WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

> @bladehunter said:

> > @copperjeff said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @copperjeff said:

> > > > @bladehunter

> > > > Ive got a theory about your putting struggles. Its probably a little different, but hear me out.

> > > >

> > > > It sounds like your stroke is fine. You hit the middle of the face. Your speed control sounds like it's within reason. It also sounds like you arent completely incompetent at reading a green. (As in you've got a general sense of what the break is, but nailing it specifically is troublesome.) Also sounds like you are ok at hitting the line you want.

> > > >

> > > > If I'm wrong on any of the above please correct me.

> > > >

> > > > What I think might be happening is the speed you read the putt at just doesnt match the actual pace you hit the putt at.

> > > >

> > > > If I'm right, it means you can yip some putts because your subconscious knows you dont have it right. It also means you don't have a consistent miss (high/low/short/long) because every putt is trying to compensate for the inequity you created.

> > > >

> > > > I believe it's easier to adjust the pace you hit the putt rather than the read you come up with. So, go to your practice green, find a 6ft putt with some break and roll putts at all different speeds until the ball rolls the full line you read. Maybe you have to die it in the hole, maybe you have to hit it 3ft past speed.

> > > >

> > > > Try it for a bit and see what happens.

> > >

> > > Yes. All those things are true. Yes.

> > >

> > > I can tell you which way it breaks. It’s the finite “in the cup out of the cup” thing that eludes me. Also why I prefer large slopping greens to flat ones. I can read them easier and just feel my way around. My home course is this way. Very few flat putts. I hate a straight looking putt. I much prefer to feed it into the hole from a slope. All 3 of the putts I made in the second round this weekend for birdie where more than 18 inches of break. One from around 40 ft that moved 3 feet. I saw that line so easy. When I’m about to make a putt I usually know it before hand. And oppositely I usually like beforehand that I’ll miss. When I can see the line I get over it knowing. But it’s relatively rare. Usually I’m over it thinking “ hmm. Will it dive across or hang in the hole ....”. Or “ my least favorite “ on the right edge or just out “. I usually lip those out or roll them over the edge. Give me a putt of 12 ft that moves a foot or more anyday. I’m convinced it’s mostly the read and the subsequent confidence or lack of confidence that comes from the read.

> > >

> > > That’s not to claim perfection with anything else. But I do hit a ton of putts that I think were on my intended line. They just don’t move how I thought. If I pull or Push one. I know it. Maybe a product of the home greens I learned to putt on. You just don’t see many putts that don’t move more than a cup. Not until you’re inside 3-4 ft.

> >

> > After reading this I feel even more confident that you just don't hit the putts at the same speed you read the line at.

> >

> > Without seeing and talking face to face, just based on the above I'd bet the line you see is pretty close to die it in, but you hit anything within 15ft at a much firmer pace.

>

> Yep. I read anything to die in the cup. Rarely does a putt of mine bang in. Exception being 1-3 footers. I do hit those hard.

>

> Now the question becomes. How to see the line for proper speed ? Is it just a matter of reducing the amount of borrow ?

Personally, I can't properly read a line for anything but die in the hole speed. Theoretically, reducing the amount of borrow would work, but if your subconscious prefers the die in the hole speed you will still struggle.

You may have an easier time adjusting the pace you put on your putts.

One thing I do know, once you match the pace in your head to how you actually roll the ball (or vice versa), your putting will change practically overnight.

As an addendum, a lot of golfers I know are afraid of actually putting at die in the hole speed. The whole never up, never in ideal and all that. To which I have 2 counter arguments. 1) ive never blown a putt 4 feet past the hole and had it come back and into the hole either. And 2) if that's the line you read giving it a bunch more pace is going to cause you to miss it anyway.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

@bladehunter hey boss! long time...

i've been a world class putter in prior lives, dropped to the level youre experiencing now, and have my way pretty much all back up.

i will follow up with more detail here on DM with how to get it fixed, and is quite simple. you need to recalibrate / practice a few simple ideas and i assure you that you will be blown away. no reason to get a lesson quite yet. lets talk friend

to all the rest of you - i've had a pretty packed tournament schedule, which i will post about the past few months + upcoming events.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > I think I’ve said this before, but the best lesson I ever got in golf was this: confidence is a choice.

> >

> > You can choose to be confident or not.

> >

> > With putting you don’t fool yourself into anything. You put in the work so you know you can roll the ball at the speed you’ve chosen and roll the ball on the correct line for that speed. There is nothing more you can do and anything less is lazy or noncommittal.

> >

> > I don’t think you’re completely honest with yourself, which I think is probably the root of the issue you have. Keep in mind that’s only the sense I get, I don’t know you, so I don’t know.

> >

> > Do you know Rodney Tapp?

>

>

> That name sounds familiar. But I can’t place him. Is he local to me ?

>

>

> I may not be. I think anyone is guilty of that. In what way do you mean ? No offense taken. I’ll answer it honestly.

>

> I disagree about confidence being a choice. It has to be rooted in something. It won’t hold up if it’s not. You probably have actual confidence in your putting. Hard to explain the difference. But there is one.

The difference is mindset. It doesn’t have to be rooted in anything other than you know you can make a putt, hit a drive, pitch, iron, fade, draw, low, whatever. You know you can do and you acknowledge that you know you can do it. That conscious acknowledgment is a choice.

I just saw the tournament you played in was in Spartanburg. Rodney is an old friend that I played on the hooters tour with and spent some time with in Spartanburg.

To answer your question, I think that you minimize the length of putts you have, how close you hit it. It’s really hard to miss a 1 ft putt without full blown yips. You say that it’s not a stroke problem but you admit you “flinch”. You may very well be a world class striker of the ball, but there aren’t that many out there that hit it inside of 15’ 12 times a round. I don’t know. 3 feet is really short and it’s easy to miss a 5 footer and say you missed from 3 feet.

> @"b.helts" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > I think I’ve said this before, but the best lesson I ever got in golf was this: confidence is a choice.

> > >

> > > You can choose to be confident or not.

> > >

> > > With putting you don’t fool yourself into anything. You put in the work so you know you can roll the ball at the speed you’ve chosen and roll the ball on the correct line for that speed. There is nothing more you can do and anything less is lazy or noncommittal.

> > >

> > > I don’t think you’re completely honest with yourself, which I think is probably the root of the issue you have. Keep in mind that’s only the sense I get, I don’t know you, so I don’t know.

> > >

> > > Do you know Rodney Tapp?

> >

> >

> > That name sounds familiar. But I can’t place him. Is he local to me ?

> >

> >

> > I may not be. I think anyone is guilty of that. In what way do you mean ? No offense taken. I’ll answer it honestly.

> >

> > I disagree about confidence being a choice. It has to be rooted in something. It won’t hold up if it’s not. You probably have actual confidence in your putting. Hard to explain the difference. But there is one.

>

> The difference is mindset. It doesn’t have to be rooted in anything other than you know you can make a putt, hit a drive, pitch, iron, fade, draw, low, whatever. You know you can do and you acknowledge that you know you can do it. That conscious acknowledgment is a choice.

>

> I just saw the tournament you played in was in Spartanburg. Rodney is an old friend that I played on the hooters tour with and spent some time with in Spartanburg.

>

> To answer your question, I think that you minimize the length of putts you have, how close you hit it. It’s really hard to miss a 1 ft putt without full blown yips. You say that it’s not a stroke problem but you admit you “flinch”. You may very well be a world class striker of the ball, but there aren’t that many out there that hit it inside of 15’ 12 times a round. I don’t know. 3 feet is really short and it’s easy to miss a 5 footer and say you

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have my next tournament on Thursday. Course I've not played before. Inwood CC on Long Island. Qualifier for the Met Amateur. 9 & ties get in. Decent field I think. Guessing around +1 or maybe +2 gets in if the weather is decent. I also haven't played since 7/1. Went to the range on Sunday for the first time since then too. Given that the range session went pretty well, but I'm going to be rusty. Course looks reasonably open on the flyover on their website and on google maps. A good few drivers except a couple of short par 4s with bunkers everywhere. 3 or 4 iron and then a wedge methinks. My expectations are roughly where I want them to be. Low. :)

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Ony my way to work this morning I was listening to the latest Fried Egg Podcast with Geoff Ogilvy. They spent some time discussing why some of the world's elite ball strikers are "bad" putters (Garcia, Scott, Fleetwood, etc). The gist being they always hit it close and have more opportunities to make birdie than the rest of us, but as a result they also have more misses than the rest of us. And those misses have a way of nestling down in your psyche making you feel like a "bad" putter. In reality they are very good putters plagued by their ball-striking prowess.

Now, that's no excuse for missing 3 footers. But if you can clean those up I'd cut yourself a little slack on the 10-15 footers.

> @buzzthecat said:

> Ony my way to work this morning I was listening to the latest Fried Egg Podcast with Geoff Ogilvy. They spent some time discussing why some of the world's elite ball strikers are "bad" putters (Garcia, Scott, Fleetwood, etc). The gist being they always hit it close and have more opportunities to make birdie than the rest of us, but as a result they also have more misses than the rest of us. And those misses have a way of nestling down in your psyche making you feel like a "bad" putter. In reality they are very good putters plagued by their ball-striking prowess.

>

> Now, that's no excuse for missing 3 footers. But if you can clean those up I'd cut yourself a little slack on the 10-15 footers.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@bladehunter i tend to hit quite a bit of greens myself -- but the mindset that i've taken and i live by is:

"i'm going to make a putt at some point, but the worse i'm making is par...let's just keep grindin"

*my stats last 20 rounds (that i've tracked) i've hit 60.4% of greens; 1.71 putts/hole; 1.87 putts/gir

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

BH - I'm not a world class putter, but if you think about putting during a round as much as you type about it here I'm not surprised to hear your're struggling - and that's not meant to be mean or insulting.

Have you read "putting out of your mind"? Does a good job of explaining how you need to align yourself mentally.

> @RichieHunt said:

> I am considering playing in the Florida State Mid-Am in October. The last day to sign up is September 25th. I've had various ailments this year....well, really for over the past year. I had some nerve damage in my right foot and plantar fasciites in my left foot. The bigger issue for me was the right shoulder and elbow. Then my right lower back and right hip started to hurt as well as the back of my right knee and my right ankle.

>

> I finally decided to go see a chiropactor and I'm glad I did as most of the pain has gone away. If it keeps up that way and I'm still playing pretty decent, I'll sign up for the tournament as long as I don't have some crazy work schedule (work has been ridiculously busy all year long, but it should subside in a month or so.

>

> As far as my play, it's been very good recently. Ever since going to see George Gankas for a lesson, he really uncovered some stuff that has plagued my swing and consistency for a long time. Some other stuff I just had the technique he prescribes wrong. My main issue is I just need to get more reps, particularly on the golf course.

>

> In preparation for the Mid-Am, I've been playing in the Scratch Game at my home club, Orange Tree. I've had tremendous success this year as I was on the winning team 7 times in a row. The front nine at Orange Tree has killed me. I had a 41-32 and a 40-33 there. However, I shot 69 there on Saturday on some greens that were still a little bumpy due to aeration.

>

> The Mid-Am is being played at Sara Bay. I think that's a good thing as looking at the course from Google Earth it seems pretty similar to Orange Tree, except it doesn't have the OB that Orange Tree has. Playing at Orange Tree has helped me become mentally stronger because I don't fret over making bogey or even double bogey as much. I have more confidence that I can always make up for it with good focus and some luck.

>

> Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to see this thru.

>

>

>

>

> RH

Hope you play and good luck if you do.

> @Buckets2 said:

> BH - I'm not a world class putter, but if you think about putting during a round as much as you type about it here I'm not surprised to hear your're struggling - and that's not meant to be mean or insulting.

>

> Have you read "putting out of your mind"? Does a good job of explaining how you need to align yourself mentally.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@bladehunter we have similar putting issues I think in some ways. I, too, am putting green illiterate. However, the short ones have to be made. Anything inside the edges from short distance is a must make. I tend to die putts into the hole and "see" break that isn't there. On bent greens it is easier to use that approach and be successful, but on Beermuda I am finding it is not very deterministic. On longer putts it should still minimize your 3 putts, but dieing 3 footers into the grain is quixotic. Even though it is against your nature, practice making 3 footers hitting them firmly. A miss should go at least 2' by. You won't like the feeling, but it may help. I am still working on it (not very religiously at this point, but practicing 3' putts in 112 heat index is almost suicidal), but I have seen some improvement. Finally, keep plugging away and don't let despair and frustration get to you.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> @bladehunter we have similar putting issues I think in some ways. I, too, am putting green illiterate. However, the short ones have to be made. Anything inside the edges from short distance is a must make. I tend to die putts into the hole and "see" break that isn't there. On bent greens it is easier to use that approach and be successful, but on Beermuda I am finding it is not very deterministic. On longer putts it should still minimize your 3 putts, but dieing 3 footers into the grain is quixotic. Even though it is against your nature, practice making 3 footers hitting them firmly. A miss should go at least 2' by. You won't like the feeling, but it may help. I am still working on it (not very religiously at this point, but practicing 3' putts in 112 heat index is almost suicidal), but I have seen some improvement. Finally, keep plugging away and don't let despair and frustration get

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@bladehunter not to go further down the rabbit hole but, when you practice putting - i assume it's on bermuda.

do you find a hole where the grain is consistently one way...relatively flat and you can experiment with reading the grain and hitting 'straight' 3' putts to know what the grain should be doing on a given line? (ie putting in a circle around said hole to see all angles/grain effects)

i found with bermuda it's just about experience and proper reading - even then it's not a given it will go in. some of the hardest greens i've ever putted on were in the pinehurst area.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > BH - I'm not a world class putter, but if you think about putting during a round as much as you type about it here I'm not surprised to hear your're struggling - and that's not meant to be mean or insulting.

> >

> > Have you read "putting out of your mind"? Does a good job of explaining how you need to align yourself mentally.

>

> Nope I haven’t. I may check it out. Who is the author ?

>

> I think about making putts 24/7. Borderline obsession. Maybe across the border. Hard not to. But I also am a self admitted OCD personality. Which helps a lot with this game as far as drive to practice. But it also cripples you sometimes because you have trouble turning the mind off .

https://www.amazon.com/Putting-Out-Your-Mind-Rotella/dp/1416501991

• Like 1

> @gioguy21 said:

> @bladehunter not to go further down the rabbit hole but, when you practice putting - i assume it's on bermuda.

>

> do you find a hole where the grain is consistently one way...relatively flat and you can experiment with reading the grain and hitting 'straight' 3' putts to know what the grain should be doing on a given line? (ie putting in a circle around said hole to see all angles/grain effects)

>

> i found with bermuda it's just about experience and proper reading - even then it's not a given it will go in. some of the hardest greens i've ever putted on were in the

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

About 100% of my putting practice is done in Bermuda shorts, too, and I find that helps

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I feel you pain BH. Just had my US Am Qualifying rounds yesterday. Putted generally well from 5' and out, but was missing shorties. Yipped some. I probably deserved the 71 that I shot... Got some lucky breaks, but in the spirit of complaining about my putting, I'm going to blame my missed 3' putt on 7, 4 putt from 30' on 17 (yip missed 2' par, then 4' comeback LOL), and then 3 putt par on 18 for taking me out of contention.

I teed off 10 to start my afternoon round and instantly yipped a 3' par putt, but then did well to make 5 pars and 3 birdies to shoot -2 on that side. Including stuffing a 5i to 1' from 196 into a hurting crosswind. Can't 4putt that one. Then had a nice 2 putt birdie from range on 18 where I gave myself a 1' tap in. Headed to the first tee and proceeded to snap hook one into the 9th fairway. Hit a 7i over trees to the green and 2putted for par, but that was a signal of me running out of gas. My hamstrings were starting to get tight from pushing my cart (don't hate) up and down the hills all day and when I get tired, I don't use the ground well and my upper body takes over, sending my teeballs left. Tried to compensate for this, and was able to make a nice 15' birdie on 2. But then another pulled drive put me in the trees on 3 and I had to punch out and take a bogey. Next hole is a par 3. 165 yard 8 iron. I shanked it. Ended up with a double. Made a birdie, a bogey, and 3 pars coming in to finish up, but just felt drained. I thought I was in decent enough shape to walk 36 and not have it effect my game, but I'm not. At least I'm not on a hilly course.

Definitely some positives to take away from these 2 rounds though. I yipped some shorties, but actually made probably more than my fair share of 6 footers. I missed a couple birdie looks from 6-8', but also made 1 and made 2 or 3 par saves from that range. Was generally solid lagging the ball as well. Had 2 get away from me, but most of my lags were ending up within a 3' circle of the hole. Had a lot of 1' par putts and thankfully I didn't miss any of them (lol).

I also have purchased DECADE recently and while I'm not very far into the video materials yet, I understand the general idea and had started to implement it in yesterday's rounds. The 5i that I stuck to a foot, I was aiming nowhere near the hole. I had that thing aimed 10' left assuming that I'd draw to hold the wind (or more) and give myself the fat part of the green. However, I ended up pushing it slightly and it ended up tight. It also worked against me on par 4 where I had aimed 5 paces left of a flag from 160y and ended up 40' from the hole since I turned it over a little to much (natural iron shot is a push draw). But that was still relatively easy to convert to a par which is the tour average from that distance. I also felt I was pretty good about not "trying to make" any putts yesterday. Of course I visualized the ball going in at proper speed (dying or 1' by if inside 10'), but I was more focused on starting my ball on my line with the pace that I wanted and didn't expect anything to drop. I actually made 2 20' birdies back to back in my first round and a couple nice 15' birdies in my second round. Had a few lipouts and near misses as well, but those ended up being easy pars and I was more than happy to move on.

ETA: I tracked my "mental scorecard" yesterday and I am happy with how I managed myself. I ended up with ~96% for my 2 rounds which means I'm either managing myself well or I'm doing the scorecard wrong, but I asked myself before and after every shot if I was committed and generally the answer was, 'yes', even if I had just done something horrendous.

So yeah I'm actually pretty pleased with the potential I showed yesterday even though the result was me missing qualifying by 10 strokes. I probably missed qualifying last year at Sunnyside by a similar margin but felt like I had no way of bridging that gap. This year's miss feels like the gap is actually so much smaller and was more a result of shooting myself in the foot from short putting and lack of conditioning. Really happy with the work I've put into my full swing over the past 8 months or so. Going to continue working on the same things to get things more consistent. Going to focus hard on short game for the next year so I have a lot more options around the greens. Also going to spend a lot more time putting short putts. This was a big step back from where I was last year where I could make everything inside 5' but spray the ball everywhere. Now I'm not spraying as much, but missing the putts. Shows where my work went for the last few months. LOL

Results if you're interested. I shot 71-70. https://scga-2019usamateursectionalqualifyingcco.golfgenius.com/pages/1755619

> @"Ray Jackson" said:

> Qualified for and then played the NCGA Strokeplay the last two days. Course was rated 73.1/140 and it was foggy (couldnt see the second green on a par 3) and cold.

> I didn't plan well (only got the tee times 6 days before) and ended up having to drive the 2.5hrs to Poppy Hills from my house before my 7.52am tee time yesterday, early start! Back got tight in the middle of the round and started a quick pull series of drives on holes 10-14. Ended up shooting 79 and was 84th/156. Top 40 and ties go through to final (third round). Today starting on 10th tee at 12.52 (stayed relatively close overnight) and i'm nervous as heck again. Low pull drive but get away with it, 190 into the green, brain freeze and flair a 5 iron short right leaving me a 30yd bunker shot, leave it 40ft for par and then 3 putt, double bogey start and i'm done. I relax and hit the ball better but with par 3s playing 193 to 229yds I don't score well and shoot 78. Cut line ends at 151. Average score over all rounds for the 2 days was 78.48. First day 3 scores sub par.

> Lots of college kids in this one, no chance of winning but should have made the cut.

> First season of tournament golf, have to overcome the nerves and sort this back out. Also long irons miss is flair right cause I sway into the ball when under pressure. Fix those two things and I have a chance of being there on the third day next year. Learning a lot from this first year and my expectations are low, Maybe I can get somewhere decent by when Masters age starts in 3.5 years.

Hi Ray,

I just played poppy hills yesterday to get a practice round in for the NCGA public links championship next week (my first time since they redid the course). Any advice? My game isn't really suited for tree lined courses (LOL) I think I spent most of my day in the trees even when I hit 3 wood off the tee. The course played firm, I felt like everything ran when it hit the fairway, I didn't I see any rough, it was literally fairway then native grass, so the ball would run into the trees or hazard.

I don't see myself hitting driver all too much, but man my confidence isn't all that great going into the event. I might be hitting hybrid a lot (250-260 yard club), but I am still leaving myself a mid to long iron in .... sigh golf is hard.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

@bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

• Like 1

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> >

> > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> >

> > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

>

> No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

>

> To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

>

> I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stroke and natural feel can make those without even trying; pressure or not.

there's a subconscious aspect to all of this (and i'd bet its 60/40 to blame); but there is something either in your stroke, your line, your approach or something else tangible explaining these putts and 3 jacks.

someone who is a naturally good putter with a good stroke does not 3 putt; just as someone who is naturally gifted at basketball can seemingly drain mind-less free-throws sun up to sun down.

i hate to be brutally honest but, just something i was gathering from the novels.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> > >

> > > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> > >

> > > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

> >

> > No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

> >

> > To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

> >

> > I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

>

> i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stro

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> > > >

> > > > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> > > >

> > > > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

> > >

> > > No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

> > >

> > > To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

> > >

> > > I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

> >

> > i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stroke and natural feel can make those without even trying; pressure or not.

> >

> > there's a subconscious aspect to all of this (and i'd bet its 60/40 to blame); but there is something either in your stroke, your line, your approach or something else tangible explaining these putts and 3 jacks.

> >

> > someone who is a naturally good putter with a good stroke does not 3 putt; just as someone who is naturally gifted at basketball can seemingly drain mind-less free-throws sun up to sun down.

> >

> > i hate to be brutally honest but, just something i was gathering from the novels.

>

> Well. Lol. Was waiting for someone to say that. I do not understand .

>

>

> The very moment I say “ I am a good putter “ which is the opposite of what I have been saying ... here it is. The truth. And I suspected this would happen. So why was I wrong for claiming not to be all along ?

>

> How can both be correct ? Not a personal attack. Just a puzzled response.

>

>

> And again. I exaggerate. So I can spot when someone else does. I haven’t said I can’t make a 3 footer. I said I missed 3 total under 3 ft. Huge divide.

For the sake of everyone else who read this thread - would it be impolite to ask that you create a separate thread for your mental woes?

> @"b.helts" said:

> @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

>

> I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

>

> I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

I've been trying to get this across to him forever. It STARTS with realizing you control your mindset and that you have what it takes to be an excellent putter.

You don't have the luxury of self-doubt when it comes to target-based simple sports (putting, darts, free-throw shooting, etc.). Self-doubt kills you.

You MUST have confidence FIRST. Then use the "pre-confidence" and observation/adjustment to make yourself a much better putter than you already are. All the while NEVER losing the confidence that you have what it takes to be a long-term, GREAT putter.

All the putting drills and practice will get you nowhere if you're so fragile that a round of bad putting makes you question yourself. FORGET what you have done in the past. Utterly and completely. You are on a new journey with a new mindset.

Or not....

I wish I could get this across to you, BH....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t conwetinue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> > > > >

> > > > > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

> > > >

> > > > No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

> > > >

> > > > To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

> > > >

> > > > I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

> > >

> > > i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stroke and natural feel can make those without even trying; pressure or not.

> > >

> > > there's a subconscious aspect to all of this (and i'd bet its 60/40 to blame); but there is something either in your stroke, your line, your approach or something else tangible explaining these putts and 3 jacks.

> > >

> > > someone who is a naturally good putter with a good stroke does not 3 putt; just as someone who is naturally gifted at basketball can seemingly drain mind-less free-throws sun up to sun down.

> > >

> > > i hate to be brutally honest but, just something i was gathering from the novels.

> >

> > Well. Lol. Was waiting for someone to say that. I do not understand .

> >

> >

> > The very moment I say “ I am a good putter “ which is the opposite of what I have been saying ... here it is. The truth. And I suspected this would happen. So why was I wrong for claiming not to be all along ?

> >

> > How can both be correct ? Not a personal attack. Just a puzzled response.

> >

> >

> > And again. I exaggerate. So I can spot when someone else does. I haven’t said I can’t make a 3 footer. I said I missed 3 total under 3 ft. Huge divide.

>

> For the sake of everyone else who read this thread - would it be impolite to ask that you create a separate thread for your mental woes

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I wish you could be in my head from two years ago to now and see the difference in my mindset and self-talk when putting....

You wouldn't believe the difference....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

> > > > >

> > > > > No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

> > > > >

> > > > > To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

> > > > >

> > > > > I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

> > > >

> > > > i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stroke and natural feel can make those without even trying; pressure or not.

> > > >

> > > > there's a subconscious aspect to all of this (and i'd bet its 60/40 to blame); but there is something either in your stroke, your line, your approach or something else tangible explaining these putts and 3 jacks.

> > > >

> > > > someone who is a naturally good putter with a good stroke does not 3 putt; just as someone who is naturally gifted at basketball can seemingly drain mind-less free-throws sun up to sun down.

> > > >

> > > > i hate to be brutally honest but, just something i was gathering from the novels.

> > >

> > > Well. Lol. Was waiting for someone to say that. I do not understand .

> > >

> > >

> > > The very moment I say “ I am a good putter “ which is the opposite of what I have been saying ... here it is. The truth. And I suspected this would happen. So why was I wrong for claiming not to be all along ?

> > >

> > > How can both be correct ? Not a personal attack. Just a puzzled response.

> > >

> > >

> > > And again. I exaggerate. So I can spot when someone else does. I haven’t said I can’t make a 3 footer. I said I missed 3 total under 3 ft. Huge divide.

> >

> > For the sake of everyone else who read this thread - would it be impolite to ask that you create a separate thread for your mental woes?

>

> No worries guys. I won’t darken the door again.

Go read "Putting out of your mind" then you can post about putting again :smile:

• Like 1