Stack and tilt method and drills.

jdpar3027

I'm glad I found this thread. Read it last night and did the googling, and put a basic version of it into play today and had great results.

The lead leg focus reminds me somewhat of the long driver with the long hair who sort of shuffles lead trail lead on his legs before killing it.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 5:21 AM, sociojeje said:

anyone bought their 2.0 dvd? I am thinking about it as I am trying to make my swing change right. I watched numerous videos on Youtube and read the book many times. What's "new" about 2.0?

I have both, version 1 is more like a clinic, I like the more compact format. 2.0 goes more in depth in some topics, I find that having both is useful but the underlying message is unchanged.

• Like 1

I have tried this method on and off over the years, stack and tilt.  Mostly because it is a method actually more geared toward the mid handicapper (creating the same hitting point/low point of the club arc).  Should be easier in theory than conventional. 

I just can't get consistent with it.  There is something about swinging back loaded up this way that feels to off.  And the pressure on the lead leg/knee I am not a fan of.  

Clearly it's something in my technique that I haven't grasped with it as this is supposed to be easier, but it just feel off to me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiskManagement79 said:

I have tried this method on and off over the years, stack and tilt.  Mostly because it is a method actually more geared toward the mid handicapper (creating the same hitting point/low point of the club arc).  Should be easier in theory than conventional. 

I just can't get consistent with it.  There is something about swinging back loaded up this way that feels to off.  And the pressure on the lead leg/knee I am not a fan of.  

Clearly it's something in my technique that I haven't grasped with it as this is supposed to be easier, but it just feel off to me.  

I think it's a starting point, but you can't go against good sense if the front feels too loaded.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:14 AM, Caddykev said:

LMFAO back. As I stated earlier, I’m no SNT cultist, and All you have to do is go through the forum search on here and Any golf biomechanist group to see why the hard line SNT guys get the hatred from guys like you. However, your ruining argument doesn’t add up statistically.

mike Weir: 8 PGA Tour Wins. 7 before 2004. 05 and 06 by his own admission lost his game. Started working with Andy and Mike in Nov 2006 and wins in 2007. Leaves a few years later lost again, goes back in 2011 still lost. His story isn’t just a SNT ruined story, it’s a pretty normal PGA Tour story. Look at David Duval, Jordan Spieth potentially, the list goes on.

Badds: As an amateur they made him out to be the next Tiger or Norman. Wins Aus Open as an Am, turns pro and wins 2 more times on the Aus PGA by 2001. Gets a tour card and basically became what he is, a journeyman. Wins 3 PGA Tour events under SNT plus 1 Euro event, gets to 20 in the World loses game a bit and goes back to His old coach Lynch and has 1 win since. So 4/8 of his wins were under SNT. The list of 4 time winners in the PGA Tour is pretty long.

Dean Wilson: journeyman that turned pro in 1992, bounced all over the tours. SNT in 2005, only PGA tour win 2006 international.

Eric Axley: similar to Dean Wilson, bounces back and forth between tours only win 2006 Valero under SNT.

Bill Lunde: Was about to quit golf, started working with Mike and Andy, wins at Turning Stone:

Jason Gore: Great guy, but has always been a jouneyman before and after SNT.

TA3: Journeyman and playboy .

Charlie Wi: if he could putt, prob wouldn’t have retired

Most of Mike and Andy’s stable were journeyman, and they talk about their Mac O’Grady influence. They would have done themselves favors by not having such an ego and being so defnsive about their system and trademarking their stuff

I Used to caddie for a guy here in Long Islamd with deep pockets that took lessons from everybody in the top 25. He spent most of it with Butch, even tried GG for a while. His best seasons on his handicap were all under his work with Andy. He did eventually go back but like everyone else including every golfer in the world and PGA Tour he chases it and tries new stuff.

Just for the sake of accuracy, pretty much all of that is on point except Wi.  The only reason Charlie Wi had a Tour career was his putter.  He was never a good ball striker.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

• 4 months later...

I came across youtube videos for SNT teachers out of Singapore (R Cheney & N Taylor at GolfTec Singapore) and am fiddling with idea indoors while waiting for Spring to get her in the great white north USA. They talk about the Grid which I believe is Bennett/Plummer design. Any one use the grid as part of their practice? I have always had contact issues which I equate to center of arc and looking at this swing method as a possible fix. Senior golfer, so I am not looking for distance, I would be happy with more straight.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

13 hours ago, Etzwane said:

The grid is a visual reminder of the swing plane but if you  haven't been through it in a lesson that might be a little too abstract to be useful. The first DVD  Plummer & Bennett made is like a clinic, it would be useful if you don't have an instructor near you.

Thanks. I've understand what the lines represent and the why. Just trying to decide if I'll make a grid on mat and with your answer I will. I tried the Right Side Swing method end of last year, it is a right side stack, but not tilt and not as much arms around body. S/T has feels my mind seems to grasp. Now my senior body needs to accept some new movements. Played indoors at dome with Trackman Range with buddies last night, not a single topped ball, so I think I am starting to get the body to repeat the S/T setup/moves.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

• 2 months later...

I like how folks will say "S&T sucks, look at how many pros it has ruined" then in the same breath say "All of the ideas were stolen from Mac O'Grady (or some other pro/method). 

For the first response.... do you realize how dumb this sounds?  99% of all pros that have every played on tour are not superstars and fall off the radar after a few years of success.  With this logic you could blame every single other teaching method as well saying it costs golfers their career.  Its a fallacy statement.

For the second response.... So if these ideas were stolen from Mac O'Grady and S&T sucks you are telling us Mac O'Grady sucked as well.  Again another fallacy statement. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:56 AM, dachtor said:

Reading the book, watching the video, taking a few lessons changed my golf game for the better. I went from a high single digit hdcp to a scratch player. The game became fun. You can take the principals too far though, as I did, and have spent the last few years undoing a bit of it. I agree on the marketing and reputation comments. If you follow the Stack and Tilt social media groups, it's so contentious there it's really quite sad. I look at other examples of golf instructors on social media like Mike Bender, George Gankas, Andrew Rice, etc and their approach is so different. The S&T crowd spends 99% of their time criticizing what others teach, while the people I named spend 99% of their time helping their followers get better.

What book and video?

Ping 425 Max 10.5*

Titleist  Tis2 15*

Titleist  Tis2 18*

Hybrid Ping 410 22*

Ping I525 5-PW Project X 5.5

Cleveland CBX 50*

Titleist  Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pistol Grip 

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading the stack and tilt book at the moment.  I have found it interesting and pretty well written.  The instruction seems clear and fairly easy to grasp. 

LOL the overall formula of the book is one that I am very familiar with as I have been receiving golf instruction of one form or another for the last 54 years or so.  Typically the formula runs something like this:  Struggling tournament pro takes lessons but just can't succeed.  Pro finds the answer through great struggle and often with help of a mentor of some sort.  Pro is now sharing the secret which is the one correct way to swing with everyone who will buy the book, video or whatever!   Pro might acknowledge that there are other ways to swing but this way is really the right way and everyone else is wrong.  If you follow the simple instruction and work hard enough you will become a real ball striker!

One thing that I found interesting about stack and tilt is that they have pictures of Hogan's swing and claim him as an example.  An interesting contrast is that Jimmy Ballard claims Hogan as a guy who coiled and loaded up his right side.  I have read Jimmy's book several times and have also watched 8 hours of VHS video of Jimmy explaining his theories.  Both Jimmy and the stack and tilt guys have coached successful tour golfers...  Both of their methods work and are pretty much polar opposite of each imho.  LOL it seems to me that the golf instruction business is a hot mess!

One thing that I can say is that I could never play golf at all trying to apply Ballard's instruction while certain aspects of stack and tilt actually seem to help my swing to work a little better...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this back up. Tweak this swing and it is money. Missed one fairway today, got too flat and hit a hook that ran and ran with the hard fairways. Just hitting greens on top of greens. Going to b a blast this year. Added bonus the more comfortable u get with this swing model the more aggressive u can be and get some good distance. Just my 2 cents, although today was a lot more than 2 cents 🙂