Callaway Epic

> @wilton said:

> > @TheMoneyShot said:

> > > @wilton said:

> > > Pulled the trigger today can’t wait to get them!

> >

> > What set makeup did you order?

>

> 5-Pw +Aw

>

> I play a hybrid and my first wedge is 50 degree so I’m hoping this covers me.

I would need the AW, GW and SW to cover all of my distances. These things are rocket launchers.

I placed an order for 5-PW, AW steelfiber stiff shafts. Was gaining about 9 yards over my current irons (2017 P790s) when comparing the Epic Forged 7 iron to the P790 6 iron. I'm not concerned about comparing the iron that I just hit into a green to a playing partners iron so that wasn't a consideration for me. What I liked was being able to get the extra distance but with what still felt like less effort and the same level of accuracy of the direct iron replacement in a set. My shot dispersion was spot on where a 7 iron should be for me even though it was effectively the same club as my 6 iron (or a player's iron/blade) 5 iron. Again, for me, what made the iron a great fit was getting that extra distance but not sacrificing the accuracy or dispersion distance wise of the numbered club you would typically see.

• Like 2

> @3putt4thewin said:

> I placed an order for 5-PW, AW steelfiber stiff shafts. Was gaining about 9 yards over my current irons (2017 P790s) when comparing the Epic Forged 7 iron to the P790 6 iron. I'm not concerned about comparing the iron that I just hit into a green to a playing partners iron so that wasn't a consideration for me. What I liked was being able to get the extra distance but with what still felt like less effort and the same level of accuracy of the direct iron replacement in a set. My shot dispersion was spot on where a 7 iron should be for me even though it was effectively the same club as my 6 iron (or a player's iron/blade) 5 iron. Again, for me, what made the iron a great fit was getting that extra distance but not sacrificing the accuracy or dispersion distance wise of the numbered club you would typically see.

These irons are so much fun to hit. Even when I put a bad swing on these they blow right out of there as if they were PUREd.

Got a 4 iron and i have to say for whatever reason i am not seeing any extra distance from any of my other 4 irons despite the lower loft

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Mine came in Tuesday and I was able to play a quick 9 with them on Wednesday night. Awesome clubs. I was able to hit everyone of the irons that I picked up (5-PW, AW) and they all felt wonderful. Very forgiving and I actually like the way the steelfibers shafts felt. This is my first foray into irons with a graphite type shaft so I was concerned how they would play out on the course. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long.

These clubs were about a club longer than my old set (the already somewhat strongly lofted 2017 P790s) which is to be expected with the further lower lofts on these, but the irons produce shots that are just like the irons they are replacing. By that I mean, with the PW I'm hitting PW type shots but they are travelling my old 9 iron distance. I'm certainly not long compared to most that hang out on this site so for me to be able to hit a 7 iron 170 yards in the air and still get it to stop within 3 feet of it's pitch mark is awesome. Pretty much the same thing I saw on the sim, 1 club longer with similar spin, launch and descent angle as the direct iron replacement in my old set.

I can certainly say these clubs won't be for everyone. Heck the price tag alone makes me want to kick myself for the purchase. But I do enjoy these irons. They are easy to hit, and easy to hit it far. I don't have to really rip one to get it to go far. My swing speed is actually higher (I'm sure due to lighter weights overall) but it's not because of swinging harder if that makes sense. It's just effortless.

Sorry for the ramblings...wanted to give a quick review after just a couple of holes for anyone that might be considering these.

• Like 1

> @3putt4thewin said:

> Mine came in Tuesday and I was able to play a quick 9 with them on Wednesday night. Awesome clubs. I was able to hit everyone of the irons that I picked up (5-PW, AW) and they all felt wonderful. Very forgiving and I actually like the way the steelfibers shafts felt. This is my first foray into irons with a graphite type shaft so I was concerned how they would play out on the course. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long.

> These clubs were about a club longer than my old set (the already somewhat strongly lofted 2017 P790s) which is to be expected with the further lower lofts on these, but the irons produce shots that are just like the irons they are replacing. By that I mean, with the PW I'm hitting PW type shots but they are travelling my old 9 iron distance. I'm certainly not long compared to most that hang out on this site so for me to be able to hit a 7 iron 170 yards in the air and still get it to stop within 3 feet of it's pitch mark is awesome. Pretty much the same thing I saw on the sim, 1 club longer with similar spin, launch and descent angle as the direct iron replacement in my old set.

> I can certainly say these clubs won't be for everyone. Heck the price tag alone makes me want to kick myself for the purchase. But I do enjoy these irons. They are easy to hit, and easy to hit it far. I don't have to really rip one to get it to go far. My swing speed is actually higher (I'm sure due to lighter weights overall) but it's not because of swinging harder if that makes sense. It's just effortless.

> Sorry for the ramblings...wanted to give a quick review after just a couple of holes for anyone that might be considering these.

Thanks for the review!

Should have mine coming today in 4-AW. Gained about 20 yards over my Ping Blueprints which is insane!? I’ve always been a high launch high spin player with any iron really but these irons have finally knocked the flight and spin and with even more ball speed, can’t wait to get on the range

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

Spun the 7 iron under 4000. I'm not sure how I'd ever hold a green with these. But it carried 190-195 and went miles in the air. Pulled the trigger on the new 790's, but these are still in the back of my mind.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> Spun the 7 iron under 4000. I'm not sure how I'd ever hold a green with these. But it carried 190-195 and went miles in the air. Pulled the trigger on the new 790's, but these are still in the back of my mind.

That’s actually not that bad. Being 27 degrees of loft, optimal spin numbers for the 7 iron should be between 4,000 and 5,000 rpms. This idea that optimal spin is based on the number on the bottom of the club is bogus. It’s based on the degree loft of the club. I doubt anyone can, or should, hit a 27 degree iron with 7,000 rpms of spin. The club is essentially a 5 iron in a more traditional set and you should see 5 iron type spin numbers.

After more testing of my 4 iron i stand by my assessment that its a disappointing club for me. It seems to have incredibly high ball speeds low on the face, what i would call thin shots. Shots in what would normally be the sweet spot on most clubs feel dead to me. Perhaps my club has an issue as everyone loves it, but hitting it side by side vs my cf16 4 iron and my g400 crossover the epic forged is the shortest of the 3 despite having the lowest loft. It seems to me they moved so much mass low in the face that its missing meat in the middle. Just my opinion

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black