2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Any Love for National Custom?

No offense taken at all guys. To each their own.

I wanted a Rossie II with a plumber neck, which is exactly what I received.  The site dot on the top and the Damascus were small additional tweaks to make it mine.

I opted for the raw finish, I can always smooth it out if desired.  But as of now, I like it as it is.

As for the thickness of the top line, I'm not sure.  I haven't measured.

• Like 2

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x

The raw 3DP look has grown on me over the past few years. Some really good looking putters in this thread. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

4 hours ago, Don Miguel said:

No offense taken at all guys. To each their own.

I wanted a Rossie II with a plumber neck, which is exactly what I received.  The site dot on the top and the Damascus were small additional tweaks to make it mine.

I opted for the raw finish, I can always smooth it out if desired.  But as of now, I like it as it is.

As for the thickness of the top line, I'm not sure.  I haven't measured.

They definitely can make whatever anyone dreams and I like you went with that shaft over hosel plumber neck, it's so much cleaner to look at.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Season 3 Kids GIF by The Simpsons
This company has really piqued my interest, so I’m going to give this one an extended chance this year to see if I notice any significant improvement with the MOI boost over my other similar “regular” milled putters. I’ll report back after I can compile more real-life data. Hoping this one below is a Martin and not a Nelson…

0367FB12-016F-42D9-98F8-06C7779FBEFC.jpeg

863B7279-9602-42D1-997C-D3F520778C15.jpeg

9D885071-45FA-4988-8E7B-026AB4B66D73.jpeg

498865DA-7A61-4DF2-860D-8F3E8A7D38EE.jpeg

• Like 3

7/1/22 Update - first round with the Morris: 31 total putts; six 1-putts and one 3-putt. I missed a 2-foot putt for par with a total brain fart push…so frustrating. Four of the 1-putts were between 6 and 10 feet out to save par or bogey. The other two were 4-foot birdies. Six 1-putts is pretty good for me (I know…not good for the other superstar professional plus handicap wrx’ers…😉). The 3-putt was a very long uphill putt that I came up 8 feet short and missed the uphill putt one cup right because it broke at the end. All-in-all…one round in with this Morris and I find the MOI boost may be significantly helping with putts in the 5-10 ft range. I’m not so sure about the longer putts, but I may need to get the hang of it a bit more to figure out the distance putts. I will say that 3 of my longer putts ended pretty close to the hole, so there is definitely potential. I’ll keep at it and report back on this thread as I go along. 

627861B2-16E1-471A-8436-C12A8636A21E.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jonradus said:

Here are my NCW cover options. 

73BD2F57-D4DF-4D25-B3F8-0492AEB8F4EB.jpeg

1D94A37A-51A6-482F-BF80-D9D27AAE7AA8.jpeg

E1A3C46F-E876-4F55-8681-6FA91EBECB9C.jpeg

448E0F9C-C6CE-4284-812F-F446693207AE.jpeg

Is that art deco one a synthetic material? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

7/10/22 Update - second round with the Morris: 33 total putts; three 1-putts and no 3-putts. The greens were really furry today because they have to keep them long because it hasn’t rained for a while, but they put the pins in the hardest spots on a bunch of the holes…like right on ridges and way back on many of the holes. So the greens rolled pretty well, but were slow uphill and weirdly fast downhill considering how furry they were. It was also pretty hard to get in close. So, no 3-putts today was actually really good for the conditions. The guy I play with, who is just lights out with his irons, had difficulty getting in close to the pins today too, so that’s my gauge to know it was legitimately hard. If he’s not close to holes, then no one is…ahem…except for all the WRX golf superstar plus handicap golfers out there 😉. My lag putting is now fine-tuned with this Morris. I have a white Big Dog Pure grip on this beast to counterbalance the 370 gram head weight and it is money. I have a lot of confidence with short putts and really good control over the speed on longer putts. Oh, and I used the “force” today to shoot a 38 on the back nine. Disregard the 44 on the front nine. That nine doesn’t count. Of course. 

56B239B1-8647-4A90-BA05-4CEC1B887694.jpeg

• Like 3

7/17/22 Update - Third round with the Morris: 29 total putts; seven 1-putts and no 3-putts. I know, 29 putts sucks for the rest of you superstar WRX plus handicappers 😉 but it’s really good for the amateur mid-handicap weekend warrior aka myself. I played Donald Ross’ Edgewood Country Club course, which is really hard for me and has ultra fast greens. I play there as a guest like 5 times a year and only cracked into the 70s once. There’s tons of trouble, really difficult greens, a bunch of crazy two-tiered greens, very thick and squirrelly rough, and insane false fronts on many of the holes. For example, the last two times I played Edgewood I hit the No. 5 Par 3 green 5 feet directly below the front-located pin (Yes, I checked my ball mark location both times for all you haters out there) and “just” sucked the ball back down the false front and had to putt 60 feet back up the false front. It’s super frustrating to see your ball disappear on the table top, think you’ll have a birdie putt, then look up and see your ball roll down off the green 60+ feet. I kind of stunk today, but ended with an 84: 44/40. The “reasonable” score can partially be attributed to decent chipping, but mainly the Morris putter. I drained a lot of really tough 8-ft bender putts. My longer putts were also absolutely amazing and I putted a lot from way off the greens (up those pesky false fronts). I was getting inside 10 feet from every long putt and giving myself chances. Inside of 10 feet, I only missed one putt that I should have made and made at least 5 putts I shouldn’t have made. You can hit this putter anywhere on the face and it just rolls out to the expected distance; there’s like no loss of distance on mishits. The MOI boost and forgiveness seems to be for real.

When I’m rolling along nicely with a putter, it normally disappoints when I play Edgewood…and then I swap out to something else. Not this time…at least not yet…want to see what a crappy mid-handicap golfers bag looks like?

F31DE1C6-3DCC-46C5-90E7-E2B0CA71B932.jpeg

Edited by jonradus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jonradus said:

7/17/22 Update - Third round with the Morris: 29 total putts; seven 1-putts and no 3-putts. I know, 29 putts sucks for the rest of you superstar WRX plus handicappers 😉 but it’s really good for the amateur mid-handicap weekend warrior aka myself. I played Donald Ross’ Edgewood Country Club course, which is really hard for me and has ultra fast greens. I play there as a guest like 5 times a year and only cracked into the 70s once. There’s tons of trouble, really difficult greens, a bunch of crazy two-tiered greens, very thick and squirrelly rough, and insane false fronts on many of the holes. For example, the last two times I played Edgewood I hit the No. 5 Par 3 green 5 feet directly below the front-located pin (Yes, I checked my ball mark location both times for all you haters out there) and “just” sucked the ball back down the false front and had to putt 60 feet back up the false front. It’s super frustrating to see your ball disappear on the table top, think you’ll have a birdie putt, then look up and see your ball roll down off the green 60+ feet. I kind of stunk today, but ended with an 84: 44/40. The “reasonable” score can partially be attributed to decent chipping, but mainly the Morris putter. I drained a lot of really tough 8-ft bender putts. My longer putts were also absolutely amazing and I putted a lot from way off the greens (up those pesky false fronts). I was getting inside 10 feet from every long putt and giving myself chances. Inside of 10 feet, I only missed one putt that I should have made and made at least 5 putts I shouldn’t have made. You can hit this putter anywhere on the face and it just rolls out to the expected distance; there’s like no loss of distance on mishits. The MOI boost and forgiveness seems to be for real.

When I’m rolling along nicely with a putter, it normally disappoints when I play Edgewood…and then I swap out to something else. Not this time…at least not yet…want to see what a crappy mid-handicap golfers bag looks like?

F31DE1C6-3DCC-46C5-90E7-E2B0CA71B932.jpeg

So gamer for the year then?

Lefty - WITB Thread

7/23/22 Update - 4th round with the Morris: 33 total putts; five 1-putts and two 3-putts. Back to the baked-out public course with furry greens, poorly cut holes, and impossible pin locations (they were all right up front or way in the back….nothing in the middle). If you missed the super small greens at all today, a puff of smoke would explode and the ball would trampoline off the surrounding dusty/dry banks and end at least 15+ yards from the hole. Oh man did I stink today with the putter. I felt like I missed the sweet spot on 75% of my putts, and aimed incorrectly on 50% half my putts. The aim problem today was an issue for sure, but when I aimed correctly it didn’t seem to matter if I missed the sweet spot. The ball still rolls out the correct distance. One of the one-putts was a 10-footer for birdie, and the other four were all 6- to 10-footers to save par. The rest of my holed-out putts were all tap-ins…so that’s a good thing. Needless to say, staying in the 80s (44/41) was mainly because of the putter even though I had 33 putts….and my 4 iron was also a straight-bombing monster today. That thing has totally replaced my hybrid and 3 wood, and is one more crappy driver shot away from replacing my driver. 😂 

At this point, I’m not sure why I even own any other putters because they’re probably not going to make the bag because I know they’re not as forgiving as the Morris. I suppose I’ll hang onto them for indoor practice purposes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonradus said:

7/23/22 Update - 4th round with the Morris: 33 total putts; five 1-putts and two 3-putts. Back to the baked-out public course with furry greens, poorly cut holes, and impossible pin locations (they were all right up front or way in the back….nothing in the middle). If you missed the super small greens at all today, a puff of smoke would explode and the ball would trampoline off the surrounding dusty/dry banks and end at least 15+ yards from the hole. Oh man did I stink today with the putter. I felt like I missed the sweet spot on 75% of my putts, and aimed incorrectly on 50% half my putts. The aim problem today was an issue for sure, but when I aimed correctly it didn’t seem to matter if I missed the sweet spot. The ball still rolls out the correct distance. One of the one-putts was a 10-footer for birdie, and the other four were all 6- to 10-footers to save par. The rest of my holed-out putts were all tap-ins…so that’s a good thing. Needless to say, staying in the 80s (44/41) was mainly because of the putter even though I had 33 putts….and my 4 iron was also a straight-bombing monster today. That thing has totally replaced my hybrid and 3 wood, and is one more crappy driver shot away from replacing my driver. 😂 

At this point, I’m not sure why I even own any other putters because they’re probably not going to make the bag because I know they’re not as forgiving as the Morris. I suppose I’ll hang onto them for indoor practice purposes. 

Sell the others and buy another NCW only logical thought. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

17 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Sell the others and buy another NCW only logical thought. 

Hahaha…I’m a huge fan of how your brain thinks. I’m always selling for my next project or purchase. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

4 minutes ago, mogc60 said:

Hahaha…I’m a huge fan of how your brain thinks. I’m always selling for my next project or purchase. 

Best way to do it, I always keep putters laying around to fund the next project(s) when I feel like it.

Lefty - WITB Thread

7/24/22 Update - 5th round with the Morris: 30 total putts; six 1-putts and no 3-putts. 42/42 for a smooth 84, which was pretty good because I ran into trouble and doubled 3 of the holes. I played the public course with furry greens again, but it rained last night and a little bit during the round so the greens were pretty slow. I missed one 4-foot putt that I should have made. Other than that, my putting was exceptional. I drained a 30-ft birdie putt on a difficult Par 5. I also drained a couple other 10-ft putts. My lag putting was exceptional. I have no idea if it’s the putter, the setup, me, or what…but this putter is staying in the bag. This’ll be my last post because I’m like a broken record at this point, but the last 5 rounds I averaged 31.2 putts per round and the “pre-NCW” 15 rounds before it I averaged 32.7 putts per round. Switching power to “off” on this thread. 
image.jpeg.4ede510dd02f076e224e81cd26d9abfb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this will be it for me on this thread. I almost switched putters today but decided to keep going with the NCW. 27 putts today; nine 1-putts and nine 2-putts. Six of those 1-putts were 7+ feet out. I easily could have 1-putted three more holes, but came up one ball rotation short on all 3 of them. This NCW putter, the Cleveland Launcher XL Catalyst 6.0 irons, and the Taylormade SIM2 3 rescue are the three best golf purchases I’ve ever made. 

9E008EE7-6C59-4D94-89B5-ADA94DFBACB1.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jonradus said:

Sorry this will be it for me on this thread. I almost switched putters today but decided to keep going with the NCW. 27 putts today; nine 1-putts and nine 2-putts. Six of those 1-putts were 7+ feet out. I easily could have 1-putted three more holes, but came up one ball rotation short on all 3 of them. This NCW putter, the Cleveland Launcher XL Catalyst 6.0 irons, and the Taylormade SIM2 3 rescue are the three best golf purchases I’ve ever made. 

9E008EE7-6C59-4D94-89B5-ADA94DFBACB1.jpeg

My peer pressure paid off again 😂

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, EVandy said:

Any recent acquisitions? I’m on the fence right now.

I've been curious about their 1 piece heads lately and prices are supposed to come down with those. I like the one I have but variety is nice. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, EVandy said:

Never rolled one but seems like they are all so forgiving regardless of head shape

They are definitely more forgiving than a lot of similar head shapes with how they weight the putter and thus quite stable too especially if you add a shaft to one. 

For the feel at least the insert ones are on the firmer side with a bit of a "springy" feel almost off the face but it's consistent and easy to adapt to different green speeds. The one piece I'm not sure but Al said they're a bit more relatable to a milled putter. But to me my NCW feels like my TP Mills Trad II. 

I would probably suggest to grab a used one first if the price is right to try out if you're really picky about feel. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

21 hours ago, MattM97 said:

They are definitely more forgiving than a lot of similar head shapes with how they weight the putter and thus quite stable too especially if you add a shaft to one. 

For the feel at least the insert ones are on the firmer side with a bit of a "springy" feel almost off the face but it's consistent and easy to adapt to different green speeds. The one piece I'm not sure but Al said they're a bit more relatable to a milled putter. But to me my NCW feels like my TP Mills Trad II. 

I would probably suggest to grab a used one first if the price is right to try out if you're really picky about feel. 

Thanks for the feedback Matt!

• Like 1