2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Ok here is the story . I'm very lucky to know many people in the golf buis around here . I took my Black series # 9 that I got for christmas . I added in a old 905 r and my good friend who runs a huge golf chain store , gave me a L4V F speed . So I have one also , just my luck the Titleist/Cobra rep was at the store . The F sits 1 degree closed but is hard to notice . Just like some others have posted I was like why can't I hit the X speed . The rep and my manager friend know my game and swing speed . They stated that unless your always swinging the driver over 102 mph min , your wasting your time and the driver wont react well. All I need is some dry weather and the rest of the snow to melt . From now on we wont mention the 1 degree closed . I have blocked it out of my mind , dont wanna start a hook factory . Thanks again guys for all of the help and I hope this keeps the thread going long enough that Cobra outfits all of us for the great promo .

So . . . Golf Magazine classifies this as a Max Game Improvement Driver. Thoughts?

As well, if the new Cobra offerings are so good, why are the pros still using the Pro D (Ogilivy, Poulter) and the Comp (Holmes)?

Well it's so easy to hit it'd have to be there. Cobra has also maxed out everything, MOI etc that wreaks of max GI. Of course anyone can use it. The TP Burner is classed as Tour yet i find it could easily fit in GI or even MGI.

That's exactly the great thing about this club. You take a game improvement club which has; maximum forgiveness, draw bias, and enough spin to keep the ball in the air for golfers that need this, let's say an L4V M, and you take away the draw bias and the high spin by putting a premier shaft in an L4V X and what do you have left? A low spin, neutral biased, workable cannon with all of the forgiveness still in it.

Finally, after a month of waiting, my LV4 with a V2 arrived. I got a chance to hit the F in a 10* reg stock earlier this week, and what amazed me the most were the spin numbers. Previously, using Titleist or Taylormade, my numbers had been around 3000-3400 RPMS....whereas the stock F gave me around 2600-2800 RPMS. Can't wait to see what this thing does with the V2, it sets up just perfect to my eye, hopefully I get the chance to hit the range tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm not really sure why people keep saying the 10* F sits closed; mine is at least 1* open. After all of this time now I still haven't hit a driver that remotely comes close. Next up; Sumo2 Tour and Cally FT-5T. If these two can't compete then this is clearly the best driver EVER produced in my mind. Everyone can have there own feelings but I have so much confidence with this combo (L4V/Protopype) that it's simply a monster fairway finder. Call it game improvement; open/closed; low spin/high spin; heavy; loud or whatever but I call it my money maker baby! L E G I T

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I'm not really sure why people keep saying the 10* F sits closed; mine is at least 1* open.

Had some time to kill tonight, so I wandered into the local GolfTown here. Looked at each of the 3 models they had in stock (in particular the F, and M versions in the higher lofts).

Findings: COULDN'T FIND ONE THAT SAT CLOSED!!! They all either looked dead square, to slightly open. Must just be a misconseption of the uninformed? My X is 1* open, if not even a touch more.

I just think it's one thing to look at it visually and it's another to use a tool to measure the head. in my eyes, my pype 9* F is dead square, end of story. i can compare it to my X460 and the X460 looks like it's 4 degree closed. Just enjoy the club guys and always know the F is not even as closed as the Callaways or the other OEM drivers out there, unless it's a "tour" edition blah blah blah...

Hey SMP..how's the driver man...you played it on the snow yet? :russian_roulette:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

The F's at Golftown here are closed. Like some 2-3* :russian_roulette: I REALLY want to at least look at an X, preferably hit it, before I buy.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Got out and played my X with the whiteboard S 63 in it. My drive Dispersion is so much tighter now and can hit a number of different drives with it. Into the light breeze today it just hammered through it when i teed it down a little. STruggling to get right to left ball flight with it but my natural flight is right to left anyways. Have found that it flies better when i loosen the wrists and hands up a little and let fly with it. Drove a 310 meter par 4 today and rolled in a nice eagle putt which has this thing SOLD and in my bag as my gamer. Cheers to ROBO on helping me out with which shaft to bang in this and at what length.

Go the L4v and go Ogilvy and Scott in the Masters for rounds 3 and 4. Also think JB Holmes should drink the KOOLAID and hit 400 yard tee shots.

played a full 18 today with my 9 degree x with a rombax z7. Ive never had a driver that wanted to fly so straight before. Put it this way I shot 8 over and dropped 6 shots on the par threes.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

played a full 18 today with my 9 degree x with a rombax z7. Ive never had a driver that wanted to fly so straight before. Put it this way I shot 8 over and dropped 6 shots on the par threes.

How did you find the Z Rombax for launch and spin? This is a very new and interesting shaft from Fuji. Personally i think it is their marketing answer to the Whiteboard.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

How high are you guys teeing it up?

I took my newly acquired and shafted to a 64o Graman L4V F to the course today. I'm spinning it quite a bit. Similar problems that I had with the Pro S. This seems to be a bit better than the Pro S. I like to tee it high.

BTW my F sits square and may even have a bit of fade bias as well? I hit a couple of good swings but went right.

How high are you guys teeing it up?

I took my newly acquired and shafted to a 64o Graman L4V F to the course today. I'm spinning it quite a bit. Similar problems that I had with the Pro S. This seems to be a bit better than the Pro S. I like to tee it high.

BTW my F sits square and may even have a bit of fade bias as well? I hit a couple of good swings but went right.

Finally took mine out today on my home course, all i can say it RIPS .......... Put a touch of fade on each drive , and i was bombing it ...... 290M+ today , i have the F and id say its almost a closed head , it sits to me nice and square , i have the redboard shaft and im most pleased with it.

i have the 10 degree loft , and altho she climbs well into the wind , you still get ,miles of carry , im very very very impressed.............so impressed , i bought 2 of them at once just so i have a spare.

i tee mine up about and inch and quarter .......

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Hey SMP..how's the driver man...you played it on the snow yet? :russian_roulette:

LOL...yeah I played this past Tuesday...no snow, 64 degrees. Only a handful of courses (Sawmill GC included) that are not open here yet SwingBlues...it sure was nice to finally tee it up though. The L4VX is a fairway finder. I missed a couple fairways at the start of my round...only 'cause I've been so used to setting up for a small draw. The L4V simply went straight, and I ended up...just into the right rough. I hit the L4V, 10 times...and was 6/10 for fairways hit. The other 2 times, I ended up going straight through the fairway on a couple holes that doglegged. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the L4VX/PYPE combo. I'll post a lengthier review in a few weeks...I want to get some rounds in with it at my home course.

LaTeR...pHiL. trink22.giftrink22.giftrink22.gif

Sweet jesus....I drank the Koolaid for the first time on course today and it did not disappoint!!! I only played 9 holes in 30km hour wind, rain and 6 degree temperatures here on London Ontario and hit 5 out of 5 fairways with this thing playing 2 balls off the tee. At first I was hitting it a bit low with the VS Proto 65-X but I quickly realized I was taking about a 60% pass at the ball. Cranked it up and was incredibly impressed with the trajectory, feel and dispersion. This driver is the real deal!!!

I've gotten in two rounds now with my X/PL Red combination. The shaft did help in bringing the trajectory down and the dispersion is tighter for sure. I didn't really see any distance increase from the stock shaft, but it has done nothing but rain since I had it reshafted and the fairways are soft. With the lower trajectory and dry fairways, it should be interesting this summer. I leave tomorrow for Florida so my rounds for the next month will be on unfamiliar courses. Like some, I struggle at times getting it to turn the ball over, I may be tempted to pick up and F at some point if I can't get just a little more consistent with this one.

Dang, you guys are making me want to try this thing, lmao.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

anyone have a spec on the lie angle?

thanks

http://www.cobragolf.com/drivers/specs.asp

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Hey SMP..how's the driver man...you played it on the snow yet? :good:

LOL...yeah I played this past Tuesday...no snow, 64 degrees. Only a handful of courses (Sawmill GC included) that are not open here yet SwingBlues...it sure was nice to finally tee it up though. The L4VX is a fairway finder. I missed a couple fairways at the start of my round...only 'cause I've been so used to setting up for a small draw. The L4V simply went straight, and I ended up...just into the right rough. I hit the L4V, 10 times...and was 6/10 for fairways hit. The other 2 times, I ended up going straight through the fairway on a couple holes that doglegged. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the L4VX/PYPE combo. I'll post a lengthier review in a few weeks...I want to get some rounds in with it at my home course.

LaTeR...pHiL. trink22.giftrink22.giftrink22.gif

lol, i missed this post - i was replying to your PM from Mammoth on a dial-up where things aren't quite as fast my cable at home (like now)...great start to the season smp, nice to see you finally hit some balls on a course. You'll have to work read hard to draw that X head. My F is a touch'n'go with the draw or fade, depends on the breakfast I had and how many beers before the first l4v swing.

It's been wildly "summery" here even at Mammoth Mtn, like 50-60s and like 70s-80s in the LA region. Everyone at Mammoth was saying they are having unusually hot weather this week for April. Looking forward to this Tuesday cause it's the bday and I am teeing it up with my pro and some great golfing buddies at Angeles National GC. I heard it's a tight one but I'll soon find out...my L4V is all polished up and I need to work on my irons tomorrow...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Had my first full round yesterday with my X and whiteboard combo and equalled my best score with a 77. I feel as though i can step up and smash it with the whiteboard in it. Did not middle every fairway but was never in trouble off the tee. I can see this being the start of me hitting single digits on my handicap. Scull the KOOLAID woooooo

Very long and straight.

Tried every driver again this season and liked the Titleist D2 (like the solid feel of this club), Ping G10 and Cobra most.

That said the longest clubs I have ever hit by far are the L4v and the G10. I have them both with the Pype 70x (originally tried the L4V with the Pype 60X and while maybe a bit longer, I like the feel of the heavier shaft weight). Both state 9.0 as loft, but the Cobra is actually 9.9 degrees according to my fitter.

I still want to try the whiteboard 73x in the L4V.

I have seen some 8.0 heads in the hands of people I know who are on tour.

Does anyone know of if this 8.0 can be gotten directly from Cobra as a regular retail customer?

Interesting to hear everybody in this thread is hitting this 300 yards! :good:

But I am on the way to buying one.... and will it hit 350 :blink:

And they mean everyone. :D Even I, Mr 240yds average has hit one 300y but under the following conditions

- severe downhill hole

- 2400m above sea level

Exactly 300y drive, according to the yardage book. ;p

:blink:

I'm hearing that if you send it in to a club tech who knows his stuff . He can stuff cotton balls in the head and turn it into a bigger monster . Is this true ? The Titleist/Cobra rep here in Montreal confirmed the 1 degree closed on the F head .

All that would accomplish would be to deaden the sound, and would likely make the head slightly heavier. These are already a very heavy head, so I doubt you'd want to add even more weight to it. You'd have to play it at a very short length or backweight the shaft to get it to swingweight somewhat normally. If that isn't a problem, some rat glue in the head would probably be the way to go to deaden the sound. This thing IS very loud.

I think I've read every post in this thread but haven't seen anyone chime in with swingweight results with different shaft weights. Assuming 45" driver, are the mid 60 gram shafts swingweighting out at D4/5 and mid 70 gram shafts swingweighting out at D6/7. I'm clueless...can someone chime in with swingweight general info?!?

Cobra LTDX 9* Ventus Blue 6X
Cobra LTDX LS 16.5* Ventus Black 8X
Cobra Tour 4-PW PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX6 50*/54*/58* PX 6.5
Ping PLD Anser D

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

I'm hearing that if you send it in to a club tech who knows his stuff . He can stuff cotton balls in the head and turn it into a bigger monster . Is this true ? The Titleist/Cobra rep here in Montreal confirmed the 1 degree closed on the F head .

All that would accomplish would be to deaden the sound, and would likely make the head slightly heavier. These are already a very heavy head, so I doubt you'd want to add even more weight to it. You'd have to play it at a very short length or backweight the shaft to get it to swingweight somewhat normally. If that isn't a problem, some rat glue in the head would probably be the way to go to deaden the sound. This thing IS very loud.

Guys I just do not understand how you can cope with the sound. Everytime I see someone on the course with one of these things or the nike square headed job I just think to myself what a moron. No matter how good they are. It is DEAFININGLY loud. I would much prefer to give up the 10 yards and save my ears as well as everyone within a mile radius of me. There is a reason you do not see or I should say hear any pros drivers sound like this. They would be laughed off the course.