WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

> @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> @Obee, I am turning 31 on Monday September 16 so I am really hoping I can limit my mistakes and make the cut. To have a match on my birthday would be the ultimate gift for me. If I am hitting my driver decent I think I’ll be okay.

Play well. No regrets.

After playing (and winning) my club's Match Play Club Championship last month, I had the Stroke Play Club Championship (36 holes) this past weekend. My game just wasn't there all weekend but managed to bounce back from an opening-round 80 to shoot a more respectable 74 in the second round, including -1 on the back nine.

Given that the Match Play event and now the Stroke Play were the first two competitive events I've played in almost 15 years, I couldn't be happier with how my golfing year has gone thus far. I started the year at roughly a 4.5 handicap and am now trending at 2.2. Aside from my club events next year, I'll also be scouting out some other tournaments to get into.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Club Championship in the books. Another 2nd/3rd finish (I have probably 20 of them, LOL!). Shot 69, 71, 72 to finish 3rd. Winner shot 67, 68, 70. Guy has won it 8 times in a row and 10 of 11.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Club Championship in the books. Another 2nd/3rd finish (I have probably 20 of them, LOL!). Shot 69, 71, 72 to finish 3rd. Winner shot 67, 68, 70. Guy has won it 8 times in a row and 10 of 11.

Good playin, but your many times club champ threw down some tough numbers to overcome.

Our team won our championship Michigan Publinx match yesterday by 2.5 points. The course we played is super tough and there were some ugly scores but we got the job done so that is pretty cool. Several holes at that course are literally either hit the fairway or lose a ball and they are long so you have to hit something longish off the tee. In our group alone between the 4 of us we had 18-20 lost balls in hazards or OB. I lost a sleeve in the first 9 holes but managed to shoot only a couple over on that side. Hoping to get some quality practice sessions in today and tomorrow before I fly out. I’m trying to remind myself that it’s just golf and I have played it before :-)

• Like 1

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> Our team won our championship Michigan Publinx match yesterday by 2.5 points. The course we played is super tough and there were some ugly scores but we got the job done so that is pretty cool. Several holes at that course are literally either hit the fairway or lose a ball and they are long so you have to hit something longish off the tee. In our group alone between the 4 of us we had 18-20 lost balls in hazards or OB. I lost a sleeve in the first 9 holes but managed to shoot only a couple over on that side. Hoping to get some quality practice sessions in today and tomorrow before I fly out. I’m trying to remind myself that it’s just golf and I have played it before :-)

Loads of us here will be pulling for you. When it gets tough just remember to have fun regardless. Cliche I know. But there are literally loads of us who tried to qualify and failed, so enjoy it for what it is , a great honor just to qualify. Steady hands , calm nerves and godspeed !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

No US Mid-Am for me, but I do have the Long Island Mid-Am next week. With family and travel and stuff I haven't played since my last event, which was 8/1. Playing tomorrow in a GW am tour event. Hopefully not too rusty. Some of my best golf this year has been when I hadn't played in a bit and my expectations were low. Hopefully that continues.

The LI Mid-Am is being held at Noyac out east. Course is long and narrow. Perfect combination for me. I played the Met Open qualifier there last year and played pretty well shooting 76. I suspect the cut (top 40 and ties) will fall around 80 or so depending on how long they have the course set up. We shall see.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> No US Mid-Am for me, but I do have the Long Island Mid-Am next week. With family and travel and stuff I haven't played since my last event, which was 8/1. Playing tomorrow in a GW am tour event. Hopefully not too rusty. Some of my best golf this year has been when I hadn't played in a bit and my expectations were low. Hopefully that continues.

>

> The LI Mid-Am is being held at Noyac out east. Course is long and narrow. Perfect combination for me. I played the Met Open qualifier there last year and played pretty well shooting 76. I suspect the cut (top 40 and ties) will fall around 80 or so depending on how long they have the course set up. We shall see.

wish you luck TW --- play well!!

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Club CC qualifying today, start off real hot and am -3 for a while. Get to the first par 5 on the back and in my backswing someone a hole over but still pretty close starts yelling...I snap hook into the shit. Have to drop but end up saving par. Great right? Except now I'm mentally on tilt...despite a great save.

Next hole is par 3 with very tough green, I leave it on the wrong side. 1st putt is about as good as I could do without going in, 2nd does a 270* and lips out. I'm now on full tilt. Downhill hard from there.

Any tips for righting the mental ship when you find yourself out of the groove/flow and in a bad spot like I was?

Rough week as we played a quota game this week and I didn’t even come close to meeting my quota as I shot 81 (+9). But, I made money in the end as I had 3 skins. The inconsistency of my swing is just maddening. For instance, I hit balls on Saturday since I had not hit balls in almost a week. Never miss 1 driver right on the range on Saturday. Then before we tee off on Sunday I was hitting the driver great on the range and only missed one drive right on the range. Despite that, first hole…block push right that goes OB. I take a double on the first hole and get it to +2 after 10 and then it’s blow-up time before I birdie 16 (I almost put on in 2 shots into the window) and 17…before I hit a perfect tee shot on 18 and inexplicably shank an #$!% 9-iron into the water and make another double.

We were playing on freshly aerified greens. I started pulling some putts again, but the stroke was pretty darn good on the back nine.

I blame some of this on just an inconsistent amount of practice and play for working on some things on my swing. I need to get a round at somewhere else besides Orange Tree to get some confidence going as I head into playing the FSGA Mid-Am.

I do feel like I’m on the cusp of playing some really good golf, soon. After the round on Sunday I went to the range and found that I was getting lazy with my shoulder turn. Once I started working on that, with the other stuff I’ve been working on…I started to pure it.

For now, the big thing I’m working on with my swing is my tilts in the downswing so I can control the low point. I think if I can do that, it will greatly help with my inconsistency and I’m guessing the other big part of my issues (clubface control) will improve as well.

I also started to think about what I should work on a week or two before the Mid-Am:

Flop Shots

Chipping and pitching with all 3 wedges

Get my carry distances on ½ and ¾ shots with all 3 wedges

Knockdown shots with 5-iron to PW

Punch shots under trees

Right to Left and Left to right breaking putts

Just anything that can come up that I don’t get a lot of and so I won’t have to play in a tournament and do it cold.

Other than that, I think I need to stop ‘massing’ my practice and start ‘interleaving’ my range practice some more and I’ll try to focus on that this week.

RH

• Like 1

Today could only be described as dreadful. My round on Saturday (first one in 6 weeks) was at a course that had just aerated their greens and, if I'm being generous, they were maybe running a 7. Occasionally a downhill putt that only bounced half the time played like they were an 8, but that's about it. That turned out to be awful preparation. The greens today were more like 11 or 12 and I just couldn't get the pace. I had two putts today from inside of 2 feet. Everything else I just couldn't get dead to the hole. Everything ran by 3 feet or stopped 3 feet short. Or wandered offline by 3-4 feet. Just so bad. First hole I split the fairway, hit a sand wedge to 4 feet and had to hole a 3 footer for a par. Including putts from the fringe, I had 38 putts today. I hit one bad drive, snap hooked it into a lake. Combined that with a poor chip and a 3 putt and that was a triple. Otherwise for the most part I hit it roughly where I was aiming it. I hit 7 fairways and 10 greens. I got every bad break going it felt like. If there was a single bit of tree poking out I clipped it and it went in the worst spot it could have done. One of those days. All of which added up to 85.

The most annoying thing about my putting today was that I was hitting them end over end. Virtually every one that I noticed, the line was going dead straight. I hit pretty much every putt where I was aiming it. I just aimed all of them in the wrong place. Will be at work tomorrow I think.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Today could only be described as dreadful. My round on Saturday (first one in 6 weeks) was at a course that had just aerated their greens and, if I'm being generous, they were maybe running a 7. Occasionally a downhill putt that only bounced half the time played like they were an 8, but that's about it. That turned out to be awful preparation. The greens today were more like 11 or 12 and I just couldn't get the pace. I had two putts today from inside of 2 feet. Everything else I just couldn't get dead to the hole. Everything ran by 3 feet or stopped 3 feet short. Or wandered offline by 3-4 feet. Just so bad. First hole I split the fairway, hit a sand wedge to 4 feet and had to hole a 3 footer for a par. Including putts from the fringe, I had 38 putts today. I hit one bad drive, snap hooked it into a lake. Combined that with a poor chip and a 3 putt and that was a triple. Otherwise for the most part I hit it roughly where I was aiming it. I hit 7 fairways and 10 greens. I got every bad break going it felt like. If there was a single bit of tree poking out I clipped it and it went in the worst spot it could have done. One of those days. All of which added up to 85.

>

> The most annoying thing about my putting today was that I was hitting them end over end. Virtually every one that I noticed, the line was going dead straight. I hit pretty much every putt where I was aiming it. I just aimed all of them in the wrong place. Will be at work tomorrow I think.

I’m having sympathy pains for you .... I know the exact feeling and it isn’t a good one.

Just flush it and move forward. Only option really.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Turns out i was playing on a partially torn tendon in my foot along with a hairline fracture in my arch. Not an excuse but it mentally affected me trying to figure out how much torque I could put on that foot (back foot, lefty) .. now I have a cast for the next 8 days.. in round 2 at the Mid-Am I missed a handful of less than 5 foot putts to miss by 3 shots.. I did play with Lukas Michel in both stroke play rounds so it’s awesome that he is in the finals now. That is a Vokey TVD that I’m using as a cane BTW haha

4ll996c2ajpy.jpeg

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> Turns out i was playing on a partially torn tendon in my foot along with a hairline fracture in my arch. Not an excuse but it mentally affected me trying to figure out how much torque I could put on that foot (back foot, lefty) .. now I have a cast for the next 8 days.. in round 2 at the Mid-Am I missed a handful of less than 5 foot putts to miss by 3 shots.. I did play with Lukas Michel in both stroke play rounds so it’s awesome that he is in the finals now. That is a Vokey TVD that I’m using as a cane BTW haha

>

> 4ll996c2ajpy.jpeg

>

I liked your post, but man - I'm sorry dood. Hope for your sake the foot gets better quick. You had (pardon the pun) quite a good run- rest up.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Hit it better and farther. Shocking right? Start hitting a couple par 5’s in 2, getting up and down on the other par 5’s from next to the green and you have 4 excellent birdie looks in most courses. Add in a drivable par 4 gives you 5 looks. Covert most of these and make a birdie here or there on a par 4 or 3 and you have 7 legitimate chances a round. Sounds easy....

> @Buckets2 said:

> Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

> @ryan983 said:

> Hit it better and farther. Shocking right? Start hitting a couple par 5’s in 2, getting up and down on the other par 5’s from next to the green and you have 4 excellent birdie looks in most courses. Add in a drivable par 4 gives you 5 looks. Covert most of these and make a birdie here or there on a par 4 or 3 and you have 7 legitimate chances a round. Sounds easy....

>

>

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

>

>

I hit it plenty far sadly, and I feel like I do already get 7+ chances a round, just don't drop. It's obviously putting, and putting the ball in the right spot relative to the hole, but I'm talking about mental breakthroughs here...not just hitting it tighter.

> @Buckets2 said:

> Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

Well. For me it was driver maximizing I mastered last winter. Which led to many par 5s hit in 2. That adds at least 1 a round. But more often than not 2 a round. But you’ll also get the odd eagle make too.

Then set a goal of 2 under par a round for par 3s. Meaning figure out how to play those more aggressively , some holes you can’t but many you can if you can move the ball both ways. Most courses have 2-3 short par 3s. Take the odd long par 3 and be sure to hit the green. That can easily net an average of 1 extra birdie a round or at least 1 picked up shot if you just play them even par.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

>

> Well. For me it was driver maximizing I mastered last winter. Which led to many par 5s hit in 2. That adds at least 1 a round. But more often than not 2 a round. But you’ll also get the odd eagle make too.

> Then set a goal of 2 under par a round for par 3s. Meaning figure out how to play those more aggressively , some holes you can’t but many you can if you can move the ball both ways. Most courses have 2-3 short par 3s. Take the odd long par 3 and be sure to hit the green. That can easily net an average of 1 extra birdie a round or at least 1 picked up shot if you just play them even par.

>

>

Sadly my home course isn't set up well for on-in-2 par 5s, either because the tee-shot landing area is in a dog leg, or because the green area has too much danger, or both. We have 2 short'ish par 3, one being about 180 middle, the other about 170. Both of these though are danger holes depending on where the pin is, but can also be good birdie looks depending where the pin is. The other two are 225+ and 190'ish on a very difficult green to hit. Honestly for the two tough par 3 I would take 1 over between them 9/10 days times haha

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @ryan983 said:

> > Hit it better and farther. Shocking right? Start hitting a couple par 5’s in 2, getting up and down on the other par 5’s from next to the green and you have 4 excellent birdie looks in most courses. Add in a drivable par 4 gives you 5 looks. Covert most of these and make a birdie here or there on a par 4 or 3 and you have 7 legitimate chances a round. Sounds easy....

> >

> >

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

> >

> >

>

> I hit it plenty far sadly, and I feel like I do already get 7+ chances a round, just don't drop. It's obviously putting, and putting the ball in the right spot relative to the hole, but I'm talking about mental breakthroughs here...not just hitting it tighter.

I don’t know your putting. But I know bad putting. If it’s truly a case of really good looks and nothing drops .... I’d examine all methods I’m using. Stroke , green reading , pre shot routine etc.

You have to be willing to do anything sometimes to figure it out. Just use process of elimination to figure out the issue. For me it was a combo of > @Buckets2 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

> >

> > Well. For me it was driver maximizing I mastered last winter. Which led to many par 5s hit in 2. That adds at least 1 a round. But more often than not 2 a round. But you’ll also get the odd eagle make too.

> > Then set a goal of 2 under par a round for par 3s. Meaning figure out how to play those more aggressively , some holes you can’t but many you can if you can move the ball both ways. Most courses have 2-3 short par 3s. Take the odd long par 3 and be sure to hit the green. That can easily net an average of 1 extra birdie a round or at least 1 picked up shot if you just play them even par.

> >

> >

> Sadly my home course isn't set up well for on-in-2 par 5s, either because the tee-shot landing area is in a dog leg, or because the green area has too much danger, or both. We have 2 short'ish par 3, one being about 180 middle, the other about 170. Both of these though are danger holes depending on where the pin is, but can also be good birdie looks depending where the pin is. The other two are 225+ and 190'ish on a very difficult green to hit. Honestly for the two tough par 3 I would take 1 over between them 9/10 days times haha

>

Yep. I hear that. My home course has a mix of that. 3 Getable par 3s and one forced carry over water with OB right off the green that can play 205-225 from the back. Two tiered green and if the wind is blowing , it’s a beast of a hole . Plus 18 is a forced 3 shot par 5. Huge double sharp dogleg. I’d take a guaranteed even par or plus 1 on those two holes the rest of my life and be good with it.

If it’s putter , my advice from my recent experience is to use process of elimination to figure out the missing pieces. There is a reason why you aren’t making putts. It maybe partially mental as in lack of confidence, but you likely won’t fix it with self help positive self talk. I was a terrible putter and I told myself that. It drove me to keep trying. That’s how I’m wired. And now that I’ve found my way , I’m the best putter I know. Period. I’ve made several of my regulars actually angry. Because every putt looks like it’s going down. But I couldn’t say that before it happened. Point being. Find the mechanical issue. Don’t try to lie your way out of it.

For me first it was a trackman putter fitting. Told me my aim tendency ( 5-7degrees left from 20 ft) Then it was that my left eye dominance was the cause of my lack of sight over the ball. I then tried center shaft. Which helped. But still no results. Desperate at this point I decided that I was going to be open minded to ANY solution. Even if it meant putting left handed ( as that would put my dominant eye behind the ball ). Longer story shorter , I lucked into an armlock setup that was made for a tall guy. And it was like a lightbulb turned on. This putter forces a forward press of course. But it also demanded a front favoring ball position. Once I got into the proper setup with it I suddenly could see. It puts my eyes over the balls start line. But well behind the putter head.( 2-3 inches ) and now I can see what everyone else can see at address. Think Nicklaus or Matt kuchar. Both left eye dominant and a similar low crouch to get eyes behind the ball.

That was around a month ago. I’ve made more putts in that time than the rest of the year combined. I’ve yet to have a round over 31 putts with most in the 20s. I was averaging 34 a round before that. Needless to say. It’s on like donkey Kong next year.

Didn’t type all that to talk about me believe it or not. But to give a example of how you can be a decent putter and be that far off at the same time.

I think setup for sight and comfort means the most in a putting method . If you are comfortable and you can see. You’ll gain confidence. Next thing to tackle for me is to be a master green reader. But I couldn’t do that before without being able to hit or see a start line. I hope that all makes sense.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > > @ryan983 said:

> > > Hit it better and farther. Shocking right? Start hitting a couple par 5’s in 2, getting up and down on the other par 5’s from next to the green and you have 4 excellent birdie looks in most courses. Add in a drivable par 4 gives you 5 looks. Covert most of these and make a birdie here or there on a par 4 or 3 and you have 7 legitimate chances a round. Sounds easy....

> > >

> > >

> > > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > > Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I hit it plenty far sadly, and I feel like I do already get 7+ chances a round, just don't drop. It's obviously putting, and putting the ball in the right spot relative to the hole, but I'm talking about mental breakthroughs here...not just hitting it tighter.

>

> I don’t know your putting. But I know bad putting. If it’s truly a case of really good looks and nothing drops .... I’d examine all methods I’m using. Stroke , green reading , pre shot routine etc.

>

> You have to be willing to do anything sometimes to figure it out. Just use process of elimination to figure out the issue. For me it was a combo of > @Buckets2 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > > Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

> > >

> > > Well. For me it was driver maximizing I mastered last winter. Which led to many par 5s hit in 2. That adds at least 1 a round. But more often than not 2 a round. But you’ll also get the odd eagle make too.

> > > Then set a goal of 2 under par a round for par 3s. Meaning figure out how to play those more aggressively , some holes you can’t but many you can if you can move the ball both ways. Most courses have 2-3 short par 3s. Take the odd long par 3 and be sure to hit the green. That can easily net an average of 1 extra birdie a round or at least 1 picked up shot if you just play them even par.

> > >

> > >

> > Sadly my home course isn't set up well for on-in-2 par 5s, either because the tee-shot landing area is in a dog leg, or because the green area has too much danger, or both. We have 2 short'ish par 3, one being about 180 middle, the other about 170. Both of these though are danger holes depending on where the pin is, but can also be good birdie looks depending where the pin is. The other two are 225+ and 190'ish on a very difficult green to hit. Honestly for the two tough par 3 I would take 1 over between them 9/10 days times haha

> >

>

> Yep. I hear that. My home course has a mix of that. 3 Getable par 3s and one forced carry over water with OB right off the green that can play 205-225 from the back. Two tiered green and if the wind is blowing , it’s a beast of a hole . Plus 18 is a forced 3 shot par 5. Huge double sharp dogleg. I’d take a guaranteed even par or plus 1 on those two holes the rest of my life and be good with it.

>

>

> If it’s putter , my advice from my recent experience is to use process of elimination to figure out the missing pieces. There is a reason why you aren’t making putts. It maybe partially mental as in lack of confidence, but you likely won’t fix it with self help positive self talk. I was a terrible putter and I told myself that. It drove me to keep trying. That’s how I’m wired. And now that I’ve found my way , I’m the best putter I know. Period. I’ve made several of my regulars actually angry. Because every putt looks like it’s going down. But I couldn’t say that before it happened. Point being. Find the mechanical issue. Don’t try to lie your way out of it.

>

> For me first it was a trackman putter fitting. Told me my aim tendency ( 5-7degrees left from 20 ft) Then it was that my left eye dominance was the cause of my lack of sight over the ball. I then tried center shaft. Which helped. But still no results. Desperate at this point I decided that I was going to be open minded to ANY solution. Even if it meant putting left handed ( as that would put my dominant eye behind the ball ). Longer story shorter , I lucked into an armlock setup that was made for a tall guy. And it was like a lightbulb turned on. This putter forces a forward press of course. But it also demanded a front favoring ball position. Once I got into the proper setup with it I suddenly could see. It puts my eyes over the balls start line. But well behind the putter head.( 2-3 inches ) and now I can see what everyone else can see at address. Think Nicklaus or Matt kuchar. Both left eye dominant and a similar low crouch to get eyes behind the ball.

>

> That was around a month ago. I’ve made more putts in that time than the rest of the year combined. I’ve yet to have a round over 31 putts with most in the 20s. I was averaging 34 a round before that. Needless to say. It’s on like donkey Kong next year.

>

> Didn’t type all that to talk about me believe it or not. But to give a example of how you can be a decent putter and be that far off at the same time.

>

> I think setup for sight and comfort means the most in a putting method . If you are comfortable and you can see. You’ll gain confidence. Next thing to tackle for me is to be a master green reader. But I couldn’t do that before without being able to hit or see a start line. I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks the taking the time and the input. I've been wanting to take a putting lesson, probably online from the Potters guy. I feel like I do scare the cup a lot and make a lot of good putts, just don't drop I guess. By scaring, I mean missing by less than 3 inches and rolling a foot past. It's definitely a process and I need to be grateful for the progress I've already made this year (was a 5 hdcp last year), especially with putting. I just want more! haha

A lesson/mechanics review and working on a PSR are probably good starts. I don't really use a PSR at all, I'm very much a feel putter. If my subconscious tells me a putt is tough with tricky speed etc, I'll take some practice strokes until it 'feels' right, if my subconscious tells me it's pretty straight forward I usually just step up and whack it - both seem to work out and i put alot of good putts out there (aside from not dropping a lot), but consistency with a PSR can only make things better I suppose.

@BottleCap

To explain that a bit further. I have extensive video of my putting stroke before. Trying to identify the flaw in the slaw. Several experts later and you can’t find a smoking gun. It all looked great. Great setup , lines , and tempo. Text book grip , and I rolled the ball pretty well. In practice of multiple putts on same line , I could make a lot. But that was after I setup reference points for aim and line , which of course you don’t get on course during a round.

So I started on practicing putts with 1 shot to make. And I rarely made a putt. Like never. So I started paying attention to the misses on a “ blind putt” as I called them. And it was a combo of two things. Left and right. The tendency was a left miss which was caused by a mid stroke “hit” reflex. I’d release the head hard and pull it. To counteract this , eventually ( 30 min into they practice session ) , subconsciously I’d aim farther left and hold off any release at all in an attempt to push it online. This caused a lot of low misses. I finally decided that this was all due to the lack of sight I had over a putt. My brain did not trust my alignment, why ? It couldn’t verify any. Info. So it tried to recalculate , mid strike. Which is what I was doing every round alll round. To verify this. I then went back to a putt I knew the exact line on. Setup and made 15 straight. From 10 ft. Then over to random 10 footers I hadn’t tried and made 0 in 20 attempts. Missing from all angles.

I’ve performed this back and forth with current method and the split is almost dead even for make percentage. I make almost as many from a 1 shot first time putt as I do for a putt that I have the read for and can try many times in a row. In my opinion , it’s all because I can see the line from address.

Said all that to drive home the point in case your issue is similar. If you cannot see the line from address .... find an address position where you can. I don’t think any good putter can be blind over the ball. Trusting the line on the ball is not enough in my opinion.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> @BottleCap

>

> To explain that a bit further. I have extensive video of my putting stroke before. Trying to identify the flaw in the slaw. Several experts later and you can’t find a smoking gun. It all looked great. Great setup , lines , and tempo. Text book grip , and I rolled the ball pretty well. In practice of multiple putts on same line , I could make a lot. But that was after I setup reference points for aim and line , which of course you don’t get on course during a round.

>

> So I started on practicing putts with 1 shot to make. And I rarely made a putt. Like never. So I started paying attention to the misses on a “ blind putt” as I called them. And it was a combo of two things. Left and right. The tendency was a left miss which was caused by a mid stroke “hit” reflex. I’d release the head hard and pull it. To counteract this , eventually ( 30 min into they practice session ) , subconsciously I’d aim farther left and hold off any release at all in an attempt to push it online. This caused a lot of low misses. I finally decided that this was all due to the lack of sight I had over a putt. My brain did not trust my alignment, why ? It couldn’t verify any. Info. So it tried to recalculate , mid strike. Which is what I was doing every round alll round. To verify this. I then went back to a putt I knew the exact line on. Setup and made 15 straight. From 10 ft. Then over to random 10 footers I hadn’t tried and made 0 in 20 attempts. Missing from all angles.

>

> I’ve performed this back and forth with current method and the split is almost dead even for make percentage. I make almost as many from a 1 shot first time putt as I do for a putt that I have the read for and can try many times in a row. In my opinion , it’s all because I can see the line from address.

>

> Said all that to drive home the point in case your issue is similar. If you cannot see the line from address .... find an address position where you can. I don’t think any good putter can be blind over the ball. Trusting the line on the ball is not enough in my opinion.

great stuff here

Thanks ^. I’m glad it made a little sense. I tend to be long winded and know it. But cannot seem to get my thoughts out in short hand.

I get the frustration and have a genuine empathy for anyone who’s in the middle of it. I describe it as being a good bike rider. But your stuck on a stationary bike. Peddling your butt off. You exhibit all the traits of a strong rider. But you’re not getting anywhere. It’s maddening after a while.

Last thought. To the previous point. I don’t mean to harp on sight and alignment necessarily. Just that those were my keys. You may see the line fine . But I guarantee you have some sort of tendency with a miss. Even if it’s small. And it’s caused by some mechanical issue in setup , or process. I’m a feel player too. ... but I’ve found that a strong but simple mechanical foundations platform is what good feels are best used from. Get into it and own every part of it and it becomes easy to self diagnose and correct. ( I’ll shut up now. Lol ?).

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Today we played a quota game. I shot 75 (+3) and just made my quota. Not bad for a windy day on aerified greens. I've been working mostly on low point control and it's been greatly improved lately. Now the other thing I'm trying to get rid of is the slight pull with a draw although I'm still going to work on the low point control issues. I think if I can greatly limit the amount of times I hit that stupid shot, that will take me over those stumbling blocks and lead to a lot better scores. The good thing is that Orange Tree severely penalizes golfers for that shot, so I can learn to get rid of it thru negative reinforcement. The bad thing is that Orange Tree severely penalizes golfers for that shot, so I'll have to deal with double and triple bogeys in the meantime.

The driving was pretty good. The approach shots need work, but the ball was struck well. I did struggle with the driving iron and I'm just about to give up on the damn thing. My putting stroke felt great, too bad the greens were just punched. I need to improve my concentration and not get too caught up in technique. The good news was that afterward on the range I think I found a major issue in that my stance gets too wide and the I can't keep the left hip low in transition. But, I can't let that stuff affect the shot at hand.

RH

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @ryan983 said:

> > Hit it better and farther. Shocking right? Start hitting a couple par 5’s in 2, getting up and down on the other par 5’s from next to the green and you have 4 excellent birdie looks in most courses. Add in a drivable par 4 gives you 5 looks. Covert most of these and make a birdie here or there on a par 4 or 3 and you have 7 legitimate chances a round. Sounds easy....

> >

> >

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> >

> >

>

> I hit it plenty far sadly, and I feel like I do already get 7+ chances a round, just don't drop. It's obviously putting, and putting the ball in the right spot relative to the hole, but I'm talking about mental breakthroughs here...not just hitting it tighter.

How far away would you consider a good birdie look to be? 5'? 8'? 12'? 20'?

> @Shades234 said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > > @ryan983 said:

> > > Hit it better and farther. Shocking right? Start hitting a couple par 5’s in 2, getting up and down on the other par 5’s from next to the green and you have 4 excellent birdie looks in most courses. Add in a drivable par 4 gives you 5 looks. Covert most of these and make a birdie here or there on a par 4 or 3 and you have 7 legitimate chances a round. Sounds easy....

> > >

> > >

> > > > @Buckets2 said:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I hit it plenty far sadly, and I feel like I do already get 7+ chances a round, just don't drop. It's obviously putting, and putting the ball in the right spot relative to the hole, but I'm talking about mental breakthroughs here...not just hitting it tighter.

>

> How far away would you consider a good birdie look to be? 5'? 8'? 12'? 20'?

8 feet or less and my expectations are high, though I'd probably say 15 or so feet is what I'd consider a good look, even if make rate is around 25%