WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Yes, we could take this to my putting thread if we want. LOL

It's where I chronicled how I went from awful to pretty damn good with the putter.

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> > > > >

> > > > > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

> > > >

> > > > No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

> > > >

> > > > To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

> > > >

> > > > I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

> > >

> > > i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stroke and natural feel can make those without even trying; pressure or not.

> > >

> > > there's a subconscious aspect to all of this (and i'd bet its 60/40 to blame); but there is something either in your stroke, your line, your approach or something else tangible explaining these putts and 3 jacks.

> > >

> > > someone who is a naturally good putter with a good stroke does not 3 putt; just as someone who is naturally gifted at basketball can seemingly drain mind-less free-throws sun up to sun down.

> > >

> > > i hate to be brutally honest but, just something i was gathering from the novels.

> >

> > Well. Lol. Was waiting for someone to say that. I do not understand .

> >

> >

> > The very moment I say “ I am a good putter “ which is the opposite of what I have been saying ... here it is. The truth. And I suspected this would happen. So why was I wrong for claiming not to be all along ?

> >

> > How can both be correct ? Not a personal attack. Just a puzzled response.

> >

> >

> > And again. I exaggerate. So I can spot when someone else does. I haven’t said I can’t make a 3 footer. I said I missed 3 total under 3 ft. Huge divide.

>

> For the sake of everyone else who read this thread - would it be impolite to ask that you create a separate thread for your mental woes?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter no offense taken and certainly no offense meant from my side.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I am not much of a lecturer so I won’t continue beating the same drum. I wish you luck.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I will finish with this: there isn’t a good putter in the world that has your mindset. And if you don’t think you can control your mindset then I don’t think you’ll get out of the putting hole you’re in. But I hope you do.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No problem. I realize it’s a situation that isn’t really common. And I suppose flipping is around I’d be skeptical too. I’m used to not being able to communicate, and also not being understood or underestimated. I could name quite a few scenarios off the top of my head. But let’s not go down that rabbit hole ( said to myself ).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > To the idea of mindset. I’m still not certain if we disagree or not. Lol.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I tend to think of things as either unfounded truths , and certain truths. It’s an unfounded truth that I am a great putter. I know that I have a great stroke and have loads of natural feel. I’d probably make more putts with my eyes closed. But the results are blocked somehow. So the reality is , I cannot call myself a great putter. Yet. Same as I wouldn’t have called myself a great ballstriker in 2014 when I was wearing a 9 iron out in my back field hitting 170 yard rope hooks , albeit from the middle of the face. Lol. I had zero control. But I knew I’d get there. Same as now. I know I’ll get there. Just have to find the path. Putting throws in a variable which is green reading. The best stroke on earth won’t make anything without the proper read. That’s how I think of it. Lying to myself has never helped me with anything. And I’ve faked it till I’ve made it my whole life. Just have to be careful and humble until you do. Or else you won’t. ( my opinion ).

> > > > >

> > > > > i'm not sure that you're accepting of truths -- if you can't make a 1-3 footer...you cannot possibly have a great stroke with loads of natural feel. someone with a great stroke and natural feel can make those without even trying; pressure or not.

> > > > >

> > > > > there's a subconscious aspect to all of this (and i'd bet its 60/40 to blame); but there is something either in your stroke, your line, your approach or something else tangible explaining these putts and 3 jacks.

> > > > >

> > > > > someone who is a naturally good putter with a good stroke does not 3 putt; just as someone who is naturally gifted at basketball can seemingly drain mind-less free-throws sun up to sun down.

> > > > >

> > > > > i hate to be brutally honest but, just something i was gathering from the novels.

> > > >

> > > > Well. Lol. Was waiting for someone to say that. I do not understand .

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > The very moment I say “ I am a good putter “ which is the opposite of what I have been saying ... here it is. The truth. And I suspected this would happen. So why was I wrong for claiming not to be all along ?

> > > >

> > > > How can both be correct ? Not a personal attack. Just a puzzled response.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > And again. I exaggerate. So I can spot when someone else does. I haven’t said I can’t make a 3 footer. I said I missed 3 total under 3 ft. Huge divide.

> > >

> > > For the sake of everyone else who read this thread - would it be impolite to ask that you create a separate thread for your mental woes?

> >

> > No worries guys. I won’t darken the door again.

>

> Go read "Putting out of your mind" then you can post about putting again :smile:

>

Permission noted.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

to bring this back a bit -

not sure what you guys do for prep leading up to a tournament - but, since monday is the start of a big week; here's what i'm prepping for/schedule for the next few days:

- Today, Wednesday: PGA superstore to get balls, new shoes / then to the putting/short game range at my local course to work on some things.

- Thursday: long range session (150-250 balls) to work on short irons/wedges, mechanics (dialing in feels), and some putting before a round with a friend

- Friday: range session focusing on tee shots (driver will be key at Trump); then some putting practice

- Saturday: light range session/warm-up and then a round of golf with ‘tournament focus’ in mind

- Sunday: rest day – stretching, foam rolling, light run on the treadmill and drinking tons of water to hydrate for the next day.

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I spent like 2 hours at the range yesterday working on 3 wood and driver. My iron play has never been better, but as mentioned that same swing (a draw that would make bubba jealous) really boxes me in a corner on tight courses with my long clubs. I feel very claustrophobic on the tee box as I have to start my balls too far left to make it work

I think I have found a couple of things that help me turn a huge draw into a small one (mostly related to alignment/foot positions). But my back really hurts today LOL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @gioguy21 said:

> to bring this back a bit -

>

> not sure what you guys do for prep leading up to a tournament - but, since monday is the start of a big week; here's what i'm prepping for/schedule for the next few days:

>

> - Today, Wednesday: PGA superstore to get balls, new shoes / then to the putting/short game range at my local course to work on some things.

> - Thursday: long range session (150-250 balls) to work on short irons/wedges, mechanics (dialing in feels), and some putting before a round with a friend

> - Friday: range session focusing on tee shots (driver will be key at Trump); then some putting practice

> - Saturday: light range session/warm-up and then a round of golf with ‘tournament focus’ in mind

> - Sunday: rest day – stretching, foam rolling, light run on the treadmill and drinking tons of water to hydrate for the next day.

>

My schedule is bit impacted, partly due to life lol. Have my tournament next Monday Tueday.

Today, Wednesday - Friday: I really need to get some range work in, As I am not confident in my tee to green play at the moment. The course we are playing is on the narrow side for my my game. Going to need to find the shot of the week I can rely on off the tee. I also need to work in some wedges. The only putting I can get in, would be these days plus at home on the putting mat.

I do a lot of mobility work with my Stick mobility sticks, so will be focusing on that stuff every night for a little bit to stay limber.

Saturday - Sunday - I have to party LOL, but whatever enjoy life lol

Monday I have a 7:30AM tee time so have to leave my place by 5:30AM (hour plus drive to Monterey)

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Played my Met Am qualifier today. Short story - shot even, 71. Currently T6 with half the field in. 9 and ties make it. Not looking too promising. I thought +1 would be good.

Long story - I was playing the course blind. Spent a bit of time watching the hole flyovers on their website (Inwood CC) and on google maps looking at lines and club selections etc. Hole by hole:

1 - short par 4 about 345. I hit a 3 iron to lay up short of the fairway bunkers. 141 in and I hit a 9 iron on the green to about 35 feet. Putted up to about 6 inches. 4

2 - short par 4 quite a hard dogleg right and I couldn't see round the corner. 370 or so. Hit another 3 iron off the tee in the fairway and had 144 in this time. Hit another 9 iron but fanned it and wound up on the right fringe to a left pin. 45 feet, 2 putts, but only counts as one :) 4

3 - par 5 about 515. Couldn't see the fairway from the tee. Trees right and a big bunker surrounded by fescue left. I hit it left of the bunker, but saw a bounce. Hit a provisional way right. Found the first one just in the edge of fescue and dug it out. 145 in (first three holes had the same distance in to within 4 yards). 9 iron again. I had read that the green was wild, and boy they were not kidding. Flag in the middle right of the green but about 10 feet from a precipice off to the left. Got a bit safe from that and then fanned it well right. Discovered at that point it was also into the wind. Short right about 10 yards from the front edge. Putted it up to about 3 feet and made it for a 5. Phew!

4 - par 5 about 550. Driver just in the right semi, but drew a good lie. 265 flag and 255 front edge. 3 wood to just short and right. Hit a pretty good chip to about 7 feet and holed it for a 4.

5 - par 5 about 510. Driver in the left fairway. 225 front and 241 flag. Hit my 2 iron a little left and came up short (unsurprisingly - trouble right and I didn't fancy 3 wood). pitch on from about 25 yards and it stuck. 25 feet left and 2 putts later I had another 5.

6 - par 3 170. 7 iron to about 12 feet and holed it. 2

7 - par 3 198. 4 iron and I tugged it towards a bunker. Turned out the green opened up behind the bunker and I was on there. 2 putts from about 40 feet and 3.

8 - par 4 420. Driver down the left fairway. 139 in. Pin cut tight left with a nasty looking bunker left of the green. 9 iron aimed it about 4 yards right and then fanned it again. 50 foot putt over a huge hump. Rolled it down to 4 feet and holed that. 4

9 - par 4 420 again. Fescue right and light rough left. Aimed left edge of the fairway and pulled it 3 yards into the left rough. Wedge from 123 to about 30 feet and 2 putts. 4

35 against a par of 37 on the front nine. No bogeys. Pretty pleased.

10 - par 3 108. Tier in the green and the pin was up top. Water short, but not really an issue. My 52 landed 5 feet left of the flag and maybe a foot short. Then it reappeared on the tier and rolled all the way down the green and off the front edge on the fringe. If that had been shaved down it would have been swimming. Hit a great putt from the fringe up the tier to about 4 feet and holed that. 3

11 - par 4 435. Driver up the left fairway. 173 in and I hit a 6 iron that stood up in the wind (all 5mph of it). Came up about 10 yards short of the front edge. Putt from there to a foot. 4

12 - par 4 460. Drive was tight. Bunker left and death left of that and bunker right with OB right of that. I didn't feel comfortable at all especially given I hadn't hit my driver that well. Hit a 2 iron decent shot down the right fairway, but left me a long way in. 225 flag and 216 front but a little downhill and downwind. 3 iron. Club entered the ground about 4 inches behind the ball. 60 yard pitch that I also left short of the green after sticking the club in the ground. Putt from the fringe up to 10 feet and holed it for a 5. First bogey. Hohum

13 - par 4 340. Bunkers everywhere, so I hit a 4 iron to be short of them. Good shot. 123 and hit easy wedge that I got a fraction thin (can't think why) and it landed by the flag and bounced to the fringe again. Putted down to a foot and made 4.

14 - par 3 149. I thought the wind was across, but it was into. Hit an 8 iron that landed on the green but spun back into a sprinkler. Took a drop and had the fringe right behind the ball. I still putted it (chipping = not good), but misread it and it wandered off about 5 feet right of the hole. I looked at it and the way the hole was cut it looked like it would break right. The ground looked flat and I stood and it felt flat too, so I decided I'd hit it left half and dead weight and if it turned it would still go in. It turned. A lot. I missed the hole about a hole outside. 4 yuck.

15 - par 4 uphill upwind 465. Driver down the middle. 187 flag. 4 iron to the right fringe. Got a little bit tentative and left it four feet short, but curled that one in from the top lip. 4

16 - par 4 back t'other way. 370. Dogleg right with death right and I just didn't know how much it opened up (a lot). 3 iron to be sure of being short of a fairway bunker on the outside of the dogleg and once again the club went in the ground about 3 inches behind the ball (jeez). 202 in from the front edge of the fairway (longer than I had on the previous hole that was into the wind and 95 yards longer). 4 iron to the right half of the green. 40 feet. 2 putts. 4

17 - par 4 405. Bunker at 290, shouldn't be a problem. Hit it well left into what could have been trouble. Provisional down the middle. Found it behind some trees. 120 to the middle of the green. I hit a half hooky 8 iron that found the front right of the green. Pin was right at the back left on a small tier. The tier covered the back left quarter and I had to putt up the corner of the tier. It was one of those miss it a foot right and it'll break right, but miss it a foot left and it'll break left. My line was about 3 feet right of the hole from 65 feet away. Got the pace perfect, but I pushed it a hair and it didn't break and I wound up 5 feet right of the hole. Missed it. 5. First 3 putt. Gah.

18 - par 4 408. There is a plaque on this hole where Bobby Jones hit a 2 iron on the green in the US Open. I think the tee must have been in a different place though. Fescue left and trees right. I aimed right center and hit a pushy blocky one into the trees. There's a ditch right in front of the green. I'm walking down to my ball and there's an opening in the branches that are hanging down and I'm thinking maybe I can hit something under, but with the water there I was not feeling it. Then I checked distance and I had 129. Ball was lying well and if I got it up quickly I could get over the corner of the tree in front of me. Doing that would mean going at the front left pin. Decided it was shit or bust time, so I went for it. It came out perfectly and I hit it to 6 feet. Read it right half, pushed it to the edge and it went in the middle of the hole. 3.

If anyone is still reading you have more patience than most. Aside from a handful of poorly struck iron shots and a couple of skewy drives, I was very pleased with how I hit it. I hit 10 greens, but a further 7 I was on the fringe(ish). Only one hole I was hitting other than putter for my GIR+1 shot and that was a very hard par 4 I was basically playing as a 5 anyway. 27 putts from on the green, but I used my putter 34 times. My long putting was fantastic. My short putting was decent. Now I just have to see if by some miracle it holds on. 5 people already under par though. Boo! :(

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @gioguy21 said:

> to bring this back a bit -

>

> not sure what you guys do for prep leading up to a tournament - but, since monday is the start of a big week; here's what i'm prepping for/schedule for the next few days:

>

> - Today, Wednesday: PGA superstore to get balls, new shoes / then to the putting/short game range at my local course to work on some things.

> - Thursday: long range session (150-250 balls) to work on short irons/wedges, mechanics (dialing in feels), and some putting before a round with a friend

> - Friday: range session focusing on tee shots (driver will be key at Trump); then some putting practice

> - Saturday: light range session/warm-up and then a round of golf with ‘tournament focus’ in mind

> - Sunday: rest day – stretching, foam rolling, light run on the treadmill and drinking tons of water to hydrate for the next day.

>

My prep for this morning was to go to the range on Sunday afternoon for 20 minutes and not to drink anything last night. I did check google maps and the course website to see what I would be facing. I have two small kids, so my time to do prep for tournaments is very limited.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Played my Met Am qualifier today. Short story - shot even, 71. Currently T6 with half the field in. 9 and ties make it. Not looking too promising. I thought +1 would be good.

>

> Long story - I was playing the course blind. Spent a bit of time watching the hole flyovers on their website (Inwood CC) and on google maps looking at lines and club selections etc. Hole by hole:

> 1 - short par 4 about 345. I hit a 3 iron to lay up short of the fairway bunkers. 141 in and I hit a 9 iron on the green to about 35 feet. Putted up to about 6 inches. 4

> 2 - short par 4 quite a hard dogleg right and I couldn't see round the corner. 370 or so. Hit another 3 iron off the tee in the fairway and had 144 in this time. Hit another 9 iron but fanned it and wound up on the right fringe to a left pin. 45 feet, 2 putts, but only counts as one :) 4

> 3 - par 5 about 515. Couldn't see the fairway from the tee. Trees right and a big bunker surrounded by fescue left. I hit it left of the bunker, but saw a bounce. Hit a provisional way right. Found the first one just in the edge of fescue and dug it out. 145 in (first three holes had the same distance in to within 4 yards). 9 iron again. I had read that the green was wild, and boy they were not kidding. Flag in the middle right of the green but about 10 feet from a precipice off to the left. Got a bit safe from that and then fanned it well right. Discovered at that point it was also into the wind. Short right about 10 yards from the front edge. Putted it up to about 3 feet and made it for a 5. Phew!

> 4 - par 5 about 550. Driver just in the right semi, but drew a good lie. 265 flag and 255 front edge. 3 wood to just short and right. Hit a pretty good chip to about 7 feet and holed it for a 4.

> 5 - par 5 about 510. Driver in the left fairway. 225 front and 241 flag. Hit my 2 iron a little left and came up short (unsurprisingly - trouble right and I didn't fancy 3 wood). pitch on from about 25 yards and it stuck. 25 feet left and 2 putts later I had another 5.

> 6 - par 3 170. 7 iron to about 12 feet and holed it. 2

> 7 - par 3 198. 4 iron and I tugged it towards a bunker. Turned out the green opened up behind the bunker and I was on there. 2 putts from about 40 feet and 3.

> 8 - par 4 420. Driver down the left fairway. 139 in. Pin cut tight left with a nasty looking bunker left of the green. 9 iron aimed it about 4 yards right and then fanned it again. 50 foot putt over a huge hump. Rolled it down to 4 feet and holed that. 4

> 9 - par 4 420 again. Fescue right and light rough left. Aimed left edge of the fairway and pulled it 3 yards into the left rough. Wedge from 123 to about 30 feet and 2 putts. 4

> 35 against a par of 37 on the front nine. No bogeys. Pretty pleased.

> 10 - par 3 108. Tier in the green and the pin was up top. Water short, but not really an issue. My 52 landed 5 feet left of the flag and maybe a foot short. Then it reappeared on the tier and rolled all the way down the green and off the front edge on the fringe. If that had been shaved down it would have been swimming. Hit a great putt from the fringe up the tier to about 4 feet and holed that. 3

> 11 - par 4 435. Driver up the left fairway. 173 in and I hit a 6 iron that stood up in the wind (all 5mph of it). Came up about 10 yards short of the front edge. Putt from there to a foot. 4

> 12 - par 4 460. Drive was tight. Bunker left and death left of that and bunker right with OB right of that. I didn't feel comfortable at all especially given I hadn't hit my driver that well. Hit a 2 iron decent shot down the right fairway, but left me a long way in. 225 flag and 216 front but a little downhill and downwind. 3 iron. Club entered the ground about 4 inches behind the ball. 60 yard pitch that I also left short of the green after sticking the club in the ground. Putt from the fringe up to 10 feet and holed it for a 5. First bogey. Hohum

> 13 - par 4 340. Bunkers everywhere, so I hit a 4 iron to be short of them. Good shot. 123 and hit easy wedge that I got a fraction thin (can't think why) and it landed by the flag and bounced to the fringe again. Putted down to a foot and made 4.

> 14 - par 3 149. I thought the wind was across, but it was into. Hit an 8 iron that landed on the green but spun back into a sprinkler. Took a drop and had the fringe right behind the ball. I still putted it (chipping = not good), but misread it and it wandered off about 5 feet right of the hole. I looked at it and the way the hole was cut it looked like it would break right. The ground looked flat and I stood and it felt flat too, so I decided I'd hit it left half and dead weight and if it turned it would still go in. It turned. A lot. I missed the hole about a hole outside. 4 yuck.

> 15 - par 4 uphill upwind 465. Driver down the middle. 187 flag. 4 iron to the right fringe. Got a little bit tentative and left it four feet short, but curled that one in from the top lip. 4

> 16 - par 4 back t'other way. 370. Dogleg right with death right and I just didn't know how much it opened up (a lot). 3 iron to be sure of being short of a fairway bunker on the outside of the dogleg and once again the club went in the ground about 3 inches behind the ball (jeez). 202 in from the front edge of the fairway (longer than I had on the previous hole that was into the wind and 95 yards longer). 4 iron to the right half of the green. 40 feet. 2 putts. 4

> 17 - par 4 405. Bunker at 290, shouldn't be a problem. Hit it well left into what could have been trouble. Provisional down the middle. Found it behind some trees. 120 to the middle of the green. I hit a half hooky 8 iron that found the front right of the green. Pin was right at the back left on a small tier. The tier covered the back left quarter and I had to putt up the corner of the tier. It was one of those miss it a foot right and it'll break right, but miss it a foot left and it'll break left. My line was about 3 feet right of the hole from 65 feet away. Got the pace perfect, but I pushed it a hair and it didn't break and I wound up 5 feet right of the hole. Missed it. 5. First 3 putt. Gah.

> 18 - par 4 408. There is a plaque on this hole where Bobby Jones hit a 2 iron on the green in the US Open. I think the tee must have been in a different place though. Fescue left and trees right. I aimed right center and hit a pushy blocky one into the trees. There's a ditch right in front of the green. I'm walking down to my ball and there's an opening in the branches that are hanging down and I'm thinking maybe I can hit something under, but with the water there I was not feeling it. Then I checked distance and I had 129. Ball was lying well and if I got it up quickly I could get over the corner of the tree in front of me. Doing that would mean going at the front left pin. Decided it was **** or bust time, so I went for it. It came out perfectly and I hit it to 6 feet. Read it right half, pushed it to the edge and it went in the middle of the hole. 3.

>

> If anyone is still reading you have more patience than most. Aside from a handful of poorly struck iron shots and a couple of skewy drives, I was very pleased with how I hit it. I hit 10 greens, but a further 7 I was on the fringe(ish). Only one hole I was hitting other than putter for my GIR+1 shot and that was a very hard par 4 I was basically playing as a 5 anyway. 27 putts from on the green, but I used my putter 34 times. My long putting was fantastic. My short putting was decent. Now I just have to see if by some miracle it holds on. 5 people already under par though. Boo! :(

>

I hope for your sake you got buckets2 s permission for that post before hand. ?‍♂️Lol.

Way to hang in there. Fingers crossed here for you to squeak in !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Read the whole thing. Love it!! Hope you make it, bud. :-)

Loved the par on 10. When you rip one all the way off a green, if can be demoralizing. Way to suck it up and grind. :-)

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Played my Met Am qualifier today. Short story - shot even, 71. Currently T6 with half the field in. 9 and ties make it. Not looking too promising. I thought +1 would be good.

>

> Long story - I was playing the course blind. Spent a bit of time watching the hole flyovers on their website (Inwood CC) and on google maps looking at lines and club selections etc. Hole by hole:

> 1 - short par 4 about 345. I hit a 3 iron to lay up short of the fairway bunkers. 141 in and I hit a 9 iron on the green to about 35 feet. Putted up to about 6 inches. 4

> 2 - short par 4 quite a hard dogleg right and I couldn't see round the corner. 370 or so. Hit another 3 iron off the tee in the fairway and had 144 in this time. Hit another 9 iron but fanned it and wound up on the right fringe to a left pin. 45 feet, 2 putts, but only counts as one :) 4

> 3 - par 5 about 515. Couldn't see the fairway from the tee. Trees right and a big bunker surrounded by fescue left. I hit it left of the bunker, but saw a bounce. Hit a provisional way right. Found the first one just in the edge of fescue and dug it out. 145 in (first three holes had the same distance in to within 4 yards). 9 iron again. I had read that the green was wild, and boy they were not kidding. Flag in the middle right of the green but about 10 feet from a precipice off to the left. Got a bit safe from that and then fanned it well right. Discovered at that point it was also into the wind. Short right about 10 yards from the front edge. Putted it up to about 3 feet and made it for a 5. Phew!

> 4 - par 5 about 550. Driver just in the right semi, but drew a good lie. 265 flag and 255 front edge. 3 wood to just short and right. Hit a pretty good chip to about 7 feet and holed it for a 4.

> 5 - par 5 about 510. Driver in the left fairway. 225 front and 241 flag. Hit my 2 iron a little left and came up short (unsurprisingly - trouble right and I didn't fancy 3 wood). pitch on from about 25 yards and it stuck. 25 feet left and 2 putts later I had another 5.

> 6 - par 3 170. 7 iron to about 12 feet and holed it. 2

> 7 - par 3 198. 4 iron and I tugged it towards a bunker. Turned out the green opened up behind the bunker and I was on there. 2 putts from about 40 feet and 3.

> 8 - par 4 420. Driver down the left fairway. 139 in. Pin cut tight left with a nasty looking bunker left of the green. 9 iron aimed it about 4 yards right and then fanned it again. 50 foot putt over a huge hump. Rolled it down to 4 feet and holed that. 4

> 9 - par 4 420 again. Fescue right and light rough left. Aimed left edge of the fairway and pulled it 3 yards into the left rough. Wedge from 123 to about 30 feet and 2 putts. 4

> 35 against a par of 37 on the front nine. No bogeys. Pretty pleased.

> 10 - par 3 108. Tier in the green and the pin was up top. Water short, but not really an issue. My 52 landed 5 feet left of the flag and maybe a foot short. Then it reappeared on the tier and rolled all the way down the green and off the front edge on the fringe. If that had been shaved down it would have been swimming. Hit a great putt from the fringe up the tier to about 4 feet and holed that. 3

> 11 - par 4 435. Driver up the left fairway. 173 in and I hit a 6 iron that stood up in the wind (all 5mph of it). Came up about 10 yards short of the front edge. Putt from there to a foot. 4

> 12 - par 4 460. Drive was tight. Bunker left and death left of that and bunker right with OB right of that. I didn't feel comfortable at all especially given I hadn't hit my driver that well. Hit a 2 iron decent shot down the right fairway, but left me a long way in. 225 flag and 216 front but a little downhill and downwind. 3 iron. Club entered the ground about 4 inches behind the ball. 60 yard pitch that I also left short of the green after sticking the club in the ground. Putt from the fringe up to 10 feet and holed it for a 5. First bogey. Hohum

> 13 - par 4 340. Bunkers everywhere, so I hit a 4 iron to be short of them. Good shot. 123 and hit easy wedge that I got a fraction thin (can't think why) and it landed by the flag and bounced to the fringe again. Putted down to a foot and made 4.

> 14 - par 3 149. I thought the wind was across, but it was into. Hit an 8 iron that landed on the green but spun back into a sprinkler. Took a drop and had the fringe right behind the ball. I still putted it (chipping = not good), but misread it and it wandered off about 5 feet right of the hole. I looked at it and the way the hole was cut it looked like it would break right. The ground looked flat and I stood and it felt flat too, so I decided I'd hit it left half and dead weight and if it turned it would still go in. It turned. A lot. I missed the hole about a hole outside. 4 yuck.

> 15 - par 4 uphill upwind 465. Driver down the middle. 187 flag. 4 iron to the right fringe. Got a little bit tentative and left it four feet short, but curled that one in from the top lip. 4

> 16 - par 4 back t'other way. 370. Dogleg right with death right and I just didn't know how much it opened up (a lot). 3 iron to be sure of being short of a fairway bunker on the outside of the dogleg and once again the club went in the ground about 3 inches behind the ball (jeez). 202 in from the front edge of the fairway (longer than I had on the previous hole that was into the wind and 95 yards longer). 4 iron to the right half of the green. 40 feet. 2 putts. 4

> 17 - par 4 405. Bunker at 290, shouldn't be a problem. Hit it well left into what could have been trouble. Provisional down the middle. Found it behind some trees. 120 to the middle of the green. I hit a half hooky 8 iron that found the front right of the green. Pin was right at the back left on a small tier. The tier covered the back left quarter and I had to putt up the corner of the tier. It was one of those miss it a foot right and it'll break right, but miss it a foot left and it'll break left. My line was about 3 feet right of the hole from 65 feet away. Got the pace perfect, but I pushed it a hair and it didn't break and I wound up 5 feet right of the hole. Missed it. 5. First 3 putt. Gah.

> 18 - par 4 408. There is a plaque on this hole where Bobby Jones hit a 2 iron on the green in the US Open. I think the tee must have been in a different place though. Fescue left and trees right. I aimed right center and hit a pushy blocky one into the trees. There's a ditch right in front of the green. I'm walking down to my ball and there's an opening in the branches that are hanging down and I'm thinking maybe I can hit something under, but with the water there I was not feeling it. Then I checked distance and I had 129. Ball was lying well and if I got it up quickly I could get over the corner of the tree in front of me. Doing that would mean going at the front left pin. Decided it was **** or bust time, so I went for it. It came out perfectly and I hit it to 6 feet. Read it right half, pushed it to the edge and it went in the middle of the hole. 3.

>

> If anyone is still reading you have more patience than most. Aside from a handful of poorly struck iron shots and a couple of skewy drives, I was very pleased with how I hit it. I hit 10 greens, but a further 7 I was on the fringe(ish). Only one hole I was hitting other than putter for my GIR+1 shot and that was a very hard par 4 I was basically playing as a 5 anyway. 27 putts from on the green, but I used my putter 34 times. My long putting was fantastic. My short putting was decent. Now I just have to see if by some miracle it holds on. 5 people already under par though. Boo! :(

>

• Like 1

> @Obee said:

> Read the whole thing. Love it!! Hope you make it, bud. :-)

>

> Loved the par on 10. When you rip one all the way off a green, if can be demoralizing. Way to suck it up and grind. :-)

Thanks Obee, I'm actually pretty good at not getting worked up about things like that. If I hit a good shot that winds up in trouble I'm generally pleased that I hit a good shot. Those things will come around. I hate hitting bad shots, even if they wind up going well (the first hole in one I got, I got stuck with a 4 iron and saved it with my hands - went really high, took two bounces and disappeared - my playing partners were more excited than I was). My reaction was mostly "tut, that'll teach me to clean my grooves won't it". I also thought I probably should have hit a little PW rather than a full 52, but my little shots aren't so good, while my full ones are. I can then run into trouble if I have clean grooves though :)

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Finished T7 so I’m in. Now have a problem though. It’s 8/1-4. I’m playing another tournament 7/29-30 at Bethpage black and a Met Open qualifier on 7/31. I don’t have enough time off to play all of them. What to do...

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

First time posting in this thread.

Played a qualifier Monday, went into it thinking the cut would be +1 or +2.

Got off to a horrible start, doubling my first hole after a bad tee shot and stupid decision on my 2nd, and was +4 thru 6.

Righted the ship a bit and was looking at +3 thru 11 after birdies on 18 and 2 (started on 10). Was happy with myself for keeping my head in it and really felt like I had a decent shot at that point, especially with my last hole being a 520 yard par 5 and was hitting it pretty well at this point.

And then I hit 12 13 and 14 all in regulation to 25 feet or less and bogey'ed all 3 of them. It was a complete lapse of concentration or something. On 12 I had about 22 feet and sloped decently downhill on very fast greens, and just whacked it. The second I hit it, before even seeing the ball, I knew what I had done and sure enough, 12 feet back for par.

Not exactly sure what happened, it is like my concentration just disappeared on the greens for those 3 holes.

There's always next year =/

__> @vietnameeh said:

> > @"Ray Jackson" said:

> > Qualified for and then played the NCGA Strokeplay the last two days. Course was rated 73.1/140 and it was foggy (couldnt see the second green on a par 3) and cold.

> > I didn't plan well (only got the tee times 6 days before) and ended up having to drive the 2.5hrs to Poppy Hills from my house before my 7.52am tee time yesterday, early start! Back got tight in the middle of the round and started a quick pull series of drives on holes 10-14. Ended up shooting 79 and was 84th/156. Top 40 and ties go through to final (third round). Today starting on 10th tee at 12.52 (stayed relatively close overnight) and i'm nervous as heck again. Low pull drive but get away with it, 190 into the green, brain freeze and flair a 5 iron short right leaving me a 30yd bunker shot, leave it 40ft for par and then 3 putt, double bogey start and i'm done. I relax and hit the ball better but with par 3s playing 193 to 229yds I don't score well and shoot 78. Cut line ends at 151. Average score over all rounds for the 2 days was 78.48. First day 3 scores sub par.

> > Lots of college kids in this one, no chance of winning but should have made the cut.

> > First season of tournament golf, have to overcome the nerves and sort this back out. Also long irons miss is flair right cause I sway into the ball when under pressure. Fix those two things and I have a chance of being there on the third day next year. Learning a lot from this first year and my expectations are low, Maybe I can get somewhere decent by when Masters age starts in 3.5 years.

> Hi Ray,

> I just played poppy hills yesterday to get a practice round in for the NCGA public links championship next week (my first time since they redid the course). Any advice? My game isn't really suited for tree lined courses (LOL) I think I spent most of my day in the trees even when I hit 3 wood off the tee. The course played firm, I felt like everything ran when it hit the fairway, I didn't I see any rough, it was literally fairway then native grass, so the ball would run into the trees or hazard.

> I don't see myself hitting driver all too much, but man my confidence isn't all that great going into the event. I might be hitting hybrid a lot (250-260 yard club), but I am still leaving myself a mid to long iron in .... sigh golf is hard.

>

I would say yes hit whatever you need to find the fairway first. Even if it leaves longer clubs into the green on many holes when it lands short of the green it will get a decent bounce forward and roll on. You dont need or probably want to fly shots onto some greens anyway. PM me your email address and i can send you a guide of where to land the ball on the edges of the greens (left/right and long/short etc) if your coming in with some longer clubs.

On some greens you are going to be aiming into sections of the green away from the flag. You need to chip and putt really well.

I’m up and super sleepy ?

First tee time out off of 10. I’m surprisingly not as nervous as usual but I also have no expectations lol.

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1811626

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Had a 2-man best ball match over the weekend against a top 3 Am in our state and a solid D1 player. I didn't play well...adrenaline and humidity...was flying the ball 10-20 yards further than usual. 175 yard pitching wedge, 120 yard lob wedge were the two standouts....bleh. 5 _really_ bad shots, but lots of good ones that just went long; I think I ended up at 78 with my own ball. Made my pars and birdies when needed for the win and had an "A" driving performance day, so while I played poorly overall lots of positives - just need to get under the gun more often. I think this was my 4th competitive event ever outside of twilight league...excited for more to come.

> @Buckets2 said:

> Had a 2-man best ball match over the weekend against a top 3 Am in our state and a solid D1 player. I didn't play well...adrenaline and humidity...was flying the ball 10-20 yards further than usual. 175 yard pitching wedge, 120 yard lob wedge were the two standouts....bleh. 5 _really_ bad shots, but lots of good ones that just went long; I think I ended up at 78 with my own ball. Made my pars and birdies when needed for the win and had an "A" driving performance day, so while I played poorly overall lots of positives - just need to get under the gun more often. I think this was my 4th competitive event ever outside of twilight league...excited for more to come.

Well done @Buckets2 way to go!

Well I came in DFL day one a nice 93.

The day started with thick fog. We could not see in front of us. The officials told us this fog is thicker than what they had last weekend for the amateur stroke play. I honestly don’t know what to say about my game. I just didn’t have the game today and it showed, this was not the course to have nothing. I stuck to my plan but I literally sprayed all my shots. I hit mostly hybrid and 3 wood off the tee but it was ugly and it trickled down to my irons and short game. I started off the first hole (#10) with a triple... and that kind of sets the tone for my whole round. There’s a 7,8 and 9 on my card and a slew of bogies. Lost a few balls due to me spraying it and hitting trees and none of could see due to the fog

It’s weird because I’m not upset, it just really opened my eyes that I am not prepared and need to rethink my game when things go south. I don’t have a go to shot instead I have a two way miss. So it was hard for me to miss to the correct side which was really important off the tee and approaches. Thanks @"Ray Jackson" those greens sheets really helped when I was able to make contact with the ball.

Unfortunately I’m going to sound like a wimp but I’ll be going into work tomorrow, as I was using sick hours to play. Just not worth it for me right now to use up my hours if I’m not playing that’s great. I’ll use the gas money for lessons

Back to the grind! The course was definitely playable just sucks I couldn’t keep it in play. Low round was -1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> Well I came in DFL day one a nice 93.

> The day started with thick fog. We could not see in front of us. The officials told us this fog is thicker than what they had last weekend for the amateur stroke play. I honestly don’t know what to say about my game. I just didn’t have the game today and it showed, this was not the course to have nothing. I stuck to my plan but I literally sprayed all my shots. I hit mostly hybrid and 3 wood off the tee but it was ugly and it trickled down to my irons and short game. I started off the first hole (#10) with a triple... and that kind of sets the tone for my whole round. There’s a 7,8 and 9 on my card and a slew of bogies. Lost a few balls due to me spraying it and hitting trees and none of could see due to the fog

> It’s weird because I’m not upset, it just really opened my eyes that I am not prepared and need to rethink my game when things go south. I don’t have a go to shot instead I have a two way miss. So it was hard for me to miss to the correct side which was really important off the tee and approaches. Thanks @"Ray Jackson" those greens sheets really helped when I was able to make contact with the ball.

>

> Unfortunately I’m going to sound like a wimp but I’ll be going into work tomorrow, as I was using sick hours to play. Just not worth it for me right now to use up my hours if I’m not playing that’s great. I’ll use the gas money for lessons

>

> Back to the grind! The course was definitely playable just sucks I couldn’t keep it in play. Low round was -1

It happens. Rory, Duval, Holmes etc etc. Learn what you can from it...onward and upward!!

@vietnameeh OK Bruh, if you're not hurt we've got to pick it up tomorrow! You can do it.

*Edit* Way to keep your head up report back here and make a decision going forward.

Of course I want to "help" here's what I've got for ya. Seems like you played better at a different level of nervousness. I think some of the golf guru's talk about it in their mental game stuff. Different golfers play better at different levels of not even sure what the word they use is... excitement. So on a 10 scale might be fear for your mortal life. Fright or flight. and a 1 or 2 might be disinterested.

I think going into your other round you were prepared with your game plan but you had rehearsed it, weren't sure how the scores were gonna go this round... maybe your alertness was a little below that.

Either way congrats at qualifying and working on your game so hard. Keep us updated Sir good going!

Ya going to take a little break my left thumb has been acting up lately and it’s a little concerning. The pain has gotten worst, it didn’t effect my score but makes me wonder if something is up with my swing. I can’t move it too freely without sharp pain now. So going to lay low for a bit

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> Ya going to take a little break my left thumb has been acting up lately and it’s a little concerning. The pain has gotten worst, it didn’t effect my score but makes me wonder if something is up with my swing. I can’t move it too freely without sharp pain now. So going to lay low for a bit

During our morning round in the stroke play it was bad enough, with v low visibility (170 yd par 3 second hole we couldn't see the green) so I can't imagine if they said it was worse!!

I hear ya on a course where there is little room for a miss. You have to avoid the bunkers that are short of greenside and the trees (tree means 30 yd punch shot). I'm back down there in Oct for the fourball and I already know which holes I'm hitting 2 iron off the tee, will leave me a long iron in but if hit short and on the correct side of the green then I don't have to be too precise.

@Vietnameeh give the thumb a rest and come back stronger. In the meantime work on the putting and chips around the green and the game will be better as the pressure won't be on the approach irons as much. I had a left thumb problem earlier this year, played through but got lucky as the swelling went down but I still have some soreness, think its a lingering tendon issue.

> @vietnameeh said:

> I’m up and super sleepy ?

>

> First tee time out off of 10. I’m surprisingly not as nervous as usual but I also have no expectations lol.

>

> https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1811626

>

Looks like they played #6 off the same tee as for us on the second day of the strokeplay, beast of a par 3 at 223yds and no where to land it but front right edge and hope for the best, not surprised it played 3rd hardest hole for you guys today. 10 is a bitch of a hole early in the morning, cant lose it right and trees left, and then have to keep the second shot left or you face a 40yd bunker shot to a green that slopes off the back. I almost think its better to play for an up and down par from just short of the green and play accordingly from the tee.

> @"Ray Jackson" said:

> > @vietnameeh said:

> > I’m up and super sleepy ?

> >

> > First tee time out off of 10. I’m surprisingly not as nervous as usual but I also have no expectations lol.

> >

> > https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1811626

> >

>

> Looks like they played #6 off the same tee as for us on the second day of the strokeplay, beast of a par 3 at 223yds and no where to land it but front right edge and hope for the best, not surprised it played 3rd hardest hole for you guys today. 10 is a **** of a hole early in the morning, cant lose it right and trees left, and then have to keep the second shot left or you face a 40yd bunker shot to a green that slopes off the back. I almost think its better to play for an up and down par from just short of the green and play accordingly from the tee.

I started on 10, flared it right into the hazard with 3 wood. Surprisingly the spotter heard and found it. took a drop, punched out to 50 yards to try and get up and down for bogey. Pin was left middle. I tried to play left and short. bounced over and left myself some weird down hill fairway lie short side chip.....tried chipping into the hill and the hill grabbed the ball too much and stayed up on the hill I then proceeded to make my 7 LOL. #6 was a beast, but everyone in my group played it correctly except me LOL, they ran it up the right side and all had good birdie looks. I flared my 4 iron in the trees.

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I have a heck of a week next week. Monday/Tuesday is a 36 hole event at Bethpage Black. Top 40 & ties I think it is make round 2. Likely somewhere around 79 or 80 will get through the cut. We play the blue tees. Not all the way back, but it's a lot of golf course. Haven't played it in a while so I'm not sure what the rough is going to be like. Hopefully they've cut it back a bit. We'll see. Two years ago I made the cut quite comfortably (despite a triple on 18) with a 77. Last year I played pretty poorly and shot 81 to miss by 1.

Then Wednesday I have the Met Open qualifier at Seawane. I've played the course a couple of times on very windy days. Curious to see it when you can stand up straight so fingers crossed on that front. It's not an easy golf course at all. Trouble all over the place. It's a pretty big field and 14&ties will qualify, but the standard is likely pretty good. Guessing this one will be 71 or 72 to get in. That'll be about 14 shots better than the two times I've played this place.

Then on Thursday I have the Met Amateur. I'm a little nervous about this one. It's at Hudson National, which I've never played. The website and google maps make it look tight, unforgiving and very long. The hole yardages are like 488 (par 4), 213, 431, 388 (uphill), 457, 576, 385, 256, 574, 428, 174, 511 (par 4 obviously), 193, 545, 443, 251, 339, 499 (also a par 4). Par 70 and about 7,100 yards. Lovely. My long irons and fairway woods are going to get a beating (if I can hit the fairways). And pressure on my short game, which is not good. As you can tell, I'm feeling confident. 36 holes of apparently very hilly and tough walk. Oh and the field is super strong. I count at least 10 people in the WAGR top 1000 and virtually everyone exempt from qualifying is at least WAGR ranked. On the upside, my expectations aren't high and I should be well in the swing of things from the previous three days. And if I do well then I could wind up on WAGR myself. That's quite exciting. The course is also in the top 100 in the US according to at least one magazine, so hopefully it's good fun.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Played the cash game today and shot 76 (+4). Had a late night and didn't sleep well. I had been working on some things with my swing (trying to increase pressure on the outer left edge of my left foot in transition). I didn't get to work on it on Friday and didn't get much time this AM to work on it before the round.

I went OB on #8 (god awful swing), but made bogey (they let us drop from OB). That put me +3 thru 8. Then I birdie 9, make a fantastic eagle on 10 (striped a driver, flushed a 4-iron to 18-feet and sunk the putt). That gets me to even. Then I birdie 12 (-1).

My elbow flared on #13. I actually didn't hit a bad drive, just a little bit of a pull and it went O.B. Then my back/hip with the elbow/shoulder was shot. Go OB on #14 and make another double. (+3). From there, it was bothering me the rest of the round. #15 I crushed a drive that got no roll. Took a good swing with a 56* but the mud on the ball caused the ball to cut right. Most of my swings were gimpy.

It's really when the right hip and right lower back go out that's the main issue. Pain shoots all the way down to the foot and really hurts in the back of the knee and the foot feels like I just got done running a marathon. Then the elbow stings and well...it's not good.

Silver lining is that those gimpy, favoring the elbow swings produced better shots than in the past when I had to favor the elbow. I also putted well for the most part. I probably gained about +1.5 strokes putting. I had some pulled putts here and there. Only missed one very makeable putt. I plan on getting on CAPTO soon and just check to see what my stroke is doing.

The scores were high though. Lowest score was 72 by a former PGA Tour player. I didn't think the course was overly difficult other than the greens healing up a bit from the aeration. Had difficult pin locations on #3, #5, #7, #13, #15. That was about it. I think if I was healthy, I probably would have shot under par despite the issues on the first 8 holes.

Went to the chiropractor afterward and he adjusted me. Leg still hurts though.

RH

> @Ty_Webb said:

>

>

@Ty_Webb I didn't read the hole by hole... it's not you it's me. This chair ain't that comfortable. Congrats on the good round though. Sounds like your prep work was remarkably similar to @vietnameeh's prep was for his qualifying round. Seems like both of those approaches worked fairly well?

Did either of you learn anything or is there anything you might change going forward @Ty_Webb @vietnameeh ?

*Edit* @Ty_Webb just saw you've got events this coming week let's hold off on on evaluations until after their over and best of luck!

Getting ready for a nice team invitational ("The 1901") this coming week at Santa Ana CC in SoCal. Played a practice round yesterday and had one of my best ball striking rounds ever. Played with my partner for the tournament, Dan Buchner, a 46 year old, 15-year pro who got his amateur status back 3(?) years ago. Guy can flat play.

Format for the tournament:

* Wed, Better-Ball

* Thu, Scotch

* Fri, Chapman

* Sat, Better-Ball

We played the course all the way back at about 6900 yards. Won't bore you with a lot of details, but I did hit it so well that I used my putter on all 18 holes for the first time in my life. I officially hit 15 greens, but I am going to count it as all 18(!!) since I was on the tightly-mown fringe on the other three. Only 10 was I not within a couple feet of the green, but that's a 506 yard par 4 and I still had a "putt" from 45 feet.

1) PW from 118 to 18 feet (par)

2) SW from greenside bunker (driveable par 4) to 12 feet (par)

3) 2H from 215 to 21 feet (par)

4) 7h from 168 to 24 feet (par)

5) LW from 73 to 3 feet (birdie)

6) SW from 98 to 4 feet (birdie)

7) PW from 117 to 18 feet (par)

8) 9i from 142 to 16 feet (par)

9) 4h from 212 to 60 feet (par)

10) 3w from 232 to 45 feet (par)

11) SW from 103 to 25 feet (par)

12) 4h from 221 to 60 feet (par)

13) 4h from 188 to 21 feet (par)

14) 6h from 175 to 25 feet (BAD 3-putt. Lost focus and left first putt 8 feet short!) (bogey)

15) 3w from 255 to 35 feet (2-putt birdie)

16) 9i from 121 to 5 feet (Shoved it) (par)

17) 91 from 142 to 15 feet (par)

18) LW from 82 to 18 feet (par)

I am working on a new downswing move (trying to feel like my hands and right forearm start the downswing at the **same time** as my legs/hips. I've always been a "down-cocker" and my lower body moves first, creating a bunch of lag. Trying to minimize that. Last three rounds with that thought: 69 (71.3/129), 70 (72.6/130, and 68 (today, 71.3/129).

Greens are receptive everywhere in SoCal all summer because they simply have to keep water on the greens or you can lose them in a day. My game, more than most, really benefits from soft greens, as my favored shot is a lowish to very low( trap-draw.

Really looking forward to playing this one. There are only 15 teams in the Gross tournament, but quite a few very solid players, including my partner (capable of shooting 62 or 63 on his own ball) and my buddy Ryan, who last year shot 63 on his own ball on day one. Greens are superb and will be running 12ish.