.

>

> Playing the Sandpiper Invitational this weekend with B.Helts. Really looking forward to it, as I love the tournament and am excited to play with Brian.

>

> David

Hi David,

Have you worked with a good PT at all? Sounds like it could be a bulged disc which can be managed with targeted exercises.

• Like 1

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @Obee said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > Played my final tournament of the year the last two days. 36 holes of strokeplay with a cut to 36 and ties after round 1. I started well, but with a couple of loose shots I was +2 after 10. Not too bad. Still in it with a strong finish. Then I developed some low point issues (hit it fat for about 5 holes in a row). With one 3-putt to boot I wound up limping in at 78 (+8). Made the cut on the number.

> >

> > What was the tournament?

> >

> >

>

> Gene Sarazen Memorial Invitational. Played at Fresh Meadow on LI. Field was strong this year. Lots of very good players. One guy who won all three mid-am tournaments he was eligible for. NYS mid-am, Westchester mid-am and the Met mid-am. Two others who represented the Met area playing against ROI.

Good job on the 2nd round (not super 'tough' but annoying conditions out there) - I was in the field as well. I made the cut on the number and then shot 82 in the 2nd round. Considering I hadn't picked up a club in a month (life/travel), I was happy with the made cut.

On Day 2 I played with one of the Carey Cup guys; his iron ball-striking is absolutely the difference between him and his peers. You can tell a guy really has the goods when he never misses distance-wise, compresses it consistently and controls his shot shape on a regular basis. It helped magnify the fact that irons have been a weakness in my game for the better part of 2 years, and if I'm going to improve to contend on this level, I will have to dial them in - specifically 135-185 yards.

> @xrt99 said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @Obee said:

> > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > Played my final tournament of the year the last two days. 36 holes of strokeplay with a cut to 36 and ties after round 1. I started well, but with a couple of loose shots I was +2 after 10. Not too bad. Still in it with a strong finish. Then I developed some low point issues (hit it fat for about 5 holes in a row). With one 3-putt to boot I wound up limping in at 78 (+8). Made the cut on the number.

> > >

> > > What was the tournament?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Gene Sarazen Memorial Invitational. Played at Fresh Meadow on LI. Field was strong this year. Lots of very good players. One guy who won all three mid-am tournaments he was eligible for. NYS mid-am, Westchester mid-am and the Met mid-am. Two others who represented the Met area playing against ROI.

>

> Good job on the 2nd round (not super 'tough' but annoying conditions out there) - I was in the field as well. I made the cut on the number and then shot 82 in the 2nd round. Considering I hadn't picked up a club in a month (life/travel), I was happy with the made cut.

>

> On Day 2 I played with one of the Carey Cup guys; his iron ball-striking is absolutely the difference between him and his peers. You can tell a guy really has the goods when he never misses distance-wise, compresses it consistently and controls his shot shape on a regular basis. It helped magnify the fact that irons have been a weakness in my game for the better part of 2 years, and if I'm going to improve to contend on this level, I will have to dial them in - specifically 135-185 yards.

I think you were behind me. Tom LaMorte is who you’re talking about? I was watching him raining the ball down on the hole all the way round. How did he shoot 78 on day one?

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @xrt99 said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > @Obee said:

> > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > Played my final tournament of the year the last two days. 36 holes of strokeplay with a cut to 36 and ties after round 1. I started well, but with a couple of loose shots I was +2 after 10. Not too bad. Still in it with a strong finish. Then I developed some low point issues (hit it fat for about 5 holes in a row). With one 3-putt to boot I wound up limping in at 78 (+8). Made the cut on the number.

> > > >

> > > > What was the tournament?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Gene Sarazen Memorial Invitational. Played at Fresh Meadow on LI. Field was strong this year. Lots of very good players. One guy who won all three mid-am tournaments he was eligible for. NYS mid-am, Westchester mid-am and the Met mid-am. Two others who represented the Met area playing against ROI.

> >

> > Good job on the 2nd round (not super 'tough' but annoying conditions out there) - I was in the field as well. I made the cut on the number and then shot 82 in the 2nd round. Considering I hadn't picked up a club in a month (life/travel), I was happy with the made cut.

> >

> > On Day 2 I played with one of the Carey Cup guys; his iron ball-striking is absolutely the difference between him and his peers. You can tell a guy really has the goods when he never misses distance-wise, compresses it consistently and controls his shot shape on a regular basis. It helped magnify the fact that irons have been a weakness in my game for the better part of 2 years, and if I'm going to improve to contend on this level, I will have to dial them in - specifically 135-185 yards.

>

> I think you were behind me. Tom LaMorte is who you’re talking about? I was watching him raining the ball down on the hole all the way round. How did he shoot 78 on day one?

Yeah - he said he had an 8 and a 9 in round 1 - one of those was a wrong ball penalty (he hit it left on the 6th hole, apparently there are a number of balls over there). Nice kid..he's going to give the pro run a shot, which he absolutely should.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> While not a big time tournament like we usually discuss here, I thought folks might be interested in a little local tournament I am playing in now. It is a partner tournament (net only) where you play 27 holes each of two days. First 9 is scramble, 2nd 9 is alt shot, and you finish with 9 holes of best ball. Net only is very challenging for me with no strokes. Partner is high single digit. Every other team is sporting double digit handicaps. Amazingly we are leading after the first day of play at -10 (net). We shot -3 gross. My partner played great. She made putts from everywhere. My game was pretty scratchy with poor putting and inconsistent driving, but I chipped in for a bird and stuffed a couple of irons for easy birds. We need to keep up the good play tomorrow to finish this off. I love this format. It is loads of fun.

Well we came through and won. Partner did not play as well on the 2nd day, but I did a little better. Horrible alt shot session, but I made 4 birds on the last best ball session to close things out. We finished at 214 gross and 202 net. Shooting -2 gross feels pretty good and beat the pre-tournament goal I had of even par. Tournaments like this are a ton of fun and still challenging for better players to overcome the mountain of pops frequently encountered in net events.

• Like 3

Hey @Obee,

Did you ever consider chipping it while you were on 13 green? Or was there not enough green on the other side of the 20' of fringe you had to go through?

Regardless, well played and a well deserved win up in LA. Hope you can get some treatment for the back this offseason and come back strong next year.

> @Shades234 said:

> Hey @Obee,

>

> Did you ever consider chipping it while you were on 13 green? Or was there not enough green on the other side of the 20' of fringe you had to go through?

>

> Regardless, well played and a well deserved win up in LA. Hope you can get some treatment for the back this offseason and come back strong next year.

>

>

Not really. I do have that shot, but I just don't practice it enough to use it when the chips are down.

I. Am. Drunk.

Ask me ANYTHING about being a "never was"!!!

Go ahead!!!!

Obee and I played in the Sandpiper Invitational this weekend. The nitty gritty: We shot 69 - 72 for 141 which landed us 5th.

Obee's got a bit of a back problem, and when I say a bit of a back problem I mean he probably shouldn't have been playing golf. It was remarkable that he was able to play to the level he did without being able to make a full swing.

Dude has AMAZING hands! Very talented. He hit cuts and draws and just about every fairway. He's a gamer, that's for sure.

We had a great time and he's a super good dude. Which does come across pretty clearly here and likely isn't a surprise to anyone.

I played like a dog. A rabid dog that needs to be put down.

• Like 1

> @"b.helts" said:

> Obee and I played in the Sandpiper Invitational this weekend. The nitty gritty: We shot 69 - 72 for 141 which landed us 5th.

>

> Obee's got a bit of a back problem, and when I say a bit of a back problem I mean he probably shouldn't have been playing golf. It was remarkable that he was able to play to the level he did without being able to make a full swing.

>

> Dude has AMAZING hands! Very talented. He hit cuts and draws and just about every fairway. He's a gamer, that's for sure.

>

> We had a great time and he's a super good dude. Which does come across pretty clearly here and likely isn't a surprise to anyone.

>

> I played like a dog. A rabid dog that needs to be put down.

Had an absolute blast with you, pards. Only thing that would've made it better is if we had been able to win. That's just wasn't in the cards, though, with this swing, LOL:

Brian hit two of the best shots I've ever seen on 13 at Sandpiper. Crushed a drive and then hit a high, soft, 6-iron to a tucked front pin to 5 feet and then drained the putt for an eagle and a $565 skin!

By the way, greens were 14. Soooo fast. So true.

• Like 1

> @Obee said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > Obee and I played in the Sandpiper Invitational this weekend. The nitty gritty: We shot 69 - 72 for 141 which landed us 5th.

> >

> > Obee's got a bit of a back problem, and when I say a bit of a back problem I mean he probably shouldn't have been playing golf. It was remarkable that he was able to play to the level he did without being able to make a full swing.

> >

> > Dude has AMAZING hands! Very talented. He hit cuts and draws and just about every fairway. He's a gamer, that's for sure.

> >

> > We had a great time and he's a super good dude. Which does come across pretty clearly here and likely isn't a surprise to anyone.

> >

> > I played like a dog. A rabid dog that needs to be put down.

>

> Had an absolute blast with you, pards. Only thing that would've made it better is if we had been able to win. That's just wasn't in the cards, though, with this swing, LOL:

>

>

>

> Brian hit two of the best shots I've ever seen on 13 at Sandpiper. Crushed a drive and then hit a high, soft, 6-iron to a tucked front pin to 5 feet and then drained the putt for an eagle and a $565 skin!

>

> By the way, greens were 14. Soooo fast. So true.

>

>

>

Take this as a major compliment from me on your shortgame , mental game and putting/scoring ability ..... you make me truly feel bad about myself. Lol. In a funk currently because of other things eating all my time and Energy and only time to get out for 18 once a week on Saturday morning .... I hit the ball as pure often and far as anyone I know , and just am riding that mental block that keeps my scoring average above par. I’m even putting good and just bang my head playing yo-yo rounds with 2 under fronts and 4 over backs etc.

Anyway. Great going. And again. Mean that as a high compliment. Proves that this game is more about between the ears and inside 125 than Anything.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"b.helts" said:

> Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

>

> So, I signed up for the McClure Cup at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

>

> It’s a 54 hole medal tournament in January.

>

> https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=MCC

That should be fun. Played Bayonet once. It was some kind of tough. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

> >

> > So, I signed up for the McClure Cup at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

> >

> > It’s a 54 hole medal tournament in January.

> >

> > https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=MCC

>

> That should be fun. Played Bayonet once. It was some kind of tough. Good luck and have fun.

Thank you. A couple years ago I played in the NCGA Public Links and the first round was at Bayonet. I was the only player to break par. Ended up losing in a playoff in that tournament.

Bayonet and Blackhorse are hard!

• Like 1

> @"b.helts" said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

> > >

> > > So, I signed up for the McClure Cup at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

> > >

> > > It’s a 54 hole medal tournament in January.

> > >

> > > https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=MCC

> >

> > That should be fun. Played Bayonet once. It was some kind of tough. Good luck and have fun.

>

> Thank you. A couple years ago I played in the NCGA Public Links and the first round was at Bayonet. I was the only player to break par. Ended up losing in a playoff in that tournament.

>

> Bayonet and Blackhorse are hard!

You have good experiences there though. Gives you a leg up on the field. Sometimes hard is better. Eliminates a bunch of the field that don't have sufficient mental fortitude to grind out a score.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

> > > >

> > > > So, I signed up for the McClure Cup at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

> > > >

> > > > It’s a 54 hole medal tournament in January.

> > > >

> > > > https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=MCC

> > >

> > > That should be fun. Played Bayonet once. It was some kind of tough. Good luck and have fun.

> >

> > Thank you. A couple years ago I played in the NCGA Public Links and the first round was at Bayonet. I was the only player to break par. Ended up losing in a playoff in that tournament.

> >

> > Bayonet and Blackhorse are hard!

>

> You have good experiences there though. Gives you a leg up on the field. Sometimes hard is better. Eliminates a bunch of the field that don't have sufficient mental fortitude to grind out a score.

Absolute truth. I’d love it if I could. But a like will do.

I am looking froward to trying to get my game back to where I know it can be.

> @"b.helts" said:

> Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

>

>

>

Saw this tournament when I was looking for events on AmateurGolf.com the other day. Think I may do it in a future year, but my game isn't in the right place to make the trip up there from San Diego right now. Have Coronado City Am tomorrow and Sunday which should be fun though. Please post a recap of your McClure Cup rounds. Interested to hear.

• Like 1

> @Shades234 said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

> >

> > So, I signed up for the McClure Cup at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

> >

> > It’s a 54 hole medal tournament in January.

> >

> > https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=MCC

>

> Saw this tournament when I was looking for events on AmateurGolf.com the other day. Think I may do it in a future year, but my game isn't in the right place to make the trip up there from San Diego right now. Have Coronado City Am tomorrow and Sunday which should be fun though. Please post a recap of your McClure Cup rounds. Interested to hear.

I will let you know how the tournament goes.

Play well tomorrow!

> @"b.helts" said:

>

>

>

Duuuuuuude!!!!

You are my partner for LIFE!!!

> @"b.helts" said:

> > @Shades234 said:

> > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > Playing with Obee got me going. I didn’t play very well but I tried hard and enjoyed every minute.

> > >

> > > So, I signed up for the McClure Cup at Bayonet and Blackhorse.

> > >

> > > It’s a 54 hole medal tournament in January.

> > >

> > > https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=MCC

> >

> > Saw this tournament when I was looking for events on AmateurGolf.com the other day. Think I may do it in a future year, but my game isn't in the right place to make the trip up there from San Diego right now. Have Coronado City Am tomorrow and Sunday which should be fun though. Please post a recap of your McClure Cup rounds. Interested to hear.

>

> I will let you know how the tournament goes.

>

> Play well tomorrow!

>

Thanks! This'll be my last event for the next few months. Looking forward to the offseason. Last year I learned how to hit a less than full wedge. This year my goal is to learn how to hit a 4 iron. LOL

Starting to think about goals to work toward for next year. I started the year about a 4-5ish handicap and made it to +, all of my stats exceeding what I could have expected. My only goal for the year was to get my cap to about a 2 which I did. If someone is already a scratch, and stats are pretty solid, what kind of measurable goals would you guys recommend? I'd obviously like to make more birdies, so maybe just lowering total putt average while maintaining GIR %? Thanks for any thoughts.

This is aside from playing more and better in sanctioned tournament events, which I have never done.

> @Buckets2 said:

> Starting to think about goals to work toward for next year. I started the year about a 4-5ish handicap and made it to +, all of my stats exceeding what I could have expected. My only goal for the year was to get my cap to about a 2 which I did. If someone is already a scratch, and stats are pretty solid, what kind of measurable goals would you guys recommend? I'd obviously like to make more birdies, so maybe just lowering total putt average while maintaining GIR %? Thanks for any thoughts.

>

> This is aside from playing more and better in sanctioned tournament events, which I have never done.

1) Shoot a round in a tournament at or better than your cap

2) Qualify for match play portion of match play tournament

3) Top 25 stroke play tournament

All of these would be worthy achievements. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2