What would you pay to play?

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Pebble Beach is over $400pp even staying at the Lodge. Not worth it. Two hundred and fifty pp is my green fee limit because my wife plays too.

>

> My nostalgic #1 course is St. Andrews, and tournament event is The British Open, so I'd cough it up there. As for the suggested list shared above, not happening if over $250pp. I can find better things to do with that much money. $500 buys a mighty fine bottle of vintage Single Malt that lasts a long time for this sipper. :smiley:

So if someone invites you out to Cypress or Pine Valley you do a reciprocal and call it even?

But out of pocket or if you host were to want some kind of quid pro quo you cap at $250?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @ceejay81 said:

> > @trilerian said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > PV

> > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > >

> > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > >

> > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> >

> > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

>

> I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

>

> These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

>

> These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

>

>

This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > Pebble Beach is over $400pp even staying at the Lodge. Not worth it. Two hundred and fifty pp is my green fee limit because my wife plays too.

> >

> > My nostalgic #1 course is St. Andrews, and tournament event is The British Open, so I'd cough it up there. As for the suggested list shared above, not happening if over $250pp. I can find better things to do with that much money. $500 buys a mighty fine bottle of vintage Single Malt that lasts a long time for this sipper. :smiley:

>

> So if someone invites you out to Cypress or Pine Valley you do a reciprocal and call it even?

> But out of pocket or if you host were to want some kind of quid pro quo you cap at $250?

You draw a scenario that isn't realistic. I've been invited to play many high-end tracks and paid the going member/guest rate. The difference is the going member/guest rate isn't what's bantered about on this board. Private invite or public, "yes", my cap is $250 pp and never had to pay that much.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > Pebble Beach is over $400pp even staying at the Lodge. Not worth it. Two hundred and fifty pp is my green fee limit because my wife plays too.

> > >

> > > My nostalgic #1 course is St. Andrews, and tournament event is The British Open, so I'd cough it up there. As for the suggested list shared above, not happening if over $250pp. I can find better things to do with that much money. $500 buys a mighty fine bottle of vintage Single Malt that lasts a long time for this sipper. :smiley:

> >

> > So if someone invites you out to Cypress or Pine Valley you do a reciprocal and call it even?

> > But out of pocket or if you host were to want some kind of quid pro quo you cap at $250?

>

> You draw a scenario that isn't realistic. I've been invited to play many high-end tracks and paid the going member/guest rate. The difference is the going member/guest rate isn't what's bantered about on this board. Private invite or public, "yes", my cap is $250 pp and never had to pay that much.

Oh sure, I know this thread isn't "What's a realistic guest fee". I guess I'm just surprised that Cypress or Pine Valley would have a guest fee under $250 and if there is a caddie on top of that as well.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @trilerian said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > > @trilerian said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > > PV

> > > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > > >

> > > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > > >

> > > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> > >

> > > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

> >

> > I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

> >

> > These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

> >

> > These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

> >

> >

>

> This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

I did come off as harsh, so I apologize. But how does this come off as elitist? Nothing that I said could even remotely be considered elitist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a cheap golf course like you enjoy. I do the same thing at home frequently. There's just no comparing your home course to a special place like Oakmont or Shinnecock. They aren't even in the same ballpark. Score is soooooo irrelevant when you play these nice courses. Of course we all want to play well, but you're there for the experience, history, and a chance to play a tough, famous golf course. If those mean absolutely nothing to you, then yeah, I can see how spending a lot of money on these courses wouldn't be "worth it" to you. But I think you're in the minority on this golf message board. And I still don't see how your score matters when getting a chance to play a top tier course.

I work for a living, too. If I was able to play any of the higher end courses like ANGC or PV for a grand, I'd have to save my money up just to be able to do so. I am not rich by any means.

> @trilerian said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > > @trilerian said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > > PV

> > > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > > >

> > > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > > >

> > > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> > >

> > > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

> >

> > I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

> >

> > These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

> >

> > These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

> >

> >

>

> This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

Saying a certain course is special for "x" reason is subjective, NOT elitist. Yes, your friends agree with you. His friends agree with him, my friends mostly agree with me, and we no longer have to work for a living. My point is we don't value golf courses the same, choice in cars, golf equipment, where we chose to live or how much we spend on "X".

Good or not so good scoring, I don't see playing any of those courses as life-changing, so wouldn't pay excessively to play them. Even though my best rounds come when playing high-end, good conditions courses, most of my golf enjoyment comes from WHO I play, more than where I play.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > Pebble Beach is over $400pp even staying at the Lodge. Not worth it. Two hundred and fifty pp is my green fee limit because my wife plays too.

> > > >

> > > > My nostalgic #1 course is St. Andrews, and tournament event is The British Open, so I'd cough it up there. As for the suggested list shared above, not happening if over $250pp. I can find better things to do with that much money. $500 buys a mighty fine bottle of vintage Single Malt that lasts a long time for this sipper. :smiley:

> > >

> > > So if someone invites you out to Cypress or Pine Valley you do a reciprocal and call it even?

> > > But out of pocket or if you host were to want some kind of quid pro quo you cap at $250?

> >

> > You draw a scenario that isn't realistic. I've been invited to play many high-end tracks and paid the going member/guest rate. The difference is the going member/guest rate isn't what's bantered about on this board. Private invite or public, "yes", my cap is $250 pp and never had to pay that much.

>

> Oh sure, I know this thread isn't "What's a realistic guest fee". I guess I'm just surprised that Cypress or Pine Valley would have a guest fee under $250 and if there is a caddie on top of that as well.

Having been on the BOD of a high-end club I've visited many private clubs. Initiation fee's and member monthly fee's vary but have no bearing on a member's invite. Reciprocal play is quite common as opposed to charging a guest to play with a member. But if there's a charge it's often not nearly as much as most people think. Unless it's written in the clubs charter, high-end clubs don't allow outsiders to charge and those type clubs are not managed as most public golfers perceive. Every time I invited guests or employees to my club, I covered costs, golf and/or dinner, as has been the case with members that invited us. PS - real high-end clubs don't advertise and many won't allow outside tournaments, period. They want to remain anonymous to protect member privacy.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

> @ceejay81 said:

> > @trilerian said:

> > > @ceejay81 said:

> > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > > > PV

> > > > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > > > >

> > > > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> > > >

> > > > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > > > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > > > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

> > >

> > > I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

> > >

> > > These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

> > >

> > > These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

>

>

> I did come off as harsh, so I apologize. But how does this come off as elitist? Nothing that I said could even remotely be considered elitist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a cheap golf course like you enjoy. I do the same thing at home frequently. There's just no comparing your home course to a special place like Oakmont or Shinnecock. They aren't even in the same ballpark. Score is soooooo irrelevant when you play these nice courses. Of course we all want to play well, but you're there for the experience, history, and a chance to play a tough, famous golf course. If those mean absolutely nothing to you, then yeah, I can see how spending a lot of money on these courses wouldn't be "worth it" to you. But I think you're in the minority on this golf message board. And I still don't see how your score matters when getting a chance to play a top tier course.

>

> I work for a living, too. If I was able to play any of the higher end courses like ANGC or PV for a grand, I'd have to save my money up just to be able to do so. I am not rich by any means.

The elitist remark comes from your very first sentence; "I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf."

If playing my normal run of the mill courses and enjoying myself while doing it, and having no desire to spend absurd amounts of money to play courses that look to accommodate only the wealthy, means I am missing the boat... Then maybe I should quit playing golf, I mean I missing everything about it anyway...

However, I do understand the desire to play the courses, but I don't understand how someone can justify the cost.

But, I would happily play any of the courses on the list for reasonable rates, or even trade my time (sys admin) to play.

In the bag

> @trilerian said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > > @trilerian said:

> > > > @ceejay81 said:

> > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > > > > PV

> > > > > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> > > > >

> > > > > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > > > > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > > > > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

> > > >

> > > > I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

> > > >

> > > > These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

> > > >

> > > > These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

> >

> >

> > I did come off as harsh, so I apologize. But how does this come off as elitist? Nothing that I said could even remotely be considered elitist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a cheap golf course like you enjoy. I do the same thing at home frequently. There's just no comparing your home course to a special place like Oakmont or Shinnecock. They aren't even in the same ballpark. Score is soooooo irrelevant when you play these nice courses. Of course we all want to play well, but you're there for the experience, history, and a chance to play a tough, famous golf course. If those mean absolutely nothing to you, then yeah, I can see how spending a lot of money on these courses wouldn't be "worth it" to you. But I think you're in the minority on this golf message board. And I still don't see how your score matters when getting a chance to play a top tier course.

> >

> > I work for a living, too. If I was able to play any of the higher end courses like ANGC or PV for a grand, I'd have to save my money up just to be able to do so. I am not rich by any means.

>

> The elitist remark comes from your very first sentence; "I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf."

>

You had said your game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I just think it's silly that score was a part of your argument. So yes, it sounds like you are missing the boat about the game of golf because golf is about wayyyy more than whether you score well or not. If it's just strictly about the money, that's a totally different argument.

> @trilerian said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > > @trilerian said:

> > > > @ceejay81 said:

> > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > > > > PV

> > > > > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> > > > >

> > > > > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > > > > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > > > > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

> > > >

> > > > I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

> > > >

> > > > These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

> > > >

> > > > These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

> >

> >

> > I did come off as harsh, so I apologize. But how does this come off as elitist? Nothing that I said could even remotely be considered elitist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a cheap golf course like you enjoy. I do the same thing at home frequently. There's just no comparing your home course to a special place like Oakmont or Shinnecock. They aren't even in the same ballpark. Score is soooooo irrelevant when you play these nice courses. Of course we all want to play well, but you're there for the experience, history, and a chance to play a tough, famous golf course. If those mean absolutely nothing to you, then yeah, I can see how spending a lot of money on these courses wouldn't be "worth it" to you. But I think you're in the minority on this golf message board. And I still don't see how your score matters when getting a chance to play a top tier course.

> >

> > I work for a living, too. If I was able to play any of the higher end courses like ANGC or PV for a grand, I'd have to save my money up just to be able to do so. I am not rich by any means.

>

> The elitist remark comes from your very first sentence; "I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf."

>

> If playing my normal run of the mill courses and enjoying myself while doing it, and having no desire to spend absurd amounts of money to play courses that look to accommodate only the wealthy, means I am missing the boat... Then maybe I should quit playing golf, I mean I missing everything about it anyway...

> However, I do understand the desire to play the courses, but I don't understand how someone can justify the cost.

> But, I would happily play any of the courses on the list for reasonable rates, or even trade my time (sys admin) to play.

>

I missed the boat, too. That's ok because I get seasick.

> @trilerian said:> However, I do understand the desire to play the courses, but I don't understand how someone can justify the cost.

> But, I would happily play any of the courses on the list for reasonable rates, or even trade my time (sys admin) to play.

We don't "justify the cost". Just like dozens of other purchases (sports cars, country clubs, expensive wine, art, furniture, etc), people decide where to spend their discretionary money based on what they like. Personally, I wouldn't pay $50 for the Mona Lisa or $25 for a broadway show, but I will gladly pay $300 - 500 to play some of the top courses. There are no right or wrong choices for spending your discretionary money.

• Like 1

> @ceejay81 said:

> > @trilerian said:

> > > @ceejay81 said:

> > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > @ceejay81 said:

> > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > > > @trilerian said:

> > > > > > > > > > @monty09 said:

> > > > > > > > > > ANGC

> > > > > > > > > > PV

> > > > > > > > > > Cypress Point

> > > > > > > > > > Oakmont

> > > > > > > > > > Merion

> > > > > > > > > > Shinnecock

> > > > > > > > > > Pebble Beach

> > > > > > > > > > National Golf Links

> > > > > > > > > > Sand Hills

> > > > > > > > > > Fishers Island

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > As regular places to play, or for vacation rounds? I ask because I can swing a bit extra for a vacation round, but for normal rounds, I cap it at $50.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > at $50 you not playing any on this list.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And very few of any top 200 courses

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Did everyone miss where I said on vacation I am more willing to spend to play?

> > > > > > As to a normal round, I don't want to spend that much... I can go to Warren at Notre Dame and walk 18 for $31. It may not be a top 200, but it is definitely up there. Twilight at Harbor Shore is $100, I do try to make it there once a season.

> > > > > > **But for the most part, my game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I can hack together a mid 80s round at my home course just fine. Why do I need to got an expensive course to shoot bad?**

> > > > >

> > > > > I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > These are NOT "normal" rounds, so you trying to say your vacation rounds are different from normal rounds has nothing to do with anything.

> > > > >

> > > > > These are all special places. Nobody cares what you or anybody shoots at any point during your golf career, whether it be a super nice course or if it's a dog track. If someone goes out there and shoots a 115 at Pine Valley or ANGC, that person can and probably will have had the best golf day of their entire lives just by getting to play that course. It's the experience of being able to play at an exclusive course. If your score dictates whether or not you have an enjoyable day on the course, well then please stick to your $31 "normal" rounds.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > This is a very elitist attitude you have there... All the guys I golf with would tend to agree with me. No point paying that much money to golf, unless you are pretty sure you can score well. But then again, we all work for a living...

> > >

> > >

> > > I did come off as harsh, so I apologize. But how does this come off as elitist? Nothing that I said could even remotely be considered elitist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a cheap golf course like you enjoy. I do the same thing at home frequently. There's just no comparing your home course to a special place like Oakmont or Shinnecock. They aren't even in the same ballpark. Score is soooooo irrelevant when you play these nice courses. Of course we all want to play well, but you're there for the experience, history, and a chance to play a tough, famous golf course. If those mean absolutely nothing to you, then yeah, I can see how spending a lot of money on these courses wouldn't be "worth it" to you. But I think you're in the minority on this golf message board. And I still don't see how your score matters when getting a chance to play a top tier course.

> > >

> > > I work for a living, too. If I was able to play any of the higher end courses like ANGC or PV for a grand, I'd have to save my money up just to be able to do so. I am not rich by any means.

> >

> > The elitist remark comes from your very first sentence; "I think you're completely missing the boat on...well everything about golf."

> >

>

> You had said your game isn't good enough to enjoy these courses. I just think it's silly that score was a part of your argument. So yes, it sounds like you are missing the boat about the game of golf because golf is about wayyyy more than whether you score well or not. If it's just strictly about the money, that's a totally different argument.

>

>

It's about both my game and the money, in regards to a normal round of golf. But as I was saying in my first post, on vacation, where I am doing everything for the experience, then I am more open to spend more money to play. For example, if I went to Scotland on vacation, I would play the Old Course, and my score wouldn't matter. And that would probably be my cap on the price too, $250 to play the most famous golf course in the world, why should any course cost more?

In the bag

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > > Pebble Beach is over $400pp even staying at the Lodge. Not worth it. Two hundred and fifty pp is my green fee limit because my wife plays too.

> > > > >

> > > > > My nostalgic #1 course is St. Andrews, and tournament event is The British Open, so I'd cough it up there. As for the suggested list shared above, not happening if over $250pp. I can find better things to do with that much money. $500 buys a mighty fine bottle of vintage Single Malt that lasts a long time for this sipper. :smiley:

> > > >

> > > > So if someone invites you out to Cypress or Pine Valley you do a reciprocal and call it even?

> > > > But out of pocket or if you host were to want some kind of quid pro quo you cap at $250?

> > >

> > > You draw a scenario that isn't realistic. I've been invited to play many high-end tracks and paid the going member/guest rate. The difference is the going member/guest rate isn't what's bantered about on this board. Private invite or public, "yes", my cap is $250 pp and never had to pay that much.

> >

> > Oh sure, I know this thread isn't "What's a realistic guest fee". I guess I'm just surprised that Cypress or Pine Valley would have a guest fee under $250 and if there is a caddie on top of that as well.

>

> Having been on the BOD of a high-end club I've visited many private clubs. Initiation fee's and member monthly fee's vary but have no bearing on a member's invite. Reciprocal play is quite common as opposed to charging a guest to play with a member. But if there's a charge it's often not nearly as much as most people think. Unless it's written in the clubs charter, high-end clubs don't allow outsiders to charge and those type clubs are not managed as most public golfers perceive. Every time I invited guests or employees to my club, I covered costs, golf and/or dinner, as has been the case with members that invited us. PS - real high-end clubs don't advertise and many won't allow outside tournaments, period. They want to remain anonymous to protect member privacy.

Sure that all makes sense and that's how it's been when I've done so, I did take the OP more as a charity auction price scenario, than an actual invite.

And obviously Cypress and PV don't need to charge anything to their guests, but knowing what some Bay Area private guest rates go for, pedant me will continue to be surprised Cypress is <$250.

F.T.

I know there are lots of golfers whom will not even blink paying to play these great golf courses.

I was one of them when I would eat sandwiches for a week to pay the green fees, but, kind of difficult to imagine a pound of Prime rib is below $10 to the green fees these places charge.

I know, it's kind of weird to compare green fees to cost for grocery. But ..... I always compare the cost of other things in life to the cost of golfing.

I do envy a few couples I know, whom will save up everything to travel for golf. I will take that over cruise any time.

ANGC about $1k

PV about $2k

Cypress Point about $2k

Oakmont $200 (already played it)

Merion $300

Shinnecock $300

Pebble Beach $500

National Golf Links $300

Sand Hills $700

Fishers Island $250

Add to these Laurel Valley $300, Saucon Valley $300, Field Club of Pittsburgh $300, Riviera $500, LACC $500, Seminole $2,000, Winged Foot $2,000.

We as humans value exclusiveness for some odd reason. I'm willing to bet that if Pebble Beach was as exclusive as Augusta people would pay 2k to play it and we would all be clamoring to find a way to get on Pebble. It's odd how we place value on exclusivity but it's a very real thing. Honestly I think the two reasons Augusta is ranked so high is because it's on TV every year for a major and because it is ultra exclusive. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course, but I doubt people would be willing to sell a kidney to play it if it weren't ultra exclusive. And while I would love to play Augusta I think the main reason I want to play it is because no one gets to play it and not because I think it's the best layout golf has ever seen.

I’ve played 3 courses on this list and it’s about the full experience, more than just the golf itself. That’s what makes the money worth it. Years after playing these when I think back to playing them money never crosses my mind. I’m not one to tell others how to spend their money, but for me there’s no better way for me to spend my disposable income.

• Like 1

> @MaxBuck said:

> ANGC about $1k

> PV about $2k

> Cypress Point about $2k

> Oakmont $200 (already played it)

> Merion $300

> Shinnecock $300

> Pebble Beach $500

> National Golf Links $300

> Sand Hills $700

> Fishers Island $250

>

> Add to these Laurel Valley $300, Saucon Valley $300, Field Club of Pittsburgh $300, Riviera $500, LACC $500, Seminole $2,000, Winged Foot $2,000.

>

>

>

this price points.. i agree 100%.... played Oakmont and PV so for me i would pay for more CP and ANGC... good price on sand hills... i want to play that one soon...

> @MaxBuck said:

> ANGC about $1k

> PV about $2k

> Cypress Point about $2k

> Oakmont $200 (already played it)

> Merion $300

> Shinnecock $300

> Pebble Beach $500

> National Golf Links $300

> Sand Hills $700

> Fishers Island $250

>

> Add to these Laurel Valley $300, Saucon Valley $300, Field Club of Pittsburgh $300, Riviera $500, LACC $500, Seminole $2,000, Winged Foot $2,000.

>

>

>

> @tgard227 said:

> We as humans value exclusiveness for some odd reason. I'm willing to bet that if Pebble Beach was as exclusive as Augusta people would pay 2k to play it and we would all be clamoring to find a way to get on Pebble. It's odd how we place value on exclusivity but it's a very real thing. Honestly I think the two reasons Augusta is ranked so high is because it's on TV every year for a major and because it is ultra exclusive. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course, but I doubt people would be willing to** sell a kidney** to play it if it weren't ultra exclusive. And while I would love to play Augusta I think the main reason I want to play it is because no one gets to play it and not because I think it's the best layout golf has ever seen.

Just to be clear I was just kidding about the kidney thing, I don't plan on selling my kidney anytime soon lol

> @jwellefson1 said:

> > @tgard227 said:

> > We as humans value exclusiveness for some odd reason. I'm willing to bet that if Pebble Beach was as exclusive as Augusta people would pay 2k to play it and we would all be clamoring to find a way to get on Pebble. It's odd how we place value on exclusivity but it's a very real thing. Honestly I think the two reasons Augusta is ranked so high is because it's on TV every year for a major and because it is ultra exclusive. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course, but I doubt people would be willing to** sell a kidney** to play it if it weren't ultra exclusive. And while I would love to play Augusta I think the main reason I want to play it is because no one gets to play it and not because I think it's the best layout golf has ever seen.

>

> Just to be clear I was just kidding about the kidney thing, I don't plan on selling my kidney anytime soon lol

PV is not on TV and number 1.... GD puts out their scoring Methodology and i tend to agree with it. its below

SHOT VALUES

How well do the holes pose a variety of risks and rewards and equally test length, accuracy and finesse?

RESISTANCE TO SCORING

How difficult, while still being fair, is the course for a scratch player from the back tees?

DESIGN VARIETY

How varied are the holes in differing lengths, configurations, hazard placements, green shapes and green contours?

MEMORABILITY

How well do the design features provide individuality to each hole yet a collective continuity to the entire 18?

AESTHETICS

How well do the scenic values of the course add to the pleasure of a round?

CONDITIONING

How firm, fast and rolling were the fairways, how firm yet receptive were the greens and how true were the roll of putts on the day you played the course?

AMBIENCE

How well does the overall feel and atmosphere of the course reflect or uphold the traditional values of the game?

About $1K is all I could realistically afford to pay for a single round of golf as a bucket list item.

On that list, I'd pay that for ANGC. Probably Cypress Point too. For the rest on the list I'd probably then drop down to $500. If I could pick a descending order I'd start with Merion, and then go National, Shinnecock, Oakmont, Fishers Island, Pebble, and finally Sand Hills.

Augusta National, name it. I'll make it happen. But those members in nooooo waaay need my money. Jerks. I just want to play it once. And maybe sleep the night on one of the greens.

The rest are mostly public, so I'd pay rack rate. Wouldn't even try to get the discount, unless it was as simple as staying at the resort with it. Cypress, yeah...I'd pay alot as well, but ANGC is a lifetime dream, being from Ga, watching the Masters my whole life (even before I started playing golf), and going once - that one is a need. At some point. To me (not looking for debate) there is no finer golf course on this planet.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

> @WarEagleGolf said:

> Augusta National, name it. I'll make it happen. But those members in nooooo waaay need my money. Jerks. I just want to play it once. And maybe sleep the night on one of the greens.

>

> The rest are mostly public, so I'd pay rack rate. Wouldn't even try to get the discount, unless it was as simple as staying at the resort with it. Cypress, yeah...I'd pay alot as well, but ANGC is a lifetime dream, being from Ga, watching the Masters my whole life (even before I started playing golf), and going once - that one is a need. At some point. To me (not looking for debate) there is no finer golf course on this planet.

I thought that if you volunteered at Augusta for the week that you get an invite to come back in September or something to play the course? I'm pretty sure that i am correct on this but please let me know if i am wrong.

> @jwellefson1 said:

> > @tgard227 said:

> > We as humans value exclusiveness for some odd reason. I'm willing to bet that if Pebble Beach was as exclusive as Augusta people would pay 2k to play it and we would all be clamoring to find a way to get on Pebble. It's odd how we place value on exclusivity but it's a very real thing. Honestly I think the two reasons Augusta is ranked so high is because it's on TV every year for a major and because it is ultra exclusive. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course, but I doubt people would be willing to** sell a kidney** to play it if it weren't ultra exclusive. And while I would love to play Augusta I think the main reason I want to play it is because no one gets to play it and not because I think it's the best layout golf has ever seen.

>

> Just to be clear I was just kidding about the kidney thing, I don't plan on selling my kidney anytime soon lol

;) I think i read the humor part of the post. But I bet some people would literally sell a non essential organ to play that course.