GC asks "Is Jordan Spieth done?"

Jordan Speeth

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, its totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldnt care less about his resume. I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. Thats the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. Thats why you dont hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

Lol. Act like pros. How does a pro act ? Cuss fights with himself ? Club breaking ? Thats a made up description in YOUR head.

Hes a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore hes always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isnt a pro.

I’m not saying he’s not a great player. He clearly is. I’m merely stating my opinion that his act on the course is getting old for a lot of people. It doesn’t come off as a competitive fire, ala Tiger, it comes off as being a whiner. Again, I’m not saying he doesn’t have competitive fire. It just doesn’t come off that way.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since they started keeping the stat, has anyone ever had an excellent year on tour while finishing below 120th in strokes gained putting?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, it’s totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldn’t care less about his “resume.” I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. That’s the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. That’s why you don’t hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

Lol. Act like pros. How does a pro act ? Cuss fights with himself ? Club breaking ? Thats a made up description in YOUR head.

He’s a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore he’s always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn’t a pro.

I’m not saying he’s not a great player. He clearly is. I’m merely stating my opinion that his act on the course is getting old for a lot of people. It doesn’t come off as a competitive fire, ala Tiger, it comes off as being a whiner. Again, I’m not saying he doesn’t have competitive fire. It just doesn’t come off that way.

And that’s fine. You are entitled to your view for sure. But I’m telling you there are 10x more people who ENJOY his vocal type style. And identify with it. I’m one of those people. And I m telling you you misunderstand what he’s saying. It’s not a temper tantrum. You’ve not seen him loose his cool. It’s just a outward conversation with himself. That’s all. I do it too. Tsk to myself all day it’s a way of flushing it out of your mind. Think of that shot on 18 Friday. Drew a bad lie. It squirted left. He briefly said “ why can’t it come out just once straight “. Then walked away , focused and nearly drained the eagle pitch to make the cut. Is that the actions of a guy “ whining and having an angry tantrum “? Nope. He would still be on the last shot if that’s what he was doing. Think billy horschel ... or pat perez. When they start talking to a lie in the rough you may see them cuss and raise hell flr 3 more holes. Why ? They are having a fit. What Jordan is doing is simply talking to himself. Not the same thing.

Plenty of people hate tiger. Doesn’t make any difference in the end. He’s stilll great.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, it’s totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldn’t care less about his “resume.” I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. That’s the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. That’s why you don’t hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

He’s a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore he’s always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn’t a pro.

11 and 3 is Tiger & Jack territory? He was being compared to their start but has seriously tapered off. I expect he'll find it but the days of uber confidence might be waning.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

He will win more majors, I would think. But he will finish with around 8-10 career majors, at most.

He caught lightning in a bottle in 2015, making 27.19% of putts from 15-25 feet. That's the highest percentage anyone has ever achieved, since they started keeping the stat in 2004. And Spieth hasn't been able to duplicate that since.

He is not overwhelmingly talented enough to dominate today's Tour. But I definitely see him being a staple in the top 15 over the next 10 years.

His greatest asset is his mind, in my opinion. He is a very critical thinker and he seems to really care about doing well, which will serve him very well.

I do think he’s going to get to 8-10 majors.

What does he have, 4? And one of those was a three putt on 18 gift from DJ on that sh!tty course.

Everybody forgets about the 3 wood to 12 ft he had to hit on 18 to be in position. It only looked like DJ gave it away because they weren’t in the same group. If they are in same group the story is spieth makes birdie to win. Which is what happened.

After he gave it away on the previous hole don't forget with a double. At best he should have been in a playoff but was gifted a W.

11 and 3 is Tiger & Jack territory? He was being compared to their start but has seriously tapered off. I expect he'll find it but the days of uber confidence might be waning.

I’m not going to list all stats. But checkout wins by certain young ages. Majors by certain young ages. Am titles , etc. it mirrors jack and tiger closer than most anybody.

Sure. He has to keep it up and didn’t last year. But the sky’s falling people are going to eat crow , wait and see.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And that’s fine. You are entitled to your view for sure. But I’m telling you there are 10x more people who ENJOY his vocal type style. And identify with it. I’m one of those people. And I m telling you you misunderstand what he’s saying. It’s not a temper tantrum. You’ve not seen him loose his cool. It’s just a outward conversation with himself. That’s all. I do it too. Tsk to myself all day it’s a way of flushing it out of your mind. Think of that shot on 18 Friday. Drew a bad lie. It squirted left. He briefly said “ why can’t it come out just once straight “. Then walked away , focused and nearly drained the eagle pitch to make the cut. Is that the actions of a guy “ whining and having an angry tantrum “? Nope. He would still be on the last shot if that’s what he was doing. Think billy horschel ... or pat perez. When they start talking to a lie in the rough you may see them cuss and raise hell flr 3 more holes. Why ? They are having a fit. What Jordan is doing is simply talking to himself. Not the same thing.

Plenty of people hate tiger. Doesn’t make any difference in the end. He’s stilll great.

How about when he took a picture of his ball in the bunker????

In the PGA tour highlight videos, he's often complaining about a bad bounce. Maybe it was but he could have also hit it 5 yards less offline.

Again, a great talent with heart/grit. But a whiner...

Age comparisons at 24 when he had a head start age wise? That's from a year and a half ago. Since he has more MC than top 10's.

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, it's totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldn't care less about his "resume." I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. That's the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. That's why you don't hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

He's a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore he's always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn't a pro.

I'm not saying he's not a great player. He clearly is. I'm merely stating my opinion that his act on the course is getting old for a lot of people. It doesn't come off as a competitive fire, ala Tiger, it comes off as being a whiner. Again, I'm not saying he doesn't have competitive fire. It just doesn't come off that way.

And that's fine. You are entitled to your view for sure. But I'm telling you there are 10x more people who ENJOY his vocal type style. And identify with it. I'm one of those people. And I m telling you you misunderstand what he's saying. It's not a temper tantrum. You've not seen him loose his cool. It's just a outward conversation with himself. That's all. I do it too. Tsk to myself all day it's a way of flushing it out of your mind. Think of that shot on 18 Friday. Drew a bad lie. It squirted left. He briefly said " why can't it come out just once straight ". Then walked away , focused and nearly drained the eagle pitch to make the cut. Is that the actions of a guy " whining and having an angry tantrum "? Nope. He would still be on the last shot if that's what he was doing. Think billy horschel ... or pat perez. When they start talking to a lie in the rough you may see them cuss and raise hell flr 3 more holes. Why ? They are having a fit. What Jordan is doing is simply talking to himself. Not the same thing.

Plenty of people hate tiger. Doesn't make any difference in the end. He's stilll great.

How about when he took a picture of his ball in the bunker?

In the PGA tour highlight videos, he's often complaining about a bad bounce. Maybe it was but he could have also hit it 5 yards less offline.

Again, a great talent with heart/grit. But a whiner...

agree to disagree... i personally think the guys who whine about his whining are funny.. they cant see their own self . Maybe im a whiner? if so , so be it ... but those that whine about someone else whining ? come on..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

http://amp.pga.com/n...s-24th-birthday

Quick link after 3 second search.

Age comparisons at 24 when he had a head start age wise? That's from a year and a half ago. Since he has more MC than top 10's.

lol...lets not move teh goal posts ... I said he has to step up to keep that pace this year .. jack didnt get the grand slam till age 26...so he can still keep step... all i said was he was only player to keep pace with tiger and jack through 24... article shows thats true

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

lol...lets not move teh goal posts ... I said he has to step up to keep that pace this year .. jack didnt get the grand slam till age 26...so he can still keep step... all i said was he was only player to keep pace with tiger and jack through 24... article shows thats true

We'll see if he is better than Rory. Rory had 4 majors, and three legs of slam, at age 25. He was drawing those comparisons as well.

We'll see if he is better than Rory. Rory had 4 majors, and three legs of slam, at age 25. He was drawing those comparisons as well.

Man I said that too !! I said “ save for Rory “. Loll.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Originally you said "Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn’t a pro."

You must have meant through age 24, because obviously otherwise it isn't true. There are lots of guys who share more stats with tiger and jack like wins, majors, etc.

I agree that Spieth has accomplished a lot for his age, obviously. Especially in majors.

But it remains to be seen if he goes down as an all time great or an all time bust. If he never wins another major it'll be a major disappointment :tomato: . I expect that he will win a few more but he has to get his head and his putting figured out.

There's no chance he keeps up with the winning pace that Tiger and Jack had. He's just not nearly as dominant or talented as those guys, sorry. His ceiling is more like Nick Faldo or Phil's career. Which is still obviously a huge career. He might get 1 or 2 more majors than those guys but still not to double digits or close to Tiger/Jack territory. It's just too hard to get there.

Originally you said "Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn’t a pro."

You must have meant through age 24, because obviously otherwise it isn't true. There are lots of guys who share more stats with tiger and jack like wins, majors, etc.

I agree that Spieth has accomplished a lot for his age, obviously. Especially in majors.

But it remains to be seen if he goes down as an all time great or an all time bust. If he never wins another major it'll be a major disappointment :tomato: . I expect that he will win a few more but he has to get his head and his putting figured out.

There's no chance he keeps up with the winning pace that Tiger and Jack had. He's just not nearly as dominant or talented as those guys, sorry. His ceiling is more like Nick Faldo or Phil's career. Which is still obviously a huge career. He might get 1 or 2 more majors than those guys but still not to double digits or close to Tiger/Jack territory. It's just too hard to get there.

Yes. I meant through his actual age. Which I think now is 25. Wasn’t projecting out 20 years. ? Lol. How else could it be meant. Comparing his career to people who have completed a career makes no sense.

As for ceiling. We shall see. I agree with the 8-10 major number. He is similar to Phil. But he has no tiger to play against. Not for much longer anyway.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's not the achievements in and of themselves, for the individual athlete, it's the thought that these mega-fans won't get the vicarious pleasure along the way. "They" NEED him to continue doing well, any talk to the contrary and well, you might as well be stabbing their baby. LOL!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Originally you said "Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn't a pro."

Yes. I meant through his actual age. Which I think now is 25. Wasn't projecting out 20 years. ? Lol. How else could it be meant. Comparing his career to people who have completed a career makes no sense.

As for ceiling. We shall see. I agree with the 8-10 major number. He is similar to Phil. But he has no tiger to play against. Not for much longer anyway.

I'd take the under on 8 majors. Not that I am convinced he can't do it, but it's just a huge number in historical context (even considering that he already has three at 25 years old).

In the last ~30 years, Faldo and Mickelson have the most outside of Woods at 6 and 5 majors. I guess if he matches their careers from 25 years onwards, he'd be there. Maybe you can also argue that Phil should have more through a combination of missed opportunities and playing against Woods. Of course, it's impossible to know exactly what Phil would have done if Tiger never came along. Also, I'm not sure how many of his 11 2nd place finishes he really "blew." 2006 US Open he needed 1 more par despite driving it horribly all day (blew it). Some of his 2nds he made a big run (2009 US Open, 2011 Open. The 2009 Masters was not a 2nd but he was right there after shooting 30 on the front 9) and just couldn't quite get it done. There were also a lot of tournaments where he was right there but didn't win (1999 US Open, 2001 PGA, 2004 US Open, 2016 Open, etc). Given his ability/career, he may have been considered the favorite on Sunday, but its not like he pulled a Norman at the 1996 Masters.

A lot of these were similar to Spieth at 2018 Masters (was way back) and 2014 Masters/2018 Open...

I do hope Spieth wins the the PGA (and Rory the Masters) just for the historical context. It will be quite funny if they take the first two majors next year and complete the slam. They will have gone from "done" to historical feats in 6 months. Then the pathway to 8-10 will seem obvious...

It's not the achievements in and of themselves, for the individual athlete, it's the thought that these mega-fans won't get the vicarious pleasure along the way. "They" NEED him to continue doing well, any talk to the contrary and well, you might as well be stabbing their baby. LOL!

Easily spin that around and say that the “ hey he’s got a chicken wing “ crowd NEEDS him to fail to fit their narrative. Works both ways.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agolf1-

Overall I can agree with this. I do believe both NEED to fulfill the grand slam quota To unlock the rest of their potentials.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Originally you said "Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn't a pro."

I'd take the under on 8 majors. Not that I am convinced he can't do it, but it's just a huge number in historical context (even considering that he already has three at 25 years old).

In the last ~30 years, Faldo and Mickelson have the most outside of Woods at 6 and 5 majors. I guess if he matches their careers from 25 years onwards, he'd be there. Maybe you can also argue that Phil should have more through a combination of missed opportunities and playing against Woods. Of course, it's impossible to know exactly what Phil would have done if Tiger never came along. Also, I'm not sure how many of his 11 2nd place finishes he really "blew." 2006 US Open he needed 1 more par despite driving it horribly all day (blew it). Some of his 2nds he made a big run (2009 US Open, 2011 Open. The 2009 Masters was not a 2nd but he was right there after shooting 30 on the front 9) and just couldn't quite get it done. There were also a lot of tournaments where he was right there but didn't win (1999 US Open, 2001 PGA, 2004 US Open, 2016 Open, etc). Given his ability/career, he may have been considered the favorite on Sunday, but its not like he pulled a Norman at the 1996 Masters.

A lot of these were similar to Spieth at 2018 Masters (was way back) and 2014 Masters/2018 Open...

I do hope Spieth wins the the PGA (and Rory the Masters) just for the historical context. It will be quite funny if they take the first two majors next year and complete the slam. They will have gone from "done" to historical feats in 6 months. Then the pathway to 8-10 will seem obvious...

The path will not change from what it is now. The same as the one that seemed “obvious “ for Tiger, Arnie, Seve and Tom and others. When will we fans learn that prior success does not always deliver future success?

Couldn’t agree more. I love getting a slap on the wrist for daring to speak a bad word about Lord Jordan.

The path will not change from what it is now. The same as the one that seemed “obvious “ for Tiger, Arnie, Seve and Tom and others. When will we fans learn that prior success does not always deliver future success?

I guess you couldn't tell I was joking. My point was if he wins again, then it will seem (or at least be perceived by many) that he is unstoppable and a pile of majors is just ahead (just needs to play X tournaments x Y% winning percentage, he hits it "long enough," it's not really his driving woes but his ability to make putts down the stretch, etc, etc, etc).

The best statement about Spieth and majors is that he currently has three, and if he wins another one then he will have four.

Jordan needs to shake some things up a little bit. I understand that they have been together forever but a split with McCormick could not be the worse thing in the world. It is not bad to get a new perspective on things (especially putting). Of course thats just my opinion.

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, its totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldnt care less about his resume. I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. Thats the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. Thats why you dont hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

Hes a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore hes always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isnt a pro.

Im not going to list all stats. But checkout wins by certain young ages. Majors by certain young ages. Am titles , etc. it mirrors jack and tiger closer than most anybody.

Sure. He has to keep it up and didnt last year. But the skys falling people are going to eat crow , wait and see.

You need to look at wins and majors by STARTS, not age. Don’t fall into that silliness like the GC click bait guys do.

Then you will quickly find that Jordan is far far from a Jack or a Tiger.

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, it's totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldn't care less about his "resume." I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. That's the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. That's why you don't hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

He's a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore he's always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn't a pro.

I'm not saying he's not a great player. He clearly is. I'm merely stating my opinion that his act on the course is getting old for a lot of people. It doesn't come off as a competitive fire, ala Tiger, it comes off as being a whiner. Again, I'm not saying he doesn't have competitive fire. It just doesn't come off that way.

And that's fine. You are entitled to your view for sure. But I'm telling you there are 10x more people who ENJOY his vocal type style. And identify with it. I'm one of those people. And I m telling you you misunderstand what he's saying. It's not a temper tantrum. You've not seen him loose his cool. It's just a outward conversation with himself. That's all. I do it too. Tsk to myself all day it's a way of flushing it out of your mind. Think of that shot on 18 Friday. Drew a bad lie. It squirted left. He briefly said " why can't it come out just once straight ". Then walked away , focused and nearly drained the eagle pitch to make the cut. Is that the actions of a guy " whining and having an angry tantrum "? Nope. He would still be on the last shot if that's what he was doing. Think billy horschel ... or pat perez. When they start talking to a lie in the rough you may see them cuss and raise hell flr 3 more holes. Why ? They are having a fit. What Jordan is doing is simply talking to himself. Not the same thing.

Plenty of people hate tiger. Doesn't make any difference in the end. He's stilll great.

Sorry but Jordan (and rightly so) has an increasing reputation for whining/mini temper tantrums. And I say this as a big fan of Jordan’s. Last year when Jordan was whining, blaming and embarrassing his caddie for his own actions and result of a swing, this is NOT an “outward conversation with himself”. Again, I’ve already highlighted to this fact of him getting into these states of “emotional overwhelm”. Further evidence supports this reality when Jordan felt the need to publicly apologise for his poor behaviour/treatment of his caddie, gallery and viewing public. These actions & subsequent damage control are NOT the actions of a golfer simply having an “outward conversation with himself”. Sorry.

For his own brand perception, I hope Jordan can sort his head out in 2019 (and going forward) far better than he was doing in 2017 & 2018.

Sorry but Jordan (and rightly so) has an increasing reputation for whining/mini temper tantrums. And I say this as a big fan of Jordan’s. Last year when Jordan was whining, blaming and embarrassing his caddie for his own actions and result of a swing, this is NOT an “outward conversation with himself”. Again, I’ve already highlighted to this fact of him getting into these states of “emotional overwhelm”. Further evidence supports this reality when Jordan felt the need to publicly apologise for his poor behaviour/treatment of his caddie, gallery and viewing public. These actions & subsequent damage control are NOT the actions of a golfer simply having an “outward conversation with himself”. Sorry.

For his own brand perception, I hope Jordan can sort his head out in 2019 (and going forward) far better than he was doing in 2017 & 2018.

I don’t think anyone thinks that I’m saying he’s a perfect saint. But we aren’t seeing the cuss tirades , club breaking and general out of control behavior of some of the tours princes. Compared to most he’s pretty tame.

What I’m referring to is that ANY time he speaks to his ball or complains of anything on course some jack wagon will post about him “ whining “ . As if every player doesn’t do that from time to time. I hear this from guys who I’ve also read complain of his terrible swing , and short distance . They genuinely are mad that he is a star with what they perceive to be less talent than they have. It’s silly. When guys post in a jovial way to let all know “ I told you so “ when someone is down. It speaks volumes to their true motives and thoughts. And no. I’m NOT accusing you of this at all. Just explaining my stance.

I agree it was a terrible year by his standards. Frustrations run high. But that’s it. The sky is not falling.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock