Putting —— flat lead wrist vs not.

bladehunter

I’m currently working on my putting identity if you will. And it was pointed out to me that I setup with shaft directly vertical ( neutral ) and a bowed left wrist. It was suggested that I adjust this to a flat left wrist , to deloft the putter some at impact etc. Well , this feels extremely foreign to me , and in fact is physically hard to do , not painful , just feels like a 6-8 inch forward press and very very forced. Not comfortable.

** Also as a side note **this maybe why when I’ve tried Armlock grips I have never been able to get a setup that I can even try. I can’t physically figure Armlock out.

So back to the question. I am a big visual learner , so I tend to look at what good players do. To my eye Rickie Fowler and Tiger to a degree , do not have flat leading wrists. I use those two as examples because they use the same grip , style stroke , putter style etc as me. So is there a right/wrong scenario on this ? Or is it personal preference?

It was told to me that it a vertical shaft and bent wrist causes added loft at impact and therefore bottom strike on the putter and inconsistent distance control. I can see this , but.... I wonder if it isn’t just a matter of ball placement etc to tune that out ?

I plan to try to get video of myself later today. Posting it here maybe a challenge. I don’t know.

Appreciate any thoughts from the technically versed crowd on the abstract idea of flat wrist vs not in the meantime.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think it's most important to not let the left wrist break down/move significantly during the stroke, not that it be straight. It's just that some folks find it easier to keep the wrist from breaking down if it's straight to start with and to maintain that feel throughout the stroke. I'm not one of those people. I use a pretty traditional grip on a SuperStroke 1.0, and I set up with curve to my left wrist. When I'm putting well, that amount of curve doesn't change during the stroke.

> @KMeloney said:

> I think it's most important to not let the left wrist break down/move significantly during the stroke, not that it be straight. It's just that some folks find it easier to keep the wrist from breaking down if it's straight to start with and to maintain that feel throughout the stroke. I'm not one of those people. I use a pretty traditional grip on a SuperStroke 1.0, and I set up with curve to my left wrist. When I'm putting well, that amount of curve doesn't change during the stroke.

Yep. This is my thinking too . My lead wrist stays as is through the stroke. , there is no flip , if anything a block when my right hand goes passive.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I putt cross handed and have a pretty flat-ish left wrist and I do not forward press. I really try to rock the shoulders.

I feel like being repeatable trumps all here so whatever allows you to be most repeatable is best but keep in mind that making identical strokes repeatedly is not really realistic. So don't beat yourself up.

Rickie does have the bowed left wrist but he also has a hair of release/wrist breakdown in his stroke. It's real flowy and wonderful.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW - KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Taylormade Spider Tour X Double Bend

Blade -- Check out some vids of Snedeker putting. He makes a ton of putts with his pop-stroke. He's got some curve in the left wrist, and you might even say he adds some during the stroke in order to pop it like he does. It seems that his (and maybe all others') main concern is repeating the stroke such that he knows where the face will be at impact.

> @Judge440 said:

> I putt cross handed and have a pretty flat-ish left wrist and I do not forward press. I really try to rock the shoulders.

> I feel like being repeatable trumps all here so whatever allows you to be most repeatable is best but keep in mind that making identical strokes repeatedly is not really realistic. So don't beat yourself up.

> Rickie does have the bowed left wrist but he also has a hair of release/wrist breakdown in his stroke. It's real flowy and wonderful.

That’s an interesting point too. I putted for a year left hand low. And with that I have a very flat left wrist , that feels natural to me. But I’m a believer that left hand low is to lock the left wrist and push with the top ( right for me ) hand. I’ve putted very well with ( as in lights out ) that stroke in spurts.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @KMeloney said:

> Blade -- Check out some vids of Snedeker putting. He makes a ton of putts with his pop-stroke. He's got some curve in the left wrist, and you might even say he adds some during the stroke in order to pop it like he does. It seems that his (and maybe all others') main concern is repeating the stroke such that he knows where the face will be at impact.

Will do. I’ve putted well at times with a shorter putter (33.5) and a pop type stroke.

I’m searching in a way. And also blessed /cursed with being able to mimic Almost anything. Putting is my last club to try to master.

I’m searching for what is natural for me , and yields consistency , so I can then put in the time to groove it.

Recent Occurrences hAve been a trackman fitting that confirmed that my left eye dominance was causing me to line up 5-7 degrees left almost every time. Brief stint with a center shaft putter has taught me where to aim. Back on trackman I’ve achieved great results in proper alignment. Still seeing inconsistencies in speed and horrible results in 3 putt avoidance , and putts made. Translation is I gave another Tournament away this weekend 3 putting on the first day while striking it better than anyone in the field. So I’m going to figure out my path to being a good putter. I’ve tried wishing , hoping , patience , and positive thinking. None make putts.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@bladehunter i use LHL - and actually practice 3'ers where i use my lead hand with a stable left wrist and make a stroke. i then go to practice strokes using my right hand only, keepin my right wrist firm but, bent in it's natural position for my grip. lastly, i go to the full grip and focus on maintaining the left, stable wrist during the full stroke.

that sounds convoluted now that i write that.

*i use a 365g putter, 35.5" long, 73* lie, 3* loft and have a slight arc.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Anybody know the best way to upload a video ? > @Etzwane said:

> I'd say that a putter only has 3-5 degrees of loft, you don't want to deloft it.

>

True. More accurately is to not add loft at impact. I guess return to 0 if that makes sense.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @andrue said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > I never think about my left wrist. When practicing I do think about keeping my right wrist stable throughout the stroke. When playing I just think about rolling the ball in the cup.

> >

> > Steve

>

> Take putter out of bag, get aligned, swing putter, put it back in bag.

> @andrue said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > I never think about my left wrist. When practicing I do think about keeping my right wrist stable throughout the stroke. When playing I just think about rolling the ball in the cup.

> >

> > Steve

>

> Take putter out of bag, get aligned, swing putter, put it back in bag.

Lol. That’s what I do now. Sometimes 3/4 times.

I’m just trying to decide how much of it is between my ears and how much is technical flaw.

I suspect it’s mostly between my ears. But an unsolicited comment during a round last night , by a teaching pro that doesn’t know me is what prompted this line of question. He knew nothing of my putting woes. But for some reason posted this out.

I’m not one to take anybodies ideas as gospel. But I do parse a lot of thoughts and put the small bits together to make my own opinion. So I value comments. Just don’t blindly follow them. Make sense ? Sort of ? Lol

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @andrue said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > I never think about my left wrist. When practicing I do think about keeping my right wrist stable throughout the stroke. When playing I just think about rolling the ball in the cup.

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

> > Take putter out of bag, get aligned, swing putter, put it back in bag.

>

> > @andrue said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > I never think about my left wrist. When practicing I do think about keeping my right wrist stable throughout the stroke. When playing I just think about rolling the ball in the cup.

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

> > Take putter out of bag, get aligned, swing putter, put it back in bag.

>

>

> Lol. That’s what I do now. Sometimes 3/4 times.

>

> I’m just trying to decide how much of it is between my ears and how much is technical flaw.

>

> I suspect it’s mostly between my ears. But an unsolicited comment during a round last night , by a teaching pro that doesn’t know me is what prompted this line of question. He knew nothing of my putting woes. But for some reason posted this out.

>

> I’m not one to take anybodies ideas as gospel. But I do parse a lot of thoughts and put the small bits together to make my own opinion. So I value comments. Just don’t blindly follow them. Make sense ? Sort of ? Lol

lol blade - been along your putting journey since the amateur tournament thread;

i think the best thing you can do is find a putting stroke that is comfortable to you, an alignment regimen that sets you up on your comfortable stroke line, and lastly a putter that works for that setup/regimen.

take the variables out and get on a 'plan' with one putter and one routine - it will give you confidence in saying to yourself "well, i lined up the right way (for me), i put the best stroke i could on it, and i have a putter that is fit for me --- guess i just have to get my line/read right".

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Judge440 said:

> > I putt cross handed and have a pretty flat-ish left wrist and I do not forward press. I really try to rock the shoulders.

> > I feel like being repeatable trumps all here so whatever allows you to be most repeatable is best but keep in mind that making identical strokes repeatedly is not really realistic. So don't beat yourself up.

> > Rickie does have the bowed left wrist but he also has a hair of release/wrist breakdown in his stroke. It's real flowy and wonderful.

>

> That’s an interesting point too. I putted for a year left hand low. And with that I have a very flat left wrist , that feels natural to me. But I’m a believer that left hand low is to lock the left wrist and push with the top ( right for me ) hand. I’ve putted very well with ( as in lights out ) that stroke in spurts.

I would say I was a horrible putter until I went left hand low.

For me I just try to keep my grip pressure light so the shoulders get more activated. I find I putt better with the toe down slightly. My only thought is light grip pressure. If I had to pick a dominant hand I would say it's the left for me.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW - KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Taylormade Spider Tour X Double Bend

I set up to the putter with the shaft very upright which makes my left wrist fairly flat and then keep the shaft pretty much straight up and down. This makes it feel like a straight back and through stroke with the lead wrist always accelerating to my spot. My putting stroke has been the most consistent part of my game for the last 7 years or so. If I’m not putting well it’s because I haven’t adjusted to the speed of the greens or I’m reading them poorly.

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @andrue said:

> > > > @juststeve said:

> > > > I never think about my left wrist. When practicing I do think about keeping my right wrist stable throughout the stroke. When playing I just think about rolling the ball in the cup.

> > > >

> > > > Steve

> > >

> > > Take putter out of bag, get aligned, swing putter, put it back in bag.

> >

> > > @andrue said:

> > > > @juststeve said:

> > > > I never think about my left wrist. When practicing I do think about keeping my right wrist stable throughout the stroke. When playing I just think about rolling the ball in the cup.

> > > >

> > > > Steve

> > >

> > > Take putter out of bag, get aligned, swing putter, put it back in bag.

> >

> >

> > Lol. That’s what I do now. Sometimes 3/4 times.

> >

> > I’m just trying to decide how much of it is between my ears and how much is technical flaw.

> >

> > I suspect it’s mostly between my ears. But an unsolicited comment during a round last night , by a teaching pro that doesn’t know me is what prompted this line of question. He knew nothing of my putting woes. But for some reason posted this out.

> >

> > I’m not one to take anybodies ideas as gospel. But I do parse a lot of thoughts and put the small bits together to make my own opinion. So I value comments. Just don’t blindly follow them. Make sense ? Sort of ? Lol

>

> lol blade - been along your putting journey since the amateur tournament thread;

>

> i think the best thing you can do is find a putting stroke that is comfortable to you, an alignment regimen that sets you up on your comfortable stroke line, and lastly a putter that works for that setup/regimen.

>

> take the variables out and get on a 'plan' with one putter and one routine - it will give you confidence in saying to yourself "well, i lined up the right way (for me), i put the best stroke i could on it, and i have a putter that is fit for me --- guess i just have to get my line/read right".

I hear ya. And that’s what I’m trying to do. Again. I’ve spent over a year while only owning 2 putters. Wasn’t until recently that I went back to putter roulette.

It if I’m honest what I hear when I talk about these things is that “ putting is more personal feel than technical correct/incorrect”. And most importantly and most frustrating “ some people naturally make putts and some don’t “. That’s what i hear when I hear how someone doesn’t know or worry about setup and yet are good putters. And i truly believe that. I see it. Some ugly strokes out there that I see make tons of putts.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BH ( @bladehunter ), are you having more issues with stroke or read? Most of the time folks grind and grind on stroke when maybe the issue is bad reads. Just keep in mind that reading line/speed is really as important as stroke. IMO, green reading is far harder than stroking a putt solidly, but that seems to be my special windmill to tilt at. You know all this already, but just dropping a post in this thread as a reminder. Good luck as always.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> BH ( @bladehunter ), are you having more issues with stroke or read? Most of the time folks grind and grind on stroke when maybe the issue is bad reads. Just keep in mind that reading line/speed is really as important as stroke. IMO, green reading is far harder than stroking a putt solidly, but that seems to be my special windmill to tilt at. You know all this already, but just dropping a post in this thread as a reminder. Good luck as always.

Yes ma’am , and I appreciate your thoughts more than most.

My personal opinion is that reading and consistent speed is the issue. I don’t feel like I have any issue hitting the ball solidly. In fact I can do that with 4-5 different setups , grips and strokes. Hell. I putt just as well left handed. ( serious ).

I’m just clamoring for a sniff of confidence to latch onto. And I just cannot find it.

I’ve been down this road with driver. I played for 2 years and barely hit one in competition. And I made my mind up to fix it and I did. Which included a setup change where I hover the driver. I tee it high and hover it. And it’s legitimately an accurate weapon now. Zero fear. I’ll hit it anywhere. For me. I need to see something happen positive to gain confidence. I can’t run around telling myself “ you’re a great putter “ while 3 jacking 6 times to shoot 80. Myself knows I’m lying. Lol. 1-2 bad greens I can flush during a round. When it gets to 6 you can barely feel your hands.

Back to the green reading. I have no issue telling you which way it will break. I have no problem reading a huge breaking putt from 20-30 ft. I scare the hole with those more than from 6ft. Those are feel putts. It’s the subtle breaks or the dead straight ones I can’t see. I always looks for break. I expect it to snap one way or another. Which I’m sure is a product of the grainy Bermuda I learned on.

And speed. I tend to suffer on slow greens. Always either ramming it by or coming up wayyy short.

I have a face on video if someone knows how to post it. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it to my eye.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > BH ( @bladehunter ), are you having more issues with stroke or read? Most of the time folks grind and grind on stroke when maybe the issue is bad reads. Just keep in mind that reading line/speed is really as important as stroke. IMO, green reading is far harder than stroking a putt solidly, but that seems to be my special windmill to tilt at. You know all this already, but just dropping a post in this thread as a reminder. Good luck as always.

>

> Yes ma’am , and I appreciate your thoughts more than most.

>

> My personal opinion is that reading and consistent speed is the issue. I don’t feel like I have any issue hitting the ball solidly. In fact I can do that with 4-5 different setups , grips and strokes. ****. I putt just as well left handed. ( serious ).

>

> I’m just clamoring for a sniff of confidence to latch onto. And I just cannot find it.

>

> I’ve been down this road with driver. I played for 2 years and barely hit one in competition. And I made my mind up to fix it and I did. Which included a setup change where I hover the driver. I tee it high and hover it. And it’s legitimately an accurate weapon now. Zero fear. I’ll hit it anywhere. For me. I need to see something happen positive to gain confidence. I can’t run around telling myself “ you’re a great putter “ while 3 jacking 6 times to shoot 80. Myself knows I’m lying. Lol. 1-2 bad greens I can flush during a round. When it gets to 6 you can barely feel your hands.

>

> Back to the green reading. I have no issue telling you which way it will break. I have no problem reading a huge breaking putt from 20-30 ft. I scare the hole with those more than from 6ft. Those are feel putts. It’s the subtle breaks or the dead straight ones I can’t see. I always looks for break. I expect it to snap one way or another. Which I’m sure is a product of the grainy Bermuda I learned on.

>

> And speed. I tend to suffer on slow greens. Always either ramming it by or coming up wayyy short.

>

> I have a face on video if someone knows how to post it. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it to my eye.

Yep. Same here. I regularly leave a wasteland of burning cups from all the scorched edges.

My brother is the same way, so bad he at one point was almost legally blind in his right eye, he can't read a green worth a darn. Been trying to get him to try aimpoint express because of it.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> My brother is the same way, so bad he at one point was almost legally blind in his right eye, he can't read a green worth a darn. Been trying to get him to try aimpoint express because of it.

My sight isn’t bad in my right eye. But. It’s been weak since I was a kid. I ran into a tree limb and stuck it in the right eye on a dirt bike. No doctor visit afterwards. So it’s just never been spot on since.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Blade -- One more thing that I've observed with all of the best putters at my club (and that I see on the Faxon vid above, and with most all good putters): They all keep the putter very low to the ground going back.

The difference in contact on the face is night and day when I realize I lifted the putter head too much going back previously vs when I correct my stroke and keep it going back low. I don't know the physics behind it, but maybe that little bit of concentration in doing that also keeps the face angle from changing. That, and like was mentioned in the Faxon vid, it would seem that starting from a low point would allow that little bit of "up" through the ball that gets the ball rolling correctly. No matter the "why," the ball comes off the face solidly and like it should, which makes distance control a no-brainer.

Just something else to consider looking into in your technique, maybe.

> @jut111 said:

> Ever thought about putting lefty?

Yes. Spent an hour doing it yesterday. It’s amazing to see what the rest of you people see when over a putt. It almost makes me sick. You can see the line where you intend to hit it etc. but. Of course speed and stroke aren’t as ingrained. I

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Buzzkill said:

> I use to putt forward press, flat left wrist for 40 years. I now putt with my left wrist cupped which I picked up from Zach Johnson and my putting has never been better.

Yep. I’ve been looking at video and talking this over all evening with someone who knows , and I’m beginning to see that I’m not that far off stroke wise , and a lack of flat lead wrist isn’t an issue at all. My issue is still inconsistent release. Causing a push most times and occasional pull.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock