What is “ready golf”?

Ready golf is just that. Whoever is ready to tee off, by all means go hit, regardless of "honor" or circumstance. Also, when in the fairway or whatnot, if you're all within an equal distance to the hole and out of each others way, no need to sit back and watch your partners' shots one after another; here as many will go at one time as conditions/path of flight allow. Go to your ball immediately so long as your lateral to you playing partners' ball/s and go hit. With this in mind, one should never advance a crazy distance in front of any ball left to be played/advanced.

On the green, of course, it's a little more one-at-a-time sort of procedure, but again, furthest from the hole isn't necessarily the one that goes first. Closest mark their balls as needed and the longer putts go as ready/able to go, regardless of who's out. This green procedure would only be an issue in money games or something where all parties involved are playing a game of sorts.

Edited by A.Princey
  • Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

17 hours ago, Augster said:

Really?

“For me, it doesn't mean hitting out of turn.“ Blkngld page 1

players mostly just play when they are ready and there is a relatively normal "flow" to the round. Meaning you wait until people are at their ball, ” and “...in my group we usually only enforce honors after a birdie”. MTLJeff

But it does not mean swing as often as you can until blocked. You should still be taking it 'in turns' with the other players.” andrue 

“We don't play much ready golf” 2bGood

I’ll accept your apology any time you are ready. Crow isn’t turkey, but people eat it way more often. 

I asked you to name ONE,,,,,,,, and you "named" FOUR !!! :classic_laugh:

Except that you ignored my question. "So if you don't mind, please point me to another post that suggests the poster is, or wants to play, slowly. i.e. NOT "ready golf"."

Let's see now. The thread is titled "What is ready golf ?"

Blkngld, answering the thread title, said "I think it means be ready to hit as soon as it's your turn.   Be at your ball, know what shot you want to hit and what club you want to hit.   Start your routine or hitting the shot as soon as the person ahead of you is done.

For me, it doesn't mean hitting out of turn.   If the person who should be away is ready, they get dibs as long as they're ready.  If they're not then whoever is next up goes.

i.e. NOWHERE did he suggest he plays, or WANTS to play slowly"

MtlJeff said "That being said, i am a big fan of what is more commonly called ready golf, which to me means players mostly just play when they are ready and there is a relatively normal "flow" to the round. Meaning you wait until people are at their ball, but if you are ready to go and someone else is still scoping their distance or looking for their glove or something , you just say "i'll hit" and everyone is cool with that".

Andrue started his post with his definition "For me it means don't worry about who has the honours. But it does not mean swing as often as you can until blocked." Now, I confess I don't know what blocked means but he described it as well. I guess I'm not sure if he's suggesting he WANTS to play slowly though or not. :classic_tongue:

2BGood (also) said MORE THAN "We don't play much ready golf." He also said "Our course typically plays in around 3:45 with everyone walking, our group would plays faster than most so there is no need or benefit to do things to play faster as we can only play as fast as the group ahead." So, he is not suggesting he "is, or wants to play" slowly - they're always keeping up.

So which of those people are "part of the problem" again ? :classic_smile:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 12:26 PM, Warrior42111 said:

I think every group has their on version of ready golf, it's pretty evident browsing through this topic, usually with new to the group players it will sort itself out by the first couple holes anyways...

Usually, but not always.

1st hole yesterday at a new course with a friend, a regular and another single. 2 are on/over green, Regular is away, just in right rough 30 yards short of green, I'm buried in face of left bunker 40 feet from pin. He's standing near his ball taking in the views or fresh air and I ask him if he's found his ball. "Yes...we play ready golf." he replies. I going to have one foot in, one foot out and am not ready to play...eventually, he goes, then I go.

After our drives on 5, my friend is in fairway and away, but taking a picture. Regular is a yard or two ahead just in left rough. I'm 30 yards in front, almost directly on both their lines to the green. We've started to fall a bit behind. Unsolicited, Regular again says "we play ready golf" then waits for my friend to play before playing.

#9, I'm all over the place and eventually hit a blind shot towards the right half of the green. Regular and I are both walking to the only visible ball off the right side of the green. He IDs the ball as his. I walk towards the back of green and see a ball just off, get there, ID it and look back to him to see if he has played or is about to do so. We are ~equal distances to the hole and he points to me so I play first.

I don't think he he played before his turn once, except to hole a few short putts and was NOT ready several times when it was his turn.

Still not 100% sure, but I think his statement "we play ready golf" meant, I'm not ready or in a rush,  but someone else can go if they want???

6 hours ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

Still not 100% sure, but I think his statement "we play ready golf" meant, I'm not ready or in a rush,  but someone else can go if they want???

The handful of self-proclaimed ready golfers I've played with have been like that. For them it's simply an excuse to not be ready when it would be their turn, or even after everyone else has already teed off. I don't know how they manage to lose something in their bag and pockets on every single hole. 🙂

Luckily enough the vast majority of people I play with understand it the way it should be, be ready when it's your turn to play and deviate from honours and furthest out when it makes sense.

• Like 4

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

6 hours ago, Halebopp said:

The handful of self-proclaimed ready golfers I've played with have been like that. For them it's simply an excuse to not be ready when it would be their turn, or even after everyone else has already teed off. I don't know how they manage to lose something in their bag and pockets on every single hole. 🙂

Luckily enough the vast majority of people I play with understand it the way it should be, be ready when it's your turn to play and deviate from honours and furthest out when it makes sense.

100% agree.

I'd also like to add that I see some people waste a lot of time on the greens.  There's a couple guys I occasionally golf with that I avoid like the plague because of this.  I really need to get on their case and tell them that their ball should be back on the green, aligned and have their putting line figured out BEFORE it's their turn.  Of course the exception is if their ball is near someone else's line.

11 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'd also like to add that I see some people waste a lot of time on the greens.  There's a couple guys I occasionally golf with that I avoid like the plague because of this.  I really need to get on their case and tell them that their ball should be back on the green, aligned and have their putting line figured out BEFORE it's their turn.  Of course the exception is if their ball is near someone else's line.

In my experience people have a tendency to 'overrespect' the other players preparing for a putt so they are afraid to do anything when another player is looking for the line of putt or lining up their ball. Ready golf (and smooth golf in general) means that you do everything you can UNTIL the other player takes his stance and prepares for the actual stroke at which time everyone stops and shuts up. This seems to be the hardest thing to change.

Another thing that I have ran into is 'why do we need to play quickly as we need to wait the group in front anyway'. That is true when it is true but if people do not get accustomed to how to play quickly they will never be able to do it when needed. Another thing hard to get through.

• Like 1

I have a regular game with some gentlemen older than me, and sometimes I end up playing the same tee box as them if they have three players going from the white tees, because it speeds up the process.  However, this generally means I'm quite a bit in front of them (hopefully :)) after our tee shots.  So to assist the process, I'm generally helping them look for balls, but also once its safe for me to proceed, I'll drive up to my ball and get prepared.  Once I have my yardage/club/shot figured out, I'm pretty quick to hit the ball, so often times I'll go ahead and hit while one of them are getting prepared.

To me, this is ready golf.  I have an opportunity to play my ball without impacting anyone else's routine, so I go ahead and do it.  

• 4 weeks later...

Every form of ready golf has been described.  

What some ready golfers do, which is bad etiquette is: 
- Hit while someone else is already in their routine.  
- Walk/ride ahead after hitting, forcing others to have to wait for them to get 
  out of the way, listen to their cart or have to look at them standing by the green.        

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArtMBgolf said:

out of the way, listen to their cart or have to look at them standing by the green.        

Agree.  Etiquette and respect for others are still important features of the game.

9 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Or it's a passive aggressive way of telling someone they are playing too slow 🙂

• Like 2