2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Another day at Willow Crest.   Bunker renovation is done and the place looks very different in spots. They did a great job.   I was in two bunkers and almost holed both shots, they're so good.   Greens also are the best they've been in years.   The transformation is something else.   Pace was great at 2:45,  but we had the first official time so if it we were slow it would be on us.  Twosome got out in front of us, they probably finished in two hours.   Nice not having to wait or see stupidity.

Great day driving the ball and irons. Missed four greens and got up and down thanks to great bunker play and chipping.    Bad day on the greens.   5 3 putts for a 75.  Yuck.

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 10/15/2023 at 8:43 PM, Quem24 said:

I know when y’all see a new post you are hoping it’s for a Settlers Hill Review, so here ya go!

After not convincing anybody in my regular or extended golfing group to head out today (I love this weather), I ended up going it alone.

Called over to settlers about 345pm and to make sure they were open. He said cart path only (which I ended up very loosely following as darkness was a factor, almost always walk when alone but as a high handicap I can’t play as fast); open, carts due in by 630. I didn’t have many options after leaving my parents house in North Aurora after the Bears shitshow, so why not try and speed golf this one, after all, it’s only 5 minutes from my house…

My expectations?  3/10. Held out some hope that the remodel was better than I’d seen posted about, here and elsewhere. 

I only played once pre remodel and didn't remember a lot, just that it was among the top 5 worst “regular” courses in Chicagoland that I’d played, if not THE worst. 

My expectations were met.

The good-  The cart paths were pristine!  I assume those were redone. The one sand trap I was in was also perfect. Buzz, working the clubhouse was polite and personable. 

That’s about where the good ends. 

Impossible to sugarcoat this, what a condition disaster. 

Fairways were the worst I’ve played all year (not close). Greens were slightly below average at best and awful at worst. At least they sort of rolled true? To say the tee boxes were chewed up would be all sorts of polite. 

There was a fairway / rough differential so…the fairways were cut. Nice?

Ground under repair on multiple holes. Tee boxes closed off with “Use the mats” instruction (you just remodeled…). The 1st hole is now the 18th…could you bother to move the “Rules of the course” sign off what is now the 18th tee box?  Zero clubhouse change. Minimal layout change, but the layout actually is not THAT bad I suppose. 

Such a shame. Area is starving for a decent course. Instead, we have Prairie Landing and...Hughes Creek, Tanna Farms, this, and, I guess orchard valley is decent. 

If they could have gotten this right it had a lot of potential but instead we got a layout change and new cart paths.  

I can confidently say I won’t be back, ever, though time heals all wounds and I can see myself wanting to cram in a round before sunset in the fall in the future, I guess.

Too bad. 

On 6/11/2024 at 3:27 PM, Holy Moses said:

Has Settler’s Hill improved in condition much? 

NO

Comp round Saturday at Bowes. Not exactly sure what they were thinking but there were places on the course, as well as the entire range that were beyond saturated.  Either that or there was an extremely localized storm that flooded just that part of Elgin.  Ever get mud balls on a range just raking the next ball to hit?  Not talking about Oak Grove where they just fail to clean range balls but it was crazy wet.  

Yet, most of the course was fast and the greens were extremely firm as well, but at least the held most shots. It was rare to leave a ball mark. Bunkers were mostly good except the two I was in, my shots had to be hit out of a footprint.  Is it really that difficult to take 10 seconds and rake where you played from? A couple of the bunkers had wet bottoms as well from that localized flooding.

Lining up my putt on 12, one of the guys behind us literally landed his tee shot about 2 feet behind me.  It's amazing to hit the ball that far but if you know you can do that, you might think about waiting til the green clears. It was the second hole in a row that he almost popped someone in our group.

Think the driver issues are gone but they were replaced by iron issues.  Sheesh, that was ugly. 

Comp round at Bartlett Hills Saturday and a lot of range and video before that.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Comp round Saturday at Bowes. Not exactly sure what they were thinking but there were places on the course, as well as the entire range that were beyond saturated.  Either that or there was an extremely localized storm that flooded just that part of Elgin.  Ever get mud balls on a range just raking the next ball to hit?  Not talking about Oak Grove where they just fail to clean range balls but it was crazy wet.  

Yet, most of the course was fast and the greens were extremely firm as well, but at least the held most shots. It was rare to leave a ball mark. Bunkers were mostly good except the two I was in, my shots had to be hit out of a footprint.  Is it really that difficult to take 10 seconds and rake where you played from? A couple of the bunkers had wet bottoms as well from that localized flooding.

Lining up my putt on 12, one of the guys behind us literally landed his tee shot about 2 feet behind me.  It's amazing to hit the ball that far but if you know you can do that, you might think about waiting til the green clears. It was the second hole in a row that he almost popped someone in our group.

Think the driver issues are gone but they were replaced by iron issues.  Sheesh, that was ugly. 

Comp round at Bartlett Hills Saturday and a lot of range and video before that.

I dunno what's going on but almost every round this year I've been hit into.  At Kankakee Elks we had some early 20 year olds who would hit the approach shots when we put the flag back in, yet we were still on the green.   Luckily they were so bad the green was safe, but after a few holes we finally drove back and went off on them.   Never seen a group back off so quickly.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 6/15/2024 at 2:24 PM, ldchristopher said:

Brighton Dale Links Blue Spruce this morning with Bear. I almost never play on Father’s Day weekend and the first five holes were a prime example of why. We had the third official time at 6:15 and there is a sign that explicitly states golfers are not to tee off until 6:00 AM, yet we were probably the 7th or 8th group. The group in front of us hit some shots that will haunt my dreams for years to come. For $35 on a holiday weekend, this is par for the course and after playing through one group on 6 and another on 10, we didn’t stop again and finished in a shade over 3 hours. The course was in great shape. Greens were running a touch faster than usual and very smooth, the sand in bunkers was compacted and the rough had been cut. 

My game was a mixed bag. Some great ball striking on holes 6-16 with a long birdie putt on 9, a stuffed approach on 16 to a foot from the hole, a huge flop shot on 8 to save par, and some great drives. But the round was bookended by bogies on pretty benign holes. 77. Four rounds in two days coming on Tuesday and Wednesday, as Bear and I hit the road at 3:00 AM for Angel’s Crossing, The Medallist, Calderone, and The Grande. 

Brighton Dale has been in pretty good shape and since they were able to take the rough down to reasonable levels it's been much easier finding balls.  Sand is often inconsistent but as you mentioned the greens were running pretty good this weekend.

Edited by TBone0576
  • Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Played yesterday and today in the IL Senior Open at Hawthorn Woods. Hot and windy then windy and hot. Course is in great shape but my game was not. 1st time doing an event like this. Will definitely do it again next year.

• Like 4
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Day one in Pure Michigan: 

Hitting 13 greens is usually a pretty good sign. Not at Angel’s Crossing. Greens in reg is a pointless statistic there. 
On the sixth hole, I lasered it to the pin. 212 yards. I lasered it to the guy watering the front of the green. 153 yards. 
Oppressive humidity all day. Just covered in sweat the whole round. Dew point was right around 70°. It felt like North Florida. 
The layout at Angels is so good. But those greens are nuts. It’s not like any course we play. It might not be like any other course in the country within our price range. Fairly benign tee to green but some of the craziest slopes and buried elephants around and it’s on every. Single. Hole. 
Very happy with a 75 with two birdies. Barfed up two of the par 5’s but birdied the other two and nearly made an eagle putt.

The Medallist is just awesome. Greens were on the slow side because they got a lot of rain, but it’s such a beautiful course and a very fair test. 
Ball striking was outstanding with 14 greens. No birdies but my lag putting was excellent. 
74 to close day one. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

22 hours ago, Scratch2Plus said:

Preserve Thursday and HoE Friday...

I miss the Preserve, it was in my regular rotation being that it was 10 minutes from me, but their rate increase for me coupled with spotty course conditions have put it on the outside for me.  Once your north of $100 your greens/bunkers need to be good more often than bad, and the last few years that just hasn't been the case.  They can get that place so pristine in the spring months and the minute summer hits it just slowly falls apart. 

17 hours ago, taylorx300 said:

Played yesterday and today in the IL Senior Open at Hawthorn Woods. Hot and windy then windy and hot. Course is in great shape but my game was not. 1st time doing an event like this. Will definitely do it again next year.

While I'm not trying to get old - I look forward to hitting 50 and diving back into getting my game in shape and competing in some of these senior events.   I'm too old to hang with the young kids anymore, and the mid am events just don't excite me (it's like the middle school version of golf, just a place to stick guys that can't compete with the 20 year olds but too young to be a senior). 

Bright and early round at Prarie Landing on Saturday -

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

20 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I miss the Preserve, it was in my regular rotation being that it was 10 minutes from me, but their rate increase for me coupled with spotty course conditions have put it on the outside for me.  Once your north of $100 your greens/bunkers need to be good more often than bad, and the last few years that just hasn't been the case.  They can get that place so pristine in the spring months and the minute summer hits it just slowly falls apart. 

While I'm not trying to get old - I look forward to hitting 50 and diving back into getting my game in shape and competing in some of these senior events.   I'm too old to hang with the young kids anymore, and the mid am events just don't excite me (it's like the middle school version of golf, just a place to stick guys that can't compete with the 20 year olds but too young to be a senior). 

Bright and early round at Prarie Landing on Saturday -

Recognize Senior age group for Pro and AM events can be different.

22 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I

This is why I tell young hockey players to hang onto their fake ID's even after they turn 21.   you're gonna need those ID's when you're 38 and trying to get into the over 40 hockey leagues.   

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ssp said:

Recognize Senior age group for Pro and AM events can be different.

Yeah I know most AM events are 55, there's enough open professional events to keep me occupied in the Midwest.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

46 minutes ago, Springsteennut said:

I played Preserve of Oak Meadows yesterday and Redtail on Tuesday. Two enjoyable but hot days of golf. Both courses were in good shape. Greens at both rolled well. Redtail’s were a little slower than they have been other times I’ve been there this year. We had an early morning round and I think they were watered overnight because they were damp. The Preserve greens were pretty quick. Fairways were pretty hard at both places. Sand traps are being worked on at Redtail so some weren’t great. The ones at the Preserve were in good shape. Pace of play was very good at Redtail and we finished in under 4 hours. The Preserve was slow around 4 and half hour. We had a threesome ahead of us and they wouldn’t tee off until the group ahead of them was off the green. We tried to talk to them about it but got nowhere and not a marshal in sight. My game was good on the front 9 both days but not so much on the back. I blame the heat. The Preserve is the nicer course but not enough nicer to justify the $60 difference in price but I had 2 nice days of golf with friends so I won’t complain about the price too much.

Wait until the hole is clear.... another new trend in golf.  I see this way too much.   Where does this stuff start?

The Preserve price hike this year is insane.   Not something I normally complain about.  Golf is expensive and it is what it is.   I've had the Dupage membership for a long time and last few years could get on for $60 with it.  This year it went up to $85.  I fully expected a hike,  but $25 just  didn't sit right with me considering how up and down things get with conditions.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Wait until the hole is clear.... another new trend in golf.  I see this way too much.   Where does this stuff start?

So, so, so many reasons. None of them good. I will say, the boom appears to be winding down. I can get tee times pretty much anywhere these days. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

24 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

So, so, so many reasons. None of them good. I will say, the boom appears to be winding down. I can get tee times pretty much anywhere these days. 

I need to play where you play.   I took yesterday off a while back,  we looked last week and couldn't find a time at a decent course within 30 minutes of me.   Ended up working.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I need to play where you play.   I took yesterday off a while back,  we looked last week and couldn't find a time at a decent course within 30 minutes of me.   Ended up working.  

Bear and I were talking about the fact that both of us got emails from courses saying they had plenty of open times last weekend. Perfect weather, Father’s Day weekend, and open times? As we know, I play low budget places on weekends. More out of habit than necessity, honestly. Never have issues at those facilities. I will say, a place like Brighton Dale or Countryside will always get you out. Seek out the 36 or 45 hole courses. Do they have the rep of Prairie Landing, Bowes, etc? Obviously not. But they keep pace and have the 6:00 AM weekend times that a parent needs. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Bear and I were talking about the fact that both of us got emails from courses saying they had plenty of open times last weekend. Perfect weather, Father’s Day weekend, and open times? As we know, I play low budget places on weekends. More out of habit than necessity, honestly. Never have issues at those facilities. I will say, a place like Brighton Dale or Countryside will always get you out. Seek out the 36 or 45 hole courses. Do they have the rep of Prairie Landing, Bowes, etc? Obviously not. But they keep pace and have the 6:00 AM weekend times that a parent needs. 

Countryside is always in our rotation.  Great course for the coin. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Blackstone on Wednesday. Conditions were excellent, pace was TOUGH.  Its been a few years since I've been out there and I really like the course but I think its out of the rotation for me now.  I don't play a ton of 18 hole rounds anymore with little kids running around my house, but once you hit $100 rate I'd hope you'd have at least a ranger out there to move the pace, a beverage cart or free range balls with your round. 0-3 was Blackstone on Wednesday.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

2 hours ago, Gdane said:

Blackstone on Wednesday. Conditions were excellent, pace was TOUGH.  Its been a few years since I've been out there and I really like the course but I think its out of the rotation for me now.  I don't play a ton of 18 hole rounds anymore with little kids running around my house, but once you hit $100 rate I'd hope you'd have at least a ranger out there to move the pace, a beverage cart or free range balls with your round. 0-3 was Blackstone on Wednesday.

Blackstone had a like 5 year period prior to Covid that it was at its peak. Been downhill since. The layout is just fine, it was always in good condition, the price was right and there was never anyone out there. Now the layout is still just fine, the conditions are usually good but have been better, the price is high and too many people know about it 😂 Better options without going to the illinois/iowa boarder (hyperbole). 

Can somebody fill me in on the obsession with beverage carts?  Twice in the last few posts, and I've seen numerous complaints about places not having them this year.   

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Can somebody fill me in on the obsession with beverage carts?  Twice in the last few posts, and I've seen numerous complaints about places not having them this year.   

ours doesn't get started until between 9 and 10am on weekends.

when all the courses removed their water coolers and/or turned of the fountains - there became a strong need for beverages on course. crazy they haven't adapted. I mean, at least throw a Coke machine out there for the players.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

19 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

when all the courses removed their water coolers and/or turned of the fountains - there became a strong need for beverages on course.

... Blessing in disguise. One of the rangers at Prairie Bluff cured me from using water coolers. I bring my own reverse osmosis water from home with some essential minerals dropped in but sometimes ran out on a hot day or left them on the counter at home 🙄. He sanitized the cooler in the kitchen, rinsed twice and re-filled them after sitting outside in the sun all day as he was instructed when he started working there. He said most of the other ranges, especially those that had been there a long time not only didn't sanitize them but didn't even rinse them out, just refilled them inviting bacteria and who knows what else. Never used once since. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Blessing in disguise. One of the rangers at Prairie Bluff cured me from using water coolers. I bring my own reverse osmosis water from home with some essential minerals dropped in but sometimes ran out on a hot day or left them on the counter at home 🙄. He sanitized the cooler in the kitchen, rinsed twice and re-filled them after sitting outside in the sun all day as he was instructed when he started working there. He said most of the other ranges, especially those that had been there a long time not only didn't sanitize them but didn't even rinse them out, just refilled them inviting bacteria and who knows what else. Never used once since. 

They are useful for keeping the towel wet... but yeah can confirm the ones at Napebrook when I worked there were never cleaned.   Never got sick drinking from one,  but they are gross and not preferred.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy