Using the line on the ball to line up your putt...

> @"North Butte" said:

> So the justification is, "If they think it helps them putt".

>

> What if a guy wanted to dance around the green like Ty Webb saying, "na na na na na na na" before every putt, because he thinks it helps. Am I supposed to just stand there and approve of that too?

>

> There's someone, somewhere who can convince them that any stupid thing they see on TV or in a YouTube video will help them play better golf. The test is not, "Do they think it helps?". The test is, "Is it reasonable to ask everyone else on the course to wait while they do it?".

Now we've got an anti-dancer to deal with?

You don't have to "approve" of anything. But being flexible enough to accept another player's preferences, as long as they are doing their part to keep pace, is a fine policy to adopt.

Maybe I don't like the fact that you "waste" time taking your glove off before you putt. Or scratch your ear before you take your stance. Or take a practice swing. Tough on me. We have enough rules already, perhaps more than enough. Let 'em play!

• Like 1

Thanks for the (mostly) civil discussion..I got to thinking that if the ruling bodies wanted to get rid of it based upon the idea of using an artificial means to help the line, they would be faced with the argument about the lines on the putter. I'm convinced. It really does come down to the overall pace of play issue, not the one specific (albeit supremely annoying) practice of the aforementioned "Furyk Maneuver"... Play on.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @"North Butte" said:

> How about belching loudly during someone's backswing. Is that just something we need to let go as long as they do it quickly?

Expanding the discussion from letting a player prepare for his stoke in his own way, to allowing a player to interfere with your stroke, does a disservice to the debate. Belch during your own swing and I'll be just fine (as long as I'm upwind).

• Like 1

> @Sawgrass said:

> Everyone's time-saving ideas only include eliminating things they don't wish to do anyway.

THIS...

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

>

> > How about belching loudly during someone's backswing. Is that just something we need to let go as long as they do it quickly?

>

> Expanding the discussion from letting a player prepare for his stoke in his own way, to allowing a player to interfere with your stroke, does a disservice to the debate. Belch during your own swing and I'll be just fine (as long as I'm upwind).

Seriously? I play with guys who in some cases have an affinity for off-color humor and various flavors of locker room talk. But if anyone took to frequently belching or passing gas (whether during their own or someone else's swing) eventually someone would tell him to knock it off.

Just like the couple of guys who have been asked to leave our group if they can't speed up their interminable alignment-line fiddling. Or the one guy who used to fiddle endlessly with an app on his phone before hitting his shots. Guess I must live in much more polite and considerate company than I realized...a regular bunch of Boy Scouts, we are.

I tried it for a long time and abandoned the practice as it didn't help. One guy in my regular group does it and I really don't notice it taking any additional time as he does it while others are lining their own putts etc. However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts. I mentioned in another thread that when he is away (usually is as he is the highest HC) and he starts into his putting ritual, the rest of us will putt out. It sounds a little rude but most of the time two or even three of us can putt out before he gets into the marking the ball phase. This has allowed us to keep pace though it is a drain mentally on the rest of us.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @RSinSG said:

> I tried it for a long time and abandoned the practice as it didn't help. One guy in my regular group does it and I really don't notice it taking any additional time as he does it while others are lining their own putts etc. However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts. I mentioned in another thread that when he is away (usually is as he is the highest HC) and he starts into his putting ritual, the rest of us will putt out. It sounds a little rude but most of the time two or even three of us can putt out before he gets into the marking the ball phase. This has allowed us to keep pace though it is a drain mentally on the rest of us.

Finally a comment dealing with PoP that doesn't include banning a player who doesn't comply with someone's arbitrary rules!

> @"P.E." said:

> > @RSinSG said:

> > I tried it for a long time and abandoned the practice as it didn't help. One guy in my regular group does it and I really don't notice it taking any additional time as he does it while others are lining their own putts etc. However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts. I mentioned in another thread that when he is away (usually is as he is the highest HC) and he starts into his putting ritual, the rest of us will putt out. It sounds a little rude but most of the time two or even three of us can putt out before he gets into the marking the ball phase. This has allowed us to keep pace though it is a drain mentally on the rest of us.

>

> Finally a comment dealing with PoP that doesn't include banning a player who doesn't comply with someone's arbitrary rules!

>

>

Again, I ask what's your limit. If the guy took 10 minutes to 3-putt and repeated that several times a round you'd just keep inviting him back to play with you for one 5-hour round after another?

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @"P.E." said:

> > > @RSinSG said:

> > > I tried it for a long time and abandoned the practice as it didn't help. One guy in my regular group does it and I really don't notice it taking any additional time as he does it while others are lining their own putts etc. However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts. I mentioned in another thread that when he is away (usually is as he is the highest HC) and he starts into his putting ritual, the rest of us will putt out. It sounds a little rude but most of the time two or even three of us can putt out before he gets into the marking the ball phase. This has allowed us to keep pace though it is a drain mentally on the rest of us.

> >

> > Finally a comment dealing with PoP that doesn't include banning a player who doesn't comply with someone's arbitrary rules!

> >

> >

>

> Again, I ask what's your limit. If the guy took 10 minutes to 3-putt and repeated that several times a round you'd just keep inviting him back to play with you for one 5-hour round after another?

You seem to have confused PoP with off-color humor, various flavors of locker room talk, frequently belching and/or passing gas.

I don't enjoy playing 5 hour rounds but will golf with a complete jerk if he plays quickly and doesn't physically interfere with my game.

> @RSinSG said:

>However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts.

Have you ever played with a good putter that plum bobs? I don't think I have.

Plum bobbing is a very inaccurate method of determining break. It totally ignores grain, green speed and the pace you hit your putt.

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> Bottom line is if done properly you can use the alignment line when others are putting as to not add time.

>

Well, personally I hate people moving within my vision when I am starting to putt. Having said that I wonder if there are many spots closer to hole where people can align their balls where they are not seen by me.

My personal experience is that those who use the line on their ball are on the average slower than those who do not. Nor do they sink their putts more often...

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @RSinSG said:

> >However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts.

>

> Have you ever played with a good putter that plum bobs? I don't think I have.

>

> Plum bobbing is a very inaccurate method of determining break. It totally ignores grain, green speed and the pace you hit your putt.

>

I have played with several excellent putters who plumb bob...unfortunately, I never got much out of it. Sometimes I do something that looks like I'm plumb bobbing, but what I'm really doing is trying to find that speck on my line to use.

Now that I think of it, I have used the line on the ball to some degree of help. When I'm playing on recently aerified greens and I'm getting vertigo looking at all of those little holes dancing around and trying to remember which little hole was my aiming point, I have used the line, and it helps. But I wouldn't back off and adjust it.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @RSinSG said:

> >However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts.

>

>

> Plum bobbing is a very inaccurate method of determining break. It totally ignores grain, green speed and the pace you hit your putt.

>

Aimpoint express is the modern version of plum bobbing.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @RSinSG said:

>

>

>

Although I do agree with your overall statement about usefulness of plum bobbing I disagree with the second part of it. Determining break is just what it is, i.e. determining break. Apart from that and on top of that comes grain, green speed and the pace. Those things you just have to take from your spine, not from plum bobbing or from any other way of determining the break.

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @RSinSG said:

> > >However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts.

> >

> > Have you ever played with a good putter that plum bobs? I don't think I have.

> >

> > Plum bobbing is a very inaccurate method of determining break. It totally ignores grain, green speed and the pace you hit your putt.

> >

>

> Aimpoint express is the modern version of plum bobbing.

Yup. Major business over nothing. Just my opinion. Not to mention it looks silly... not as silly as this, but almost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrQu0VTUBs

> I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

>

Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> > I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> >

>

> Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

There's a guy in my club that lately people are starting to dread playing with. He's always been a little picky about people making noise or moving when he's getting ready to swing. But the last few years, he literally insists on not being able to see anyone when he's addressing a putt. I mean, not even someone standing perfectly still 40 feet from him and several paces off the green. He waits for everyone to shift around behind him before he will hit the darned thing.

I think there's a tendency, if you start getting caught up in these "obsessive compulsive things" the list just grows and grows. Especially as we get older we become exaggerations or even caricatures or ourselves. And it's hard to self-observe and notice that our "little bit picky" has edged over into "people are saying no when we ask if they want to play with us".

That said, within reason I think it is still good old-fashioned golf manners to not do things that you know are causing a distraction or annoyance to the guys you are playing with. If someone wants all the other balls marked while he putts, it's simple courtesy to mark. Or if he wants to look at his putting line without seeing a manhole cover six inches to one side, why not just use a "coin or other small object" as the Rules suggest.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> > > I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> > >

> >

> > Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

>

> There's a guy in my club that lately people are starting to dread playing with. He's always been a little picky about people making noise or moving when he's getting ready to swing. But the last few years, he literally insists on not being able to see anyone when he's addressing a putt. I mean, not even someone standing perfectly still 40 feet from him and several paces off the green. He waits for everyone to shift around behind him before he will hit the darned thing.

>

> I think there's a tendency, if you start getting caught up in these "obsessive compulsive things" the list just grows and grows. Especially as we get older we become exaggerations or even caricatures or ourselves. And it's hard to self-observe and notice that our "little bit picky" has edged over into "people are saying no when we ask if they want to play with us".

>

> That said, within reason I think it is still good old-fashioned golf manners to not do things that you know are causing a distraction or annoyance to the guys you are playing with. If someone wants all the other balls marked while he putts, it's simple courtesy to mark. Or if he wants to look at his putting line without seeing a manhole cover six inches to one side, why not just use a "coin or other small object" as the Rules suggest.

>

LOL

Reminds me of a guy in my club years ago. Not only did he (seemingly) have a 360* field of vision but he also had "rabbitt ears". LOL

And of course these guys are harder on less skilled players (because they CAN LOL). When I was the weakest player in the group, even while standing as still as I possibly could, I'd stand directly behind his back so he couldn't possibly see me, but I would still literally hold my breath once he eased into his stance.

Fortunately he was a pretty fast player. LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> > I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> >

>

> Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

You leave your ball 2 feet from the hole. I have a downhill 8 footer. It gathers speed, rims the edge and comes out and hits your ball. Maybe you don't play by the rules, but I don't see anything that says the 2 stroke penalty is waived for me in that scenario. And thank you Dr Rotella for the OCD analysis.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> > > > I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

> >

> > There's a guy in my club that lately people are starting to dread playing with. He's always been a little picky about people making noise or moving when he's getting ready to swing. But the last few years, he literally insists on not being able to see anyone when he's addressing a putt. I mean, not even someone standing perfectly still 40 feet from him and several paces off the green. He waits for everyone to shift around behind him before he will hit the darned thing.

> >

> > I think there's a tendency, if you start getting caught up in these "obsessive compulsive things" the list just grows and grows. Especially as we get older we become exaggerations or even caricatures or ourselves. And it's hard to self-observe and notice that our "little bit picky" has edged over into "people are saying no when we ask if they want to play with us".

> >

> > That said, within reason I think it is still good old-fashioned golf manners to not do things that you know are causing a distraction or annoyance to the guys you are playing with. If someone wants all the other balls marked while he putts, it's simple courtesy to mark. Or if he wants to look at his putting line without seeing a manhole cover six inches to one side, why not just use a "coin or other small object" as the Rules suggest.

> >

>

> LOL

>

> Reminds me of a guy in my club years ago. Not only did he (seemingly) have a 360* field of vision but he also had "rabbitt ears". LOL

>

> And of course these guys are harder on less skilled players (because they CAN LOL). When I was the weakest player in the group, even while standing as still as I possibly could, I'd stand directly behind his back so he couldn't possibly see me, but I would still literally hold my breath once he eased into his stance.

>

> Fortunately he was a pretty fast player. LOL

>

There are people who might call me that guy(but I don't hear breathing...) But seriously, how hard is it to not talk when a guy is about to swing? If the guys back is to you walk wherever you want. But if you're directly down his line or near him, stand still for 10 seconds. Sometimes I wonder if "play faster" is just cover for people's d-baggery. Golf etiquette is not hard, and does not add time to a round.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> > > > > I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

> > >

> > > There's a guy in my club that lately people are starting to dread playing with. He's always been a little picky about people making noise or moving when he's getting ready to swing. But the last few years, he literally insists on not being able to see anyone when he's addressing a putt. I mean, not even someone standing perfectly still 40 feet from him and several paces off the green. He waits for everyone to shift around behind him before he will hit the darned thing.

> > >

> > > I think there's a tendency, if you start getting caught up in these "obsessive compulsive things" the list just grows and grows. Especially as we get older we become exaggerations or even caricatures or ourselves. And it's hard to self-observe and notice that our "little bit picky" has edged over into "people are saying no when we ask if they want to play with us".

> > >

> > > That said, within reason I think it is still good old-fashioned golf manners to not do things that you know are causing a distraction or annoyance to the guys you are playing with. If someone wants all the other balls marked while he putts, it's simple courtesy to mark. Or if he wants to look at his putting line without seeing a manhole cover six inches to one side, why not just use a "coin or other small object" as the Rules suggest.

> > >

> >

> > LOL

> >

> > Reminds me of a guy in my club years ago. Not only did he (seemingly) have a 360* field of vision but he also had "rabbitt ears". LOL

> >

> > And of course these guys are harder on less skilled players (because they CAN LOL). When I was the weakest player in the group, even while standing as still as I possibly could, I'd stand directly behind his back so he couldn't possibly see me, but I would still literally hold my breath once he eased into his stance.

> >

> > Fortunately he was a pretty fast player. LOL

> >

>

> There are people who might call me that guy(but I don't hear breathing...) But seriously, how hard is it to not talk when a guy is about to swing? If the guys back is to you walk wherever you want. But if you're directly down his line or near him, stand still for 10 seconds. Sometimes I wonder if "play faster" is just cover for people's d-baggery. Golf etiquette is not hard, and does not add time to a round.

It's not hard at all but some guys (like the one I described) are "hearing" things all over the course, not necessarily the guys in his group. Same thing with what they see. The least little thing upsets some people. And i realize that sometimes little things bother someone and other times they don't. Hard to say.

Kind of like the unmarked golf ball on the green while putting. Personally I always mark my ball; others don't always. Sometimes I'll putt with a ball still within my field of vision, other times I'll asked that it be marked. Where's the dividing line ? Couldn't tell you.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As far as the "hearing breathing" thing goes, there used to be That Guy who was in the group I've now been playing with for years. Someone warned me not to ever, ever make a noise once he was over the ball. I thought they were pulling my leg. This guy was the most laid-back, upbeat, happy golfer you'd ever want to meet. Why on earth should I worry about rattling a club in my bag or something while he was about to hit.

Then one day someone like spilled some tees out of their pocket or some other really quiet little "noise". You'd have to be listening really hard to hear it. He got about as angry as I've ever seen anyone get on a golf course. He got over the by the end of the round and was back to his usual self settling up bets and eating lunch after. But wow, he just went ballistic at that little noise during his swing.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > > I'd rather that people not mark unless in someone's way and just putt.

> > > I guess since you can tap your line now, but I'm guessing you still don't want me stepping on your line to putt out. Congratulations if a ball in your field of vision doesn't bother you, but I prefer not to have to look at it.

> > >

> >

> > Like most reasonable people I don't really care if you step on my line incidentally on occasion. Don't tap the line either. As for a ball in your field of vision, perhaps you can practice that and get used to it like every other stationary object that is out there. Bottom line is there is no need for these obsessive compulsive things that ultimately don't make a difference but can add too much time to a round.

>

> You leave your ball 2 feet from the hole. I have a downhill 8 footer. It gathers speed, rims the edge and comes out and hits your ball. Maybe you don't play by the rules, but I don't see anything that says the 2 stroke penalty is waived for me in that scenario. And thank you Dr Rotella for the OCD analysis.

Don't exaggerate. I never said don't mark. Just no reason to mark if a ball isn't at risk of being hit.

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @RSinSG said:

> > >However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts.

> >

> > Have you ever played with a good putter that plum bobs? I don't think I have.

> >

> > Plum bobbing is a very inaccurate method of determining break. It totally ignores grain, green speed and the pace you hit your putt.

> >

>

> Although I do agree with your overall statement about usefulness of plum bobbing I disagree with the second part of it. Determining break is just what it is, i.e. determining break. Apart from that and on top of that comes grain, green speed and the pace. Those things you just have to take from your spine, not from plum bobbing or from any other way of determining the break.

Plumb bobbing just gives you an approximation of how much tilt their is to the green where you are standing. Has nothing to do with the roll of the ball or the break off the putt.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @RSinSG said:

> > > >However, another fellow (who I really like and enjoy his company) is a poster child for what annoys the OP and others. He reads his putts from 360* - he plumb bobs them from DTL and the side, and then he fiddles with the line on the ball to get it "perfect." Then he yips the putt and repeats most of the above. He is the worlds worst putter from all lengths regularly missing 18" putts.

> > >

> > > Have you ever played with a good putter that plum bobs? I don't think I have.

> > >

> > > Plum bobbing is a very inaccurate method of determining break. It totally ignores grain, green speed and the pace you hit your putt.

> > >

> >

> > Although I do agree with your overall statement about usefulness of plum bobbing I disagree with the second part of it. Determining break is just what it is, i.e. determining break. Apart from that and on top of that comes grain, green speed and the pace. Those things you just have to take from your spine, not from plum bobbing or from any other way of determining the break.

>

> Plumb bobbing just gives you an approximation of how much tilt their is to the green where you are standing. Has nothing to do with the roll of the ball or the break off the putt.

I believe that is what I said. Or at least tried to.

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @RSinSG said:

> >

> >

> >

>

> Aimpoint express is the modern version of plum bobbing.

And appears to be just as ineffective as plum bobbing. Do any of the best putters on tour use it? Adam Scott uses it.......