WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

81-77 = MC

I only hit 20 GIR.

This is a typical Donald Ross design...lots of smaller, elevated and crowned greens. This is probably one of the most difficult Ross courses in terms of putting I've played (and I've played a lot). What made the course difficult this week was the greens are only 1 year old and they are still very firm. They hold, but they will roll out a bit. Combine that with the wind and it was a difficult track.

I started off as the 3rd tee time yesterday. We were greeted to a 3 club wind and a very soft course. So if you got into the wind, the ball was going nowhere. The 2nd hole was a 453 yard par-4 and I hit driver-4 iron and came up short. The low score in the morning was -3 under par which was really an incredible score given the conditions.

I didn't hit it that poorly or putt that poorly. I only had 3 horrendous shots...one a flubbed chip and another a missed putt inside 3-feet. The other was a hard hit, but hooked driver. However, I just couldn't help but get awful breaks in the first round. Miss the fairway by a yard and be just buried in the rough. Miss the fairway by a yard and not only end up in the bunker, but up against the lip. On 14 I smashed a driver that everybody thought was a perfect drive on the left side of the fairway. Nope...up against the lip of the bunker. 15 had us 280 to the water with the wind. I smash a 3-wood and it ends up in the yellow hazard and I have no lie. Then I lip out on 16 for birdie and then smash a driver that finds the fairway bunker and again...up against the lip of the bunker. It was just that kind of day for me.

I felt after the round that if I eliminate those 3 awful shots and just don't get any bad breaks (they have to stop after a while, right?) that I could break par if the conditions improved. We had beautiful conditions today and I get up on the first hole (the 10th hole). Hit a good driver that draws a little too much and ends up in the fairway but behind a big oak tree. I then punch a 5-iron as hard as I could under the tree and it hooks towards the bunker and gets thru the bunker. And....my ball is completely buried in the rough. We had to look for it for a couple of minutes to find it. So much for not getting an awful break. However, I hit a miracle chip and somehow made par.

I felt like I hit the ball better today and quite well overall as I hit 13 GIR. But, I had the putting yips really bad. My speed was atrocious, particularly on the front nine. I estimate my Putts Gained was somewhere near -4 to -5 for the round.

Having said that I actually enjoyed myself and I didn't feel nervous once. Part of that was due to playing in the cash games on the weekends. The other part was I looked at it as a test. A few months ago I questioned whether I would ever play competitive golf, again with all of the issues I had with my elbow, shoulder, hip and lower back. I then started to go to a chiropractor and not only do I feel much better, but we basically figured out the issue was my ribs on my right rib cage get dislocated and everything else (lower back, hip, neck, shoulder, etc) have to compensate for it. It was fun to play 36 holes of competitive golf pain free.

The other part was that I wasn't going to play competitive golf this year unless I started to shallow out the shaft. I started to do that and since I was feeling healthier, I decided to use this as a test to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of my game. There was no reason to be nervous, IMO. If I don't play well, it doesn't mean that I will never play well again. It just means I wasn't ready and I can assess my game and I can attack those areas with my coaches.

Having said all of that, while I was fairly pleased with the ballstriking there is still work to do on my swing. I know part of the issue is the lack of body rotation from P5 to P7. There's some excess tilting going on and that causes some two way misses (flare right and pull-draw left) and some low point issues. I think the issue for me is that it causes a lack of clubface control because the hands and forearms are rotating the face too much and it's causing some launch/spin issues. If there's a slight head wind, that becomes a problem for me because I launch it too high and then I have to hit knockdown shots that I'm not particularly good at in part due to the lack of rotation I'm getting into impact. I also think it's probably sapping me of a little speed as well. And I need to work on some things to get some more power so I can make up for those bad breaks.

My short game around the green was poor and that's uncommon for me. Usually that's the best part of my game. I think I was getting too focused on technique instead of where I want to land it and what shot I want to hit. I really struggled with the LW here which is unusual for me. I definitely need to get back to practicing short game shots around the green.

And my putting was dreadful. It wasn't so bad in round 1, but nothing would fall for me. Round 2 was just inexcusably awful. Too much thinking of technique and trying to 'perfect' the line instead of trying to roll the ball at the right speed to the cup. I should've known given the issues I had putting on hillier greens in California back in May. That's something I need to get more practice on and need to work with an instructor on a quarterly basis instead of once every two years.

But again, I still enjoyed it. The guys I played with were good guys and good players. Nothing sucks more than playing with a jerk or somebody who is so dreadfully awful that it can't help but hurt your round. And the course was difficult, but fair. That's all I can ask for. That and a few good breaks. I'm owed that much :)

RH

> @RichieHunt said:

> 81-77 = MC

>

> I only hit 20 GIR.

>

> This is a typical Donald Ross design...lots of smaller, elevated and crowned greens. This is probably one of the most difficult Ross courses in terms of putting I've played (and I've played a lot). What made the course difficult this week was the greens are only 1 year old and they are still very firm. They hold, but they will roll out a bit. Combine that with the wind and it was a difficult track.

>

> I started off as the 3rd tee time yesterday. We were greeted to a 3 club wind and a very soft course. So if you got into the wind, the ball was going nowhere. The 2nd hole was a 453 yard par-4 and I hit driver-4 iron and came up short. The low score in the morning was -3 under par which was really an incredible score given the conditions.

>

> I didn't hit it that poorly or putt that poorly. I only had 3 horrendous shots...one a flubbed chip and another a missed putt inside 3-feet. The other was a hard hit, but hooked driver. However, I just couldn't help but get awful breaks in the first round. Miss the fairway by a yard and be just buried in the rough. Miss the fairway by a yard and not only end up in the bunker, but up against the lip. On 14 I smashed a driver that everybody thought was a perfect drive on the left side of the fairway. Nope...up against the lip of the bunker. 15 had us 280 to the water with the wind. I smash a 3-wood and it ends up in the yellow hazard and I have no lie. Then I lip out on 16 for birdie and then smash a driver that finds the fairway bunker and again...up against the lip of the bunker. It was just that kind of day for me.

>

> I felt after the round that if I eliminate those 3 awful shots and just don't get any bad breaks (they have to stop after a while, right?) that I could break par if the conditions improved. We had beautiful conditions today and I get up on the first hole (the 10th hole). Hit a good driver that draws a little too much and ends up in the fairway but behind a big oak tree. I then punch a 5-iron as hard as I could under the tree and it hooks towards the bunker and gets thru the bunker. And....my ball is completely buried in the rough. We had to look for it for a couple of minutes to find it. So much for not getting an awful break. However, I hit a miracle chip and somehow made par.

>

> I felt like I hit the ball better today and quite well overall as I hit 13 GIR. But, I had the putting yips really bad. My speed was atrocious, particularly on the front nine. I estimate my Putts Gained was somewhere near -4 to -5 for the round.

>

> Having said that I actually enjoyed myself and I didn't feel nervous once. Part of that was due to playing in the cash games on the weekends. The other part was I looked at it as a test. A few months ago I questioned whether I would ever play competitive golf, again with all of the issues I had with my elbow, shoulder, hip and lower back. I then started to go to a chiropractor and not only do I feel much better, but we basically figured out the issue was my ribs on my right rib cage get dislocated and everything else (lower back, hip, neck, shoulder, etc) have to compensate for it. It was fun to play 36 holes of competitive golf pain free.

>

> The other part was that I wasn't going to play competitive golf this year unless I started to shallow out the shaft. I started to do that and since I was feeling healthier, I decided to use this as a test to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of my game. There was no reason to be nervous, IMO. If I don't play well, it doesn't mean that I will never play well again. It just means I wasn't ready and I can assess my game and I can attack those areas with my coaches.

>

> Having said all of that, while I was fairly pleased with the ballstriking there is still work to do on my swing. I know part of the issue is the lack of body rotation from P5 to P7. There's some excess tilting going on and that causes some two way misses (flare right and pull-draw left) and some low point issues. I think the issue for me is that it causes a lack of clubface control because the hands and forearms are rotating the face too much and it's causing some launch/spin issues. If there's a slight head wind, that becomes a problem for me because I launch it too high and then I have to hit knockdown shots that I'm not particularly good at in part due to the lack of rotation I'm getting into impact. I also think it's probably sapping me of a little speed as well. And I need to work on some things to get some more power so I can make up for those bad breaks.

>

> My short game around the green was poor and that's uncommon for me. Usually that's the best part of my game. I think I was getting too focused on technique instead of where I want to land it and what shot I want to hit. I really struggled with the LW here which is unusual for me. I definitely need to get back to practicing short game shots around the green.

>

> And my putting was dreadful. It wasn't so bad in round 1, but nothing would fall for me. Round 2 was just inexcusably awful. Too much thinking of technique and trying to 'perfect' the line instead of trying to roll the ball at the right speed to the cup. I should've known given the issues I had putting on hillier greens in California back in May. That's something I need to get more practice on and need to work with an instructor on a quarterly basis instead of once every two years.

>

> But again, I still enjoyed it. The guys I played with were good guys and good players. Nothing sucks more than playing with a jerk or somebody who is so dreadfully awful that it can't help but hurt your round. And the course was difficult, but fair. That's all I can ask for. That and a few good breaks. I'm owed that much :)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> RH

Tough breaks under tough conditions, but you kept a good attitude and still enjoyed the competition. That approach be very helpful at your next events.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @RichieHunt said:

> > 81-77 = MC

> >

> > I only hit 20 GIR.

> >

> > This is a typical Donald Ross design...lots of smaller, elevated and crowned greens. This is probably one of the most difficult Ross courses in terms of putting I've played (and I've played a lot). What made the course difficult this week was the greens are only 1 year old and they are still very firm. They hold, but they will roll out a bit. Combine that with the wind and it was a difficult track.

> >

> > I started off as the 3rd tee time yesterday. We were greeted to a 3 club wind and a very soft course. So if you got into the wind, the ball was going nowhere. The 2nd hole was a 453 yard par-4 and I hit driver-4 iron and came up short. The low score in the morning was -3 under par which was really an incredible score given the conditions.

> >

> > I didn't hit it that poorly or putt that poorly. I only had 3 horrendous shots...one a flubbed chip and another a missed putt inside 3-feet. The other was a hard hit, but hooked driver. However, I just couldn't help but get awful breaks in the first round. Miss the fairway by a yard and be just buried in the rough. Miss the fairway by a yard and not only end up in the bunker, but up against the lip. On 14 I smashed a driver that everybody thought was a perfect drive on the left side of the fairway. Nope...up against the lip of the bunker. 15 had us 280 to the water with the wind. I smash a 3-wood and it ends up in the yellow hazard and I have no lie. Then I lip out on 16 for birdie and then smash a driver that finds the fairway bunker and again...up against the lip of the bunker. It was just that kind of day for me.

> >

> > I felt after the round that if I eliminate those 3 awful shots and just don't get any bad breaks (they have to stop after a while, right?) that I could break par if the conditions improved. We had beautiful conditions today and I get up on the first hole (the 10th hole). Hit a good driver that draws a little too much and ends up in the fairway but behind a big oak tree. I then punch a 5-iron as hard as I could under the tree and it hooks towards the bunker and gets thru the bunker. And....my ball is completely buried in the rough. We had to look for it for a couple of minutes to find it. So much for not getting an awful break. However, I hit a miracle chip and somehow made par.

> >

> > I felt like I hit the ball better today and quite well overall as I hit 13 GIR. But, I had the putting yips really bad. My speed was atrocious, particularly on the front nine. I estimate my Putts Gained was somewhere near -4 to -5 for the round.

> >

> > Having said that I actually enjoyed myself and I didn't feel nervous once. Part of that was due to playing in the cash games on the weekends. The other part was I looked at it as a test. A few months ago I questioned whether I would ever play competitive golf, again with all of the issues I had with my elbow, shoulder, hip and lower back. I then started to go to a chiropractor and not only do I feel much better, but we basically figured out the issue was my ribs on my right rib cage get dislocated and everything else (lower back, hip, neck, shoulder, etc) have to compensate for it. It was fun to play 36 holes of competitive golf pain free.

> >

> > The other part was that I wasn't going to play competitive golf this year unless I started to shallow out the shaft. I started to do that and since I was feeling healthier, I decided to use this as a test to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of my game. There was no reason to be nervous, IMO. If I don't play well, it doesn't mean that I will never play well again. It just means I wasn't ready and I can assess my game and I can attack those areas with my coaches.

> >

> > Having said all of that, while I was fairly pleased with the ballstriking there is still work to do on my swing. I know part of the issue is the lack of body rotation from P5 to P7. There's some excess tilting going on and that causes some two way misses (flare right and pull-draw left) and some low point issues. I think the issue for me is that it causes a lack of clubface control because the hands and forearms are rotating the face too much and it's causing some launch/spin issues. If there's a slight head wind, that becomes a problem for me because I launch it too high and then I have to hit knockdown shots that I'm not particularly good at in part due to the lack of rotation I'm getting into impact. I also think it's probably sapping me of a little speed as well. And I need to work on some things to get some more power so I can make up for those bad breaks.

> >

> > My short game around the green was poor and that's uncommon for me. Usually that's the best part of my game. I think I was getting too focused on technique instead of where I want to land it and what shot I want to hit. I really struggled with the LW here which is unusual for me. I definitely need to get back to practicing short game shots around the green.

> >

> > And my putting was dreadful. It wasn't so bad in round 1, but nothing would fall for me. Round 2 was just inexcusably awful. Too much thinking of technique and trying to 'perfect' the line instead of trying to roll the ball at the right speed to the cup. I should've known given the issues I had putting on hillier greens in California back in May. That's something I need to get more practice on and need to work with an instructor on a quarterly basis instead of once every two years.

> >

> > But again, I still enjoyed it. The guys I played with were good guys and good players. Nothing sucks more than playing with a jerk or somebody who is so dreadfully awful that it can't help but hurt your round. And the course was difficult, but fair. That's all I can ask for. That and a few good breaks. I'm owed that much :)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > RH

>

> Tough breaks under tough conditions, but you kept a good attitude and still enjoyed the competition. That approach be very helpful at your next events.

As TP stated, you had one of those days, and anyone that’s Played any kind of Tourney golf has had a few of those days, especially Ams, regardless of our caps.

Bottom line, you’re a Competitor, a Player and you’ve gotta short memory so you’ll be ready for your next Tournament!!

All the Best Brother?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks guys.

The biggest silver lining is that this is probably the first time I can remember playing a 2 or more round event and not being mentally exhausted afterward. In fact, I drove back 2.5 hours on Saturday evening, got up and practiced and played golf the next day.

I think the cash games on the weekends helped with that, but also having a different perspective as to what I'm trying to really achieve in the end.

RH

• Like 1

Played in my first tournament ever yesterday (not counting HS golf 22 years ago). SCGA four ball qualifier. I'm a 5.7, so I was super nervous knowing that I was one of the weakest players in the field. We were in good shape until the last 6 holes when the wheels came off and we went +4. Ended up carding an 80 on my own ball on a course that was playing 7250, 75/142, so it was a positive experience for me and bolstered my confidence for future events. Could have easily been a 76 if the yips didn't get me on four consecutive sub-4-footers.

• Like 2

Well, I finally did it. I won one. I am now the senior amateur champion of the 2nd largest city in the United States! No matter what, that will always be true! :-)

https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057507.pdf

So much to say, I don't even know where to begin....

• Like 4

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @deathbymuffin said:

> Played in my first tournament ever yesterday (not counting HS golf 22 years ago). SCGA four ball qualifier. I'm a 5.7, so I was super nervous knowing that I was one of the weakest players in the field. We were in good shape until the last 6 holes when the wheels came off and we went +4. Ended up carding an 80 on my own ball on a course that was playing 7250, 75/142, so it was a positive experience for me and bolstered my confidence for future events. Could have easily been a 76 if the yips didn't get me on four consecutive sub-4-footers.

So you were at Carlton Oaks? That course is a beast in tournament conditions.

> @Obee said:

> Well, I finally did it. I won one. I am now the senior amateur champion of the 2nd largest city in the United States! No matter what, that will always be true! :-)

>

> https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057507.pdf

>

> So much to say, I don't even know where to begin....

Congrats! Long time coming, but you deserve it with all the work you've put in. Clutch final round. Two strokes better than anyone else and much better than 1st round leaders. Well done.

> @Obee said:

> Well, I finally did it. I won one. I am now the senior amateur champion of the 2nd largest city in the United States! No matter what, that will always be true! :-)

>

>

Way to go Obee! Congrats!

• Like 1

> @Obee said:

>

>

3 cheers big man ! I so love to hear good news like that. News that validates mountains of hard work. Way to go !

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Obee said:

>

>

Awesome! Congratulations!

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

On a pretty good run myself. Shot 68 with 7 birdies and my partner and I one a charity 2-man ( i didnt pay to play in) shooting -9 (beter ball) and won $1k in pro shop credit, then we won our courses annual Fall Invitational 2-man shooting a combined -12 2 day better ball. Then this past weekend my partner and I won our member guest 2-man beter ball shooting -5 in which I shot 69 on my own ball and 3 putted the 16h hole par 5 from 35 ft for par. Needless to say my game is rounding right into form at the perfect time, the winter..... lol.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @Obee said:

>

>

That's awesome golf well done!

Not been a massive poster on this forum but reading through these threads and watching how you guys are getting on really is fun to read!

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

> @Obee said:

>

>

Congratulations, Obee!

> @Obee said:

> > @deathbymuffin said:

> > Played in my first tournament ever yesterday (not counting HS golf 22 years ago). SCGA four ball qualifier. I'm a 5.7, so I was super nervous knowing that I was one of the weakest players in the field. We were in good shape until the last 6 holes when the wheels came off and we went +4. Ended up carding an 80 on my own ball on a course that was playing 7250, 75/142, so it was a positive experience for me and bolstered my confidence for future events. Could have easily been a 76 if the yips didn't get me on four consecutive sub-4-footers.

>

> So you were at Carlton Oaks? That course is a beast in tournament conditions.

Yes. It's one tough track for a first timer.

Congrats on the LA win! That's awesome!

> @Obee said:

>

>

Nice going Obee. Let's hear about the round a little.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Little write-up on AmateurGolf.com. Will post more when I have time. It was strange for several reasons. Would have NEVER guessed I was going to win the damn thing. LOL

https://www.amateurgolf.com/golf-tournament-news/25724/Ober-comes-from-four-back-to-grab-Los-Angeles-City-Senior-title

> @TheCityGame said:

> You ran down Dan Sullivan!

Yeah, I finished second to him last year. Guy was on a tear for a while. Was definitely playing some of the best golf in the country for a mid-am there for a couple years. Super pleased to beat him.

Your second day was like when Ken Duke shot 65 at TPC and beat the field by 11 strokes.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> Your second day was like when Ken Duke shot 65 at TPC and beat the field by 11 strokes.

Yeah, it's hard to explain how tough it was. Every pin was in a tough position and the greens were like trampolines. Definitely one of my better competitive rounds ever, all things considered.

Overall a bit of a disappointing year. Only played a couple of tournaments outside of club events. Finished 11th in the N Tex Sr Am in the spring, which was OK for me, it was cold and windy. Club championship in August, played really well day one, shot even par 72 and hit 14 GIR, just couldn't take it low. Day 2 had a horrible first 9 then settled down, I think I shot 78, Finished day three with 75 for tied for 4th. Also played several better ball scramble events this year, won 2 times, second a couple. Last big tournament was the Texas Senior Am in September. Very disappointing. Tough course, with tough greens, scores were fairly high, shot 79 the first day and couldn't keep my driver on the course, hit hybrid all day, but 79 was still competitive. Finished with an 81 day two and missed the cut by one. What hurt the most was a double on the last hole from the fairway after a good drive, thought I hit a really good shot that came up a bit short to a back right pin, hit the fringe and went sideways into a green side bunker that was about 8-10 feet deep, into a bad lie on the downs lope. Hit the lip trying to get it out and left the first one in the sand, and didn't get up and down on the second one.... There is always next year....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @Obee said:

> > Well, I finally did it. I won one. I am now the senior amateur champion of the 2nd largest city in the United States! No matter what, that will always be true! :-)

> >

> > https://www.amateurgolf.com/images/uploads/00057507.pdf

> >

> > So much to say, I don't even know where to begin....

>

> Nice going Obee. Let's hear about the round a little.

I'm sitting on the train waiting to head home. Delayed due to a "trespasser" (sadly, it's usually a suicide) on the tracks. Might as well get my thoughts down, as it's been a wild year. This is a long one, so settle in if you dare!!

I started the year playing pretty well, and then went on a nice run in the middle of the year where I won my club's match play club championship, then our member-member, and then recently our member-guest. But about three months ago, my back spasms kicked up something fierce. I can barely get through 9 holes without them getting to the point where I have to completely alter my swing.

NOTHING seems to help, not stretching, not rest, not massage, nothing. So I've just resigned myself to my "Gary Player" step through swing when it gets real bad, and I'm also always prepared to just walk in. I've played enough golf now that if I have to do that, I will. Have only had to do it once in the last two years, but every round I play I feel like I'm one bad swing away from WD'ing. And that's not fun. LOL

Anywho, I sign up for the LA City Senior because I played last year and finished 2nd to Dan Sullivan, a very, very good player. I figured I'd try again this year. Well as the date approached, I felt more and more like WDing because my back was so bad. But I figured I'd go ahead and play and last as long as I could.

Day 1 I started out horribly. Bad approach (dead into the sun where you can barely see first thing on the morning!) on number one leads to a bogey. Then a routine par, then a double-bogey on three and I'm already feeling not that great with my back tightening up. I was literally two holes from walking in and I said, "No, just finish it out. If you shoot 88, you shoot 88. Then you can WD after round 1."

So I stuck it out, switched to my step-through swing and shot 3-under the next 15 holes to shoot even par. Course was playing easy(ish) though, so I was four back and T-9.

I drove the 1.5 hours home after the round and my back just got worse and worse and worse. Could barely get out of the car when I got home. Went to bed thinking there was no way I would be able to play on Sunday morning.

Got up and felt ... meh. Figured I'd give it a try, so I drove back the 1.5 hours and stretched for 20 minutes, hit 15 balls and teed it up with ZERO expectations of winning, let alone breaking par.

Day 1 was on the Harding course, with a rating of 70.5. Day 2 is at Wilson, and we played the back tees, to a rating of about 73.5. It was dry and there was a bit of wind. What no one was expecting was the firmness of (most of) the greens, nor were they expecting the sadistic pins.

Haven't done a hole-by-hole in a while, so here goes:

1) 565 par 5: Drive down the middle. 3-wood lay-up to 94, uphill to a tucked right pin. SW to 14 feet. 2 putts for PAR. EVEN.

2) 445 par 4 (downhill): Drive down the middle. 6H from 178 to 25 feet underneath the hole and in the short grass. Use putter through the kikuya to a foot. Tap-in for PAR. EVEN.

3) 191 par 3 (uphill): 2H pin high and right. Pitch up to 6 feet and miss the putt. Other guy in my group landed a 4H about a pace in front of the pin and trampolined WAY over the back of the green, which was far firmer than the first two. We figured that was an anomaly. BOGEY. 1-OVER

4) 334 par 4 (downhill on tee shot): Lay-up down middle with 2H. 121 to tucked left pin. Hit PW to a foot. BIRDIE. EVEN.

I actually hit my shot a bit on the toe and I thought I was going to be well short, but the first bounce was huge and my ball stopped right next to the flag. I DEFINITELY took notice of that and decided that ALL greens NOT in the shade were going to be very, very firm and I would play my approaches accordingly.

5) 370 par 4 (dogleg uphill and to right): Drive down left-center. PW from 109 uphill to tucked back pin to 14 feet. 2 putts for PAR. EVEN

6) 390 par 4 (dogleg right): Drive down the middle. Perfect cut 8-iron into the wind from 135 that take a first bounce and goes all the way over the back of the green. It was at this point that everyone in our group did our best Keanu Reaves impression: "Whoah." I thought I hit another shot to a foot. Chipped up to 4 feet. Make. PAR. EVEN

7) 400 par 4: Drive in fairway. 7H to 22 feet. 2 putts for PAR. EVEN.

8) 432 par 4: Drive down the middle. 4H from 191 to 40 feet and in a nasty spot to put to a tucked back-right pin. Judge it nicely and 2-putt for PAR. EVEN.

At this point I'm starting to feel pretty shitty in my back. I'm driving the ball straight, and my putting feels good (I have made all of the 2.5 to 4-foot putts so far), but my back is tightening up big-time. I'm doing my stretches (standing piriformis stretch) between almost every shot at this point. As long as I keep doing that, I can usually carry on for a while..

9) 570 par 5: Drive down the middle. 3-wood lay-up into an awful, muddy lie in the middle of a divot to a tucked, back pin. Take out my 6H and slam down on the back to hit a punch that lands on the front and chases back to the hole. I pull it off just like I want and the ball rolls just over the green onto the fringe about 18 feet. 2 easy putts for PAR. EVEN

10) 415 par 4: Drive down the middle. Hard, low 8-iron from 162 to a back pin that I judge nicely and hit to 2 feet. BIRDIE. 1-UNDER.

At this point, I'm well ahead of both of my playing partners, both of whom have had a couple big numbers, and one of whom is struggling with the putter a bit. I'm thinking, "Hmmmm. I could sneak into a nice 2nd or 3rd if I keep this up. Keep stretching!" So I do.

11) 205 par 3: 2H pin high and just left of green. Tough little pitch out of the Kikuyu rough that I hit to 5 feet. Make it for PAR. 1-UNDER

12) 380 par 4: Drive down the middle. Draw 7H from 161 to tucked left pin to 15 feet. 2 putts for PAR. 1-UNDER

13) 388 par 4 (uphill on approach): Drive down middle, but another mud ball and right in a divot. 154 uphill to a super-tucked right pin. Slam down and across to try to take the right bunker out of play and masse one around it. Catch the edge of the bunker and kicks it left onto the green. Have a 45 footer, but I can't go right at the pin if I want to make it. I would have to go WAY up in the Kikuyu fringe and I decide to play it safe and lag to about 6 feet, which was the best I could do without taking it over a good 20 feet of fringe, which was risky. I make the 6-foot par save. Yes! PAR. 1-UNDER.

I knew that putt was big. Very pleased.

14) 560 par 5: Drive down middle. 3-wood lay-up. Crappy SW from 96 to 15 feet. 2 putts for PAR. EVEN.

15) 157 par 3 (uphill and into the wind a touch): Nice, cut 6H to 20 feet. 2 putts for PAR. EVEN.

16) 435 par 4: Best drive of the day, right down the middle and long (for me. LOL!) 191 to a left pin. Hit a perfect 4H to 6 feet and make the BIRDIE to get to 2-UNDER. In the past, there is no way I finish strong like this. The only way I can close now is because I failed so, so many times over the years. I realized my tendencies under pressure and I fixed them, a little bit at a time. SUPER happy to have pulled off both the drive and the approach.

17) 400 par 4 (downhill): Back is super tight now. Drive down the left center. 8-iron from 151 to 18 feet just on the back fringe. Super sloped putt.

As I'm waiting to putt, I see a friend in the final group on an adjacent hole. I wave and he motions that he is "1-up" on the other guy in the group, so he's probably leading. I mouth "How many under???" He can't understand me, so he walks over. "Where do you stand?" I ask. "I'm 1-up on Dan (Sullivan)." He then asks where I am for the day. I tell him I'm 2-under. He looks at me shocked: "You're leading, dude."

I was NOT prepared for that. LOL

After I made the birdie to get to 2-under on 10, my buddy, Keith, in my group kept saying, "You're probably right there, bud. Keep it going," but I just didn't think there was any way I could be leading a that point. Then Iain confirmed it.

In the past, that would have DESTROYED me. I would have ganked my putt and 3-jacked for sure. Someway, somehow, I would have left that hole with a bogey. But I let it process for a moment, gathered myself, and OUT LOUD (but very quietly) said: "You're going to nestle this right up by the hole." And I then attempted to do just that. LOL.

That putt was faster than any putt I had faced that day and once it got to the hole, it kept trickling and trickling. It finally stopped about 4 feet past the hole. I stood behind the ball and thought: "The old David would miss this putt. You're NOT going to miss this putt." I went through my complete routine and made it dead in the heart. PAR. 2-UNDER.

18) 400 par 4 (Uphill): Back is very tight and the 18th hole tee shot is uphill, which is a killer for me back. I teed the ball up high and focused on turning through the ball in one piece with my torso with zero arm separation after impact to take pressure off my back. Hit a nice drive, but only about 225 and just into the left rough.

I had another uphill shot (again, really bad for my back for some reason). Was 168 to a front-right pin. The green is severely sloped there. I did NOT want to be long, so I elected to hit a 6H, which is normally a 170 club for me, but it was uphill. Still, I felt like it was the right club if I landed it short and let it hop up the hill. There was no way I could elevate the ball, so that was my best shot. I hit it just the way I wanted, but I ended up about 7 or 8 paces short of the green in Kikuyu grass mown to fairway height.

Pin is tucked left and there's significant slope into me. I bring both LW and putter and I instantly know I'll be putting it when I see the ball. It's sitting down in a little dead patch. Last thing I want to do is mishit this shot and blade it or chunk it, and I frequently practice putting from the fairway grass. I step up to the shot and hit is just the way I want, leaving myself a 4-footer for what I assume will be the win. I'm walking slowly. Thinking slowly and clearly and I go through my whole routine, rushing nothing. I aim it left edge, and I drain it for the win.

2-UNDER 70.

YES!

That is my first open field tournament win in my life. I have some nice finishes in some decent events, but no wins. I've won a couple club championships and a whole bunch of invitationals and member-guests and member-members, but I've never won a city or county amateur or an SCGA event. I had resigned myself to maybe never winning anything that really mattered to me, and I was actually okay with that. I'm in bad physical shape and my back is a mess, so I figured, "Oh well."

Well I finally did it, and I did it against a strong (though admittedly not super-deep) SoCal field, which makes it even more meaningful.

If you read all (or any!) of this, thank you. :-)

David

• Like 3

Congratulations David!!! Richard just told me and that is so great!! We are so happy for you!! I was in the shower this morning as I am playing in an event across the city and I heard Richard get in as I was rinsing my hair andy was I wondered “WTH,” as I usually am up and out before he’s moving and the morning shower is usually not “our time,” hahaha. So when I asked Richard to what did I owe his presence he smiled and replied “Obes won the the LA Senior Championship, let’s celebrate,” haha. You seem to motivate him where I do not, hahaha. He’s definitely feeling better and I’m so glad that you are too. I know that its been a struggle with your back.

I’ve gotta run but you made our day David!! Thank you for the message. I know that Richard will drop in to offer his congratulations. Take care of your back!! Fondly, Maddie ??

Obee, that is an awesome recap, and some seriously un-sexy golf. . .6-hybrids landing in front and rolling out, putting from the fairway, playing away from the pin on a sand shot.

(your holes 14 and 15, you put yourself back at EVEN in your recap. I think you mean 1 UNDER).

Huge takeaways. . .

1) "drive down the middle." "drive down the middle." "drive down the middle." "drive down the middle." Just not a single lost shot with the driver all day. Also, I've played with Obee, when he says he had 191 in on 435 yard par 4 and that was a big drive, he means it. And it sounds like it was firm out there.

2) Learning how to play with the bad back, "I'm doing my stretches (standing piriformis stretch) between almost every shot at this point. As long as I keep doing that, I can usually carry on for a while." nice.

3) Knowing your tendencies coming into 17 & 18. I noticed this in my own game at some point. Have a great round going and start thinking about it, or you get a thought like, "I can finish with 2 bogeys and still shoot 74" or "wow, I played a match with this guy and I made it to the last couple holes". Or in Obee's case, "I could still finish 2nd or 3rd and after yesterday, that's great". Getting through that barrier is huge. I noticed at some point how I kept blowing matches against guys (including Obee) because of poor late play and it's a hole I feel like I've patched (e.g. I made a huge birdie on 18 in Club vs Club matches this year to halve the back and turn our match from 2 points to 2.5 points. My favorite 3 shots I've hit all year. Winning the front and the 18, we had already played better than our expectations against "better" golfers, but I had no desire to lose the back that day.)

4) Reading between the lines. . .just how straight and how good the distance control is on the approach shots. . .15 feet here, pin high in the left rough there, roll through to the fringe for a back pin.

5) Not even a great putting day. Missed one 6 footer, didn't make any bombs. (I'm thinking about that other guy's thread in this forum right now about getting better at putting from 10-25 feet).

Congrats, Obee. Thanks for the hole by hole.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Bro, that’s FANTASTIC!!! Seriously, you made my day!! Knowing how trying your your year and season has been makes it that much sweeter!!

The fact that Sullivan wilted that second round makes it even sweeter!!! Jesus, you’re gonna be a diabetic as a result of all of the sweet ironies, lolol??

Lolol, I also see that Maddie told you and the guys how and where I told her, lolol. She must be really comfortable with you all cuz she’s always elbowin, kickin me under the table and whispering sweet “STFups” in my ear when I bring “stuff” up??

Anyhoo, Congratz again my Friend?

To continued Success?

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Great stuff Obee. Congratulations and especially on holding it together after you heard where you stood. That's always tough to find out something like that.

Sorry to hear about your back. That really sucks. I'm going through PT on mine at the moment. My lower back seized up last Christmas and it got to the point where it took me 20 minutes to get out of bed. I could hardly move. PT and medication got mine better, but then it went again a couple of weeks ago. Now back on both PT and meds. I have a tournament on Monday and Tuesday. Not sure how I'm going to play. The walk through thing sounds like a good start! The standing pyriformis stretch - is that put your right ankle above your left knee and then squat down?

Mine gets better when I do a hip flexor stretch and try to loosen up my hamstrings.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Just found this thread so I guess I can quickly recap the last 3 tournaments of my year.

The first was a 2 day college style tournament (5 players, top 4 scores count) with the teams being all the local clubs in the area. First round was at our home course and I fired a 4 under 67 to lead by 2. Was 2 over after 3 holes so I turned that round around very nicely. Second round was at a different course and the greens were almost done recovering from being punched. I missed a couple putts early due to bumps and even though I came back and shot 1 under on the day, I ended up losing the individual portion of the tournament by 1. Our team finished second as well. Ouch, but played very well.

The next 2 weekends were fourball tournaments with a friend of mine who is going through a rough golfing patch. First tourney with him was the USGA fourball qualifier and we did not play well. We shot 1 over together but got to watch our partners hole out on the 17th hole to get to 8 under. (they ended up losing in a playoff and are first alternates).

The last tournament of the year is an invitational better ball at our home course. My partner had his worst weekend of the year and ended up only helping me on 1 hole all weekend. But, I admit, it isnt easy to help when I shoot 68 72. We finished 4th in that.

I havent touched a club since that tournament and I may get out once or twice more this year, then it will be time for our trackman simulator golf league over the winter. Next tourney will be the US open qualifier after the philadelphia team matches to start the year. Lots of time to prep, but mostly my goal over the winter will be to swing a club once or twice every two weeks.