Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

15 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

They are devaluing the ONE membership again starting 4/1.  I will probably drop it, access to the courses I want to play is to hard to get and now they are charging additional fees.  I'd rather just go play a public at a time that is convenient for me at at this point when traveling.

How does devaluing the ONE membership impact the Playaway program?

29 minutes ago, Alex H said:

I got an email from my club about the change from ONE to XLife, but couldn't really find many resources on what the actual changes were. Does anyone know a good resource that outlines it?

I don't think it exists really other than the email.  Looks like the benefit finder is down. 

Food change is a big one.. went from *Free* to 25% off at the out of area dining clubs

Golf wise the change depends upon the level your club is.  Mine is green so it appears I will have to pay $50 + cart so ~$75 to play the nicest courses vs 25 previously.  If your club is the new blue (maybe yellow) level, golf wise this is probably a positive change. 

Edited by oneunderbogey

43 minutes ago, Alex H said:

I got an email from my club about the change from ONE to XLife, but couldn't really find many resources on what the actual changes were. Does anyone know a good resource that outlines it?

I see.  The Benefits Finder is not working now so it seems like they are making significant changes.  My guess is that they are going to add a tier system to the clubs.  So if you are a member of say a top tier club you have access to all clubs.  If you are in a low tier then you have access to only low tier clubs.  Seems like they already did this with the Play Away program but more changes may happen.

I got an email yesterday about the new "benefit".  I belong to a club and am not a travel member. This is how I interpret the new plan: 

It said I am part of a local metro group (7 clubs) of courses that I can still play. However the play has dropped to four plays per month per membership. Previous I could play a different course each day (max 2 plays per course/month).  Thus up to 14 plays per month at other courses. This was always a great option to have when we aerated or performed other maintenance. Outside of my metro group the benefits are the same - 2 plays per club per month with unlimited number of courses to play per month.   I'd prefer it were flipped as I have more access to the 7 other clubs in my area (all within about one hour) than going cross country to play courses.  

1 hour ago, theebdk said:

I see.  The Benefits Finder is not working now so it seems like they are making significant changes.  My guess is that they are going to add a tier system to the clubs.  So if you are a member of say a top tier club you have access to all clubs.  If you are in a low tier then you have access to only low tier clubs.  Seems like they already did this with the Play Away program but more changes may happen.

Oh sounds like my email had more details than yours.  Yes its a tier system.  Looks like everyone still has access to all clubs but you have to pay an additional fee to play clubs above your tier level.  They are trying to make it sound like its about tee sheet access but its an attempt to make more money of course.  

https://indd.adobe.com/view/8e1974f5-5928-46e2-aa03-286954ad52f0

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if these changes will also make there way down to the Play Away program.  We already had massive changes last year.  Some of the courses on the list, especially the top tier, we can no longer play.  Perhaps they add some of them back for a fee?  Would be nice as long as they do not start charging for the current cart fee only courses.  I would also like a discount for the city club dining. 

4 minutes ago, flushem said:

I m torn.  very sad.  it is nicer way to say that CC does not want us.  

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1796556-massive-cost-increase-from-last-year-to-this-year/?do=findComment&comment=23447854

Here is a link to another ClubCorp thread dealing with price increases.  This is my analysis and opinion only.  They do want you by the way, but please contribute more to the bottom line.

4 minutes ago, theebdk said:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1796556-massive-cost-increase-from-last-year-to-this-year/?do=findComment&comment=23447854

Here is a link to another ClubCorp thread dealing with price increases.  This is my analysis and opinion only.  They do want you by the way, but please contribute more to the bottom line.

well taken.  it is business.  About the monthly due increase, I don't feel bad after all.    

Here's my take on the changes as a signature gold unlimited member (affiliate club not clubcorp owned).  I joined up in 2012.  I've probably played 30 times (if that) and utilized the dining less than a dozen times.  So payed $5400 for 30 rounds of golf (that had an additional cart fee and occasionally a guest fee) and 24 dinners (that brought in alcohol revenue, tax and tips for servers at places that were usually empty).

I figure I wasn't unusual. I have a home club and play most of my golf there.  Occasionally traveling and utilizing the benefit (there were multiple years I never used the travel benefit).  At $50 additional to my membership fees per month I didn't really think much of it.

ClubCorp was bought by Apollo in 2017 and around the same time the ClubCorp Travel/Play Away came into existence.  Figure Apollo looked at people like me and saw a great profit margin.  Like most corporations Apollo wanted their profits to grow but their customer base was limited by their membership model so I'm sure some idiot thought hey lets offer this up to anyone.  They likely failed to understand the membership model is what keeps the travel benefit utilization low. 

I saw references to ClubCorp Travel  on travel hacking sites like pointsguy, flyertalk and places like that.  Places where the members are trying to absolutely maximize their value.  Additionally references from golf nuts on boards like this. 

My guess is those who signed up for the travel/play away memberships only signed up because they ran the numbers and figured it'd be good value for them, nothing like a member at clubs who don't really notice $50 on their bill each month.

So yeah I'm sure a lot of people were playing lots of rounds and eating "free" dinners.

Thanks to the link above I was able to see I'm at a club with a $50 fee plus cart.  I believe I'm still required to pay the additional fees if I visit elsewhere.  It's just that my club is going to get to charge an additional $50, which does nothing for me or the other members at my club.  My club has given me no information about the teirs.  Just crap marketing saying 

Based on Member feedback, an adjustment to traveling golf and dining access is necessary to strike a balance between providing unique, reciprocal, and attainable club access, managing each club’s membership needs, and improving overall Member satisfaction

Over the last year I tried contacting multiple clubs to play and each time was told local members only due to COVID-19.  That was understandable but don't appreciate the marketing BS above, given the fact that the travel benefit was non existent last year.

As silly as it sounds the "free" dinners kept my wife interested in our signature gold.  I'm not exactly sure why she likes it.  She's a vegetarian and most places don't have a single vegetarian meal.  Interestingly last night we used it for the first time in nearly 2 years.  I sent a message to my club contact this morning indicating I'd like to drop the Signature Gold benefit. 

I figure other low utilizers at clubs will also quit, resulting in a spiral where the XLife program ends up being an even bigger money pit and the monthly fee will have to go up.

Edited by act0fgod

37 minutes ago, act0fgod said:

Here's my take on the changes as a signature gold unlimited member (affiliate club not clubcorp owned).  I joined up in 2012.  I've probably played 30 times (if that) and utilized the dining less than a dozen times.  So payed $5400 for 30 rounds of golf (that had an additional cart fee and occasionally a guest fee) and 24 dinners (that brought in alcohol revenue, tax and tips for servers at places that were usually empty).

I figure I wasn't unusual. I have a home club and play most of my golf there.  Occasionally traveling and utilizing the benefit (there were multiple years I never used the travel benefit).  At $50 additional to my membership fees per month I didn't really think much of it.

ClubCorp was bought by Apollo in 2017 and around the same time the ClubCorp Travel/Play Away came into existence.  Figure Apollo looked at people like me and saw a great profit margin.  Like most corporations Apollo wanted their profits to grow but their customer base was limited by their membership model so I'm sure some idiot thought hey lets offer this up to anyone.  They likely failed to understand the membership model is what keeps the travel benefit utilization low. 

I saw references to ClubCorp Travel  on travel hacking sites like pointsguy, flyertalk and places like that.  Places where the members are trying to absolutely maximize their value.  Additionally references from golf nuts on boards like this. 

My guess is those who signed up for the travel/play away memberships only signed up because they ran the numbers and figured it'd be good value for them, nothing like a member at clubs who don't really notice $50 on their bill each month.

So yeah I'm sure a lot of people were playing lots of rounds and eating "free" dinners.

Thanks to the link above I was able to see I'm at a club with a $50 fee plus cart.  I believe I'm still required to pay the additional fees if I visit elsewhere.  It's just that my club is going to get to charge an additional $50, which does nothing for me or the other members at my club.  My club has given me no information about the teirs.  Just crap marketing saying 

Based on Member feedback, an adjustment to traveling golf and dining access is necessary to strike a balance between providing unique, reciprocal, and attainable club access, managing each club’s membership needs, and improving overall Member satisfaction

Over the last year I tried contacting multiple clubs to play and each time was told local members only due to COVID-19.  That was understandable but don't appreciate the marketing BS above, given the fact that the travel benefit was non existent last year.

As silly as it sounds the "free" dinners kept my wife interested in our signature gold.  I'm not exactly sure why she likes it.  She's a vegetarian and most places don't have a single vegetarian meal.  Interestingly last night we used it for the first time in nearly 2 years.  I sent a message to my club contact this morning indicating I'd like to drop the Signature Gold benefit. 

I figure other low utilizers at clubs will also quit, resulting in a spiral where the XLife program ends up being an even bigger money pit and the monthly fee will have to go up.

If you are at blue club then this might actually be a positive change golf wise for you.  Your home club should see less rounds from travelers, theres no additional fee for you and looks like a few courses were added.

https://www.xlifebenefits.com/blue

Edited by oneunderbogey

7 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

If you are at blue club then this might actually be a positive change golf wise for you.  Your home club should see less rounds from travelers, theres no additional fee for you and looks like a few courses were added.

https://www.xlifebenefits.com/blue

Thanks for the link showing there is no traveling fee for members in the blue.  Our club only has 1 or 2 tee times a day available for clubcorp.  I think 1 time a day is the norm at affiliate clubs.

1 hour ago, oneunderbogey said:

I don't think it was Covid really the Play away membership never made sense as a standalone product.  See act0fgods comments above. 

Clubcorp may have eventually changed the program, we'll never know, but we have Covid to thank for loss of service.  Hardly an act of god 😞

Edited by tjblue

Chattanooga, TN

Black Creek Club

This is a really great track that is always in prime condition. It's a Brian Silva design with heavy inspiration from Seth Raynor. Quite strategic, well-bunkered and challenging. There are several sets of tees so you can "choose your adventure." Former host site for a Buy.com Tour event.  

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Two questions:

• Anybody have any idea when the benefit finder will be back up and running?  Need to do some travel research.  Appreciate that they need to update if for these major changes.  But I thought that would have been done in a sandbox version first, piloted, tested, then moved over to the production version.  Therefore, it should only be down for a limited time.
  • Does anyone have any evidence that the Play Away Select program will change from what it is.  Play Away Select is formerly the Travel Program or those without a home Clubcorp owned or affiliated club.  Seems like a lot of the comments have come from members of a Club Corp club or affiliated club.  I have not received any communication and remember our program was significantly changed and downgraded in 2020. 

23 hours ago, theebdk said:

Two questions:

• Anybody have any idea when the benefit finder will be back up and running?  Need to do some travel research.  Appreciate that they need to update if for these major changes.  But I thought that would have been done in a sandbox version first, piloted, tested, then moved over to the production version.  Therefore, it should only be down for a limited time.
  • Does anyone have any evidence that the Play Away Select program will change from what it is.  Play Away Select is formerly the Travel Program or those without a home Clubcorp owned or affiliated club.  Seems like a lot of the comments have come from members of a Club Corp club or affiliated club.  I have not received any communication and remember our program was significantly changed and downgraded in 2020. 

1) You'd think they would of had it ready to go but their websites have always been garbage so who knows.  The list posted above is a good starting point, then you will just have to call.

2) Not that I know of.  I would expect them to kill the program entirely within a few years

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 5:04 PM, act0fgod said:

Looking at the list of courses I do see one benefit.  Pete Dye Golf Club is back.  Somehow only a $25 additional fee.  Looks like Firestone is no longer part of the network and shows as $ sign (like the RTJ trail courses where you supposedly get a discount on peak rate).

Pete Dye Club is gone...bummer.

Edited by tjblue

• 5 months later...

At a Club Corp blue club and spending two weeks in Colorado.

Very good access to courses in Denver area, even on the weekend. Playing Black Bear and Lake Valley for cart fee only this weekend. Also Sonnenalp during the week (near Vail). But getting out to the Aspen Club hasn't worked for any of the dates that I've tried. Overall, the $55 / month seems fair but not great. Because I travel a lot for work and occasionally leisure, I like the option of alternate private club golf.   

• 6 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, Sboooooo1245 said:

Has anyone started using XLife travel? I’m looking at joining a blue tier club, and whether that means I can really use the travel benefits is a big factor. Thanks 

Theres tee times available basically everyday at the listed clubs, they arent prime times though. 

• 3 weeks later...