Maltby DBM vs Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black

SullyForged

I have it narrowed down to these two sets.

I currently play a 20-year old split set, Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i-6i and Golfsmith Professional Grind Blades 7i-PW built with Dynamic Gold S300. I enjoy my current set, but don't love the offset in the short irons nor the high gloss chrome finish. Plus, it's been 20 years and I'm ready for something new. I've hit a handful of diverse clubs at the local store (MP-20s, 620 MBs, P790s, Ping i210, and others). Tried a few shafts and the heavier Dynamic Gold was the clear winner each time. I didn't see and feel anything spectacular out of those listed above to consider over the Maltby DBM or Hogans.

My fear with the Maltby's is that I will miss the blades. How workable are they compared to Ft. Worths or what I game now? I'd like to play a short set often and want to be able to work high cuts, knock-downs, three-quarters, etc. There's also the tradition and emotions that come with playing blades. My fear with the Ft. Worths is giving up some potential point and shoot with the Maltby's. I've never felt my current clubs are too much for me to handle, but don't want to leave strokes on the course. Also - turf interaction. The Maltby's appear to have a similar sole profile (perhaps a bit wider) than my current gamers, which are thin and lower bounce. The Hogans obviously have the V-sole.

Any insights? If there isn't much difference, I'll game the Maltby's at half the cost.

Me: 37 years old, generally shoot high 70s and low 80s on 2-3 rounds a year and 6-10 range sessions. Investing more time this year to reconnect with the sport. Desperately miss it. I hit my 7 iron about 165 years and would consider my strength to be long irons and course management (lots of irons off tees).

Thanks!

The Maltby DBM forged are NOT the ones to get if you are wanting to work the ball. The DBM/TE are the highest flying heads they have IMO. You need to look at the MMB-17s or TS-1s.

But if you are looking for a black finish, Maltby doesn't have a black blade right now. They did a run of black MMB-17s a couple of years back.

Agree with Sparky14, two totally different designs. DMB will be very forgiving due to the cavity and low center of gravity. Will be workable, but not like a blade. Does have a blade like appearance at address, minimal offset, thin top line, and the cavity is reasonably hidden. The Hogan’s are a pure blade. Possibly forgiving for a blade, but still a blade.

ive played the Maltby and they’re an excellent club when paired with a shaft that fits you. Would play them again, if I wasn’t always looking for something new. Guy I play with has the Hogan’s, although chrome. Beautiful club and he likes them a lot. Can’t go wrong with either.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

• 2 months later...
@blarkin97. May wish to peruse through the 32 page Maltby TS2 thread. All the current Maltby heads (TS1 & 2, TE, DBM, PTM, MMB) are discussed at various points. Found it useful for discerning differences and relevant observations by others amongst the heads. The TE (DBM same spec) tended to be very high launchers when I tested a TE 7 iron for a season two years back. Despite trying three different shafts in the head, couldn't tame the trajectory. A full club shorter (only 1* of loft difference) compared to the irons in use at the time. Some have noticed this characteristic, others have not. The head feel was excellent, dispersion was good, but the distance loss proved to be unacceptable. Never tested the PTM. DBM was a non-starter because of needing adjustability beyond the recommended range. Ultimately decided to go with TS1's a year ago. More than satisfied with the performance. As always, YMMV.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

The DBM have been a timeless design for Maltby and small tweaks over the years keeps them in production. The DBM is a sweepers club. It's for a guy who loves a traditional nonl nonsense club and is ok with a small head but a ton of weight down low to launch the ball.

The PTM is a modern design with a bunch of hidden tech. It's a modern day no nonsense club. It will have a lower flatter trajectory all else being equal. Has a much higher COG. A digger can be very happy with these. Two quite different designs.

I'm making up a set of PTMs next month. I have a bunch of 6 iron heads as demos.

• 2 months later...

How's the game and how are the irons?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

This thread makes me want to put the DBM‘s back in the bag...I love mine!

I agree about the high launch and the classification as a sweeper‘s club. I have them paired up with X100‘s and can still hit moon balls. Kinda hard to tame them if you’re a high launch player to begin with, but that’s only an issue in strong winds. You can attack every pin if you know your distances, even a 5i stops after a couple feet.

Turf interaction is great, but they’re low bounce. Offset is constant from 3-P and very minimal. Combined with the blade like look of the top line at address, these are close to perfect- GI tech but player‘s optics.

Distances are reliable but a half club shorter compared to other same loft irons because of the high launch.

They go straighter (read: are less workable) than my MP-15/33, and it helps when my swing is off a little.

They feel a little harder than my Mizzys, but what doesn’t? Played some of my best rounds with the DBM‘s. They look and feel great and are amazingly forgiving on thinned shots and toe strikes.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Living the Dream! My three sons (10, 8, 7) picked up the game this year. We rotate who plays 18 each week and have awesome programs around us. Our local range has a Kids Club. $10 one time, and each kid gets a free bucket of balls every day between Memorial Day and Labor Day. To make it even better, we have a free 9-hole executive course near us. We’ve been playing there a ton.

As a result of the increased frequency and new tools, in playing my best ever golf. Shot a 1-under from the red tees last month (played the same tees as my son), and have been under 80 every round this year (6200-6700 yards).

The DBMs are lights out. I’m playing Driver, 4, 6, 8, PW at 46, 52, 58, Putter. It’s so simple and enjoyable. I have 20-25 yard gaps. I’m shocked how little I’m actually between clubs - and that’s across different courses. When I am in between I take two routes. I look to see if long or short is the better miss and sometimes just full swing. Or, I choke down 0.5-1 inch, narrow my stance and swing. The gaps haven’t held me back at all.

I can’t say enough about the DBMs. I built them with DG S300s with ProSoft inserts. The feel is great and the trajectory is manageable (can hit them high or low). They are forgiving but also workable. And they are beautiful. I love the Minimal offset through the set, the shape of the toe, and the color. The MG wedges are stellar too.

If I had unlimited funds and could buy whatever so wanted, I’d still chose to game these.

Awesome! I can’t get my 7 year old out on the course yet... hoping we can start working on it.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting bag make up. Simplified choices and you certainly get to know your clubs intimately as you are hitting them so much.

Glad they are working so well for you. Im building a set of TEs this week for a customer. This design for Golfworks just keeps selling. Pretty amazing how long of a run they have had.

• 3 years later...