WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Go get em forecast!

After a year and a half of very little golf I have the itch again. Thanks largely to a timely PM from our friend Obee!!

I’ve played a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and am going to try to qualify for the SCGA Four Ball at Soule Park with a buddy of mine.

I haven’t played there since it was redone so we’re playing a practice round next weekend. My game is not very good right now but I’m just focusing on getting back to where I can play without tightening up and trying to find the middle of the club face again.

Played the cash game again and for the last time before the Mid-Am as next week I’ll be playing a practice round. Shot 76 (+4) with no birdies. Having said that, it was probably more like a 74 if it weren’t for the format I took a double on #6 by hitting driver as my partners were all in the middle of the fairway.

I actually putted quite well, I just couldn’t get birdie putts to drop. But, I only hit 9 GIR. I just kept getting in-between clubs all day and the big issue I had was I kept pushing those half shots. Or on #13 where I would not doubt if I hit the best drive all day on that hole of anybody in the cash game…only to end up in a divot in the fairway.

Anyway, I feel okay about my swing. I would like to get another lesson to attack, what I feel is…the missing piece. But with the Mid-Am around the corner I’ve decided to keep what I have and work on it after the Mid-Am. My short game around the green is promising. I have been having issues with very short shots as I tend to carry the ball too far, but I think I figured out the issue on those yesterday. And I feel pretty good about my putting, although the course we’re playing is a Donald Ross design which means some very difficult greens.

RH

I got my foot cast off just in time to play our State “Ryder Cup” matches over the weekend. Private vs Publinx (I’m on Publinx). I went 3-0 in 3 matches and was the only player on my team to go undefeated but we got spanked overall something like 15.5 to 8.5. My alternate shot partner and I shot 72 to beat the other teams best pairing and then in the afternoon we beat them again in the 4-ball match. In singles I played against a 16 year old that is committed to Xavier University already and he made it through US Open Locals this year as medalist. I had about 40 yards over him off the tee and I was able to put together a solid performance to win 5&4 after going out in the first match of the day, eagled #1 and never looked back really. I was -4 when the match ended on 14. I’m happy with how I was able to bounce back from 10 days off with a torn tendon in my foot. The first 50-100 balls after the cast came off were ugly as sin but once I got out on the course my ball striking came right back and I was able to give myself good birdie looks all day in all 3 rounds. I also switched from my Bridgestone Tour Bx to a Yellow ProV1x for the whole event and I really liked it.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> @Buckets2 said:

> Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

First thing I would suggest is practice twice as much as you do now with your wedges. Half of every bucket of balls I hit is with either my 60* or 55* wedge just dialing it in. Once you get within your “green light” yardages (you will figure out these yardages once you practice and groove certain shots) try to actually hit the ball in the hole. For me it’s about 60- 105 yards.. anything Between 60 and 105 I am looking to hole the shot (within reason)... obviously you have to stay patient on some pin locations but only you can build your confidence enough to go flag hunting with wedge in your hands. Thinking out loud here.... if you are decent off the tee you SHOULD HAVE 5-8 wedges into greens including par 5’s during a standard round of golf. Of those 5-8 shots figure half of them will be in your “green light” range. If you are grooved with your wedges you should be able to dial in your distance control to within 5 yards and your direction should never be that far off with wedge in your hands (especially if you put the practice time in). Once you get to that point you will notice yourself having 1-2 near tap-in birdies per round and another 4-5 really good looks from inside 15 feet. If you hit your mid irons decent you will have another 4-5 outside putts at birdie. From there try to alter your mindset on the greens... don’t putt defensively when you have a birdie look.. try to MAKE those putts as if you were putting to save par. Most people I see bang their par putts in like nothing and then when they have a close birdie look they put a tentative stroke on it and usually leave it short or try to steer the ball in the hole because they’re trying to avoid a 3-putt moreso than trying to MAKE the birdie putt. If you ask yourself after every birdie attempt if you focused your FULL ATTENTION AND EFFORT into making that putt more often than not you are lying to yourself if you say you did. Look at the wedge and short game as a game within the game.. from 100 yards and in get the mindset that you “have to get up and down”.. if you hit a wayward drive and have to pitch out, get to your “green light” yardage and try to hole it for birdie. Use every possible opportunity to dial in your wedges and eventually it will come relatively easy. Try altering your putting practice.. hit putts alternating between 3-6-9-12 feet on a similar line never hitting 2 putts from the same distance twice in a row. I usually put a ball 1 putter length from the hole, next ball another putter length further, next ball another putter length etc and I will putt the 4 balls over and over and over until I make 4 or 8 in a row depending on my time available. I will not leave until I make them and sometimes it takes longer than you would imagine. Making the first 3 and then knowing you can go home if you make the final 12 footer will get your attention or you have to start over. Adding some pressure to your putting practice like that will make you better under the gun and you will have a new found confidence for line and speed. In my opinion it is really a matter of perspective, either you can accept and conquer the challenge of getting up and down from everywhere inside 100 or get down on yourself for not hitting a perfect shot every time. Let your stroke flow freely and pick a spot inside the hole you want your ball to hit as it falls in from anywhere inside 10 feet. I like to pick out a fleck of dirt or a paint chip in the cup on my last glance at the hole and imagine the ball hitting that exact spot as it falls in... then just stroke it without thinking about anything else.

I gather that youre a solid player that may just need to approach things with a different mentality. Even if you don’t get up and down every time from inside 100, you will notice that you have a lot more close looks than before - then it’s a matter of time before you start to see more birdies dropping.

• Like 2

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> @Buckets2 said:

> Can anyone share any tips on what helped you break through from 1-2 birdies a round to more often putting up 5+? I know more than 2 isn't common or anything....but don't seem to ever go deep and am just lucky to sink 2, and more often than not I don't sink any.

I agree with Thunder's advice on wedges above. If I get a two putt/kick in birdie or two early in the round it usually loosens me up and I start playing as aggressive as possible which means hitting driver on every hole possible to give myself the maximum # of short shots into greens. I think the driver is probably as important as the wedges in making 3+ birdies a round. You have to be comfortable letting it rip over and over again. If you have a good wedge game you are going to make WAY more birdies from 30-50 yds closer even if you are in the rough (depending on the rough obviously) or have slight tree issues. You are definitely going to make bogeys with an aggressive strategy so just accept it. I would add that being able to vary the trajectory and spin with your two highest lofted clubs will give you more comfortable options when you get the "green light". Because of lie and pin placement some partial wedge shots can be very scary if you aren't able to bring it in low and let it release to the hole a bit.

Another thing to look at is your misses off the tee. On my course there are certain sides of holes where you are NEVER going to make a birdie depending on the pin position. It's not necessarily hard to get a par from these spots but you are very rarely going to be able to give yourself inside 20ft for birdie. I make sure to take note of all the pin positions on upcoming holes either on my drive in or as I'm playing the course to know where I'm going to aim in order to set up my miss on the correct side.

The best thing I ever did for my putting was getting fit at the Edel factory. Their aim fitting system is amazing and I can't believe its not more well know or copied by the big companies. Knowing I'm aiming on the correct line really loosened me up from 3-15 ft. Rarely do I think equipment is the issue but with putters it often is.

• Like 1

Begin the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play tomorrow with a practice round. Tournament rounds are Monday - Wednesday (54 holes). I know very little about the course. They tend to play these events on fairly short tees. What I have seen so far is around 5200 - 5400 yards (over 50 women so no one should expect the tips - LOL), tree lined with water in play on quite a few holes. Still it is a bit short for me thus eliminating my length advantage. I will spend my practice time tomorrow on the greens and in the bunkers. On course I will record tee clubs and elevation on approach shots. I will also play the Pro V1X instead of the AVX. I will likely need the extra spin since I expect fast and firm greens. There are about 15 players with caps 2.0 or less which is a pretty tough field for a senior event. Should be fun.

• Like 1

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Begin the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play tomorrow with a practice round. Tournament rounds are Monday - Wednesday (54 holes). I know very little about the course. They tend to play these events on fairly short tees. What I have seen so far is around 5200 - 5400 yards (over 50 women so no one should expect the tips - LOL), tree lined with water in play on quite a few holes. Still it is a bit short for me thus eliminating my length advantage. I will spend my practice time tomorrow on the greens and in the bunkers. On course I will record tee clubs and elevation on approach shots. I will also play the Pro V1X instead of the AVX. I will likely need the extra spin since I expect fast and firm greens. There are about 15 players with caps 2.0 or less which is a pretty tough field for a senior event. Should be fun.

Hit em good Miss Plus ....

Play well for the rest of us who’s seasons are pretty much over. Can’t really give you any advice that you haven’t given me first , but you’ve got a fan here cheering you on.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > Begin the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play tomorrow with a practice round. Tournament rounds are Monday - Wednesday (54 holes). I know very little about the course. They tend to play these events on fairly short tees. What I have seen so far is around 5200 - 5400 yards (over 50 women so no one should expect the tips - LOL), tree lined with water in play on quite a few holes. Still it is a bit short for me thus eliminating my length advantage. I will spend my practice time tomorrow on the greens and in the bunkers. On course I will record tee clubs and elevation on approach shots. I will also play the Pro V1X instead of the AVX. I will likely need the extra spin since I expect fast and firm greens. There are about 15 players with caps 2.0 or less which is a pretty tough field for a senior event. Should be fun.

>

>

> Hit em good Miss Plus ....

>

> Play well for the rest of us who’s seasons are pretty much over. Can’t really give you any advice that you haven’t given me first , but you’ve got a fan here cheering you on.

Thanks. Hoping to play 3 solid rounds.

Met Mid-Am on Monday/Tuesday. Forecast is messy. I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago. I have something to think about which stops me getting so across the line at the top (right forearm rotation) and it’s done wonders for my short game. It’s basically normal now which is incredible. Lesson also covered some putting stuff. Three things we talked about. One was keeping my neck still. Fine. One was getting less loft on the way into the ball. Pi think I was letting the clubhead get ahead of the hands so presenting a lot of loft. Third thing was this:

When you put the putter on the ground at address, you should have it a little inside the ball so that when you swing through with the putter off the ground it’s in the right place. I have tended to loop it outside to in and out a little spin on the ball when putting but this seems to have me hitting it squarer. It’s very interesting but I really haven’t been able to practice it. Not sure how that will pan out. Should be fun though. I earned my way into this so I’m going to enjoy it. Even if it rains

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> Met Mid-Am on Monday/Tuesday. Forecast is messy. I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago. I have something to think about which stops me getting so across the line at the top (right forearm rotation) and it’s done wonders for my short game. It’s basically normal now which is incredible. Lesson also covered some putting stuff. Three things we talked about. One was keeping my neck still. Fine. One was getting less loft on the way into the ball. Pi think I was letting the clubhead get ahead of the hands so presenting a lot of loft. Third thing was this:

>

> When you put the putter on the ground at address, you should have it a little inside the ball so that when you swing through with the putter off the ground it’s in the right place. I have tended to loop it outside to in and out a little spin on the ball when putting but this seems to have me hitting it squarer. It’s very interesting but I really haven’t been able to practice it. Not sure how that will pan out. Should be fun though. I earned my way into this so I’m going to enjoy it. Even if it rains

Best tip I can give you there is learn to pray for rain. Enjoy it. Route for it. Then smile if it comes. Why ? Half the field will fold up and quit. The rest will have a tougher time . More than half those won’t adjust properly and will struggle. If you learn to play “ small ball “ as a mentor of mine calls it , you can par them to death in the rain and sprinkle one or two birdies in. That basically means don’t make a full pass at anything. Not even driver. Low , slow and controlled. Set your mindset to that and keep in play and in front of you. For me at least it works wonders. I always cleanup in inclement weather. I prefer it to a sunny day. I feel the same about wind. Bring it on.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So I played my practice round today for the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play. The course has a bunch of shortish holes with forced layups (ponds or a creek of some sort) so it plays longer than the yardage would indicate. I will hit 5 iron or 6 iron off 1/3 of the par 4s/5s tomorrow. Too much danger lurking trying to squeeze longer tee balls into tight spaces or just can't carry the penalty areas. Strangely, 3 of the par 5s are reachable. I am somewhat nervous about how I played. I got several great breaks when I hit too much club off the tee and got dumb lucky squeezing into 15 yard wide spots or just short of water. As a consequence of a little luck and some very good ball striking I shot 69. Feels very scary. Still waiting for the other shoe to fall. Never played a course for the first time and shot under par. Not sure how to feel. Anyway I will post my first round result tomorrow.

I played the practice round for the FSGA Mid-Am on Saturday. I was striking the ball well all week on the range, but this weekend it was a mixed bag, again. It’s probably going to be that way until I figure out how to stop over-tilting and getting the sternum more open at impact. The rest of my swing looks good outside of that.

The course (Sara Bay CC) is probably narrow by most people’s standards, but compared to Orange Tree it’s like playing St. Andrews. The greens are tough, but reasonable. I don’t think there should be many 3-putts unless my putting is dreadful. The greens are small and the stimp is at 10 which I can handle. But sinking putts will be another issue as there’s a lot of different breaks to each green.

I think the par-5’s are easy and very birdieable. The par-3’s I shouldn’t take big scores on, but they offset the par-5’s by being very bogeyable. I think there are a few par-4’s where you can take some big scores (5, 10, 12 and 15). I did my research on Google Earth beforehand and originally had me needing to lay-up off the tee 6 times. But playing the course I found that I should lay-up about 4 times. Part of the issue with Google Earth is you can spot the trees, but don’t know how tall they are or how low they hang. I found that some of the trees weren’t so difficult to navigate around.

It’s a Donald Ross designed course, so I’ll have to aim for the center of the green on a lot of approaches as well as be able to hit a variety of different short game shots like lobs, flops, spinners and bump-n-runs.

In the end, I view this as a test that will reveal my strengths and weaknesses and then I can determine from there what I need to work on to improve my game.

RH

The region I play in has a one day fall event for all club champion winners that I played in last week. It was foggy to the point that rangefinders didn't work (I kept getting 6 yards haha). I had printed out the DECADE yardage book for the course so I was lucky to be able to pace off a few yardages and use the grid on the greens to get a pretty good number. That was a big advantage since they didn't have pin sheets. There were two rain delays, the second one was pretty bad and we didn't get back out on the course, which was unfortunate as I was -4 thru 15 and leading by 3.

Stats for the day were a mix of impressive and absolutely brutal. SG-Tee: 1.25, SG Approach: 2.79, SG Around the Green: 0.73 and then the big one.... SG Putting: -2.74.

Pins were on some good size slopes for sure, but I missed a handful of putts from inside 12 feet that could have made a good round much much better.

I have to say that I've been practicing DECADE for a year or two now, but hadn't been inputting my rounds. I did this year and it will make winter practice a lot more focused (driver, wedges, putting).

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Well I certainly sucked today. First round of the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play is complete and I shot a dreadful 78. Front blew thru and it was breezy and much cooler. I rose to the occasion and played about as poorly as I could. Blocked tee shots and thin irons. Nothing was good. I think my tempo got too fast. Going to slow it down tomorrow and see what happens. Leader shot 71 so I'm mostly toast, but hoping to back door a top 5.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Well I finished with a couple of 75s. Better than the first round, but still not what I was hoping for. Too many bad or tight swings producing penalty strokes. Lots to continue working on. Managed 8th out of a field of ~80. Even par won.

Been there done that. It sucks. Especially when you know you could have done better. Or won. Still 8th isn’t anything to be ashamed of. But if you’re like me it’s going to sting for a bit anyway.

All you can do is analyze the info honestly and move on. You’ll probably shoot something low your next round out , which will tell you what to work on. lol. ( speaking from experience) lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well, my tournament on Monday/Tuesday wound up being just Monday. Not good. A lot of ugly stuff out there. Hole by hole below if anyone is interested.

Started on 10. Downhill par 5. 502 and last easy birdie hole on the course. Drive tugged a little left, but okay in the light rough. Had to turn my second around a tree a little bit. Hit it straight out to the right. Really good pitch to 6 feet and missed it. Over read the break and missed on the high side. E

11. Par 4 about 385 from the tee we were off. Perfect drive. Gap wedge to 10 feet and holed it. -1

12. Par 4 340 dogleg round a corner. 3 iron off the tee so as not to run out and it wasn't far enough to get round the corner. Tried to cut an 8 iron around the trees, but pushed it a bit and it clipped the top left twig on the tree and dropped down behind it. Couldn't go at the flag, but the left half of the green was available. Pitched it on and 2 putts for a 5. E

13. Par 4 425 dead into the wind. Bunker left 250 to carry. Bunker right is 272 to reach. Hole doglegs a little left and the bunkers aren't that far apart from each other. Aim at the right bunker. Pull it 15 yards and straight at the left one. Made the carry (didn't think I could). Now position A. Feeble 9 iron onto the green and 2 putts (second one from about 8 feet :eyeroll:) E

14. Par 4 415 also into the wind. Hard left to right slope in the fairway. Pulled it in the left rough behind some trees. Low hook with a 5 iron that didn't hook. Pitch on to about 18 feet. Smashed it 5 feet by and missed that one too. Totally braindead putting decision. +2

15. Long par 3 about 210 wind hurting and left to right (my favourite...). Front right bunker. Didn't get up and down. +3

16. Short par 4 with water right and an island green. Hybrid down the middle. Gap wedge to 8 feet and missed it. +3

17. 380 par 4 dogleg right into the wind. 3 wood off the tee since driver couldn't clear the bunkers on the corner and would run out if I hit it down the middle. Weak cut into the right rough short of the bunkers. Heavy 8 iron from thick stuff that wound up 50 yards short in the left rough. Hit that one over the green. Downhill chip. Got too cute with it and left it in the rough. Chip on and miss from 10'. +6

18. long uphill par 5. OB left, water right. I chose left. A yard OB. Second one left semi. Fourth shot tweaked a 5 iron layup and was nervous because the OB runs all the way up, but this time it stayed in the rough. 126 left uphill from an uphill lie with the wind hurting. Another weak block cut with a 9 iron in the front right bunker. Green has two tiers and the flag is 10 feet from the edge of the tier and it runs hard downhill up top too (one of my playing partners hit a perfect flop shot from over the back that crawled to the hole, kept going, stopped, started again and rolled off the front of the green). I'm playing up to and across the tier. I hit a really good bunker shot that got up to the top, but not by enough. Down the tier and off the front. Three putts later. Finally finished the hole. 9. +10

1. Another bogey +11

2. Good 3 wood to the corner. Duffed a pitch short in the fringe and two putts for a par. +11

3. Good 3 wood to the corner. Great 6 iron to 10 feet. Holed it. +10

4. 8 iron to 30 feet. Two putts. +10

5. Good drive. 4 iron to the front fringe and two putts. +10

6. Weak drive out right. Lay up with a 5 iron. 8 iron on and two putts. +10

7. Swirling wind, hit a 7 iron short left and a poor chip. Two putts. +11

8. Pulled my drive into the woods. Punch out clips the only branch within ten feet of where it was going and drops down and left. Pitch over another tree that didn't quite make it. Hit a good chip and tapped in for a bogey. +12

9. Pulled my drive into the woods. It kicked out in the fairway, but very short. 3 iron a bit heavy and left that short too. Pitch up to the fringe and two putts. +13

85. Thanks for coming.

And thanks for reading if you made it this far. What a horror show!

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Question: My standard handicap is 2, yes i play down and by the rules. My tourney is about a 10, ugh. Any insight into closing that gap. I play about the same just pressuring myself too much (i think) and make big number (d. bogey+), that i rarely make when playing non tourney golf (Usually make pars a couple birdies and bogeys to average around 75). thanks!

Yeah, in my opinion the only main thing that will help you get better with tourney play is playing more tourneys. Really no substitution for it. You've really got to find that middle ground of being focused enough to give your best effort but not caring to much that you nerve yourself out of it. Try and make it feel as much like a Friday evening buddy round as possible without being careless and try and not focus on the end result. Make the best possible decision and then try and execute anything after that you have no control over. Good swings will lead to bad shots, you'll get bad breaks, you'll make bogeys etc.. Just concentrate on what you can control.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @swizbeatz said:

> I posted about this earlier but just play. The gap between my playing handicap and tournament scores has gone down every year I play 10+ tournament rounds for 6 straight years. Takes a while for most people.

> @drvrwdge said:

> Yeah, in my opinion the only main thing that will help you get better with tourney play is playing more tourneys. Really no substitution for it. You've really got to find that middle ground of being focused enough to give your best effort but not caring to much that you nerve yourself out of it. Try and make it feel as much like a Friday evening buddy round as possible without being careless and try and not focus on the end result. Make the best possible decision and then try and execute anything after that you have no control over. Good swings will lead to bad shots, you'll get bad breaks, you'll make bogeys etc.. Just concentrate on what you can control.

thank u both. I have heard this by other too. Do u think I should do more like state golf association stuff OR more small money games/home course matches. Which do u think would be most high yield. I am going to try and do 1 competitive event per month for 12 months.

I think both can work but if you’re playing money games you have to play for an amount that makes you nervous to lose. Especially if you’re playing with buddies because you’ll naturally be more comfortable around them to begin with. i’d say get out and play in some state sanctioned events or some amateur stuff and get paired with people you don’t know.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @Hackattack1 said:

> > @swizbeatz said:

> > I posted about this earlier but just play. The gap between my playing handicap and tournament scores has gone down every year I play 10+ tournament rounds for 6 straight years. Takes a while for most people.

>

> > @drvrwdge said:

> > Yeah, in my opinion the only main thing that will help you get better with tourney play is playing more tourneys. Really no substitution for it. You've really got to find that middle ground of being focused enough to give your best effort but not caring to much that you nerve yourself out of it. Try and make it feel as much like a Friday evening buddy round as possible without being careless and try and not focus on the end result. Make the best possible decision and then try and execute anything after that you have no control over. Good swings will lead to bad shots, you'll get bad breaks, you'll make bogeys etc.. Just concentrate on what you can control.

>

> thank u both. I have heard this by other too. Do u think I should do more like state golf association stuff OR more small money games/home course matches. Which do u think would be most high yield. I am going to try and do 1 competitive event per month for 12 months.

both. State Amateur events, you can even substitute team games at a local club or just simply start playing for things that hold value to you. Its all about the mindset and being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. I like to use my States Golf Association Individual Tour events to prep for my Summers larger events. Some states offer a decent schedules, and others dont have that much of options due to the restricted schedule with weather etc

> @drvrwdge said:

> I think both can work but if you’re playing money games you have to play for an amount that makes you nervous to lose. Especially if you’re playing with buddies because you’ll naturally be more comfortable around them to begin with. i’d say get out and play in some state sanctioned events or some amateur stuff and get paired with people you don’t know.

> @Kjboisen said:

> > @Hackattack1 said:

> > > @swizbeatz said:

> > > I posted about this earlier but just play. The gap between my playing handicap and tournament scores has gone down every year I play 10+ tournament rounds for 6 straight years. Takes a while for most people.

> >

> > > @drvrwdge said:

> > > Yeah, in my opinion the only main thing that will help you get better with tourney play is playing more tourneys. Really no substitution for it. You've really got to find that middle ground of being focused enough to give your best effort but not caring to much that you nerve yourself out of it. Try and make it feel as much like a Friday evening buddy round as possible without being careless and try and not focus on the end result. Make the best possible decision and then try and execute anything after that you have no control over. Good swings will lead to bad shots, you'll get bad breaks, you'll make bogeys etc.. Just concentrate on what you can control.

> >

> > thank u both. I have heard this by other too. Do u think I should do more like state golf association stuff OR more small money games/home course matches. Which do u think would be most high yield. I am going to try and do 1 competitive event per month for 12 months.

>

> both. State Amateur events, you can even substitute team games at a local club or just simply start playing for things that hold value to you. Its all about the mindset and being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. I like to use my States Golf Association Individual Tour events to prep for my Summers larger events. Some states offer a decent schedules, and others dont have that much of options due to the restricted schedule with weather etc

that makes a lot of sense. I will do both and focus on feeling like I am w/ my stepdad/buddies (when i play my best) vs trying to make a buddy round feel like a tourney (not usually fun). Florida has A LOT of amateur events from the FSGA and local am events which is great. And we are lucky to play all year round. thanks again.

My buddy and I played SCGA Fourball qualifier today and shot 69. We played ok but three team bogeys, all three putts, were our demise. We are alternates for the tournament.

Kind of disappointed but at the same time feel good about getting back out there and grinding. My game is not very good but my good shots and good and my bad shots are getting better. And that’s the ticket.

A little short game work and a little tightening up on the swing is the order of the day.