2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

My L4V X is at least 1º open....an L4V F I looked at recently was a little closed.

Scott

I have an X that does sit open, but to my surprise I had ordered a 10* F for my son and when it came in today and I sat it beside my X, his F "looks" lie it sits more open than mine.

Question for you L4V-F guys ... I was at Edwin Watts yesterday getting a few gloves .... and of course I perused the store for new goodies. So I go over to L4V-land and lo-and-behold they have another X head in ... So I am giving it the waggle ... and for goofs I grabbed a 9* F head

Guys & Gals ... This particular F head looked more open than the X . I was SHOCKED - I couldn't get it straight in my head - I looked and looked and looked - IT LOOKED MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you F guys seeing the same thing ... I LOVED IT !!!!

I even called DEEP THROAT ... Sd "Hey - My dumb arse is LITERALLY calling you standing on the floor of Watts - Have I gone insane" ... DEEP THROAT advised that I might not be ... but the company line is they are "supposed" to be more closed. I had the manager & 2 of my buds there eyeball it and said the same thing ... It looked VERY PLEASING to the eye . I may go get the dang thing ....

You guys seeing that in the F heads ?? ... KING of the KOOL-AIDE BRIGADE NEEDS YOUR HELP :coolpics:

Way back on page 6 I commented on how open my son's F 10* looked. I haven't had it measured and was actually a little worried that he might have some trouble getting the face squared up, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Being LH I do not have an X to compare it to but I can confirm that my F is indeed 1/2 degree open. Everyone one I've seen is square to slightly open.

...Quite often what "looks open" is actually the paint on the crown of a mass produced head. A face can easily look open or closed depending on the paint quality. A good clubmaker can shave the paint to make almost any head look open. I have done it on many a head that looked a little closed, but speced out square. Once I shaved the paint from the middle of the face toward the toe, it looked anywhere from 1-2* open. I have a 19* HB-001 straight from the Sonartec tour van that was shaved to look quite a bit open.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

OK ... I stole an idea from Ari / Scratch .. I just glued a X head with an Fuji HK-Pro110 - at 44 inches ... Its heavy but ... I like it .... Gonna smack it on Friday :partytime2:

1101.jpg

1102.jpg

Mark of a true driver hoe...the never ending search for the best driver combo... :coolpics:

Ahhhh....how i wish i was single and got money to burn...lol. Look forward to your results.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

So... I woke up today feeling great. I'm not entirely sure why some people have a bad experience with their wisdom teeth being taken out, but I sure didn't. A very small amount of swelling, no bleeding, and minimal pain. A couple of early morning Voltaren and I was fine.

I went to my club with the thought of hitting a bucket of balls before coming back home to feel sorry for myself - I ended up hitting about 40 with irons and 20 with my new L4V X. Coincidentally, the Cobra rep was in the pro shop when I showed up. When he saw the club he was excited, but when I told him how much I paid his face fell and he said something about warranty not being valid if I get it re shafted by a third party... yeah, I can deal with that! $AU310 rather than $AU600... I bought mine cheaper than my pro buys his from the rep!

First thoughts... wow, it's long. It's forgiving, but give it a bad swing and it'll let you know. The sound is a bit bizarre but I got used to it. On the range, I was consistently getting about 230m uphill carry - balls were routinely hitting the stand of trees at the end, a place I've never carried but regularly roll to with my other driver. The stock X flex shaft is too spinny for my liking and was ballooning a bit. With my Titleist 905T with the stock Fujikura stiff shaft, a poor swing is sent left. With this, a bad swing was a slight fade/slice, but nothing unmanageable like some of the pull hooks the Titleist can give me.

Anyway, I ended up seeing a couple of mates at the course and felt alright so I went around for 18. After a terrible front 9 (12 over or some rubbish) I came good with a decent back 9 for me of 3 over, with 3 missed easy putts. Nuts. Of the 8 holes I use my driver on, I go for the fairway on 6. I ended up hitting 4 - on two holes the ball went too bloody far and ran in to trouble (strangely, both times on the back 9). The ball was still ballooning a bit and costing me a bit of distance, but I was able to work it both right and left and straight without much trouble.

I had a chat with my pro after we played and he suggested that he look at me swinging it with the stock shaft before he re shafts it for me, which is fair enough.

I'm very happy - and I'd say without hesitation that even with the stock shaft, it's at least 20m longer than my 905T, perhaps even more. I don't need to swing any harder with this than I do with the 905, and it goes a lot further. In fact, if I really wind up and belt it straight I lose distance, because of the spin.

We'll see what happens - I might end up with the Protopype in there. I hope I do, but convincing my pro to do it might be another matter!

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

You can always swap em back Steve, and to me it sounds like the Pype will add that extra penetration and scary distance.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Yeah that was my thought too... but he seems to think there's an unhappy chance of breaking the shafts when they're pulled.

I'm not sure why - he's not a novice and has machines to do it!

If I'm feeling alright I'll head up there tomorrow and talk things through with him. Hopefully I'll have the Protopype in there when I play again on Monday!

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I looking at the L4V.. and just about ready to do this..

all you need to go with the club is the swing -

that's right here / http://cobratourblog.com/

Video: Camilo at the Buick Invitational

(about half way down the page)

about 95 percent of his weight on the right leg on

the backswing and throw your body forward... 300 +

I got bored the other day and added a little pain to mine:

Yellow paint instead of gold, and painted the 9 and the X as well.

Matches my grip nicely:

EDIT:

Here are my monitor numbers from today:

All of these were an average after 14 balls:

SS: 114.8 MPH

Ball Speed: 168.4

Spin: 2584

LA: 14.8°

Carry: 312.6 yards (WHAT?!?!?!)

Total: 336.4

I am very pleased with this club. I have never seen numbers like this before, and couldn't be happier.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Matches my grip nicely:

EDIT:

I am very pleased with this club. I have never seen numbers like this before, and couldn't be happier.

TMGG182...everything looks just perfect. Good job man!

I had a Graphite Design PM 702 (HUGE THANKS to GDIPershing!) stiff installed in my L4V-X over the weekend.

Finally got the chance to hit it tonight.

Wow!! :black eye: :birthday:

This is a completely different beast now. LONG... HIGH... FLAT... TIGHT... BOMBS!!

This combo is the real deal. The PM 702 completely lowered my ballflight and it flattened out my trajectory big time. The dispersion of this shaft is just unreal. It was installed untipped, at 44.5", and it's perfect. My swingspeed is 103-107, and it's an amazing combo. Just amazing.

LONG LIVE COBRA!!

Hey Golfware,

I've got the same setup coming and thinking of going to 44.75". What was the swingweight at 44.5"?

I keep reading here about swing weights. I know that the L4V head is heavier than most stock heads but 1 swingweight is equal to adding the weight of 1 dollar bill (paper not coin) to the head. Very few people can distinguish a 2 to 3 gram difference in head weight. My feeling is as long as the overall weight of the club isn't going through the roof than the swing weight is not that important. Then again I am used to swinging clubs that have swing weights that are in the G to E range. Never mind.

I keep reading here about swing weights. I know that the L4V head is heavier than most stock heads but 1 swingweight is equal to adding the weight of 1 dollar bill (paper not coin) to the head. Very few people can distinguish a 2 to 3 gram difference in head weight. My feeling is as long as the overall weight of the club isn't going through the roof than the swing weight is not that important. Then again I am used to swinging clubs that have swing weights that are in the G to E range. Never mind.

Hahaha best reply I've seen in a while. How true is it though....I switch between drivers in which the swingweights vary greatly. The heavier the club, the greater the accuracy. Well, that is how it is supposed to be anyways. :black eye:

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Well i got one (X 9*) coming with a Code 6, i hit the F 9* stock stiff super straight but a bit spinny and not super long, i reckon the X with the low spin Code 6 is a chance of being the ticket and if not i'll go tip stiff. I won't have it for a little while but can hardly wait to see what different shafts do.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Ok, I've decided that I'm going to pull the trigger today on a 9* X. My SS hovers between 100 and 105, moderate transition. Should I try the Stiff or X flex stock shaft in hopes that I can get away without reshafting? (hahahaha, yeah..right)

Thanks for your opinions

... just remember, you CAN order the L4V with a VS Proto for no upcharge. As long as you do not have a violent transition (COUGHrobo) or very high swingspeed, it is a great shaft for zero $$$. If playing it at full length, you can always go up a flex. I ordered a L4V-X with the VS Proto 65-s. I'll play it at 44.25" so it should play true to flex. Although if I love the combo, I'll replace it with a SVS7 (VooDoo 70-s) Same shaft as the VS Proto with internal bracing. Speakin of which:

... Rob, since this is basically your diary ; ) I haven't heard much about the XVS you had in one of yours? I know the Pype fits a Herculean Hard Hitter better, but do you still have the XVS in your collection?

Ok, I've decided that I'm going to pull the trigger today on a 9* X. My SS hovers between 100 and 105, moderate transition. Should I try the Stiff or X flex stock shaft in hopes that I can get away without reshafting? (hahahaha, yeah..right)

Thanks for your opinions

... just remember, you CAN order the L4V with a VS Proto for no upcharge. As long as you do not have a violent transition (COUGHrobo) or very high swingspeed, it is a great shaft for zero $$$. If playing it at full length, you can always go up a flex. I ordered a L4V-X with the VS Proto 65-s. I'll play it at 44.25" so it should play true to flex. Although if I love the combo, I'll replace it with a SVS7 (VooDoo 70-s) Same shaft as the VS Proto with internal bracing. Speakin of which:

... Rob, since this is basically your diary ; ) I haven't heard much about the XVS you had in one of yours? I know the Pype fits a Herculean Hard Hitter better, but do you still have the XVS in your collection?

Not to mention if the VS Proto doesn't work out you can sell it on ebay for more than you could the stock Diamana. I got $70 for my Cobra VSProto pull on ebay...not bad

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5"

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 Raw, 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4" - with leading edge grind

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

Matches my grip nicely:

EDIT:

TMGG182...everything looks just perfect. Good job man!

Well i got one (X 9*) coming with a Code 6, i hit the F 9* stock stiff super straight but a bit spinny and not super long, i reckon the X with the low spin Code 6 is a chance of being the ticket and if not i'll go tip stiff. I won't have it for a little while but can hardly wait to see what different shafts do.

TM, those are ridiculous numbers! I wouldn't change a thing! Q, the code 6 is much like the blue board and should be a great fit for that head.

Mr. UPS man just dropped off L4V number 2 :black eye: Went with the stock X shaft this time around. Figured it was worth a test drive. SS is 110-115 with what I call an aggressive transition though playing partners have referred to it as violent. :birthday: It doesn't feel bad at all. It's no more whippy than the V2 x or BB x that I have. Once this weather here in NJ clears up I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays. Have we hit 20 pages yet?

I looked at the option of adding the VS Proto and the 60gr yellow shaft is no $$ but if you want the blue 80gr shaft it is $60.

... What a bite!!! Just what a 208gm head needs. A heavy 85gm shaft. ; )

I can't believe this is 19 pages!!!

You obviously haven't hit the driver yet. :black eye:

big_jess I didn't think numbers like that were possible. I am going to go and get it checked again next week at a different place to make sure the numbers weren't a fluke or a jacked up monitor or something lol.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Gents ... I NUKED !!!!!!!!!!!!! that HK-110 combo today - NUKED ... Not the longest L4 I have - BUT SOOOOOOO stable - dropped the launch angle like an anchor ... and low spin ... not short either - but just a MONEY dependable / predictable heavy driver

What a golf driver ... So Good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

TP-7X & Whiteboard are duking it out for Big Dog #1 for me - but this HK is KILLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - we'll see :black eye: