Walking ahead

LICC

> @davep043 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > I watched the NCAA Regional tournament this year. NOBODY left the green area before everyone putted out.

> > > > > Golfers who leave before everyone putts out our just as rude as slow golfers. Last time I checked the objective of playing golf is to have fun, not to see how fast you can play.

> > > > >

> > > > > Being ready to leave is wonderful. Leaving before everyone putts out is rude.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah because the NCAA is the perfect example of how amateurs should play ready golf so they're not on the course for 5 hours. Maybe we should also get coaches to walk around with us to get us yardages and help us read greens and discuss shots for 3-4 minutes at a time. It's almost worst than watching some of the guys on tour.

> > > Your opinion of the pace of play in NCAA events doesn't change the standards of appropriate behavior. In this instance, the slow play isn't caused by players waiting at the edge of the green while the last player putts out, its caused by a bunch of other issues. Watching the players finish each hole is appropriate, and is really essential if you're marking that last player's card.

> > >

> >

> > If the groups are playing in threesomes, the marker for the last one to hole out sticks by the green while the other player heads to the next teebox.

> >

>

> What you're saying contradicts what @Roadking2003 said, and I don't know which is correct. Generally, I believe that moving towards your bag or your cart is fine, but staying close enough to watch the last player finish the hole is appropriate. My point was that just because the NCAA tournaments play very slowly doesn't mean that they don't do some things properly, or that everything they do contributes to the slow play. On the other hand, if a group is falling out of position, I don't have a problem with a player moving away towards the next tee in an effort to save a few seconds and catch back up. None of this is so set in stone as to be unchangeable no matter what happens.

I was just pointing out that having the players keep score for one other player in the group doesn't preclude one of the players heading to the next tee. As @MountainKing has pointed out, this is standard practice for the AJGA. One generally doesn't see this in match play.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > I watched the NCAA Regional tournament this year. NOBODY left the green area before everyone putted out.

> > > > > > Golfers who leave before everyone putts out our just as rude as slow golfers. Last time I checked the objective of playing golf is to have fun, not to see how fast you can play.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Being ready to leave is wonderful. Leaving before everyone putts out is rude.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah because the NCAA is the perfect example of how amateurs should play ready golf so they're not on the course for 5 hours. Maybe we should also get coaches to walk around with us to get us yardages and help us read greens and discuss shots for 3-4 minutes at a time. It's almost worst than watching some of the guys on tour.

> > > > Your opinion of the pace of play in NCAA events doesn't change the standards of appropriate behavior. In this instance, the slow play isn't caused by players waiting at the edge of the green while the last player putts out, its caused by a bunch of other issues. Watching the players finish each hole is appropriate, and is really essential if you're marking that last player's card.

> > > >

> > >

> > > If the groups are playing in threesomes, the marker for the last one to hole out sticks by the green while the other player heads to the next teebox.

> > >

> >

> > What you're saying contradicts what @Roadking2003 said, and I don't know which is correct. Generally, I believe that moving towards your bag or your cart is fine, but staying close enough to watch the last player finish the hole is appropriate. My point was that just because the NCAA tournaments play very slowly doesn't mean that they don't do some things properly, or that everything they do contributes to the slow play. On the other hand, if a group is falling out of position, I don't have a problem with a player moving away towards the next tee in an effort to save a few seconds and catch back up. None of this is so set in stone as to be unchangeable no matter what happens.

>

> I was just pointing out that having the players keep score for one other player in the group doesn't preclude one of the players heading to the next tee. As @MountainKing has pointed out, this is standard practice for the AJGA. One generally doesn't see this in match play.

>

It's the expectation at the junior level and how the game is taught at the junior level. It's still being taught as I saw the other day. Even in amateur and pro events I've played in the guys clear the green when they are done putting out. Like I said already, I don't proceed to the next tee anymore unless we're behind, but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole. I don't understand why doing little things to help keep things moving is such a huge deal on this site. If it's rude leaving a green or walking ahead (as long as you are smart/safe about it) then I'm good being rude knowing I'm not holding up the course behind me.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > That's a bit of a stretch. If the golfer has been playing since they were juniors, and played competitive junior golf, that's the expectation and how he/she grew up playing. In fact yesterday I saw a pro on the course with 3 kids doing what looked like a playing lesson and that's how he was instructing them to play. I won't proceed to the next hole and tee off, but I will proceed to the cart or bag and be ready to move on once I hole out. My group plays this way, before the flag rule the last guy to hole out puts the flag back, now we just leave the flag in (which I know is not everybody's cup o tea). This is just a small part of why our 4some can play in 3 hours on an empty course without rushing.

> >

> > I watched the NCAA Regional tournament this year. NOBODY left the green area before everyone putted out.

> > Golfers who leave before everyone putts out our just as rude as slow golfers. Last time I checked the objective of playing golf is to have fun, not to see how fast you can play.

> >

> > Being ready to leave is wonderful. Leaving before everyone putts out is rude.

> >

> >

>

> Yeah because the NCAA is the perfect example of how amateurs should play ready golf so they're not on the course for 5 hours. Maybe we should also get coaches to walk around with us to get us yardages and help us read greens and discuss shots for 3-4 minutes at a time. It's almost worst than watching some of the guys on tour.

Respect for your fellow golfers always trumps speed. Racing through the game is not the objective.

BTW, I spent several hours following these highly skilled golfers and never once observed slow play. NOBODY ever took 3 -4 minutes to discuss a shot. Have you ever watched the NCAA regional playoffs?

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > I watched the NCAA Regional tournament this year. NOBODY left the green area before everyone putted out.

> > > > Golfers who leave before everyone putts out our just as rude as slow golfers. Last time I checked the objective of playing golf is to have fun, not to see how fast you can play.

> > > >

> > > > Being ready to leave is wonderful. Leaving before everyone putts out is rude.

> > >

> > > Yeah because the NCAA is the perfect example of how amateurs should play ready golf so they're not on the course for 5 hours. Maybe we should also get coaches to walk around with us to get us yardages and help us read greens and discuss shots for 3-4 minutes at a time. It's almost worst than watching some of the guys on tour.

> > Your opinion of the pace of play in NCAA events doesn't change the standards of appropriate behavior. In this instance, the slow play isn't caused by players waiting at the edge of the green while the last player putts out, its caused by a bunch of other issues. Watching the players finish each hole is appropriate, and is really essential if you're marking that last player's card.

> >

>

> If the groups are playing in threesomes, the marker for the last one to hole out sticks by the green while the other player heads to the next teebox.

>

That is offensive and rude behavior. I have never seen college golfers do that. In fact, the PGA says they should NOT do that.

> @MountainKing said:

> It's the expectation at the junior level and how the game is taught at the junior level. It's still being taught as I saw the other day. Even in amateur and pro events I've played in the guys clear the green when they are done putting out. Like I said already, I don't proceed to the next tee anymore unless we're behind, but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole. I don't understand why doing little things to help keep things moving is such a huge deal on this site. If it's rude leaving a green or walking ahead (as long as you are smart/safe about it) then I'm good being rude knowing I'm not holding up the course behind me.

>

Then they are being taught wrong. Respect for your fellow competitors is a very basic part of etiquette. The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on or near the green until all players have holed out.

I have attended many pro events and several college events. I have never seen any players leave the green area before everyone has putted out.

You can choose to be rude. That's certainly is your choice but being rude to play fast is not acceptable in my book.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > That's a bit of a stretch. If the golfer has been playing since they were juniors, and played competitive junior golf, that's the expectation and how he/she grew up playing. In fact yesterday I saw a pro on the course with 3 kids doing what looked like a playing lesson and that's how he was instructing them to play. I won't proceed to the next hole and tee off, but I will proceed to the cart or bag and be ready to move on once I hole out. My group plays this way, before the flag rule the last guy to hole out puts the flag back, now we just leave the flag in (which I know is not everybody's cup o tea). This is just a small part of why our 4some can play in 3 hours on an empty course without rushing.

> > >

> > > I watched the NCAA Regional tournament this year. NOBODY left the green area before everyone putted out.

> > > Golfers who leave before everyone putts out our just as rude as slow golfers. Last time I checked the objective of playing golf is to have fun, not to see how fast you can play.

> > >

> > > Being ready to leave is wonderful. Leaving before everyone putts out is rude.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yeah because the NCAA is the perfect example of how amateurs should play ready golf so they're not on the course for 5 hours. Maybe we should also get coaches to walk around with us to get us yardages and help us read greens and discuss shots for 3-4 minutes at a time. It's almost worst than watching some of the guys on tour.

>

> Respect for your fellow golfers always trumps speed. Racing through the game is not the objective.

>

> BTW, I spent several hours following these highly skilled golfers and never once observed slow play. NOBODY ever took 3 -4 minutes to discuss a shot. Have you ever watched the NCAA regional playoffs?

I played college golf, I had a front row seat to some of the slowest rounds of golf I played in my life. Your weekend at the links should not be compared to anything done at that level or the pro level.

And I guess PGA pros across America are teaching the game wrong, interesting the things you discover here.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I also guess the USGA doesn't know etiquette

https://www.usga.org/pace-of-play-resource-center/tips-and-suggestions-for-improving-pace-of-play.html

And the AJGA may penalize you for not being rude

https://www.ajga.org/player-policies/pace-of-play

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I've attended many professional tour events, and I've seen players walk ahead to the next tee several times. One time the group was just put on the clock. Otherwise it seemed to occur when there was a sizeable walk to the next hole.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> I've attended many professional tour events, and I've seen players walk ahead to the next tee several times. One time the group was just put on the clock. Otherwise it seemed to occur when there was a sizeable walk to the next hole.

IE the famous scene where Phil literally runs to the next tee to tee off to beat the suspension for darkness horn several years ago.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Argonne69 said:

> I've attended many professional tour events, and I've seen players walk ahead to the next tee several times. One time the group was just put on the clock. Otherwise it seemed to occur when there was a sizeable walk to the next hole.

I was going to bring this up as well that yes this is a normal thing at professional events. I figure it's not worth it, this dude argues with everybody here, next week somebody will post about how rude it is to walk off the green and he'll be here telling them we all need to be walking off. On top of that I've said several times and still believe strongly, the PGA tour, NCAA ect should not be examples of how amateurs play golf. After college I took a hiatus for a bit from the game because I couldn't fathom any more 5+ hour rounds, I know you did the same. I don't think either you or I are looking for a 4 some to play in under 3 hours, but it seems like the minute you want to try to even get a 4 hour round on a weekend it turns into "oh my god you want speed golf". I love to play golf, not watch grass grow, and even better, when you play in a reasonable amount of time you can either go back out for another round or hit the "19th hole" after to hang with your buds and have some good laughs about the round.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > > That's a bit of a stretch. If the golfer has been playing since they were juniors, and played competitive junior golf, that's the expectation and how he/she grew up playing. In fact yesterday I saw a pro on the course with 3 kids doing what looked like a playing lesson and that's how he was instructing them to play. I won't proceed to the next hole and tee off, but I will proceed to the cart or bag and be ready to move on once I hole out. My group plays this way, before the flag rule the last guy to hole out puts the flag back, now we just leave the flag in (which I know is not everybody's cup o tea). This is just a small part of why our 4some can play in 3 hours on an empty course without rushing.

> > >

> > > I watched the NCAA Regional tournament this year. NOBODY left the green area before everyone putted out.

> > > Golfers who leave before everyone putts out our just as rude as slow golfers. Last time I checked the objective of playing golf is to have fun, not to see how fast you can play.

> > >

> > > Being ready to leave is wonderful. Leaving before everyone putts out is rude.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yeah because the NCAA is the perfect example of how amateurs should play ready golf so they're not on the course for 5 hours. Maybe we should also get coaches to walk around with us to get us yardages and help us read greens and discuss shots for 3-4 minutes at a time. It's almost worst than watching some of the guys on tour.

>

> Respect for your fellow golfers always trumps speed. Racing through the game is not the objective.

>

> BTW, I spent several hours following these highly skilled golfers and never once observed slow play. NOBODY ever took 3 -4 minutes to discuss a shot. Have you ever watched the NCAA regional playoffs?

Why doesn't the slow player have to show respect for the others in his group and those constantly waiting on him including all the people behind him? Respect and manners is applicable to all.

I'd also like to add... lotta slow play penalties, I'm starting to wonder how much golf this guy actually has seen.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/four-slow-play-penalties-already-assessed-ncaa-championship

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > I've attended many professional tour events, and I've seen players walk ahead to the next tee several times. One time the group was just put on the clock. Otherwise it seemed to occur when there was a sizeable walk to the next hole.

>

> I was going to bring this up as well that yes this is a normal thing at professional events. I figure it's not worth it, this dude argues with everybody here, next week somebody will post about how rude it is to walk off the green and he'll be here telling them we all need to be walking off. On top of that I've said several times and still believe strongly, the PGA tour, NCAA ect should not be examples of how amateurs play golf. After college I took a hiatus for a bit from the game because I couldn't fathom any more 5+ hour rounds, I know you did the same. I don't think either you or I are looking for a 4 some to play in under 3 hours, but it seems like the minute you want to try to even get a 4 hour round on a weekend it turns into "oh my god you want speed golf". I love to play golf, not watch grass grow, and even better, when you play in a reasonable amount of time you can either go back out for another round or hit the "19th hole" after to hang with your buds and have some good laughs about the round.

Well, exactly. I like to play golf, not sit in cart. I'd rather play 27-36 holes in 5 hours than one round of 18. PLus my back and hip are stiff from Jiu Jitsu, so I prefer to keep warm.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I was always taught to walk to the side of the green nearest the next tee (where your bag should also be) and wait for your FCs to hole out before moving to the next tee box. I would only go ahead if we were trying to catch up and play ready golf.

• Like 1

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @Bingo1976 said:

> I was always taught to walk to the side of the green nearest the next tee (where your bag should also be) and wait for your FCs to hole out before moving to the next tee box. I would only go ahead if we were trying to catch up and play ready golf.

This, and if your bag/pushcart is for some reason on opposite side, you should proceed there and bring it around right after your last putt. You can always excuse yourself by saying "sorry, I got to get my bag".

• Like 1

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

• 4 weeks later...

> @Krt22 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > > @antip said:

> > > > > > > Chamblee is simply out of step with most thinking golfers on this issue. "The rudest players are the fast players" is the dumbest thing I have heard from a so-called golf analyst.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And yet he is correct, Maybe dumb, but correct.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, not really. They honestly don't disrupt anyone where as really slow players can disrupt everyone

> > > >

> > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > > @antip said:

> > > > > > > Chamblee is simply out of step with most thinking golfers on this issue. "The rudest players are the fast players" is the dumbest thing I have heard from a so-called golf analyst.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And yet he is correct, Maybe dumb, but correct.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, not really. They honestly don't disrupt anyone where as really slow players can disrupt everyone

> > > >

> > > > I think that there is plenty of room for rudeness at each end of the speed spectrum. But fast players can show their impatience, and so visibly APPEAR to be rude. The slow players can just act oblivious as they dawdle along, so their version of rudeness isn't so obvious.

> > >

> > > I think there is a not so fine line between fast players and simply rude players, that is an entirely different story. The guys who get to their ball and hit it quickly are never an issue and/or rude in any way. The guy who rushes off the green and is hitting his tee shot while guys are still putting is just an ignoramus

> >

> > Even if the group has fallen two holes behind?

> >

>

> In that case totally OK. There are actually 2 golfers in my men's club that are so dang slow that you essentially have to do this, otherwise you are in for a smooth 5.5 hour round (not even exaggerating)

There's one or two groups here who think a normal round of golf is 6hrs!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Karen Stupples was wondering why in Solheim Cup foursomes the other player was not walking ahead as it was very slow.

Couple of years ago I was playing in UK and they had only two-ball allowed. It was almost empty course and I was with my brother. We are quite quick but in last holes we were caught up by four older gentlemen in carts. First we could not understand how they were so fast but the idle half drove to the landing area while the other one was preparing to hit.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

I attended the LPGA tournament at Brickyard Crossing in Indy yesterday. I walked 36 holes with several groups. Walking ahead was very common. So common that hanging back would be considered uncommon.

Also, numerous times one player would proceed to the next tee while the 2nd player watched (from off the green) the 3rd player hole out. This generally happened when the 1st player had the honors on the next tee after holing out for birdie.

• Like 1

> @cardoustie said:

> Every pro and top level am's do this

That's fine, those guys know how to play. The average amateur doesn't. The ball can easily hit another player if you aren't fully aware when the other player is hitting.

All things equal if all the players are fully alert when someone else is hitting I'm down. So long as it has been decided pre round to play ready golf. Ready golf is real golf to me. Anything else is more like sunbathing or chess.

• Like 1

Just walked 54 holes, inside the ropes as a volunteer at the Safeway open. Every player, every group, walks to their ball immediately. Literally no one hangs back while the shorter guy hits, if they are in someone’s line, they will move off 10-15 yards once the guy is ready to hit, but they are getting yardages while the other guy is preparing to hit.

No reason for ams or anyway else not to do the same, if you are dealing with a hacker/shanker just be aware and maybe give a slightly bigger window.

• Like 1

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Imp said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

>

> --kC

Pretty much, and a guideline is just that, a guideline. I don't recall ever seeing a player get penalized for doing this as it's not a rule. Attend enough events, or hell play in enough local events, and you'll see plenty of guys leaving the green for the next tee or waking a good distance towards the next tee while still keeping the previous green in site. What you see on Sunday on TV is such a small sample size of what happens over the course of a 4 round event, guys coming down the stretch in contention with their playing partners are more likely to stick around and watch them hole out so they know where they stand going into the next hole.

As far as amateurs go, since none of us are on tour, the USGA suggestions that we should be following are here: https://www.usga.org/pace-of-play-resource-center/tips-and-suggestions-for-improving-pace-of-play.html

"Be efficient on the putting green

Mark your ball and lift and clean it when you arrive at the putting green so you will be ready to replace it when it is your turn to play. You can usually line up your putt while others are putting, without disturbing them. Leave your clubs on the side of the putting green closest to the next tee, and **leave the green promptly** after holing out. Wait until the next tee to record your score

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Imp said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

>

> --kC

Right. My post didn't disagree with his action. It supported his action.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Imp said:

> > > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> > MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

> >

> > --kC

>

> Right. My post didn't disagree with his action. It supported his action.

It's at this time I will call you out on your bullcrap and then subsequently block you.

You started the line with: "Then they are being taught wrong." Which is opposing what you said. Welcome to a list of 1 which is now 2, along with PT.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Imp said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @Imp said:

> > > > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > > > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> > > MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

> > >

> > > --kC

> >

> > Right. My post didn't disagree with his action. It supported his action.

>

> It's at this time I will call you out on your bullcrap and then subsequently block you.

>

> You started the line with: "Then they are being taught wrong." Which is opposing what you said. Welcome to a list of 1 which is now 2, along with PT.

>

> --kC

In his defense (and I can't believe I'm defending him), that comment was in regards to the way Jr tournaments are generally run. AJGA and many numerous JR events require a player to move to the next tee once they hole out. This is how I played growing up having played in a lot of tournaments. He seems to indicate this is "wrong" teaching, but I'm not sure how it's "wrong" when it's the organization running the tournament telling you that you have to play this way. On a weekend afternoon round with your buddies this type of play is a bit extreme and will generally just have you sitting on the next tee box watching the grass grow while the group in front of you is just pulling away and getting to their balls in the fairway. With that said, if you grew up playing tournament golf as a kid, this is how you learned and this is the habit you are in, which means you'll probably leave the green and go to your bag or cart right after you hole out. None of it's wrong, and they are not being taught wrong, it's a rule they have to follow.

Later the conversation I believe turned toward amateur weekend golf. Going to the next tee as I said previously is overkill, but once you hole out you absolutely should proceed to your bag or cart, as the USGA lays out in their guidelines. I believe he is down with this stance, although at some point he probably argued against that as well because that's just how he is.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > any pics of where brooks was standing ?

> > There are galleries closer than that on just about every tee box.

> > x256qyeccpr7.jpg

> >

>

> Yea. For a hooker like Rory I’d say Brooks could be 10 yards farther right and be better off. If I’m hitting a slinging draw I wouldn’t like you there. I’d likely subconsciously pull it to keep you from danger. Or moreso if I thought he was doing it on purpose as gamesmanship, I’d probably say something. Brooks is the guy who’d do that on purpose.

I would not be comfortable hitting my shot with him there. I quite often tell people standing or moving their cart up a position like that to move or I will not hit. I am one of those who hits slinging draws. If you are on my left side...not a problem. In front of me on the right...get outta da way.

> @Imp said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @Imp said:

> > > > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > > > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> > > MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

> > >

> > > --kC

> >

> > Right. My post didn't disagree with his action. It supported his action.

>

> It's at this time I will call you out on your bullcrap and then subsequently block you.

>

> You started the line with: "Then they are being taught wrong." Which is opposing what you said. Welcome to a list of 1 which is now 2, along with PT.

>

> --kC

Block to your heart's content. If it makes you feel better, tell yourself you are correct.

My position on this issue is quite clear:

1. If they are being taught to leave the green and go to the next tee box before everyone has putted out, they are being taught bad etiquette.

2. If they are being taught to follow the guideline "that all competitors remain on or near the green until all players have holed out" then they are being taught good etiquette.

3. If MK is near the green by his cart or bag waiting for his fellow competitors to putt out, then he is following the guidelines.

Why do you think this is so complicated?

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Imp said:

> > > > @Imp said:

> > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > > > > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> > > > MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

> > > >

> > > > --kC

> > >

> > > Right. My post didn't disagree with his action. It supported his action.

> >

> > It's at this time I will call you out on your bullcrap and then subsequently block you.

> >

> > You started the line with: "Then they are being taught wrong." Which is opposing what you said. Welcome to a list of 1 which is now 2, along with PT.

> >

> > --kC

>

> Block to your heart's content. If it makes you feel better, tell yourself you are correct.

>

> My position on this issue is quite clear:

> 1. If they are being taught to leave the green and go to the next tee box before everyone has putted out, they are being taught bad etiquette.

> 2. If they are being taught to follow the guideline "that all competitors remain on or near the green until all players have holed out" then they are being taught good etiquette.

> 3. If MK is near the green by his cart or bag waiting for his fellow competitors to putt out, then he is following the guidelines.

>

> Why do you think this is so complicated?

>

>

Expected behavior cannot be bad etiquette. Bad etiquette would be doing the opposite of what you're being asked and expected to do, and you're also putting your playing partners in a potential bad situation with slow play if you're not doing your job to keep up.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Imp said:

> > > > but once I hole out I head off to the cart or my bag and get ready to move onto the next hole.

> > > The PGA guideline is that all competitors remain on **or near the green** until all players have holed out.

> > MountainKing said exactly, EXACTLY what you're advocating. The cart/bag is usually near the green, yes? So... what's the malfunction? Are you having a problem with "near"? In that 10 feet is near but 11 feet isn't?

> >

> > --kC

>

> Pretty much, and a guideline is just that, a guideline. I don't recall ever seeing a player get penalized for doing this as it's not a rule. Attend enough events, or **** play in enough local events, and you'll see plenty of guys leaving the green for the next tee or waking a good distance towards the next tee while still keeping the previous green in site. What you see on Sunday on TV is such a small sample size of what happens over the course of a 4 round event, guys coming down the stretch in contention with their playing partners are more likely to stick around and watch them hole out so they know where they stand going into the next hole.

>

> As far as amateurs go, since none of us are on tour, the USGA suggestions that we should be following are here: https://www.usga.org/pace-of-play-resource-center/tips-and-suggestions-for-improving-pace-of-play.html

>

> "Be efficient on the putting green

> Mark your ball and lift and clean it when you arrive at the putting green so you will be ready to replace it when it is your turn to play. You can usually line up your putt while others are putting, without disturbing them. Leave your clubs on the side of the putting green closest to the next tee, and **leave the green promptly** after holing out. Wait until the next tee to record your score

You do realize that they aren't saying that each individual should leave the green promptly after holing out but that they are referring to the group. They are using the colloquial "you" and "your" in this.