2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

11 hours ago, VNutz said:

I thought the tunnel went from the Maple 18 to the east 9? Basically was the connector between 9s at the old country club, and the walkway to it when the east 9 still existed. With Preserve being it's own course now it wasn't needed. I don't recall a tunnel leading out to 4 but I could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to seeing what work can be done to Maple. I wish that over the years they were run properly to have had some tweaks made here and there rather than a more full and costly reno, but that's a forest preserve course for you. It may not have been an exciting course, but I always enjoyed it. A couple easy holes, a couple tough holes, and some risk/reward. Great course for a walker. Not many courses give you as much of an opportunity to be a couple under par over the first 3 holes if you get off to a decent start.

I think there are two tunnels. 

one under the road between the preserve and maple meadows 

and one from 3 to 4 under the entry to maple 

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

2 hours ago, Edsland said:

My son from SC and I played Napervile Country Club today with a friend of his from High School  thats a member. Course was in great shape but pretty slow round for a Thursday. He said they are full at 250 members and have a waiting list which they haven't had in a long time. 

... I passed that course a thousand times and never got to play it. Glad to hear it was in great shape! 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

15 hours ago, Edsland said:

My son from SC and I played Napervile Country Club today with a friend of his from High School  thats a member. Course was in great shape but pretty slow round for a Thursday. He said they are full at 250 members and have a waiting list which they haven't had in a long time. 

I play Naperville quite a bit when I am in town. Always in good shape. First time I played there I was shocked by the land it is on. Way more undulation and elevation change than you'd expect in Naperville. Was on the verge of joining prior to moving away from the chicagoland. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Edsland said:

They raised their initiation fee by $10,000+ over the past year.

13 minutes ago, Hammy2424 said:

Man was that a fun course.  In great shape and can't beat the value, IMO.  We were a threesome and would have likely completed the 18 in 3 and change.  Got stuck behind a 4-some that ended up playing in 4 hours, but we had to watch from the tee on a par 3 where three had finished and the forth took a call from the apron for a few minutes until one of his own foursome yelled at him.  I wish they would have had the fore sight to just wave us up, but...

Will certainly play out there again.

Glad you enjoyed it. Definitely one of the better courses in the area. Sadly the sport is filled with too many inconsiderate nitwits that think as long as they're playing at a "good" pace they're under no obligation to let a faster group play through. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

18 minutes ago, Hammy2424 said:

Man was that a fun course.  In great shape and can't beat the value, IMO.  We were a threesome and would have likely completed the 18 in 3 and change.  Got stuck behind a 4-some that ended up playing in 4 hours, but we had to watch from the tee on a par 3 where three had finished and the forth took a call from the apron for a few minutes until one of his own foursome yelled at him.  I wish they would have had the fore sight to just wave us up, but...

If the par 3 was #8, the guys in that group would have been better off throwing that dude's phone in the pond beyond the green. I'm sure it was an important call, lol. John Q. Business out at Blackstone for the day.

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

5 hours ago, Hammy2424 said:

Once again Blackstone coming through with the usual, “the course is nice but the ‘members’ who play there are inconsiderate morons” review. We probably should have warned you. Glad you liked the course though. It’s a solid design. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

14 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Once again Blackstone coming through with the usual, “the course is nice but the ‘members’ who play there are inconsiderate morons” review. We probably should have warned you. Glad you liked the course though. It’s a solid design. 

I do not want to seem/be that negative.  Like I said, they were "on pace".  I think part of the trouble is that too many have been taught/trained that pace is the target, and not a "recommended maximum".  And look, I have to take longer than most of you boys, as I am usually hitting about 20 more strokes (though I am working on that).

In defense to them (members) I have to say, our third was a member that would have been ahead of us as a single but chose to join up after the starter posed the question to the three of us, and he was a great playing partner.  He also was a great resource for a few of our tee balls and green previews.  We also had a threesome of members ahead of us that passed the foursome on the third hole.

I think the biggest problem was we caught them pretty quickly, and then had a lot of spectating opportunities.  I think that always makes it worse.  It allows you to sit and analyze your last shot, and then analyze every little thing they could be doing to speed up.

Again, even with the show in front, I really enjoyed the round and will be back.  I really appreciate the GolfWRX resource.  The local course info has been invaluable.

Edited by Hammy2424
reworded for clarity

Played Eaglewood yesterday, likely for the last time.  Greens were perfect, and FAST with the usual ridiculous slopes on holes 2, 9 and 15.  I guess at my age (41), I start to take fewer chances and dodging golf balls for 4 hours is no longer fun for me.  I love the property and the 19th hole is about as good as any, but the line drive right between our group on the 10th tee box snapped me to my senses.  I had already been avoiding the subdivision courses for years as I have no desire to hit someone or their home; but time to avoid the back and forth courses for me as well.  I'll miss you Eaglewood.  

Calumet CC this afternoon. I figured it would be in rough shape and...yep. It was very wet but playable, though the drainage is more a byproduct of the various renovations and updates the course had when it was private than anything being done right now. The bunkers all have weeds in them, the tee boxes on the par 3's are Jackson Park-esque, and the course desperately needs a lot of tree trimming that isn't gonna happen. It's too bad but I realize it'll be a warehouse within a few years regardless. Very sad though. My grandpa was a member at Beverly and Flossmore but he used to love playing Calumet. Ball striking was solid with 12 greens and most chips were just off, leading to fairly easy pars. Not a lot of great birdie looks but lag putting was excellent and I got a short birdie putt to drop on 17. Lovely conditions to play, with a dew point at 74°. I could’ve wrung my shirt out it was so drenched in sweat. 73. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

Our comp played Schaumburg on Saturday.  As is usually the case with SchaumVegas, it plays fast and firm.  The greens were having huge ball marks on highly lofted shots in to the greens yet the greens were Schaumburg fast. Bunkers had nice sand and overall, the course was in fine condition. 

VNutz must has had a personal low of 13 putts or so for the round.  Of course, that's because one of the guys in our foursome ran over V's bag and bent his putter shaft to the point where is wasn't useable.  V putter with his wedge and was admirable with that so if you see a bunch of Scotty's on the BST, you know he's making the permanent move to a bellied wedge.

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

VNutz must has had a personal low of 13 putts or so for the round.  Of course, that's because one of the guys in our foursome ran over V's bag and bent his putter shaft to the point where is wasn't useable. 

Just another reason to permanently outlaw carts. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

Ravisloe? Cantigny? Harborside? Ruffled Feathers? Seven Bridges? 

1. Cantigny
2. Harborside
3. Seven Bridges

and a distant:

4. Ravisloe
5. Ruffled Feathers (if the round is free) 🤪

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

And...golf with people who are cognizant of thing and people around them.

Oh man. VNutz is a carry bag guy, right? I can picture exactly how this went down. Oof. 

And, of course, the game seems hell bent on turning golf carts into mobile bars. Blaring music, screens, screens, screens, and don't forget, Claws for All! Barf.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

2 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

And, of course, the game seems hell bent on turning golf carts into mobile bars. Blaring music, screens, screens, screens, and don't forget, Claws for All! Barf.

... Seems like there are two types these days. Those playing a sport and attempting to be the best player they can be and those that view golf as a social event and actually playing the game far down their list of why they are on the course. 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Seems like there are two types these days. Those playing a sport and attempting to be the best player they can be and those that view golf as a social event and actually playing the game far down their list of why they are on the course. 

It is getting silly with the cart speakers. Seems like every damn golfer got one for Christmas or a birthday over the past two years. When LD and I were in Michigan, during one of our rounds the foursome in front of us had a speaker for each cart. Different playlists though. So, dueling cart speakers when the group was on the tee or on the greens, lol. Unbelievably dumb. 

Just like slow play, you will NEVER find a golfer who admits their cart speaker is too loud either. Oh no, that's the other guys, we NEVER do that.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

41 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Oh man. VNutz is a carry bag guy, right? I can picture exactly how this went down. Oof. 

He is a carry guy who always has a theme with his bag, headcovers, etc. for the round.

Hopefully he'll chime in as I didn't see the exact sequence of events, only the byproduct. Don't think there were mitigating factors other than the failure to pay attention. 

2 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Each 9 is unique so you'll get a variety of opinions with everyone being right.  My preference is probably Hillside/Woodside, although I also like the Lakeside 9.  Think you'd enjoy regardless. Plus it's a great practice facility.

Well I booked it. Looking forward to it! And can't beat a pretty much free round there. 😎

• Like 2

ChiSag - I have a story for you. 

The first time I ever played in a group with guys with a cart speaker was at your old home course, Prairie Bluff. This was about 9 or 10 years ago.

Back then, the cart speaker was not the ubiquitous piece of necessary golf equipment it is today. We got paired up with another twosome. Since the cart speaker was somewhat novel, these guys did ask if they could use it during the round (that would never happen today). I said sure, thinking the music would not be all that noticeable and blend into the background. Boy, did I quickly learn a lesson.

They started off playing music from the band Staind and as round went on the music got a bit harder. By the time we got to #7, I had zero clue what band was playing. All I know, it was loud. I get to my ball in the fairway, ready to hit and a new song comes on. It was some screamo metal with the "singer" shouting over and over "She's a f****** b****, she's a f****** b****." Suffice to say, my approach on that tough hole was not great. Also, learned a very valuable lesson that day. Death to the cart speaker.

• Sad 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

2 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

ChiSag - I have a story for you. 

The first time I ever played in a group with guys with a cart speaker was at your old home course, Prairie Bluff. This was about 9 or 10 years ago.

Back then, the cart speaker was not the ubiquitous piece of necessary golf equipment it is today. We got paired up with another twosome. Since the cart speaker was somewhat novel, these guys did ask if they could use it during the round (that would never happen today). I said sure, thinking the music would not be all that noticeable and blend into the background. Boy, did I quickly learn a lesson.

They started off playing music from the band Staind and as round went on the music got a bit harder. By the time we got to #7, I had zero clue what band was playing. All I know, it was loud. I get to my ball in the fairway, ready to hit and a new song comes on. It was some screamo metal with the "singer" shouting over and over "She's a f****** b****, she's a f****** b****." Suffice to say, my approach on that tough hole was not great. Also, learned a very valuable lesson that day. Death to the cart speaker.

... Just brutal. And therein lies the problem with music on the course. I have a small speaker I use when I walk and only I can hear my classic rock. Being a DJ for the entire 70's it has a nice calming effect on my game. Walking with friends I don't play music, just when I am alone. Occasionally someone asks me to turn it up and I will a little but only if my remote cart is within about 10 yds. I hate country, rap and heavy metal on the course but also realize some may not care for classic rock so I always ask if my pards mind me playing it at a low level because I am usually walking while they are in carts. Several times someone has stated they prefer no music and I appreciated their candor. A few times I could tell by their expression they preferred I did not play music so I didn't turn it on then either. 

... I keep saying in life and especially on a shared golf course, people are either considerate or inconsiderate.