Callaway Epic

> @Titletown said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > Judging by the head girth and shaft selections, this set is definitely targeted for the aging demographic. Seems like good technology. Whatever pushes other manufacturers forward is good for golf.

>

> is this good for golf tho? when do we stop?

Well, they have to push the boundaries and pioneer new developments. Distance sells. Especially to an aging demographic. Personally, I don't see anyone gaming a full set of these. I see long iron replacements (think 2 4i's) or a 6-G. Japanese manufacturers do this all the time. PRGR is known to sell sets that are 6-P and even 7-G in their Egg series. To see them inaugurate special polymers and suspending tungsten to move MOI & CG is still pioneering developments.

There is no shortage of forged MB's and CB's. Theres room in the world for these bulky rocket launchers. Curious to see how many make it into bags.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @rkelso184 said:

> So this is pretty much what ping call power specs... Jack the lofts. Creates a nightmare in your bag for gapping (trust me I know this for a fact) and all the irons and pretty much -1 off the number written on the bottom?

5-iron is 21* hollow body, graphite shaft, and nearly 39" long. These are basically hybrids in iron form with the price to match. I guess they are targeting the senior ego golfer who doesn't want to give up on his 150yd 7-iron distance?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

> @Boognish said:

> > @rkelso184 said:

> > So this is pretty much what ping call power specs... Jack the lofts. Creates a nightmare in your bag for gapping (trust me I know this for a fact) and all the irons and pretty much -1 off the number written on the bottom?

>

> 5-iron is 21* hollow body, graphite shaft, and nearly 39" long. These are basically hybrids in the iron form with the price to match. I guess they are targeting the senior ego golfer who doesn't want to give up on his 150yd 7-iron distance?

Ping i500 PS - 38.25 inch, 22.5-degree loft. holy body construction and easily can be bought with a graphite shaft (keep in mind the Callaway is a steel fibre)

Ping G410 - 38.25 inches, 22-degree loft. again can get a graphite shaft. Heck for the price difference could play a HZRDUS Smoke HC lol

these are designed for the man with the $$$ who wants to turn up, hit a 7 iron too far and have his mates call him a big boy. They fly very high and from what I've seen in reviews are straight, are aimed at a 6-26 (i think thats what I saw??) HCP golfer and are a stunning iron. I think though this will be like the previous Epic fancy iron and be a dust collector on the shelf. In saying that if I didn't just get G410 irons I would have def loved to try these but am also turned off by the distance as I like hybrids and hate short shots.

just saw specs on Cally site, 4i loft at 18* compared to older Epic Pro 3i at 19*, so hypothetical question, if they were to make a 3i in this series Epic set would that be a 1 iron?

was contemplating one of these in a 5i to go between a couple of X Forged UDi 24* & 30*, however its the 7i in these that is 27*, that would make my OCD go through the roof and id loose sleep knowing i had two 7 irons in the bag one at 27* and the other at 33*, looks like i will be making yet another X Forged UDi purchase in the coming weeks.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @Titletown said:

> > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > Judging by the head girth and shaft selections, this set is definitely targeted for the aging demographic. Seems like good technology. Whatever pushes other manufacturers forward is good for golf.

> >

> > is this good for golf tho? when do we stop?

>

> Well, they have to push the boundaries and pioneer new developments. Distance sells. Especially to an aging demographic. Personally, I don't see anyone gaming a full set of these. I see long iron replacements (think 2 4i's) or a 6-G. Japanese manufacturers do this all the time. PRGR is known to sell sets that are 6-P and even 7-G in their Egg series. To see them inaugurate special polymers and suspending tungsten to move MOI & CG is still pioneering developments.

>

> There is no shortage of forged MB's and CB's. Theres room in the world for these bulky rocket launchers. Curious to see how many make it into bags.

I just can't imagine these selling well. If you are a player who needs these clubs for distance, I assume (maybe incorrectly), that you wouldn't want to be spending $300 per iron. They have also put a AW and a GW together in the set which is weird because traditionally a Gap Wedge and an Approach Wedge are the same thing.

TITLEIST TS3 10.5°

TITLEIST 915F 16.5°

TITLEIST 818 H1 21°

TITLEIST U500 4i

TITLEIST T100S 5-PW

TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48.10F/54.10F/58.08M

ODYSSEY WHITE HOT OG V-LINE

TITLEIST PRO V1

> @Titletown said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > @Titletown said:

> > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > Judging by the head girth and shaft selections, this set is definitely targeted for the aging demographic. Seems like good technology. Whatever pushes other manufacturers forward is good for golf.

> > >

> > > is this good for golf tho? when do we stop?

> >

> > Well, they have to push the boundaries and pioneer new developments. Distance sells. Especially to an aging demographic. Personally, I don't see anyone gaming a full set of these. I see long iron replacements (think 2 4i's) or a 6-G. Japanese manufacturers do this all the time. PRGR is known to sell sets that are 6-P and even 7-G in their Egg series. To see them inaugurate special polymers and suspending tungsten to move MOI & CG is still pioneering developments.

> >

> > There is no shortage of forged MB's and CB's. Theres room in the world for these bulky rocket launchers. Curious to see how many make it into bags.

>

> I just can't imagine these selling well. If you are a player who needs these clubs for distance, I assume (maybe incorrectly), that you wouldn't want to be spending $300 per iron. They have also put a AW and a GW together in the set which is weird because traditionally a Gap Wedge and an Approach Wedge are the same thing.

Don’t forget about the Sand wedge....

The lofts are whatever. Callaway knows its market. They arent selling clubs that dont work. My issue is a bigger one: they simply dont jump out at me as ultra premium. The first gen epics looked advanced and tech'ed up. Do these stand out the same way PXGs, or even Titleist concpet irons do? Personally, I dont think so. I guess people who know, know, but I have a hard time paying those $ for callaways that look like basically anything else, offering nothing but jacked lofts and shaft lengths tailored for nba shooting guards.

I think these look classier than the epic's that came out a few years ago, and being forged will probably feel better.

I just don't understand the need to label the clubs as they have. Literally every club is 0.5-1 in long for their stated "iron" but would be fairly in line with the traditional labeling. Just move them all down and just call the top a 3 iron.

I understand the idea of marketing and "oh man, look how far this goes!" but I think there was a fundamental miscalculation here. If anyone is going to spend $2400 on a set, then they're also likely to know what lofts are and what this will do to the composition of their bag. The only people who will be "wowed" will be the people who likely aren't going to buy this club. A discerning consumer who will spend that much money on a club will probably know what is going on loft wise.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i, CB 5i-10i DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

Ping Anser PLD vs L.A.B. MEZZ.1

> @mxskier said:

> I think these look classier than the epic's that came out a few years ago, and being forged will probably feel better.

>

> I just don't understand the need to label the clubs as they have. Literally every club is 0.5-1 in long for their stated "iron" but would be fairly in line with the traditional labeling. Just move them all down and just call the top a 3 iron.

>

> I understand the idea of marketing and "oh man, look how far this goes!" but I think there was a fundamental miscalculation here. If anyone is going to spend $2400 on a set, then they're also likely to know what lofts are and what this will do to the composition of their bag. The only people who will be "wowed" will be the people who likely aren't going to buy this club. A discerning consumer who will spend that much money on a club will probably know what is going on loft wise.

Agreed! These look way better than the previous generation. It will be interesting to see how they look live and in living color.

Not a great player, but I hit my irons half decent.

Had a hit with the 7i (27⁰) with stock SF 95gr stiff and was getting consistent 195m (213y) out of it.

Comparison was Apex Pro 19 6i (29⁰) with elevate 120 tour stiff topping out at 180m (196y)

Feel was good, even off center strikes were flying close to intended line with minimal drop off in length. Sound was a solid whack.

Swing speed is around the 87-89mph with my irons. Can't remember ball speeds but they were high. I like them, powerful yet compact. Talking rogue X distance in an apex package.

Note: This was about a month ago, so haven't had a chance to have another shot with them.

This is also my experience, yours may differ.

See I disagree... I railed against the first Epic iron release because of a number of factors: I thought they copied the PXG marketing copy and I thought they looked "cheapish" like they were trying to just copy the look of the popular driver in an iron (I will admit they looked better in person).

These I think look pretty good. Story is better, forged body which at least matches their other semi-premium Apex iron. So as harsh as I was on Callaway for the first Epic iron release I think this is fine. I mean they aren't for me and I'd never pay that much for irons but I think the release is fine.

> @caloge said:

> The lofts are whatever. Callaway knows its market. They arent selling clubs that dont work. My issue is a bigger one: they simply dont jump out at me as ultra premium. The first gen epics looked advanced and tech'ed up. Do these stand out the same way PXGs, or even Titleist concpet irons do? Personally, I dont think so. I guess people who know, know, but I have a hard time paying those $ for callaways that look like basically anything else, offering nothing but jacked lofts and shaft lengths tailored for nba shooting guards.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Yeah I wouldn't think they'd manufacturer tons of these... I mean you're right if you're 50+ and want some powerful irons there are definitely other cheaper options (Rogue X as an example) but at the same time that's mostly the same demographic who like "premium things". If I were to play a full set of these the wedge thing would drive me crazy- I'd have to have the loft stamped on the AW and GW so I could remember what was what. I love my original Apex hybrids but I could possibly see testing whatever is close to 23/24 degrees against my Apex 4hy and 20 degrees against my Apex 3hy and compare carry, launch, peak height and spin. Or possibly weakening the loft of the 5i and testing against my Apex 5i (my only GI iron in the bag)

> I just can't imagine these selling well. If you are a player who needs these clubs for distance, I assume (maybe incorrectly), that you wouldn't want to be spending $300 per iron. They have also put a AW and a GW together in the set which is weird because traditionally a Gap Wedge and an Approach Wedge are the same thing.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

The only thing I’d consider is using a 3 or 4 as a driving iron but I like the X Utility a bunch.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

> @Pinging77 said:

> These really make me wish I hadn’t sold my Epic Pros. At least then you had two sizes to choose from big GI version and smaller player size less offset. These you get a larger than pro size with less offset. Laugh at the complaint about the backs of the old epics..these are really fugly...

I think both models are terrible looking imho.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > > I'd need 7 wedges.

> >

> > Best comment of the month

>

> The reality is you don't... you play 5-GW and maybe weaken the lofts 1* in certain cases instead of 4-PW using "traditional" lofts. These aren't really meant for professionals or low HC who already can hit a 48* wedge 130+ yards.

>

> I'd like to see these vs M6 vs F9 in a 4i shootout to see who the king of ball speed is and which might be the best driving iron 'replacement'. Wonder if we will see Phil with a 3 or 4i in this club at the Open?

I don't think that would work. Launch, spin and gapping would be all over the place.

Not knocking them. I get there is a market for them.

If you are saying the lofts are jacked and shafts are too long, this club is not being marketed for you. I play golf in a 55+ active adult community (62 years old). When I played in a outing, the guys I was playing with used driver and fairway woods off the tee when I was hitting a 7 or 8 iron. They could not get the ball to stop on the green when I getting the ball to backup. That is the market these irons are targeted towards.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

If like to try these is standard length steel.shafts... I thought my Z765s were high launch low spin.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Epic flash hybrid is shaped like the Rogue. Not really what I was anticipating.

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

> @creecool said:

> Epic flash hybrid is shaped like the Rogue. Not really what I was anticipating.

>

I was hoping for more like the Apex 19 with adjustability.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar