2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier Putters! See What Members Are Saying!

knudson81

I went ahead and played a couple more rounds with it and it is now in hibernation.  Just can not get the distance down.  Darn, I really like the looks of this putter. 

20200922_103651.jpg

20200922_103704.jpg

20200922_103711.jpg

Edited by crazygolfnut

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

20 hours ago, crazygolfnut said:

I went ahead and played a couple more rounds with it and it is now in hibernation.  Just can not get the distance down.  Darn, I really like the looks of this putter. 

20200922_103651.jpg

20200922_103704.jpg

20200922_103711.jpg

I have an original Huntington Beach 8 that I had the same issue with.  When I pick it up it feels great, but with that heavy head (370 grams) I have just never been able to get my distances dialed in.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, jasman29 said:

So I played 2 rounds this weekend with the 11s putter and here are my first on course review, I was able to change the grip to a SuperStroke 2.0 Mid Slim as this is the grip i feel most comfortable with in all my putters.

1) Looks:    This is a very good looking putter to me. I love the shape and size of the head. It is as long as my Scotty squareback 1.5 and the width of the blade portion is about the same size with the obvious wings at the back of the putter. The color of the putter is so subdued and makes the head feel a little more compact because the dark coloring makes the head look smaller. For me, it makes the transition to this putter so much easier and I am easily focused on the ball and not the putter throughout the stroke.

2) Feel: I love love love the feel of this putter. The milling on the face of the putter produces a very soft feel when stroking the putt. I tried with the 2 different types of balls I play (Prov1 and TP5X) and both balls felt very very similar. There is a slight difference in the the cover of  each balls in terms of how it sounds off the putter face, particularly with my Scotty, they feel pretty much the same off this putter with its milling. Lag putting was pretty easy with this putter. I love the weight of the putter, with the head being 370grams it is the same weight I play my scotty. 

3) Sound:  I think the sound of this putter is the most consistent when playing different golf balls. IMO it has a much more muted sound more comparable to the Scotty GoLo i played for years. I believe the milling plays a huge roles in this. It is a much more muted sound to my ear, which I like so much because it allows me to focus more on the stroke and feel of the putt instead of a pingy sound that kinda causes a lack of release of the putter head. 

4)Alignment: The putter sets up very square and easy to align. I use a line on my ball and then align that with the milling line on the head of the putter and this putter just sets up very nicely when pairing those two together. I had no issues on short putts and especially on long putts. 

5) Performance/Forgiveness: This putter definitely gets the ball rolling quickly and I did make my fair share of mid range putts this weekend. i didn't 3 putt all weekend which was a testament to how easy this was to put into play for me and the confidence I had with it. 

I really liked this putter and will continue to put its through its paces over the next few weeks. We have our club championship at the end of October and the way I putted with it this weekend, it could remain in the bag for this event if I am still seeing the same results as this past weekend. I have tried other models to kick out my Scotty and never with any luck, granted Im not talking about tons of different putters but my eye and ears only like a certain type of putter. I guess with how I putted over this first weekend the best compliment was given by my regular playing partners telling me " man you can putt with anything" Now we all know this is not true but I do feel I am a very good and consistent putter but there are factors that need to be in place to putt well and this putter meets those needs. I will come back with more review after the honeymoon period is over and report if I am still seeing the same results. 

thanks and let me know if you have any quetions.

IMG_5369.HEIC 5.38 MB · 13 downloads

Weekend update from Vegas!! Vegas baby vegas!!!!

I continue to see the same results on the road that I have seen at my local courses. The 2 different course I played had very different green speeds but the ability to adjust easily was a testament to the look and feel of the putter.

We played TPC Las Vegas (Very Fast Greens) for reference and Legacy Golf Club (Slower Grainy greens)

This putter is very easy for me to adjust to the different greens speeds and throughout the entire weekend I had only 1 3 putt. 

Lag putting at both courses was not a problem on putts greater than 30 feet and short range putts 15 ft and in are very easy to line up. I think that is one the areas that sticks out in my mind with this particular putter, the way the face squares up makes it so easy to line up the putter. 

This putter for the price point especially is worth a run, put your favorite grip on it ( I put a SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0) and you will be surprised at the results. Still love the color way with this compared to the silver putter out there. 

Thanks GolfWRX for this opportunity to test and put it through its paces. Will be in the bag for my upcoming CC at my home course.  

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

I got in a quick 9 on Monday - it was chilly - about 36* but otherwise great.  The greens have healed pretty well after the fall aeration, so I could continue to get a real picture of how I feel about the putter.  I had the course to myself so I was able to hit putts from all over the greens - testing the Cleveland side by side against my Studio Stainless Newport 2.  The main thing that I continue to notice is how much lighter the Cleveland feels.  I think, now that I've hit it a number of times in its 'stock' configuration, I'm definitely going to put a new, smaller grip on, and add some lead tape to the sole of the putter.  

As far as performance, I still love the soft feel of this putter without having to have a non-metal insert.  It preserves the solid sound at impact, which is very important to my feel while putting.  I think that is the #1 selling point for me on this putter.  Other than that, I think its hard to pack a lot of tech into a blade style putter, without adding all sorts of weights, inserts, etc. and that is totally OK with me.  I love traditional looking and performing equipment, so Cleveland has a winner with this putter in my book.

Titleist TSI3 10.0* 
Titleist TSI1 15* 

Titleist TS2 18*
Titleist T100S Black 4-PM
Vokey SM8 48F

Vokey SM8 54F
Vokey SM9 60T
Ping Anser 2D

• 2 months later...

Not a tester, but I spent about an hour and a half at Roger Dunn SA the other day and ended up taking the Soft Premier 8 home with me. 
Its a straight back stroke type. I always thought I was a slight arch type. I have the Ping cradle and it showed me slight arch when I tested on one of my slant neck putters. So I did the same test the other day with this Cleveland putter and it showed me as a straight!???
It has the thicker pistol grip which I really liked. I’ve had the Lamkin thin pistol on my last two putters and I found this thicker grip more comfortable. 

Soft feel, good looking over the ball, and solid distance control. Really liking this. And the cover is also nice.  
But it’s raining in So Cal for the next week so it will be awhile before I get out again. 

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

• 4 weeks later...

In over 20 years playing golf, I've always used putters with inserts. After reading these reviews and comparing prices of milled face putters, I just pulled the trigger on #11 HB soft premier. Anxious to see how it performs, especially with distance control. Great job to all the reviewers for honest feedback. 

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

• 4 weeks later...

Any more long term reviews on this putter?

I am split between Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5c vs Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

To be honest, mine (10.5C) is gathering dust now. I really like everything about the putter except the head size. It's a little smaller than what I'm used to (Betti BB54), so it was always in the back of my mind that I had less room for error with miss hits than the BB54.

If you have steady hands, this putter would be a stellar option. 

Mine is currently in the rotation, especially since my Golo is getting refinished. 

I had to add some lead tape to get the weight up on it, it is money on short putts. Love how square it sets up. 

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)