WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

kick some ace @bladehunter - go get it bro.

you guys might not believe some of the scoring that is going on right now in the NJ state amateur tourney -- the leader atm won in 2017, and just won the MGA Ike Stroke Play event last week...and he shot a course record breaking, bogey-free 64 in round 1...

scoring:

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1900667

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @bladehunter said:

> Well guys and gals.

>

> Tis the eve of the 3 day County Championship.

>

> Riding a big high of caddying for my 11 year old son last night to a big match win which saw him have only 11 putts in 9 holes and drive a 230 yard par 4 on the fly ( they play up junior tees ) over a river to about 15 ft and almost drain the eagle putt. This was after a really bad spring for his game. We worked 2 weeks on driver for this match and in his words “ he was hitting bombs like Phil “. Lol.

> Sounds crazy that I’d have a kid who is such a great putter. He just walks in and bangs them in the back of the cup. Reminds me of watching Rickie Fowler’s stroke for reference. No fear. I’ve actually been learning from him believe it or not. Lol

>

>

> Anyway. Good vibes on my mind. We’re going to try to just freewheel and see what happens. Swing is A ++ at the moment with every club. ( and has been for months). Just have to roll the rock.

Go get 'em!

Just bought an "elite" subscription to Scott Fawcett's decade program. Have the San Diego City Am this weekend and then US Am qualifying on Monday, so I'm not sure if I'll have the time to implement this before then, but it'll be nice to keep some stats and enter those in the app to get some strokes gained numbers.

I just entered a practice round I shot last week from memory and it's interesting so far. Missing a 3' putt is understandably almost a full stroke lost. Seems like the most strokes you can gain are with approach shots and putts. Make a 6' putt, gain .340. Make a 12' gain 0.726. Drive it OB, -2.000 LOL

Anyway, I go at 12:10 on Saturday at Balboa Park Muni. Anticipating a 6.5 hour round. How do you guys like to spend time if you have a long wait on a teebox? Last year had a 1 hour wait on #2 tee and let myself get in a bad mood due to a generally entitled point of view that the tournament should've been run better/faster and not subjected us to that. In actuality, there was little they could do aside from just not playing Balboa as part of the championship. The 2nd hole is a reachable par 5 for just about everyone in the field. Add the fact that it slopes severely from back right to front left and people also 3-putt this green. When you are one of the last guys to tee off, you just end up with that bad break of having to wait. I'll be expecting it this year, but still not sure how to stay loose or spend my time. Thinking maybe I'll pack a lunch and eat it with my down time. Maybe I could watch a movie. Still haven't seen End Game.

LMAO. Me too! Monday!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Shades234 said:

> Just bought an "elite" subscription to Scott Fawcett's decade program. Have the San Diego City Am this weekend and then US Am qualifying on Monday, so I'm not sure if I'll have the time to implement this before then, but it'll be nice to keep some stats and enter those in the app to get some strokes gained numbers.

>

> I just entered a practice round I shot last week from memory and it's interesting so far. Missing a 3' putt is understandably almost a full stroke lost. Seems like the most strokes you can gain are with approach shots and putts. Make a 6' putt, gain .340. Make a 12' gain 0.726. Drive it OB, -2.000 LOL

>

> Anyway, I go at 12:10 on Saturday at Balboa Park Muni. Anticipating a 6.5 hour round. How do you guys like to spend time if you have a long wait on a teebox? Last year had a 1 hour wait on #2 tee and let myself get in a bad mood due to a generally entitled point of view that the tournament should've been run better/faster and not subjected us to that. In actuality, there was little they could do aside from just not playing Balboa as part of the championship. The 2nd hole is a reachable par 5 for just about everyone in the field. Add the fact that it slopes severely from back right to front left and people also 3-putt this green. When you are one of the last guys to tee off, you just end up with that bad break of having to wait. I'll be expecting it this year, but still not sure how to stay loose or spend my time. Thinking maybe I'll pack a lunch and eat it with my down time. Maybe I could watch a movie. Still haven't seen End Game.

So back in the day I went to the 2000 open at St Andrews. I was following tiger round fresh off the back of his 15 shot win. The 5th hole is a 560 yard par five downwind a little. Everyone could reach and the flag was right on the front. The green was rock hard and it’s 98 yards long. Everyone was three putting from 150 feet away and it took forever. 45 minute wait for tiger’s group. He sat down and watched. Then about 5 minutes before he was up he stood up and took a couple of mid irons and swung them to loosen himself up again. Then he took out his driver and hit it 400 yards down the dead center of the fairway. That was when I knew I wasn’t good enough and never would be. In any case, that’s what I’d suggest. Relax and enjoy your surroundings. Then when it’s your go make sure you’re loose and freewheel it.

Oh and try get an earlier tee time next time...

Good luck!!!

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

duplicate post

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

got our tee times for the NJ state open today -- (tourney is round 1 July 22nd, round 2 july 23rd; and a cut to the top 50+Ties to play round 3 on july 24th)

looks like i'll be off the tenth tee @ 8:48am in round 1; and the first tee @ 1:48pm in round 2

here's the link if you all wanted to follow along:

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1887891

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I have my match tomorrow in the Quebec interclub tournament. I'm an underdog, my team is in one of the top brackets and I am playing in the top spot for my club. Typically we have had +3's or +4's in this spot but this year we lost a few guys to pro and college. Gonna give it my best. Send me your good vibes people !!! Out of the 4 guys in my pairing, let's just say I'd be getting shots if this was a regular Sunday Haha

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MtlJeff said:

> I have my match tomorrow in the Quebec interclub tournament. I'm an underdog, my team is in one of the top brackets and I am playing in the top spot for my club. Typically we have had +3's or +4's in this spot but this year we lost a few guys to pro and college. Gonna give it my best. Send me your good vibes people !!! Out of the 4 guys in my pairing, let's just say I'd be getting shots if this was a regular Sunday Haha

>

>

>

>

? go get it!!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Qualified for and then played the NCGA Strokeplay the last two days. Course was rated 73.1/140 and it was foggy (couldnt see the second green on a par 3) and cold.

I didn't plan well (only got the tee times 6 days before) and ended up having to drive the 2.5hrs to Poppy Hills from my house before my 7.52am tee time yesterday, early start! Back got tight in the middle of the round and started a quick pull series of drives on holes 10-14. Ended up shooting 79 and was 84th/156. Top 40 and ties go through to final (third round). Today starting on 10th tee at 12.52 (stayed relatively close overnight) and i'm nervous as heck again. Low pull drive but get away with it, 190 into the green, brain freeze and flair a 5 iron short right leaving me a 30yd bunker shot, leave it 40ft for par and then 3 putt, double bogey start and i'm done. I relax and hit the ball better but with par 3s playing 193 to 229yds I don't score well and shoot 78. Cut line ends at 151. Average score over all rounds for the 2 days was 78.48. First day 3 scores sub par.

Lots of college kids in this one, no chance of winning but should have made the cut.

First season of tournament golf, have to overcome the nerves and sort this back out. Also long irons miss is flair right cause I sway into the ball when under pressure. Fix those two things and I have a chance of being there on the third day next year. Learning a lot from this first year and my expectations are low, Maybe I can get somewhere decent by when Masters age starts in 3.5 years.

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > I have my match tomorrow in the Quebec interclub tournament. I'm an underdog, my team is in one of the top brackets and I am playing in the top spot for my club. Typically we have had +3's or +4's in this spot but this year we lost a few guys to pro and college. Gonna give it my best. Send me your good vibes people !!! Out of the 4 guys in my pairing, let's just say I'd be getting shots if this was a regular Sunday Haha

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> ? go get it!!

Well things didn't go great. I played only OK , and made no points. Was going up against guys that are admittedly better and more battle tested than me, but no excuses . We actually had some decent galleries following us which was not expected and a bit intimidating LOL. I've played football in front of 20,000 people but for some reason playing golf in front of like 100 just seems so much more personal. Like if you pull one you hear all the gasps. I hit some good shots in front of them though , almost made an albatross, and stuck a shot to 4 feet on a par 3 with a stadium setting around it

That being said it was an disappointment overall. I hit it poorly off the tee. It's something i need to work on. It was a very tight course and my massive sweeping draw does not work well. I need to become a more versatile player. I just don't have enough shots.

Even one of the other caddies was like , dude you need to hit a fade every now and then LOL. (he was making a joke, not being an a-hole or anything, everyone in my group were great guys). I was just like "i cant".

Anyway, it was still a good experience to see where i need to get to. Played against some tough dudes today. The club that won our group had 8 scratch players out of their 10 guys LOL. I was in our lead spot as a 0.6!

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > I have my match tomorrow in the Quebec interclub tournament. I'm an underdog, my team is in one of the top brackets and I am playing in the top spot for my club. Typically we have had +3's or +4's in this spot but this year we lost a few guys to pro and college. Gonna give it my best. Send me your good vibes people !!! Out of the 4 guys in my pairing, let's just say I'd be getting shots if this was a regular Sunday Haha

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > ? go get it!!

>

> Well things didn't go great. I played only OK , and made no points. Was going up against guys that are admittedly better and more battle tested than me, but no excuses . We actually had some decent galleries following us which was not expected and a bit intimidating LOL. I've played football in front of 20,000 people but for some reason playing golf in front of like 100 just seems so much more personal. Like if you pull one you hear all the gasps. I hit some good shots in front of them though , almost made an albatross, and stuck a shot to 4 feet on a par 3 with a stadium setting around it

>

> That being said it was an disappointment overall. I hit it poorly off the tee. It's something i need to work on. It was a very tight course and my massive sweeping draw does not work well. I need to become a more versatile player. I just don't have enough shots.

>

> Even one of the other caddies was like , dude you need to hit a fade every now and then LOL. (he was making a joke, not being an a-hole or anything, everyone in my group were great guys). I was just like "i cant".

>

> Anyway, it was still a good experience to see where i need to get to. Played against some tough dudes today. The club that won our group had 8 scratch players out of their 10 guys LOL. I was in our lead spot as a 0.6!

Yeah I hear you on the team stuff.

We play in the California Scratch League every year, and we go about 12 - 15 mid-ams/seniors deep with plus-handicaps. We won it three years in a row and four of six. Have won it in two years, though.

> @Obee said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > I have my match tomorrow in the Quebec interclub tournament. I'm an underdog, my team is in one of the top brackets and I am playing in the top spot for my club. Typically we have had +3's or +4's in this spot but this year we lost a few guys to pro and college. Gonna give it my best. Send me your good vibes people !!! Out of the 4 guys in my pairing, let's just say I'd be getting shots if this was a regular Sunday Haha

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > ? go get it!!

> >

> > Well things didn't go great. I played only OK , and made no points. Was going up against guys that are admittedly better and more battle tested than me, but no excuses . We actually had some decent galleries following us which was not expected and a bit intimidating LOL. I've played football in front of 20,000 people but for some reason playing golf in front of like 100 just seems so much more personal. Like if you pull one you hear all the gasps. I hit some good shots in front of them though , almost made an albatross, and stuck a shot to 4 feet on a par 3 with a stadium setting around it

> >

> > That being said it was an disappointment overall. I hit it poorly off the tee. It's something i need to work on. It was a very tight course and my massive sweeping draw does not work well. I need to become a more versatile player. I just don't have enough shots.

> >

> > Even one of the other caddies was like , dude you need to hit a fade every now and then LOL. (he was making a joke, not being an a-hole or anything, everyone in my group were great guys). I was just like "i cant".

> >

> > Anyway, it was still a good experience to see where i need to get to. Played against some tough dudes today. The club that won our group had 8 scratch players out of their 10 guys LOL. I was in our lead spot as a 0.6!

>

> Yeah I hear you on the team stuff.

>

> We play in the California Scratch League every year, and we go about 12 - 15 mid-ams/seniors deep with plus-handicaps. We won it three years in a row and four of six. Have won it in two years, though.

Yeah we had some bad luck the past couple of years, we had 2 guys who were +3 or +4 both become pros. And currently I would say maybe the top teenager in Canada plays at our club but he was unavailable due to his training. So the top half of our team took a big hit

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

got in a practice round at Trump Bedminster (new course) for the state open yesterday. i'm incredibly glad i have the caddie i do (he's the caddiemasters' assistant). he gave me ideal info yesterday - there are some spots that you just have to wail driver and get a wedge in your hand in order to hold some of the greens. i'll also be changing to a softer/spinnier ball.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

One thing I'll echo that others have said. Playing under a lot of pressure (like big galleries), you really learn quick which clubs you aren't super comfortable hitting, and which you can rely on. I have a 20 degree hybrid that I really leaned on , and I really didn't have a lot of confidence with driver

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @MtlJeff said:

> One thing I'll echo that others have said. Playing under a lot of pressure (like big galleries), you really learn quick which clubs you aren't super comfortable hitting, and which you can rely on. I have a 20 degree hybrid that I really leaned on , and I really didn't have a lot of confidence with driver

yea man -- when you HAVE to hit a shot; the subconscious will be a bit louder than normal and flaws can come out.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Which ball? Have you researched ball spin at all?

Softer does NOT equal more spin, necessarily.

> @gioguy21 said:

> got in a practice round at Trump Bedminster (new course) for the state open yesterday. i'm incredibly glad i have the caddie i do (he's the caddiemasters' assistant). he gave me ideal info yesterday - there are some spots that you just have to wail driver and get a wedge in your hand in order to hold some of the greens. i'll also be changing to a softer/spinnier ball.

I was a bit down in the dumps following the Ohio Amateur last week since I did not qualify (missed by one shot). I'm a sufferer of what I'd call the "one-shot blues", thinking of all the ways I could have shaved one stroke...it's madenning.

My regional amateur tournament is coming up in a few weeks so I've got a shot at some redemption. Practice will be focused on 50-125 yard shots and chipping. I really need to dial in some distance control with my wedges.

> @Obee said:

>

> Which ball? Have you researched ball spin at all?

>

> Softer does NOT equal more spin, necessarily.

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > got in a practice round at Trump Bedminster (new course) for the state open yesterday. i'm incredibly glad i have the caddie i do (he's the caddiemasters' assistant). he gave me ideal info yesterday - there are some spots that you just have to wail driver and get a wedge in your hand in order to hold some of the greens. i'll also be changing to a softer/spinnier ball.

>

>

lol sorry --- i just meant spinnier. yes, i've done research and currently have two sets of 'stables' for balls i play.

i'm either playing the pairing of TP5X/TP5 or BX/BXs

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Obee said:

> >

> > Which ball? Have you researched ball spin at all?

> >

> > Softer does NOT equal more spin, necessarily.

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > got in a practice round at Trump Bedminster (new course) for the state open yesterday. i'm incredibly glad i have the caddie i do (he's the caddiemasters' assistant). he gave me ideal info yesterday - there are some spots that you just have to wail driver and get a wedge in your hand in order to hold some of the greens. i'll also be changing to a softer/spinnier ball.

> >

> >

>

> lol sorry --- i just meant spinnier. yes, i've done research and currently have two sets of 'stables' for balls i play.

>

> i'm either playing the pairing of TP5X/TP5 or BX/BXs

I do AVX/V1X. A little more extreme difference.

> @buzzthecat said:

> Dang Blade, that's a roller coaster ride if I've ever seen one. I won't offer any advice as I'm sure

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock