2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What was your first set of sticks?

JoeF

My first complete set of clubs was purchased from our pro (in the UP of Michigan) when he changed clubs. I got his old set of Burke Bomber woods and Burke Punchirons, circa 1960. I still have my putter from back then (a brass Bullseye) with loads of lead tape on the back, sold the Burkes decades ago, never saw anything like them since.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember the brand of my first set of clubs, but I remember that they were a Jackie Pung autograph set with Driver, 3 wood, 3-5-7-9 and putter. That was in 1963. Played with them for 3-4 years, then started getting my dad's hand-me-downs. This wasn't bad, though at the time, I didn't appreciate how good the clubs were... they were MacGregor Tourneys. I still have two sets of irons. One set is in pretty good shape, the other is in excellent shape. I also still have a set of MacGregor MT Tourney persimmon woods that are in very good shape. Woods and irons still have the original grips. They look pretty good, but they are a little hard and slippery. I was on the golf team in high school, and the coach gave us Ram 3-D balls for our matches. My buddies hated these balls, preferring Titleist, so I bought all the Ram 3-Ds from them for $.25 each. Had no problem hitting them.

• 3 weeks later...

My Dad bought me a set 3-PW, putter, driver, 3w, 5w and brown bag all from Kmart in 1977. I was 14.

They were Rawlings Lee Trevino model. Cast blades (ouch!)

Anyway, I kept them for years and kept them until I was 25. The straw that broke the camel's back ... the face insert fell out after every driver while playing the Monte Carlo Country Club course in Monte Carlo (of course). I was there while in the Navy. Anyway, I didn't even know how embarassing my clubs were.

Ever since ... I've been a bigtime ClubHo ... I can't remember all the sets I've had, but I certainly remember my first set.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

King Cobra 1,3,5 Woods

King Cobra Oversized Irons 3-SW

Ping Zing II Putter

Being an Aussie, "The Shark" was the reason I took up this gameclapping.gif

Callaway GBB Epic w/- Fujikura 6.2TS X, Callaway BB 816 3W w/- Blueboard 73
Callaway Optiforce 5W w/- Blueboard 83, Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW w/- PXF 6.0
Callaway MD3 52°/56° Callaway PM 60°, Odyssey ProType Tour #2

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Now this is an interest thread - Really shows how the equipment of our beloved game has improved!

My first set was in 1973 - Arnold Palmers irons, Wilson(?) Sam Snead Blue Ridge Woods and a Bulleyes putter. The balls were blue dot spaulding balls. I even got an Amanna Logoed hat from my neighbor - Pro Golfer Mason Rudolph.

3-SW Sam Snead Blue Ridge's and some Titleist persimmon's and a bullseye style putter by ray cooper. Still have em, but the sneeds need restoration. :(

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Kroydon Dave Hill, plaid bag 3,5,7,9 heal shafted putter, driver & 3 wood, years later filled out the irons with 2,4,6,8, PW, the woods were a plastic type material, all the clubs had a cheap golf pride grips, bought them at JJ Newberry store (5 and dime type store) for $29.95, my family knew the manager so he let me buy them on "time" I put $10.00 down, took them home, paid of the balance with the money earned from cutting grass. Funny how you can remember so much from over 40 years ago!!

Ben Cranshaw beginner set. It only had every other iron, no wedges and a putter.

First full set of irons was a set of Wilson Wild Things.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

My first set of clubs were all mizunos. I don't recall which model, but they were a kid's set because I started playing ever since I was 9 or 10. The balls I hit were the old top flite xl balls and later on moved to the stratas.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

my first adult set of clubs were Walter Hagen irons and woods. I just loved to look at the shine on the woods.

My bag

driver Callaway Paradym 12deg with LA Golf Bryson sig series 55 S shaft

5 wood TM stealth

7 wood Callaway Paradym 

5-9 iron PXG series 5 0311P KBS stiff 120

wedge Vokey 46 SM8

GW Vokey 51 SM8

56 deg and 60 deg PXG 13 deg

putter SC Phantom 5.5

Another set I wished I still owned.

Wilson Staff Cary Middlecoff blades, leather flat sided grips. Learned to hit the ball solid with those or pay for it...not a bad teaching aid.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1271399423' post='2382770']
My Dad bought me a set 3-PW, putter, driver, 3w, 5w and brown bag all from Kmart in 1977. I was 14.

They were Rawlings Lee Trevino model. Cast blades (ouch!)

Anyway, I kept them for years and kept them until I was 25. The straw that broke the camel's back ... the face insert fell out after every driver while playing the Monte Carlo Country Club course in Monte Carlo (of course). I was there while in the Navy. Anyway, I didn't even know how embarassing my clubs were.

Ever since ... I've been a bigtime ClubHo ... I can't remember all the sets I've had, but I certainly remember my first set.
[/quote] Hey, I had a set of those also. I think before that a woman's starter set, because I was 11 at the time. Then thought the Trevino's were really cool, except they were "Faultless" brand. Don't know what happened to them or how long I used them. Could not have been long because by the time I was in High School I was playing a set of 1964 Macgregor Tommy Armour 985 blades. I also remember in that time working all summer at a par 3 golf course at $1.75 an hour to buy a set of Lynx USA's. I got the shanks in a high school tournement and unloaded them and went back to the Macgregors. I think I used them up until the late 1980's when I bought a set of Muirfield 20th Anniversary clubs. Woods were Macgregors woods. ALWAYS until the days of metal. The first Macgregor was a Mac TA 945 Super-eye-o-matic that I got when I was about 13 (I traded a broken ball scooper for it). I also I remember where I got the Armour woods I played a lot. I was on the Freshman basketball team, I couldn't stand the coach (he never played me, only the kids that were in his FFA group). . Somehow we were talking golf and I asked him what clubs he had. He said "Tommy Armour or some Sch#@t". I remember my heart pumpiing out of my chest, when I asked him if he wanted to swap for some Wilson Staff's that I had acquired. As I retell this story I realize that even at 14 I was a total club jockey. The clubs I got from the B coach were 1961 Tommy Armour's. I still have them.

• 4 weeks later...

My first set I purchased when I was 18 from a pawn shop in 1990, a set of used spalding cavity back irons. I learned with those for a few years, and then purchased my first set of players clubs from a friend, 1990 Wilson staff gooseneck blades 1 iron thru sw. I used those for 8 years and then bought a set of mizuno mp33 in 2000, and have used those ever since. I am considering picking up the mizuno mp68 now.

Although I am recent convert to the grand game in a serious way, I have owned a set of clubs for about 25 years. I bought these from a bowling buddy who had upgraded his equipment. I still have these clubs stuck away in a corner of a tool shed -- Spalding Executive woods - 1, 3, 5 and Brunswick Dictator irons - 3-PW in BeCu. They need a bit of restoration work, but they are still in playable condition.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Northwestern 1,3,5 woods and 3,5,7,9,PW in the irons, and a Bullseye putter that were cut down by my grandpa with a hacksaw and built up with tape until the grips would fit. At least my first set had new Golf Pride grips....all in a half worn out blue & white leather Jones bag that had "JEFF" embroidered into it.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

My dad's cane.
Then a left handed set of hickory shafted blades of some sort.
Then a "Walter Hagen" right handed, plastic covered steel shaft set of blades with names like Niblick, Mashie, Spade Mashie etc.
The "blades" were hunks of steel with no shape on the back side (i.e. flat as a pancake). They had a sweetspot somewhere I could not find.
The putter I use today is a Ping 1-A, similar to one I tried at a department store's sports department back in the mid 60's as a kid. I liked it then and it works great today.

First set was a set of Wilson Sam Snead Beginners set. 3-5-7-9-D-3wd. putter and plaid bag. Very stylish with matching headcovers. I still thank my dad for taking the care to buy me a decent starter set. After those he gave me his Walter Hagen blades with aluminum shafts, man were those tough to hit. I have been a blade man ever since.

My first set was a whole set of Wilson Air Power. The driver and 3 wood were unhittable but the rest was fine. That set was just for deciding if I liked the game that much. Fair to say I did :) . My first real set after I knew I loved the game og golf was: Ping G2 irons, RAM 3 wood and a Ping G2 driver. I'm not too young to be on here but I am a late starter :)

Cleveland Classic XL custom JDL 6
TM SLDR S 15° Fujikura Speeder 65
Cleveland Classic 18° hybrid Matrix OZIK
W/S Fybrid RS 21+24 UST/MAMIYA
W/S Ci7 5 - GW TX-105 steel shafts
Cleveland CG10 56° Mizuno MP-T10 60°
WITB Link

My first clubs were an old set of Walter Hagen irons, 3 to 8, with tan Pyratone shafts, 1-2-3 Wilson Dutch Harrison woods and a knock-off bullseye putter. fortunately, about a year or so later, my dad got new MacGregor DX tourney F/C 4000 irons and he gave me his old copper faced Tourney M-75s. Seems like all I could do with the wedge was shank it! That was really a Bummer, because I was really so about having a high-lofted club in my bag.