2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Seems like the PM702 and the Pype are 2 of the more "popular" choices in this head. Mine has the Pype, and I hit a couple BOMBS with it today, but also hit some that were a little too spinny. For those that have tried both, does the 702 offer more spin reduction than the Pype? I am thinking of trying this combo, or maybe tipping the Pype another 1/2" Thanks for your help.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

Seems like the PM702 and the Pype are 2 of the more "popular" choices in this head. Mine has the Pype, and I hit a couple BOMBS with it today, but also hit some that were a little too spinny. For those that have tried both, does the 702 offer more spin reduction than the Pype? I am thinking of trying this combo, or maybe tipping the Pype another 1/2" Thanks for your help.

They have to be close ... I THINK the Pype is the lower spin shaft - DEF the lower launch shaft ;)

I have the X model with the stock Redboard in stiff flex. I think I am going to re-shaft with either a Rombax 6W06 or Blueboard. My SS is around 103-105 with a mid quick tempo. My spin is around 3600, 14* launch and ball speed around 144. Can anyone tell if one of these might be better than the other? I would also consider something else if you have a better suggestion.

Thanks!

They have to be close ... I THINK the Pype is the lower spin shaft - DEF the lower launch shaft

I don't know much about the Pype, but I thought the PM702 was supposed to be just about the lowest launch, lowest spin shaft you could get. The Golfsmith RSSP is 100-115 for the STIFF! That's a pretty stout shaft.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Jack Ham doesn't have this "Hammer" golfing_banana.gifgolfing_banana.gif1_4_126.gif

l4c14.jpg

l4c12.jpg

OK ... So I got bored ..... I just wanted to know ... What's in there ... and to all those worried about hurting the carbon fiber when you are trying to pull the shaft ... DON'T EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT !!!!!! ... The cupface is much bigger than I thought - and it took some HEAT to get this apart.

l4c13.jpg

CLEAN plasma welding !!!!!!!!!!

l4c16.jpg

l4c17.jpg

l4c1.jpg

And case you were wondering ... ;)

l4c15.jpg

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Jack Ham doesn't have this "Hammer" golfing_banana.gifgolfing_banana.gif1_4_126.gif

l4c14.jpg

l4c12.jpg

OK ... So I got bored ..... I just wanted to know ... What's in there ... and to all those worried about hurting the carbon fiber when you are trying to pull the shaft ... DON'T EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT !!!!!! ... The cupface is much bigger than I thought - and it took some HEAT to get this apart.

l4c13.jpg

l4c16.jpg

l4c17.jpg

l4c1.jpg

l4c15.jpg

ROBO...man!! teu87.gifThat's crazy. Sorry, just had to steal one of your devil guys. Hey Rob, thinking of picking up another L4 (used) for experimenting. I know Lama put a 660TR in one already...I have a 660TR XX as well, and it's got me thinking. We'll see...

I must admit that I had little interest in this driver. Today we had a Cobra demo and I was like what the heck after I warm up I will hit a few clubs. I really liked the forged irons. They felt really good and consistent.

But the winner was this L4V F. Man I was hitting nice high bombs with this stick. The distanced seemed to be close to my G10 /V2 setup but the dispersion was much better. The L4v had the Stiff Red in it, man this thing was straight.

I have my radar up to demo one for live action soon.

I need some help guys. I purchased a 9* LVX with the 60S pype tipped to 44.5 in the BST. My previous setup was a TM Superquad 8.5* with Epic 60S at 46. I hit the TM nice and high but was always battling a high hook. The Cobra does go far when I hit it but I am having a tendancy of hitting it low, when I go after it. Also my misses now are a hard push. I think the shaft might be the problem. I also find the club alot lighter than the Superquad for some reason and would preferer a little more weight.

I am going to sell this set up and would like your suggestions on a shaft for a new one. SS is 110ish and very quick tempo. What shaft do you suggest? I'm really not used to missing right. Thanks

l4c14.jpg

l4c12.jpg

l4c13.jpg

l4c16.jpg

l4c17.jpg

l4c1.jpg

l4c15.jpg

Robo...

do you know how much the tungsten weight in the back weighs?

Is that small blob all the ratglue that was in it? I thought they added more for the added weight in the X? Maybe they use different tungsten weights for dif heads?

I was wondering the same thing. Where is the weight? That small blob is the sole plug.

I need some help guys. I purchased a 9* LVX with the 60S pype tipped to 44.5 in the BST. My previous setup was a TM Superquad 8.5* with Epic 60S at 46. I hit the TM nice and high but was always battling a high hook. The Cobra does go far when I hit it but I am having a tendancy of hitting it low, when I go after it. Also my misses now are a hard push. I think the shaft might be the problem. I also find the club alot lighter than the Superquad for some reason and would preferer a little more weight.

I am going to sell this set up and would like your suggestions on a shaft for a new one. SS is 110ish and very quick tempo. What shaft do you suggest? I'm really not used to missing right. Thanks

It's not the shaft it's that you are used to the draw biased SQ which the L4V is NOT. That's good for a good many of us who HATE hitting it left and LOVE being able to release hard without worrying about going left with the L4V but not good for people who are used to draw biased drivers which the superquad is. Normally we'd have to buy tour issued clubs that are open a few degrees until the L4V came along. You may need to look into the F head instead.

I was wondering the same thing. Where is the weight? That small blob is the sole plug.

The tungsten weight is very small and it´s in the back of the head, I wonder how much it weights.

Don´t manufacturers usually use different amounts of rat glue in the sole plug to balance out manufacturing tolerance? I thought they used it in the L4V to add weight between the X, F, M... maybe they use different tungsten weights.

Rob, I can't believe you ripped that thing apart! Gosh that is crazy. Have you hit it yet? :)

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-08° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

It's not the shaft it's that you are used to the draw biased SQ which the L4V is NOT. That's good for a good many of us who HATE hitting it left and LOVE being able to release hard without worrying about going left with the L4V but not good for people who are used to draw biased drivers which the superquad is. Normally we'd have to buy tour issued clubs that are open a few degrees until the L4V came along. You may need to look into the F head instead.

I really dont think its the head. Before the SQ I played R5N, 510TP, FT-5m, etc. I also play my fairways and hybrids neutral. I was wondering if the shorter length shaft could be causing this. In any case if I wanted a little higher ball flight what would you guys recommend. Epic, PM702, WB?

Loft shouldnt be the issue since I've played between 7.5 and 8.5 since I started golfing. I play off a 7 handicap if that helps. Driver distane 290-310. 7 iron 170

Just got my 4th L4V yesterday.... The first 3 didn't work out either due to the shafts

or hitting in 25* over the PA winter.. I have the Rombax 6X07 in this one and crushed some

today that were clearly longer than I've been with other drivers..

Then I hit some that weren't that far....but I'm getting closer......

TM R1 Phenom
Ping 18*
TM 22*
Mizuno Easy Forged
TM 52-56=60
2 ball blade milled

I really dont think its the head. Before the SQ I played R5N, 510TP, FT-5m, etc. I also play my fairways and hybrids neutral. I was wondering if the shorter length shaft could be causing this. In any case if I wanted a little higher ball flight what would you guys recommend. Epic, PM702, WB?

Loft shouldnt be the issue since I've played between 7.5 and 8.5 since I started golfing. I play off a 7 handicap if that helps. Driver distane 290-310. 7 iron 170

The shaft may also be stiffer than you are use to. The Pype tipped playing at 44.5 should be alot stiffer than an Epic playing at 46. Big differense there. Plus the Pype is a high kick shaft and the Epic is mid to low kick if I remember right. Totally different shafts.

I finally got my Kwok'd L4V out for a round today. I haven't had time with it since getting the cotton ball treatment to tone down the sound. All I can is WOW...this worked very well. I was a bit concerned that I'd wreck the mojo by deadening it too much impacting the feel or by making the head unreasonably heavy. If the sound is bothersome I highly recommend that you explore this solution. The results are dramatic

Thanks Joe. You exceeded my expectations! :)

Rob, I can't believe you ripped that thing apart! Gosh that is crazy. Have you hit it yet? :)

If you think that is crazy, you should see him ride his motorcycle. This man is the definition of insane. He makes the timid tremble.

Remember the scene in Predator towards the end. The predator is lining up his skulls from all his kills. I envision Robo's got a little row of deceased club heads.

Had to chime in with my initial report. Had the L4V X for about a week and a half. I'd been just hitting a few balls with it, and lent it out to some buddies to test. Stock Diamana Red - S. As expected, this shaft just wasn't for me, balloons. After spending several weeks listening to the reports in this thread, and PM'ing ROBO for recommendations, I finally got the driver back yesterday afternoon.

The reco I thought I was going to end up with was the Diamana WB 83x. But, because I had this 80 X Pype pull sitting around, I figured, while I was waiting for the WB to arrive, I wanted to hit something that should behave similarly. I think the Protopype is close. I pulled the Diamana last night and stuck in the pype.

Me:

SS - ~ 120 mph

HC - +3.5 index

My L4V X:

44.5" D4.5

Aldila Protopype 80 X, tipped .75"

Results:

DOES NOT GO LEFT. No surprise really, after reading what everybody said, but I figured I could put a bad swing on anything. I hit 7/9 fairways with it, and the two misses were really only about 5 yards off the fairway, one left, one right.

Launches very hot and well into the wind (had 20 mph steady, with gusts to 35 mph+), and i hit at least one very well that fle about 270-275 (0 roll because of wet fiarways.

this is my gamer for now, not sure I even want to mess with the WB, this is too good, but I'm a tinkerer, so i'm sure it will go in the bag for now. Ithought the pype might launch too low, but not even close.

Need to get on a LM to see how good the numbers really are. More to come later.

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷  9.0*; Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 TX

TM Stealth+ 15*; Fujikura Ventus Black 7x 
Ping G425 19*; Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX
Srixon ZX7; OBAN CT 125 x
Callaway Jaws, raw - 50/12W; DG X100 TI black 
Vokey SM9, raw - 55/12; DG S400  TI black
Vokey SM9, raw - 60/08; DG S400 TI black
SC Phantom 5.5

Hey guys. I've decided it's time for me to part ways with the Kool Aid Brigade. LOL

It's not that I dislike the L4V, it's just that I'm finding my other drivers, the G10 in particular, work just as well if not better for me and I like the Ping's sound a lot better. The funny thing is I might not have even tried the Ping if not for a couple of posts in this thread and a couple of other threads that I think were sparked by this one.

Anyway, for those of you who are loving your L4Vs, go forth and drop bombs. For anyone not a fan of the sound of the L4V, or if you want something a little more traditional looking (though the L4V looks great to my eye), I'd recommend giving the G10 a shot. Another good choice for those that like hitting it long and straight seems to be the 5900.

So Brigade -1, but I still luv y'all! :)

So Brigade -1, but I still luv y'all! ;)

Hey .... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with that statement, I have followed you and some of your other threads - and you did what I think everyone should do - Found out for yourself !!!!! ... ATTA BOY !!!!!! ... I've said it before and I'll say it again - It's not for everyone NOR is any club for anyone ... ALL GOOD !!!

Drop in and say Hi to the Brigade from time to time ;)

Tread .... HOW BOUT THAT :) :cheesy: :) .... Works pretty good huh. I'd still be curious to know how that WB would work for ya - but the pype DEF does the job quiet well :black eye:

Those pictures of the guts of the L4V is amazing - thanks for that robo! now I really do not have to worry about that scratch, my club make was right, that is pure Ti there!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Tread .... HOW BOUT THAT :) :cheesy: :) .... Works pretty good huh. I'd still be curious to know how that WB would work for ya - but the pype DEF does the job quiet well ;)

The WB is still on its way...and I'm sure will get its chance....feel like a need another head though, hate to break up the current marriage...

I'll be on a LM sometime this week. I want to see the numbers of the L4V with the Pype, and my V1 with the Altus XXX. I really think playing the club at 44.5" versus 45" helps find the center of the clubface much more consistently also.

A TP-7 and TP-7x (both XX) should arrive today, and I think the TP-7x will probably be a better match for the V1 than the Altus. You always need a $1200 backup to a $500 gamer... right?

Anybody interested in a XXX Ozik Altus? How about a XX TP-7 (new and uncut)?

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷  9.0*; Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 TX

TM Stealth+ 15*; Fujikura Ventus Black 7x 
Ping G425 19*; Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX
Srixon ZX7; OBAN CT 125 x
Callaway Jaws, raw - 50/12W; DG X100 TI black 
Vokey SM9, raw - 55/12; DG S400  TI black
Vokey SM9, raw - 60/08; DG S400 TI black
SC Phantom 5.5

Drop in and say Hi to the Brigade from time to time :cheesy:

... Even though GWRX is the best forum by far, does anyone else HATE this new format? It makes it impossible to scroll back and look at the last several posts. Very frustrating. :)

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but do you have to click on the links to see each individual post?

If so, go to the original post in this thread (I think it should be at the top of the current page as well). There's a white box that says options, click that and a menu should drop down, go to "Display modes" and click "Display as Standard". I think that is what it says.

... I have no idea how that got switched, but thanks for straightenin it out!!!!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

So Brigade -1, but I still luv y'all! :cheesy:

Hey .... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with that statement, I have followed you and some of your other threads - and you did what I think everyone should do - Found out for yourself !!!!! ... ATTA BOY !!!!!! ... I've said it before and I'll say it again - It's not for everyone NOR is any club for anyone ... ALL GOOD !!!

Drop in and say Hi to the Brigade from time to time :)

Thanks man! Yeah, I think it's very important for people to find out for themselves. It'd be tough to try every driver/shaft combo that might work so we all just do the best we can. I went about it by using demo days, launch monitors (both vector and trackman), range sessions, and on-course sessions. It's funny how looking at the numbers on the LM, the Cobra/WB came out a hair better than the G10/PL Red, when it came time to hit the first tee, the Ping was in the bag. It was just a "feel" thing and no LM can meausre an individual's feel preferences.

So get out there and get those LM stats folks, but try to get on the course too. If nothing else it'll validate what the LM says.

Hmm...should get my 5900 back in about 3 hours!! :)