WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

Ouch. 37 putts. Those days just feel HORRIBLE. Did you putt poorly from the start? Miss a couple 3 - 4 footers early and get out of your rhythm? I find that's about the only time I putt poorly for an entire round.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

>

> Ouch. 37 putts. Those days just feel HORRIBLE. Did you putt poorly from the start? Miss a couple 3 - 4 footers early and get out of your rhythm? I find that's about the only time I putt poorly for an entire round.

8 feet, 2 putts

30 feet, 1 putt

45 feet, 2 putts

45 feet, 2 putts

12 feet, 2 putts

60 feet, 3 putts (3.5 foot second putt)

25 feet, 2 putts

5 feet, 2 putts

6 feet, 2 putts

16 feet, 2 putts

35 feet, 2 putts

35 feet, 2 putts

30 feet, 2 putts

20 feet, 3 putts (uphill and I hit it 5 feet by and missed that one)

30 feet, 2 putts

20 feet, 2 putts

12 feet, 2 putts

8 feet, 2 putts

I actually hit quite a lot of good ones. I shaved a lot of edges. I had a couple that were turning in nicely towards the hole and then broke the other way at the last 2-3 feet.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @Obee said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

> >

> > Ouch. 37 putts. Those days just feel HORRIBLE. Did you putt poorly from the start? Miss a couple 3 - 4 footers early and get out of your rhythm? I find that's about the only time I putt poorly for an entire round.

>

> 8 feet, 2 putts

> 30 feet, 1 putt

> 45 feet, 2 putts

> 45 feet, 2 putts

> 12 feet, 2 putts

> 60 feet, 3 putts (3.5 foot second putt)

> 25 feet, 2 putts

> 5 feet, 2 putts

> 6 feet, 2 putts

> 16 feet, 2 putts

> 35 feet, 2 putts

> 35 feet, 2 putts

> 30 feet, 2 putts

> 20 feet, 3 putts (uphill and I hit it 5 feet by and missed that one)

> 30 feet, 2 putts

> 20 feet, 2 putts

> 12 feet, 2 putts

> 8 feet, 2 putts

>

> I actually hit quite a lot of good ones. I shaved a lot of edges. I had a couple that were turning in nicely towards the hole and then broke the other way at the last 2-3 feet.

How many greens did you hit? If you hit 12 - 14 greens, those days just happen, obviously. Did the short game let you down? Notice you didn't have any tap-ins for par.

> @Obee said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @Obee said:

> > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

> > >

> > > Ouch. 37 putts. Those days just feel HORRIBLE. Did you putt poorly from the start? Miss a couple 3 - 4 footers early and get out of your rhythm? I find that's about the only time I putt poorly for an entire round.

> >

> > 8 feet, 2 putts

> > 30 feet, 1 putt

> > 45 feet, 2 putts

> > 45 feet, 2 putts

> > 12 feet, 2 putts

> > 60 feet, 3 putts (3.5 foot second putt)

> > 25 feet, 2 putts

> > 5 feet, 2 putts

> > 6 feet, 2 putts

> > 16 feet, 2 putts

> > 35 feet, 2 putts

> > 35 feet, 2 putts

> > 30 feet, 2 putts

> > 20 feet, 3 putts (uphill and I hit it 5 feet by and missed that one)

> > 30 feet, 2 putts

> > 20 feet, 2 putts

> > 12 feet, 2 putts

> > 8 feet, 2 putts

> >

> > I actually hit quite a lot of good ones. I shaved a lot of edges. I had a couple that were turning in nicely towards the hole and then broke the other way at the last 2-3 feet.

>

> How many greens did you hit? If you hit 12 - 14 greens, those days just happen, obviously. Did the short game let you down? Notice you didn't have any tap-ins for par.

I hit 13 greens. I had quite a few tap-ins, just always on 2nd putts. The greens I missed I missed in some bad spots. 1 was a 25 yard bunker shot to 8 feet. 8 I stuck it up on the hill and failed to reach the green with my 2nd (par 3), chipped on to about 5 feet and missed. 9 I hit a perfect drive and had 115 in and hit the ground about 3 inches behind the ball. Plugged in the front bunker, hit it over the green, short-sided and chipped to 6 feet and missed. 15 I hit my tee shot left in the longer stuff, got it up by the green about 25 feet from the hole chipping down the hill and bladed it :# 18 I hit it in the right bunker off the tee and got my approach a little heavy and then hit a 40 yard pitch to 8 feet. The only bad short game shot I hit was the chip on 15. Other than that I hit them how I meant to. I don't play enough to lay them all dead and I didn't get many goes at them.

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @Obee said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > @Obee said:

> > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

> > > >

> > > > Ouch. 37 putts. Those days just feel HORRIBLE. Did you putt poorly from the start? Miss a couple 3 - 4 footers early and get out of your rhythm? I find that's about the only time I putt poorly for an entire round.

> > >

> > > 8 feet, 2 putts

> > > 30 feet, 1 putt

> > > 45 feet, 2 putts

> > > 45 feet, 2 putts

> > > 12 feet, 2 putts

> > > 60 feet, 3 putts (3.5 foot second putt)

> > > 25 feet, 2 putts

> > > 5 feet, 2 putts

> > > 6 feet, 2 putts

> > > 16 feet, 2 putts

> > > 35 feet, 2 putts

> > > 35 feet, 2 putts

> > > 30 feet, 2 putts

> > > 20 feet, 3 putts (uphill and I hit it 5 feet by and missed that one)

> > > 30 feet, 2 putts

> > > 20 feet, 2 putts

> > > 12 feet, 2 putts

> > > 8 feet, 2 putts

> > >

> > > I actually hit quite a lot of good ones. I shaved a lot of edges. I had a couple that were turning in nicely towards the hole and then broke the other way at the last 2-3 feet.

> >

> > How many greens did you hit? If you hit 12 - 14 greens, those days just happen, obviously. Did the short game let you down? Notice you didn't have any tap-ins for par.

>

> I hit 13 greens. I had quite a few tap-ins, just always on 2nd putts. The greens I missed I missed in some bad spots. 1 was a 25 yard bunker shot to 8 feet. 8 I stuck it up on the hill and failed to reach the green with my 2nd (par 3), chipped on to about 5 feet and missed. 9 I hit a perfect drive and had 115 in and hit the ground about 3 inches behind the ball. Plugged in the front bunker, hit it over the green, short-sided and chipped to 6 feet and missed. 15 I hit my tee shot left in the longer stuff, got it up by the green about 25 feet from the hole chipping down the hill and bladed it :# 18 I hit it in the right bunker off the tee and got my approach a little heavy and then hit a 40 yard pitch to 8 feet. The only bad short game shot I hit was the chip on 15. Other than that I hit them how I meant to. I don't play enough to lay them all dead and I didn't get many goes at them.

Yeah, I should have written "tap-in one-putts."

Missing in bad spots is, of course, always a killer for total putts.

What's next for you?

i'll post my state open recap here in a bit...i wanted to let the feelings die down a bit before i posted...lol

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Good feelings, hopefully....

> @gioguy21 said:

> i'll post my state open recap here in a bit...i wanted to let the feelings die down a bit before i posted...lol

>

> @Obee said:

> Good feelings, hopefully....

>

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > i'll post my state open recap here in a bit...i wanted to let the feelings die down a bit before i posted...lol

> >

>

>

i didn't do as well as i anticipated -- but, there WERE positives to come out of it.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Obee said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @Obee said:

> > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > @Obee said:

> > > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > Round one of the Hebron at Bethpage Black today. I hit it really well. 10 fairways, 13 greens, but I holed only one putt outside of about 3 feet. I had 37 putts total. 79. Now I get to spend all day wondering if I will be playing tomorrow.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ouch. 37 putts. Those days just feel HORRIBLE. Did you putt poorly from the start? Miss a couple 3 - 4 footers early and get out of your rhythm? I find that's about the only time I putt poorly for an entire round.

> > > >

> > > > 8 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 30 feet, 1 putt

> > > > 45 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 45 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 12 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 60 feet, 3 putts (3.5 foot second putt)

> > > > 25 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 5 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 6 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 16 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 35 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 35 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 30 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 20 feet, 3 putts (uphill and I hit it 5 feet by and missed that one)

> > > > 30 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 20 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 12 feet, 2 putts

> > > > 8 feet, 2 putts

> > > >

> > > > I actually hit quite a lot of good ones. I shaved a lot of edges. I had a couple that were turning in nicely towards the hole and then broke the other way at the last 2-3 feet.

> > >

> > > How many greens did you hit? If you hit 12 - 14 greens, those days just happen, obviously. Did the short game let you down? Notice you didn't have any tap-ins for par.

> >

> > I hit 13 greens. I had quite a few tap-ins, just always on 2nd putts. The greens I missed I missed in some bad spots. 1 was a 25 yard bunker shot to 8 feet. 8 I stuck it up on the hill and failed to reach the green with my 2nd (par 3), chipped on to about 5 feet and missed. 9 I hit a perfect drive and had 115 in and hit the ground about 3 inches behind the ball. Plugged in the front bunker, hit it over the green, short-sided and chipped to 6 feet and missed. 15 I hit my tee shot left in the longer stuff, got it up by the green about 25 feet from the hole chipping down the hill and bladed it :# 18 I hit it in the right bunker off the tee and got my approach a little heavy and then hit a 40 yard pitch to 8 feet. The only bad short game shot I hit was the chip on 15. Other than that I hit them how I meant to. I don't play enough to lay them all dead and I didn't get many goes at them.

>

> Yeah, I should have written "tap-in one-putts."

>

> Missing in bad spots is, of course, always a killer for total putts.

>

> What's next for you?

>

>

Hopefully round two of this thing, but if not, then I have the Met Open qualifier on Wednesday and the Met Amateur on Thursday.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > Played my Met Am qualifier today. Short story - shot even, 71. Currently T6 with half the field in. 9 and ties make it. Not looking too promising. I thought +1 would be good.

> >

> > Long story - I was playing the course blind. Spent a bit of time watching the hole flyovers on their website (Inwood CC) and on google maps looking at lines and club selections etc. Hole by hole:

>

> > If anyone is still reading you have more patience than most. Aside from a handful of poorly struck iron shots and a couple of skewy drives, I was very pleased with how I hit it. I hit 10 greens, but a further 7 I was on the fringe(ish). Only one hole I was hitting other than putter for my GIR+1 shot and that was a very hard par 4 I was basically playing as a 5 anyway. 27 putts from on the green, but I used my putter 34 times. My long putting was fantastic. My short putting was decent. Now I just have to see if by some miracle it holds on. 5 people already under par though. Boo! :(

> >

> @Ty_Webb I didn't read the hole by hole... it's not you it's me. This chair ain't that comfortable. Congrats on the good round though. Sounds like your prep work was remarkably similar to @vietnameeh's prep was for his qualifying round. Seems like both of those approaches worked fairly well?

>

> Did either of you learn anything or is there anything you might change going forward @Ty_Webb @vietnameeh ?

>

> *Edit* @Ty_Webb just saw you've got events this coming week let's hold off on on evaluations until after their over and best of luck!

>

I’m going to really focus on sharpening up the short game, but I have been tracking my data since the beginning of the year. Everything needs works

For example I average 35% fairways. So I’ve been working on that with hitting 3 woods and hybrids. According to my data I have better scores from the fairway.

I think a huge issue right now is my iron game. Averaging 46% GIR and I really want to bring this stat up. I have been thinking about experimenting with hitting more controlled knock down shots. I notice as of late I just take a full swing and hope.

But I think sharpening up the short game will help relieve a lot of my short comings

But my left thumb does hurt still, played a round Sunday. Played a lot better but irons and short game was terrible. The hurt thumb actually allowed me to hit more fairways than usual... I noticed pain when my right hand got a little loose, so focused on keeping the hands as a unit. But poor approach shots and terrible short game added to high score .... I love golf lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Heading to Kingsley Club for the peninsula cup, a best ball mid am invitational. Favorite course I’ve ever played, extremely difficult, I have a really solid partner and have been playing well. Worst case scenario it’ll be a nice long weekend with lots of sodas. Forecast is 80* with 2 mph winds every day, it’s a links course so should be gettable. I think something in the 65-67 range every day should have a shot playing from 7000 yards.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Well, I made round 2 of the Hebron. Played this morning in about a million degrees. It was hot. I did find out one interesting thing on the first tee this morning. Apparently the holes were cut in the same place yesterday as round 1 of the PGA. Today we had the round 2 pins. I had thought they were difficult. There were a lot in both rounds cut right on the edges of the greens. That was eye opening. Anyway, today and yesterday were a tale of two different games. Yesterday I hit 10 fairways and 13 greens, but had 37 putts. Today I hit 4 fairways and 9 greens, but had 28 putts. I hit a fair number of good chips (and some bad ones). I think I had four holes where I was not on the green in one over regulation. But I chipped in on the first (for bogey) and chipped it close on several occasions. I also made birdie on 15, which might be the hardest hole in the world. Shot 76 with a horse shoed putt for par on the last from about 5 feet. Need to hit it better off the tee tomorrow and Thursday or the scores are going to be not good.

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Good goin'!!!

What's your current index?

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Well, I made round 2 of the Hebron. Played this morning in about a million degrees. It was hot. I did find out one interesting thing on the first tee this morning. Apparently the holes were cut in the same place yesterday as round 1 of the PGA. Today we had the round 2 pins. I had thought they were difficult. There were a lot in both rounds cut right on the edges of the greens. That was eye opening. Anyway, today and yesterday were a tale of two different games. Yesterday I hit 10 fairways and 13 greens, but had 37 putts. Today I hit 4 fairways and 9 greens, but had 28 putts. I hit a fair number of good chips (and some bad ones). I think I had four holes where I was not on the green in one over regulation. But I chipped in on the first (for bogey) and chipped it close on several occasions. I also made birdie on 15, which might be the hardest hole in the world. Shot 76 with a horse shoed putt for par on the last from about 5 feet. Need to hit it better off the tee tomorrow and Thursday or the scores are going to be not good.

> @Obee said:

> Good goin'!!!

>

> What's your current index?

>

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > Well, I made round 2 of the Hebron. Played this morning in about a million degrees. It was hot. I did find out one interesting thing on the first tee this morning. Apparently the holes were cut in the same place yesterday as round 1 of the PGA. Today we had the round 2 pins. I had thought they were difficult. There were a lot in both rounds cut right on the edges of the greens. That was eye opening. Anyway, today and yesterday were a tale of two different games. Yesterday I hit 10 fairways and 13 greens, but had 37 putts. Today I hit 4 fairways and 9 greens, but had 28 putts. I hit a fair number of good chips (and some bad ones). I think I had four holes where I was not on the green in one over regulation. But I chipped in on the first (for bogey) and chipped it close on several occasions. I also made birdie on 15, which might be the hardest hole in the world. Shot 76 with a horse shoed putt for par on the last from about 5 feet. Need to hit it better off the tee tomorrow and Thursday or the scores are going to be not good.

>

>

Trending to +0.9, currently +0.6

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

I was working on cutting down my draw as I mentioned a few pages ago after my quebec amateur tournament. Making some progress but it always sucks going through changes. I shot 81 in the first round of my clubs match play and lost. I was the #2 seed lol. Kind of sucky. I'm hoping I'll be coming back into form in time for our club championship.

This has been overall a good season for me. And it's been fun playing events again after having my daughter. But I was optimistic about doing better in the event as I played. Ah well

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I played my Met Open qualifier this past Monday at Nissequogue CC and shot 77 - with a 9 on the 14th hole. I had just made a bounce-back birdie at the 13th, a par 5, to get to +1 and right near the cut line (it ended up being E). The 14th was playing roughly 400 yards and there is a ton of room up the left side, but OB all up the right. I aimed up the left to play my standard cut shot and in the transition the club slipped out of my right hand (it was very hot and humid), sending the ball basically straight right. My provisional was good, but then I tugged a PW into a rake lie in the bunker, which I bladed over the green onto a bare-lie sideslope...and then a total butcher job with the putter. I still think it's driver every single time and this was just a stroke of bad luck, but looking back I have to figure out a way to make 6 at the most there. Things sped up just a hair after the lost ball search.

I have been entering my stats into DECADE and found that the tee ball has been the weakest part of my game in tournament play. This is definitely something I need to focus on in practice. For reference I am a mid-am playing off a 0 - however I was a 7 HC about five years ago. I am certainly behind the curve in gaining tournament reps, but I feel that with each one I am getting a little better.

• Like 1

> @xrt99 said:

> I played my Met Open qualifier this past Monday at Nissequogue CC and shot 77 - with a 9 on the 14th hole. I had just made a bounce-back birdie at the 13th, a par 5, to get to +1 and right near the cut line (it ended up being E). The 14th was playing roughly 400 yards and there is a ton of room up the left side, but OB all up the right. I aimed up the left to play my standard cut shot and in the transition the club slipped out of my right hand (it was very hot and humid), sending the ball basically straight right. My provisional was good, but then I tugged a PW into a rake lie in the bunker, which I bladed over the green onto a bare-lie sideslope...and then a total butcher job with the putter. I still think it's driver every single time and this was just a stroke of bad luck, but looking back I have to figure out a way to make 6 at the most there. Things sped up just a hair after the lost ball search.

>

> I have been entering my stats into DECADE and found that the tee ball has been the weakest part of my game in tournament play. This is definitely something I need to focus on in practice. For reference I am a mid-am playing off a 0 - however I was a 7 HC about five years ago. I am certainly behind the curve in gaining tournament reps, but I feel that with each one I am getting a little better.

I heard today that a couple of people collapsed on the course from the heat at Nissequogue. I played there in a Met Am qualifier a few years ago. It's a funky course for sure. 77's pretty good given the 9.

I had my Met Open qualifier today. Not good. Started with a bogey, then hooked my drive on 2 into water, hit a great 3 iron from 220 to about 20 feet and three putted for a six. Steadied the ship with a couple of pars, then went bogey double again with another three putt double. Made a few birdies after that but also a few bogeys. Wound up shooting 79. Just didn't really feel right all day today. Have a long day tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can keep it on the planet and the score in the realm of reasonable. I think tomorrow is about 600 yards longer, with one fewer shot. That'll be fun.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @xrt99 said:

> > I played my Met Open qualifier this past Monday at Nissequogue CC and shot 77 - with a 9 on the 14th hole. I had just made a bounce-back birdie at the 13th, a par 5, to get to +1 and right near the cut line (it ended up being E). The 14th was playing roughly 400 yards and there is a ton of room up the left side, but OB all up the right. I aimed up the left to play my standard cut shot and in the transition the club slipped out of my right hand (it was very hot and humid), sending the ball basically straight right. My provisional was good, but then I tugged a PW into a rake lie in the bunker, which I bladed over the green onto a bare-lie sideslope...and then a total butcher job with the putter. I still think it's driver every single time and this was just a stroke of bad luck, but looking back I have to figure out a way to make 6 at the most there. Things sped up just a hair after the lost ball search.

> >

> > I have been entering my stats into DECADE and found that the tee ball has been the weakest part of my game in tournament play. This is definitely something I need to focus on in practice. For reference I am a mid-am playing off a 0 - however I was a 7 HC about five years ago. I am certainly behind the curve in gaining tournament reps, but I feel that with each one I am getting a little better.

>

> I heard today that a couple of people collapsed on the course from the heat at Nissequogue. I played there in a Met Am qualifier a few years ago. It's a funky course for sure. 77's pretty good given the 9.

>

> I had my Met Open qualifier today. Not good. Started with a bogey, then hooked my drive on 2 into water, hit a great 3 iron from 220 to about 20 feet and three putted for a six. Steadied the ship with a couple of pars, then went bogey double again with another three putt double. Made a few birdies after that but also a few bogeys. Wound up shooting 79. Just didn't really feel right all day today. Have a long day tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can keep it on the planet and the score in the realm of reasonable. I think tomorrow is about 600 yards longer, with one fewer shot. That'll be fun.

Yeah, it was brutally hot out there on Monday.

How was Seawane playing, windy? Good luck at Hudson National, getting into the Met Am is always an accomplishment given how few spots they have for qualifiers.

> @xrt99 said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @xrt99 said:

> > > I played my Met Open qualifier this past Monday at Nissequogue CC and shot 77 - with a 9 on the 14th hole. I had just made a bounce-back birdie at the 13th, a par 5, to get to +1 and right near the cut line (it ended up being E). The 14th was playing roughly 400 yards and there is a ton of room up the left side, but OB all up the right. I aimed up the left to play my standard cut shot and in the transition the club slipped out of my right hand (it was very hot and humid), sending the ball basically straight right. My provisional was good, but then I tugged a PW into a rake lie in the bunker, which I bladed over the green onto a bare-lie sideslope...and then a total butcher job with the putter. I still think it's driver every single time and this was just a stroke of bad luck, but looking back I have to figure out a way to make 6 at the most there. Things sped up just a hair after the lost ball search.

> > >

> > > I have been entering my stats into DECADE and found that the tee ball has been the weakest part of my game in tournament play. This is definitely something I need to focus on in practice. For reference I am a mid-am playing off a 0 - however I was a 7 HC about five years ago. I am certainly behind the curve in gaining tournament reps, but I feel that with each one I am getting a little better.

> >

> > I heard today that a couple of people collapsed on the course from the heat at Nissequogue. I played there in a Met Am qualifier a few years ago. It's a funky course for sure. 77's pretty good given the 9.

> >

> > I had my Met Open qualifier today. Not good. Started with a bogey, then hooked my drive on 2 into water, hit a great 3 iron from 220 to about 20 feet and three putted for a six. Steadied the ship with a couple of pars, then went bogey double again with another three putt double. Made a few birdies after that but also a few bogeys. Wound up shooting 79. Just didn't really feel right all day today. Have a long day tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can keep it on the planet and the score in the realm of reasonable. I think tomorrow is about 600 yards longer, with one fewer shot. That'll be fun.

>

> Yeah, it was brutally hot out there on Monday.

>

> How was Seawane playing, windy? Good luck at Hudson National, getting into the Met Am is always an accomplishment given how few spots they have for qualifiers.

It wasn't particularly windy. Certainly can't blame my score on the wind. It was interesting playing it in the summer for the first time. The greens all seemed to me to be crowned around where the holes were, so it was hard to get the reads right. They were also firm.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it. My goal is to enjoy the place. It sounds like it's pretty spectacular.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

So I haven’t played in a tournament since starting work at a new company almost a year ago. In fact, I’ve only played two rounds of golf this year! Ugh

But I’m happy and doing well so blah blah blah.

I’m playing in a better ball event with my brother this weekend. Should be fun. It’s The Santa Barbara Classic and is always a fun tournament with some pretty good players, usually.

• Like 1

> @devinh821 said:

> I just found this thread and it’s provably my favorite. I sadly will never be good enough to play in tourneys but with this thread I get to live thru y’all!!!!! Thanks guys!!!

A lot of golf associations do net events. If you really want to compete, you can usually find a way.

I could use a little advice from you guys. I'm constantly coming up short in the tournaments/qualifiers I play. I mean that both literally and figuratively. I'm too afraid of hitting the ball past the flag and it's killing me.

1) Most greens run back to front.

2) Most tournament/qualifier greens are running fast.

3) Hole locations are usually tough, and routinely on the back or front edge.

If the pin is back I'm afraid to go over and short side myself or have a downhiller. If the pin is in the front I'm simply afraid of having a downhiller. When I judge an approach I'm always thinking about my miss. And because I'm so afraid of going long I usually end up way too short. This issue can also be exacerbated by spinning wedges off the fronts of greens.

Am I thinking too much about my misses and not enough about hitting the number to the flag? Do you guys "dial in" to the flag and forget about misses? My approach works in that I never seem to go long, but these 60 foot uphill birdie putts are killing me.

Some friends of mine play a game within the game. They do points. Here is how it works:

You get a point for hitting the fairway. You get a point for hitting the green. You get a point for hitting your approach past the hole. You get a point for any putt that finishes high side and another for getting past the hole. Only the first putt on the hole. Try to maximize your points that way. That should help.

Had the Met Amateur today. 1st hole 470 downhill then up and they stuck the pin 36 on and 5 from the left. I hit a good drive and a good 3 iron in the middle and three putted. Bogeyed 2. Great drive on 3. 431 and I had 92 in. Bit of a tight lie and I caught it “clean”. Never saw it again. Dropped another one and missed the green with that too. Triple. 4 I hit it right into a heavy lie. Dig it out short pitched on and two putts. 5. Finally made a or at 5, bogeyed 6. +6 after 6 and the course is seriously unforgiving. Then I got it together. Great 2 putt par on 7. 8 is 235 par 3. Hit 2 iron on the green and 2 putt from 60 feet up a tier. 9 (par 5) hit a sand wedge for my third to three feet and made it. Parred 10 and 11. 12 is a 480 par 4. Good drive. 3 iron a little right and short and two putts from the Grindr for a 4. Parred 13 too. Still +6. 14 is the par 5 I have been trying to figure out how to play. Wound up having to lay up anyway. Did that badly and made a good 6 with a 45 foot two putt. Parred 15 after hitting a tree flush and kicking back in the fairway. 16 is a 251 yard par three. Spectacular hole quite downhill and down breeze. 3 iron to 20 feet. 3. 17 is 339 uphill and surprisingly difficult for the length. Tugged a 3 wood in the left trap, heavy second. Yippy 3rd. Chipped on and missed. Double. Then on 18 I got up and down from the front bunker for a 4 and a 79. Very pleased to break 80.

Round 2 started on 10. Great drive. Awful second. Good pitch and made a 8 footer for a par. Dreadful tee shot on 11 and made double. Big shove on 12 (511 par 4). Dig out of the fescue. Knock it on about 20 feet. Two putt “bogey”. 13 make another bogey. 14 hit a big toe hook in the left rough. Decent layup. 9 iron to 50 feet and hole it (playing partner made it from 5’ outside of me first). Kill a drive on 15 on the green two putt par. 16 tee is up a bit and now “only” 220 flag. 4 iron to 25 feet and make that. 17 good three wood and wedge to 15’. Two putts. 18 (465) great drive and a 6 iron to 30 feet. Two putts. 1st tee is back. 488 with the pin still way back. Great drive, great 3 iron to 30 feet. 2 putts. 2 is a 210 par 3. 3 iron to 25 feet. 3. 3 is a little up so only 410. 2 iron in the left rough. 9 iron front right fringe and I made it from 60 feet for a 3. Great drive on 4. 9 iron to 8 feet and missed it. Great drive on 5. Into a hole. Caught it fat and left it short. Left the next one short too. Chip and a putt. Good drive on 6 that snuck off the left into the rough. Good layup and had 100 yards in. Hit a good 56 that should go 95-97 or so and wound up 40 feet long (?). Three putt. 6. Blocked a 3 wood on 7 into the right rough. 8 iron to 30 feet above the hole and hit a great lag putt. 8 they moved us back 5 yards. 240. 2 iron 25 feet left in the rough. Chip on to 15 feet and shaved the edge. Then on 9 after a 15 minute wait on the tee I hit a decent drive but in the right rough. Good layup and 52 to 20 feet that also shaved the edge. 74. Very pleased. Wound up T35.

Sorry for the loooooooooong post.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

@vietnameeh ?

> I’m going to really focus on sharpening up the short game, but I have been tracking my data since the beginning of the year. Everything needs works

>

> For example I average 35% fairways. So I’ve been working on that with hitting 3 woods and hybrids. According to my data I have better scores from the fairway.

>

> I think a huge issue right now is my iron game. Averaging 46% GIR and I really want to bring this stat up. I have been thinking about experimenting with hitting more controlled knock down shots. I notice as of late I just take a full swing and hope.

>

> But I think sharpening up the short game will help relieve a lot of my short comings

>

> But my left thumb does hurt still, played a round Sunday. Played a lot better but irons and short game was terrible. The hurt thumb actually allowed me to hit more fairways than usual... I noticed pain when my right hand got a little loose, so focused on keeping the hands as a unit. But poor approach shots and terrible short game added to high score .... I love golf lol

And golf loves you too! B)

E.T. This hard data is helpful!

1. You might be pretty good at everything if your s/g and fairways are like that, which is very promising. I think it means you're going to have a good chance to get a lot better relatively quickly.

2. If you're hurt you're hurt can't practice.

3. If you weren't hurt what would your goal be?

> @xrt99 said:

> I played my Met Open qualifier this past Monday at Nissequogue CC and shot 77 - with a 9 on the 14th hole. I had just made a bounce-back birdie at the 13th, a par 5, to get to +1 and right near the cut line (it ended up being E). The 14th was playing roughly 400 yards and there is a ton of room up the left side, but OB all up the right. I aimed up the left to play my standard cut shot and in the transition the club slipped out of my right hand (it was very hot and humid), sending the ball basically straight right. My provisional was good, but then I tugged a PW into a rake lie in the bunker, which I bladed over the green onto a bare-lie sideslope...and then a total butcher job with the putter. I still think it's driver every single time and this was just a stroke of bad luck, but looking back I have to figure out a way to make 6 at the most there. Things sped up just a hair after the lost ball search.

>

> I have been entering my stats into DECADE and found that the tee ball has been the weakest part of my game in tournament play. This is definitely something I need to focus on in practice. For reference I am a mid-am playing off a 0 - however I was a 7 HC about five years ago. I am certainly behind the curve in gaining tournament reps, but I feel that with each one I am getting a little better.

Wow really nice reflection there thanks for posting @xrt99 preventing the over correction is not easy. Well done.

> @buzzthecat said:

> I could use a little advice from you guys. I'm constantly coming up short in the tournaments/qualifiers I play. I mean that both literally and figuratively. I'm too afraid of hitting the ball past the flag and it's killing me.

>

> 1) Most greens run back to front.

> 2) Most tournament/qualifier greens are running fast.

> 3) Hole locations are usually tough, and routinely on the back or front edge.

>

> If the pin is back I'm afraid to go over and short side myself or have a downhiller. If the pin is in the front I'm simply afraid of having a downhiller. When I judge an approach I'm always thinking about my miss. And because I'm so afraid of going long I usually end up way too short. This issue can also be exacerbated by spinning wedges off the fronts of greens.

>

> Am I thinking too much about my misses and not enough about hitting the number to the flag? Do you guys "dial in" to the flag and forget about misses? My approach works in that I never seem to go long, but these 60 foot uphill birdie putts are killing me.

@buzzthecat my 2 cents.

Hit the center of the green then dial back or recalibrate from there. For many good players the aim for the pin club is actually relatively short.

@buzzthecat my personal experience is when I was playing alot for me (90 rounds a year) I kept some of my stats and at the end of the year I realized. Even though I hit an OK percentage of fairways and my scores were essentially driven by GIR's and putts.

I still wasn't exact enough to aim for quadrants of the green like I thought I was I've since adjusted to 3rds.

Lots of places to get better information than mine though.

Golf my way. Jack Nicklaus

Little red book. Harvey Pinnick

If you play golf you're my friend. Harvey Pinnick

How to play your best golf all the time. Tommy Armour

Smart golf. Dede Owens

Strategic Golf. Tom Watson

Scott Fawcett

Dave Pelz

Mark Broadie

How to deal with that specific problem though, they all say the same thing:

Plan conservatively and

mkrdqaidqwww.png

• Like 1

Hello all! I signed up for the match play club championship at my home course this year after not playing any competitive golf since high school (I graduated in 2004). This is at Cassel Hills Golf Course in Vandalia, OH.

**First Round**

Hole 1, Par 5, 542 Yards) - I top my drive (lol) - nerves got to me more than I thought. Get things together somewhat and make Bogey, losing the hole. **1 Down**

Hole 2, Par 4, 322 Yards) -I top my drive again (lol) - hit a reasonable approach just short, get up-and-down for Par, tying my opponent. **1 Down**

Hole 3, Par 4, 407 Yards) - I hit a low liner to the left (didn't top it!) - hit the green from about 175 out, but a 3-putt Bogey to my opponent's Birdie. **2 Down**

Hole 4, Par 3, 164 Yards) - Hit a 9-iron just short of a front pin, spinning it back onto the fringe. Make my par, as does my opponent. **2 Down**

Hole 5, Par 4, 378 Yards) - Drive hits a tree to the right of the fairway - I punch up towards the green, make Bogey. Opponent Pars. **3 Down**

Hole 6, Par 5, 530 Yards) - Finally hit a decent drive, good second shot, then miss the green with a wedge. Get up and down for Par while my opponent Bogeys after hitting his tee shot into a tall grass/natural area. **2 Down**

Hole 7, Par 3, 172 Yards) - I miss the green just right, as does my opponent (who goes into a bunker). Opponent hits his shot over the green, leading to a Double. I win the hole with Bogey. **1 Down**

Hole 8, Par 4, 396 Yards) - Decent, drive, GIR, 2-putt par. Opponent pars as well. **1 Down**

Hole 9, Par 3, 158 Yards) - GIR, Par. Same for opponent. **1 Down**

Hole 10, Par 5, 563 Yards) - Routine pars for both of us. **1 Down**

Hole 11, Par 4, 377 Yards) - This severely downhill off the tee, then a sharp dogleg back uphill. I hit a good fairway wood off the tee, then stick a wedge to 4 feet for Birdie, winning the hole. **All Square**

Hole 12, Par 4, 333 Yards) - Another sharp dogleg. 3-iron off the tee, GIR, 2-putt par. My opponent misses the green and fails to get up-and-down. **1 Up**

Hole 13, Par 3, 175 Yards) - Water hole with anything short likely to go into a hazard/pond. Put it on the front fringe and make my Par, as does my opponent. **1 Up**

Hole 14, Par 4, 402 Yards) - Both of us go right and have to hit punch shots between the trees up towards the green. He has a better line and gets it onto the fringe. I have to settle for being about 40 yards from the green. I make a 15 footer to get up-and-down, matching my opponents Par. **1 Up**

Hole 15, Par 4, 367 Yards) - Tight uphill (then down to the green) hole. Fairway wood off the tee goes right and I have to punch out from under some trees, can't get up and down this time. My opponent makes a routine Par to my Bogey. **All Square**

Hole 16, Par 3, 127 Yards) - Straight uphill with a severe back-to-front slope on the green. My opponent hits it to about 20 feet, I hit the green but it spins back onto the front fringe. We both make our Pars. **All Square**

Hole 17, Par 5, 526 Yards) - Woods/penalty area all down the right side of this hole. My opponent hits into the trees. Plenty of room to the left on this hole... so I follow suit and also hit it into the trees. There are overhanging trees where we drop, but my opponent has a better line and gets it within chipping distance of the green. I punch out and have about 175 yards left. I stick it to 6 feet and make the putt for Par, while my opponent makes Bogey. **1 Up**

Hole 18, Par 4, 415 Yards) - Woods/penalty area all down the right side again. I hit a good tee shot, while my opponent hits just into the edge of the trees. He has to take an unplayable lie and hits up towards the green. Front pin, with plenty of green behind the hole, into a strong wind. I would normally hit a PW, but opt to choke down and hit a smooth 9 to avoid coming up short. I pure it and it lands on the back fringe, just hopping over the green. The green slopes back to front and my chip rolls off onto the front fringe. At this point, my opponent has an 6 footer for Bogey, while I am putting for Par from the fringe about 25 feet away. Just needing to 2-putt for the win, I roll it in from the fringe to close things out. **Win - 2 Up**

Ended up shooting 75 on the day - Even Par on my last 11 holes. Given the extremely shaky start to my round, I couldn't be happier with how things turned out.

I have my next match later today - against an opponent who has won either the match or stroke play club championship about half-a-dozen times and was a college golfer, so I'll have my hands full, lol.

Hopefully I get off to a smoother start today!

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

> @JAMH03 said:

> E.T. This hard data is helpful!

> 1. You might be pretty good at everything if your s/g and fairways are like that, which is very promising. I think it means you're going to have a good chance to get a lot better relatively quickly.

> 2. If you're hurt you're hurt can't practice.

> 3. If you weren't hurt what would your goal be?

The goal would be to really tighten up the way I hit approach shots. I use shot scope for data

from 150-210 I average 88 ft. I feel this has always been my struggle is the 2nd shot.

50-110 I am mediocre - average 34 ft

My tee game while, I may not hit many fairways I hit it long enough to usually have mid-short iron in depending on length of course. I figure if I can have confidence with the irons it will leak into my whole game I will play a whole lot better. My wedge game and putting have always been "good" but always can be sharpened up.

This is what probably hurt me last tournament as I was trying to hit hybrid off the tee and leaving myself 150+ on every hole. or if I need to chip out of the trees I still had 150+.

Going to experiment on my own first then reach out for professional help lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE