Schley

> @gvogel said:

> > @freeze16172002 said:

> > nicklaus

> > woods

> > hogan

> > player

> > hagen

> > The first four won all four majors which proves their ball striking was good on any course and different conditions.

> > Hagen won 11 majors but The Masters was after his prime, so in his time he won all professional majors and no doubt would have won the masters if was started before 1934

>

> Hagen wasn't a ball striker, but man could he score. Hagen be more like Seve.

Yeah Hagen was Seve and Phil all in one. A complete psycho with trouble shots.

> @gvogel said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > Wait a second....

> >

> > Did I see someone NOT include Sam in that list???????

> >

> > Seriously?????

> >

> > WTF??????

> >

> > Please bear in mind that he had the SAME SWING FOR OVER SIX DECADES and he won in FIVE OF THOSE DECADES!!!!

> >

> > In 1972, 1973 AND 1974, Sam went T4, T9 & T3 at the age of SIXTY, SIXTY-ONE & SIXTY-TWO YEARS OF AGE IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!

> >

> > A T3 two years prior to gettin his Medicare card in THE Deepest Major on Earth!!!

> >

> > What’d he do, strike it with his feet???

> >

> > At the age of SIXTY-FIVE, he took a T54 IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

> >

> > AT SIXTY-FRIGGIN-FIVE YEARS OF AGE!!!

> >

> > That’s HALF A CENTURY+ OF WORLD CLASS BALL STRIKIN!!!

> >

> > THREE CONSECUTIVE TOP-10’s IN HIS SIXTIES!!!

> >

> > I’m gonna stop there, lol???

> >

> > Oh yea, the other four....

> >

> > ~ Jack

> > ~ Tiger

> > ~ Tom

> > ~ benny boy

> >

> > Lee Trevino???!

> >

> > Look at his Augusta track record!!

> >

> > He couldn’t have challenged there if he cheated!!

> >

> > He’s MAYBE Top-15, but Top-5??

> >

> > A Top-5 should be able to Play ANY Track on earth and at least challenge!!

> >

> > ANGC ate his pot moanin & groanin a** alive!!

> >

> > Augusta OWNED Buck!!

> >

> > I Looooove this place, lol??

> >

> > Stay well Gents?

> > RP

> >

> >

>

> You make a great case for Sam, and I like your list. But I would remove Tom and add Byron.

> When Tom was winning majors, he did it more with his wedge and putter than his driver and irons. His ball striking improved later in life when he toned down the reverse C and tried to come over the top a little - kind of like Sam did.

Hey Bro, I hope all’s well?

You’re absolutely right about Lord Byron over Tom, as from a “pure” swing however my choice of Tom is emotion based, as he has been a friend for almost 30 years and he called and got me through some very dark nights last year with my latest diagnosis. I just spoke with him a few weeks ago. Great Guy!!

Plus, he could’ve easily won a Major at 59yo, and for me, Longevity means something.

A lot of guys can do it for a year, two to five and if you do it for a 10-15 years and cap a Major or two, they call ya HoFer, lolol

Tom’s has basically the same swing and struck the ball the same way for the better part of five decades.

However, removing the emotions, Mr. Nelson struck a ball about as pure as a human male could.

Stay well my Friend & have a great season

Richard

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > Seve?????

> >

> > Nobody who ever Played the game had a short game like Seve cept Paul Runyan.

> >

> > The reason that Seve had to become a magician? with his short game was cuz he put the ball everywhere, anywhere and all places in between~

> >

> > Most the time his swing SUCKED and he couldn’t hit the ball on the same spot three times in a row, and I’m bein generous, as 50-60% of the time, it was twice in a row?

>

> My post was slightly tongue-in-cheek, however I do think there are different types of awesome ballstriking - there's hitting it straight from the fairway or a perfect lie, and there's creating something from nothing to get yourself out of a tight spot. Seve was unsurpassed in that area, and given the number of majors he came back with (including 2 at Augusta, so if you're counting Trevino out because he never won there, then....), he can't have been too shabby at the more conventional stuff as well.

>

> He was also brilliant at winding up his opponents in Ryder Cups ;)

>

> A more conventional ballstriker from the same generation I'd suggest is oor Sandy. One of the most natural talents ever to pick up a golf club, he was lethal with a 1 iron and who can forget that bunker shot on the 18th at Augusta? I still remember the quote from Seve - if everyone played to the best of their natural ability Sandy would win followed by Seve. Shame he tried to fix problems he didn't have an lost all form, then Leadbetter finished him off for good.

>

>

I Loved Seve! He was a GREAT Champion and I’d take that any day all day 7/365 over being a “great” ball striker. The game of golf has always been, is and will always be about putting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes and no one did it better, with more flare or beat guys before they’d hit their first tee shot, with the exception of Tiger, than Seve!!

Nah, you know me when I get in a high horse, lol.

I’m can be an idiot?

Maddie is away at a seminar so I don’t have anyone to tighten the reins, lol??

Seve is my fave all-time Euro Player and I hope that he’s still pullin those miracle shots off and whoopin ole benny boy’s a**, lolol

Have a great season Brother?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > > @Forged4ever said:

> > > Seve?????

> > >

> > > Nobody who ever Played the game had a short game like Seve cept Paul Runyan.

> > >

> > > The reason that Seve had to become a magician? with his short game was cuz he put the ball everywhere, anywhere and all places in between~

> > >

> > > Most the time his swing SUCKED and he couldn’t hit the ball on the same spot three times in a row, and I’m bein generous, as 50-60% of the time, it was twice in a row?

> >

> > My post was slightly tongue-in-cheek, however I do think there are different types of awesome ballstriking - there's hitting it straight from the fairway or a perfect lie, and there's creating something from nothing to get yourself out of a tight spot. Seve was unsurpassed in that area, and given the number of majors he came back with (including 2 at Augusta, so if you're counting Trevino out because he never won there, then....), he can't have been too shabby at the more conventional stuff as well.

> >

> > He was also brilliant at winding up his opponents in Ryder Cups ;)

> >

> > A more conventional ballstriker from the same generation I'd suggest is oor Sandy. One of the most natural talents ever to pick up a golf club, he was lethal with a 1 iron and who can forget that bunker shot on the 18th at Augusta? I still remember the quote from Seve - if everyone played to the best of their natural ability Sandy would win followed by Seve. Shame he tried to fix problems he didn't have an lost all form, then Leadbetter finished him off for good.

> >

> >

>

> I Loved Seve! He was a GREAT Champion and I’d take that any day all day 7/365 over being a “great” ball striker. The game of golf has always been, is and will always be about putting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes and no one did it better, with more flare or beat guys before they’d hit their first tee shot, with the exception of Tiger, than Seve!!

>

> Nah, you know me when I get in a high horse, lol.

>

> I’m can be an idiot?

>

> Maddie is away at a seminar so I don’t have anyone to tighten the reins, lol??

>

> Seve is my fave all-time Euro Player and I hope that he’s still pullin those miracle shots off and whoopin ole benny boy’s a**, lolol

>

> Have a great season Brother?

>

> My Best,

> RP

No worries at all my friend, I think if we were doing the top 5 Shotmakers of all time Seve would be number 1 by a country mile - I've spent longer than is healthy watching videos of him on Youtube - that shot he hit over a wall and swimming pool in Switzerland in 1993 was just ridiculous!

Enjoy!

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @schley said:

> Darth Putter wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

> Lesser ball striker Tom Watson: 8 majors

>

>

>

> Super ball striker Tom Watson: 0 majors with 1 very heart breaking miss

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Putting with yips - very heart breaking miss

>

>

>

> As Paul Harvey would say...... and that is the rest of the story........................

>

>

>

> BTW

>

>

>

> Age 46 - #5 ball striking rank

>

> Age 47 - #9 ball striking rank

But you listed nine years and Watson was #1 on the tour once in ballstrikers. And then he's top 5 all time? How does that work if he's not even the best in his era?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Forged4ever said:

> Wait a second....

>

> Did I see someone NOT include Sam in that list???????

>

> Seriously?????

>

> WTF??????

>

> Please bear in mind that he had the SAME SWING FOR OVER SIX DECADES and he won in FIVE OF THOSE DECADES!!!!

>

> In 1972, 1973 AND 1974, Sam went T4, T9 & T3 at the age of SIXTY, SIXTY-ONE & SIXTY-TWO YEARS OF AGE IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!

>

> A T3 two years prior to gettin his Medicare card in THE Deepest Major on Earth!!!

>

> What’d he do, strike it with his feet???

>

> At the age of SIXTY-FIVE, he took a T54 IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

>

> AT SIXTY-FRIGGIN-FIVE YEARS OF AGE!!!

>

> That’s HALF A CENTURY+ OF WORLD CLASS BALL STRIKIN!!!

>

> THREE CONSECUTIVE TOP-10’s IN HIS SIXTIES!!!

>

> I’m gonna stop there, lol???

>

> Oh yea, the other four....

>

> ~ Jack

> ~ Tiger

> ~ Tom

> ~ benny boy

>

> Lee Trevino???!

>

> Look at his Augusta track record!!

>

> He couldn’t have challenged there if he cheated!!

>

> He’s MAYBE Top-15, but Top-5??

>

> A Top-5 should be able to Play ANY Track on earth and at least challenge!!

>

> ANGC ate his pot moanin & groanin a** alive!!

>

> Augusta OWNED Buck!!

>

> I Looooove this place, lol??

>

> Stay well Gents?

> RP

>

>

Just because I'm in an ornery mood tonight... I'll poke at Richard.

How the hell can you include Sam? The most basic test of ballstring year in and year out is the US Open.

Sam won how many??

Yeah, I thought so. :)

PS all lot of posts have mentioned greens in regulation as a great stat for ballstriking.

BULL!! That is a great stat for timid "away from the pin" play. Not to play to win.

Fun thread- I feel better already. ?

> @Shilgy said:

> > @schley said:

> > Darth Putter wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Lesser ball striker Tom Watson: 8 majors

> >

> >

> >

> > Super ball striker Tom Watson: 0 majors with 1 very heart breaking miss

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Putting with yips - very heart breaking miss

> >

> >

> >

> > As Paul Harvey would say...... and that is the rest of the story........................

> >

> >

> >

> > BTW

> >

> >

> >

> > Age 46 - #5 ball striking rank

> >

> > Age 47 - #9 ball striking rank

>

> But you listed nine years and Watson was #1 on the tour once in ballstrikers. And then he's top 5 all time? How does that work if he's not even the best in his era?

Who said you have to be #1 in ballstriking every year to be considered #1? Do you know how close statistically #1 and #10 are, almost indiscernible. He was a top ballstriker, top 10 until 47 years old. I stand by the data.

Hogan said Snead was a better ball striker than him. Who are we to argue?

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @Forged4ever said:

> > > Wait a second....

> > >

> > > Did I see someone NOT include Sam in that list???????

> > >

> > > Seriously?????

> > >

> > > WTF??????

> > >

> > > Please bear in mind that he had the SAME SWING FOR OVER SIX DECADES and he won in FIVE OF THOSE DECADES!!!!

> > >

> > > In 1972, 1973 AND 1974, Sam went T4, T9 & T3 at the age of SIXTY, SIXTY-ONE & SIXTY-TWO YEARS OF AGE IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!

> > >

> > > A T3 two years prior to gettin his Medicare card in THE Deepest Major on Earth!!!

> > >

> > > What’d he do, strike it with his feet???

> > >

> > > At the age of SIXTY-FIVE, he took a T54 IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

> > >

> > > AT SIXTY-FRIGGIN-FIVE YEARS OF AGE!!!

> > >

> > > That’s HALF A CENTURY+ OF WORLD CLASS BALL STRIKIN!!!

> > >

> > > THREE CONSECUTIVE TOP-10’s IN HIS SIXTIES!!!

> > >

> > > I’m gonna stop there, lol???

> > >

> > > Oh yea, the other four....

> > >

> > > ~ Jack

> > > ~ Tiger

> > > ~ Tom

> > > ~ benny boy

> > >

> > > Lee Trevino???!

> > >

> > > Look at his Augusta track record!!

> > >

> > > He couldn’t have challenged there if he cheated!!

> > >

> > > He’s MAYBE Top-15, but Top-5??

> > >

> > > A Top-5 should be able to Play ANY Track on earth and at least challenge!!

> > >

> > > ANGC ate his pot moanin & groanin a** alive!!

> > >

> > > Augusta OWNED Buck!!

> > >

> > > I Looooove this place, lol??

> > >

> > > Stay well Gents?

> > > RP

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You make a great case for Sam, and I like your list. But I would remove Tom and add Byron.

> > When Tom was winning majors, he did it more with his wedge and putter than his driver and irons. His ball striking improved later in life when he toned down the reverse C and tried to come over the top a little - kind of like Sam did.

>

> Hey Bro, I hope all’s well?

>

> You’re absolutely right about Lord Byron over Tom, as from a “pure” swing however my choice of Tom is emotion based, as he has been a friend for almost 30 years and he called and got me through some very dark nights last year with my latest diagnosis. I just spoke with him a few weeks ago. Great Guy!!

>

> Plus, he could’ve easily won a Major at 59yo, and for me, Longevity means something.

>

> A lot of guys can do it for a year, two to five and if you do it for a 10-15 years and cap a Major or two, they call ya HoFer, lolol

>

> Tom’s has basically the same swing and struck the ball the same way for the better part of five decades.

>

> However, removing the emotions, Mr. Nelson struck a ball about as pure as a human male could.

>

> Stay well my Friend & have a great season

> Richard

Tom Watson was my favorite golfer for years. I watched just about every shot in 1981 at Augusta in the final round when he won his second Masters. His driver, driver off the fairway on 8 will remain one of the most amazing things I have seen in competition. I was standing about 10' away when he launched his 4-wood to the green on 15. To say that I am a huge Tom Watson fan would be an under statement.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > Wait a second....

> >

> > Did I see someone NOT include Sam in that list???????

> >

> > Seriously?????

> >

> > WTF??????

> >

> > Please bear in mind that he had the SAME SWING FOR OVER SIX DECADES and he won in FIVE OF THOSE DECADES!!!!

> >

> > In 1972, 1973 AND 1974, Sam went T4, T9 & T3 at the age of SIXTY, SIXTY-ONE & SIXTY-TWO YEARS OF AGE IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!

> >

> > A T3 two years prior to gettin his Medicare card in THE Deepest Major on Earth!!!

> >

> > What’d he do, strike it with his feet???

> >

> > At the age of SIXTY-FIVE, he took a T54 IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

> >

> > AT SIXTY-FRIGGIN-FIVE YEARS OF AGE!!!

> >

> > That’s HALF A CENTURY+ OF WORLD CLASS BALL STRIKIN!!!

> >

> > THREE CONSECUTIVE TOP-10’s IN HIS SIXTIES!!!

> >

> > I’m gonna stop there, lol???

> >

> > Oh yea, the other four....

> >

> > ~ Jack

> > ~ Tiger

> > ~ Tom

> > ~ benny boy

> >

> > Lee Trevino???!

> >

> > Look at his Augusta track record!!

> >

> > He couldn’t have challenged there if he cheated!!

> >

> > He’s MAYBE Top-15, but Top-5??

> >

> > A Top-5 should be able to Play ANY Track on earth and at least challenge!!

> >

> > ANGC ate his pot moanin & groanin a** alive!!

> >

> > Augusta OWNED Buck!!

> >

> > I Looooove this place, lol??

> >

> > Stay well Gents?

> > RP

> >

> >

>

> Just because I'm in an ornery mood tonight... I'll poke at Richard.

>

> How the **** can you include Sam? The most basic test of ballstring year in and year out is the US Open.

> Sam won how many??

>

> Yeah, I thought so. :)

>

> PS all lot of posts have mentioned greens in regulation as a great stat for ballstriking.

> BULL!! That is a great stat for timid "away from the pin" play. Not to play to win.

>

> Fun thread- I feel better already. ?

Hey Brother, how goes it??

All I’ll say is that you, of all peeps, due to you depth of knowledge of both the game and the Players, know that ball striking had absolutely nothing to do with the two Opens that he kicked away, lolol?

In ‘47, Sweet Lew gamed the gamer, lol

As is usually the case, it came down to mental mistakes, though in 1939, where ironically Sam had said repeatedly over the years that it was the best 71 holes of ball striking that he’d ever had, regardless of the Major, however, for those unaware, he needed a routine par 5 on the closing hole at Philadelphia CC for the Victory that he had birdied two of the first three times around the track and he was given the wrong information by someone in the gallery and thought he needed birdie to win and he chopped his way to an 8, missing the play-off by a single stroke.

So no, Sam’s inability to grab the fourth Title for a career grand slam had absolutely zero to do with his ball striking and physical game and everything to do with the fact that he reverted into a mental midget at inopportune times, lol?

Greens in reg as a barometer???

I agree with ya Bro, as did Sam!

Seriously, he laughed at that stat and if anyone ever tried to get into a discussion as to why he so quickly dismissed it, he would utter two simple words....

Paul Runyan

?????

Oh, and FWIW, so did Mr. Palmer?

Stay well Brother and have a great day?

All the Best?

RP

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Forged4ever said:

> > > Wait a second....

> > >

> > > Did I see someone NOT include Sam in that list???????

> > >

> > > Seriously?????

> > >

> > > WTF??????

> > >

> > > Please bear in mind that he had the SAME SWING FOR OVER SIX DECADES and he won in FIVE OF THOSE DECADES!!!!

> > >

> > > In 1972, 1973 AND 1974, Sam went T4, T9 & T3 at the age of SIXTY, SIXTY-ONE & SIXTY-TWO YEARS OF AGE IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!

> > >

> > > A T3 two years prior to gettin his Medicare card in THE Deepest Major on Earth!!!

> > >

> > > What’d he do, strike it with his feet???

> > >

> > > At the age of SIXTY-FIVE, he took a T54 IN THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

> > >

> > > AT SIXTY-FRIGGIN-FIVE YEARS OF AGE!!!

> > >

> > > That’s HALF A CENTURY+ OF WORLD CLASS BALL STRIKIN!!!

> > >

> > > THREE CONSECUTIVE TOP-10’s IN HIS SIXTIES!!!

> > >

> > > I’m gonna stop there, lol???

> > >

> > > Oh yea, the other four....

> > >

> > > ~ Jack

> > > ~ Tiger

> > > ~ Tom

> > > ~ benny boy

> > >

> > > Lee Trevino???!

> > >

> > > Look at his Augusta track record!!

> > >

> > > He couldn’t have challenged there if he cheated!!

> > >

> > > He’s MAYBE Top-15, but Top-5??

> > >

> > > A Top-5 should be able to Play ANY Track on earth and at least challenge!!

> > >

> > > ANGC ate his pot moanin & groanin a** alive!!

> > >

> > > Augusta OWNED Buck!!

> > >

> > > I Looooove this place, lol??

> > >

> > > Stay well Gents?

> > > RP

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Just because I'm in an ornery mood tonight... I'll poke at Richard.

> >

> > How the **** can you include Sam? The most basic test of ballstring year in and year out is the US Open.

> > Sam won how many??

> >

> > Yeah, I thought so. :)

> >

> > PS all lot of posts have mentioned greens in regulation as a great stat for ballstriking.

> > BULL!! That is a great stat for timid "away from the pin" play. Not to play to win.

> >

> > Fun thread- I feel better already. ?

>

> Hey Brother, how goes it??

>

> All I’ll say is that you, of all peeps, due to you depth of knowledge of both the game and the Players, know that ball striking had absolutely nothing to do with the two Opens that he kicked away, lolol?

>

> In ‘47, Sweet Lew gamed the gamer, lol

>

> As is usually the case, it came down to mental mistakes, though in 1939, where ironically Sam had said repeatedly over the years that it was the best 71 holes of ball striking that he’d ever had, regardless of the Major, however, for those unaware, he needed a routine par 5 on the closing hole at Philadelphia CC for the Victory that he had birdied two of the first three times around the track and he was given the wrong information by someone in the gallery and thought he needed birdie to win and he chopped his way to an 8, missing the play-off by a single stroke.

>

> So no, Sam’s inability to grab the fourth Title for a career grand slam had absolutely zero to do with his ball striking and physical game and everything to do with the fact that he reverted into a mental midget at inopportune times, lol?

>

> Greens in reg as a barometer???

>

> I agree with ya Bro, as did Sam!

>

> Seriously, he laughed at that stat and if anyone ever tried to get into a discussion as to why he so quickly dismissed it, he would utter two simple words....

>

> Paul Runyan

>

> ?????

>

> Stay well Brother and have a great day?

>

> All the Best?

> RP

Funny isn't it. We on WRX, and others in the media and such, get so caught up in pretty swings and great ballstrikers that we lose the greater picture. Which is simply "what did you score"? Great ballstriking has the aura of skill while to many the short game and mental side smacks of luck. Thye instructor I go to asks one simple question after a round of golf. "What did you shoot"? He wants to here no stories of bad breaks or near misses. Just what was the number.

Richard-glad to see you are feeling better of late and posting here. You were missed over much of the winter. :)

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> Steve Elkington was a heck of ball striker.

>

Steve actually put on an amazing “shot call” demonstration in 1997-98, after his Major Victory and Sam and Pete were present and after his last shot, Sam said to no one in particular “a lot of guys can do that on the line. Only a few of us could do it under the gun,” lolol

It was sort of awkward and Steve handled it well and laughed it off saying something to the effect that no one could hit the ball like Sam and his peers. Sam could be snarky and sort of a d!ck like that in his later years especially after his first stroke. Pete drew an assist cuz he said that in Sam’s mind, NO ONE could hit the ball like Sam and his peers, lol.

I know you were posting in a light hearted manner however it’s just incredible how someone like Steve Elkington, his major aside, and granted, from 1995-98, he spent 50+ weeks inside the World’s Top-10, though he’s not on anyone’s short list of greatest ball strikers however he was a magician with that ball and he was picking tree sections(mid tree, tree top) 225+ yards away and using his irons like a wand, and there are thousands of guys that could/can do the same thing with a ball/club, at least on the line, lolol

Another thing about Sam and I would say that I probably heard this phrase more than any other in the 25+ years that I knew him and that was “under the gun.” I believe that he said it in a a few of his interviews also, when speaking of Players, swings and also Teachers, cuz Sam’s big thing, and Pete’s to a lesser degree(He spent 5+ years on Tour), was that as a Player, if your score wasn’t “under the gun,” or that of a Teacher who hadn’t Played “under the gun,” or at the very least, taught a swing that had been successful “under the gun,” the scores, swings, Teachers, etc, were of no use to either of them. I know Sam mentioned this in interviews cuz it really bugged him, especially regarding all the swing “gurus” and swings that started popping up in the mid/late 90’s.

Have a great day Fergs?

My Best,

Richard

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Steve Elkington was a heck of ball striker.

> >

>

> Steve actually put on an amazing “shot call” demonstration in 1997-98, after his Major Victory and Sam and Pete were present and after his last shot, Sam said to no one in particular “a lot of guys can do that on the line. Only a few of us could do it under the gun,” lolol

>

> It was sort of awkward and Steve handled it well and laughed it off saying something to the effect that no one could hit the ball like Sam and his peers. Sam could be snarky and sort of a d!ck like that in his later years especially after his first stroke. Pete drew an assist cuz he said that in Sam’s mind, NO ONE could hit the ball like Sam and his peers, lol.

>

> I know you were posting in a light hearted manner however it’s just incredible how someone like Steve Ellington, his major aside, and granted, from 1995-98, he spent 50+ weeks inside the World’s Top-10, though he’s not on anyone’s short list of greatest ball strikers however he was a magician with that ball and he was picking tree sections(mid tree, tree top) 225+ yards away and using his irons like a wand, and there are thousands of guys that could/can do the same thing with a ball/club, at least on the line, lolol

>

> Have a great day Fergs?

>

> My Best,

> Richard

>

It just seems like every single one of these "top skill debate" threads ends up being a tug of war match about who should be included when we all know the top 5-8. We learn nothing except how to write eloquently about our favorite players and why they should be characterized as “the best."

The same 5-8 guys are always mentioned and once someone puts Ben Hogan or Bobby Jones in the wrong order we succumb to verbal blows. We fail to debate who (outside the typical 5-8 goats) was actually the best quantitatively. I would much rather corral those top 5-8 guys like Tiger, Hogan, Snead, Watson and Jack and focus on the grinders who pulled out a major (or a few majors) when they were hitting it right.

What about Billy Casper?

Fred Couples is an amazing ball striker.

Els and Vijay were pretty darn good too.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > Steve Elkington was a heck of ball striker.

> > >

> >

> > Steve actually put on an amazing “shot call” demonstration in 1997-98, after his Major Victory and Sam and Pete were present and after his last shot, Sam said to no one in particular “a lot of guys can do that on the line. Only a few of us could do it under the gun,” lolol

> >

> > It was sort of awkward and Steve handled it well and laughed it off saying something to the effect that no one could hit the ball like Sam and his peers. Sam could be snarky and sort of a d!ck like that in his later years especially after his first stroke. Pete drew an assist cuz he said that in Sam’s mind, NO ONE could hit the ball like Sam and his peers, lol.

> >

> > I know you were posting in a light hearted manner however it’s just incredible how someone like Steve Ellington, his major aside, and granted, from 1995-98, he spent 50+ weeks inside the World’s Top-10, though he’s not on anyone’s short list of greatest ball strikers however he was a magician with that ball and he was picking tree sections(mid tree, tree top) 225+ yards away and using his irons like a wand, and there are thousands of guys that could/can do the same thing with a ball/club, at least on the line, lolol

> >

> > Have a great day Fergs?

> >

> > My Best,

> > Richard

> >

>

> It just seems like every single one of these "top skill debate" threads ends up being a tug of war match about who should be included when we all know the top 5-8. We learn nothing except how to write eloquently about our favorite players and why they should be characterized as “the best."

>

> The same 5-8 guys are always mentioned and once someone puts Ben Hogan or Bobby Jones in the wrong order we succumb to verbal blows. We fail to debate who (outside the typical 5-8 goats) was actually the best quantitatively. I would much rather corral those top 5-8 guys like Tiger, Hogan, Snead, Watson and Jack and focus on the grinders who pulled out a major (or a few majors) when they were hitting it right.

>

>

> What about Billy Casper?

> Fred Couples is an amazing ball striker.

> Els and Vijay were pretty darn good too.

>

THIS is the best post in the whole damn thread!!

Very Nicely Played?

And it was “under the gun,” ??

Cheers?

RP

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @Forged4ever said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > Steve Elkington was a heck of ball striker.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Steve actually put on an amazing “shot call” demonstration in 1997-98, after his Major Victory and Sam and Pete were present and after his last shot, Sam said to no one in particular “a lot of guys can do that on the line. Only a few of us could do it under the gun,” lolol

> > >

> > > It was sort of awkward and Steve handled it well and laughed it off saying something to the effect that no one could hit the ball like Sam and his peers. Sam could be snarky and sort of a d!ck like that in his later years especially after his first stroke. Pete drew an assist cuz he said that in Sam’s mind, NO ONE could hit the ball like Sam and his peers, lol.

> > >

> > > I know you were posting in a light hearted manner however it’s just incredible how someone like Steve Ellington, his major aside, and granted, from 1995-98, he spent 50+ weeks inside the World’s Top-10, though he’s not on anyone’s short list of greatest ball strikers however he was a magician with that ball and he was picking tree sections(mid tree, tree top) 225+ yards away and using his irons like a wand, and there are thousands of guys that could/can do the same thing with a ball/club, at least on the line, lolol

> > >

> > > Have a great day Fergs?

> > >

> > > My Best,

> > > Richard

> > >

> >

> > It just seems like every single one of these "top skill debate" threads ends up being a tug of war match about who should be included when we all know the top 5-8. We learn nothing except how to write eloquently about our favorite players and why they should be characterized as “the best."

> >

> > The same 5-8 guys are always mentioned and once someone puts Ben Hogan or Bobby Jones in the wrong order we succumb to verbal blows. We fail to debate who (outside the typical 5-8 goats) was actually the best quantitatively. I would much rather corral those top 5-8 guys like Tiger, Hogan, Snead, Watson and Jack and focus on the grinders who pulled out a major (or a few majors) when they were hitting it right.

> >

> >

> > What about Billy Casper?

> > Fred Couples is an amazing ball striker.

> > Els and Vijay were pretty darn good too.

> >

>

> THIS is the best post in the whole **** thread!!

>

> Very Nicely Played?

>

> And it was “under the gun,” ??

>

> Cheers?

> RP

>

Thank you, kind sir.

You bring out the "clarity" in me!

hslri1085i11.gif

• Like 1

The single best ball striking display I have ever personally witnessed was by some random guy named Kevin Altonhof. I played with him a bunch on the mini tours in the 90s. He teed up 10 balls in a line. With full swings with driver, he hit every ball exactly between 1 foot and 2 feet. Swinging at 110 mph. Just barely nicking the top of the last dimple each time.

Earlier that day, he Shot 63 the final round of the North Dakota open to win. I was in his group. He quite literally never made one single putt outside of 3 feet.

18 greens, inside 3 feet for birdie 12 times and inside 15 feet 18 times.

DID he ever win a major? Well no, but he did qualify for the U.S. Open nine times ! Quite literally the worst putter I’ve ever met !

• Like 1