2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

JPX 921 Line

Joe Smoeter

I've watched most of the videos online for the JPX921 line. TXG, Shiels, etc etc... In nearly every video the tour is considered no so great, the forged is nice and the HMP gets tons of wow comments. Then after the video they all seem to lean towards the forged even though the HMP beat it consistently. Why no love when the P790 gets tons of love and they are very similar? Thoughts?

GolfWRX SIM 10.5

3-PW Ping S55 Moderators

35 inch LAB 2.1 68 degree lie Suck

I went in wanting to try the 921T's. I was wanting some new irons, and already had the 919T's.  I didn't really get any better numbers from the new ones, so I started trying other clubs.  Ended up going with the Titleist T100S. 

My buddy, and brother who are both about 10-15 handicap's tried the 921 HMP, and fell in love with them.  They were hitting 19 Callaway Apex, and the other one was the older AP1's.  They both ended up buying the set of 5-G in the HMP, and they're hitting them well.  I tried them, and they did feel good. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yellolab said:

I find it interesting that everyone dings the P790 for having such strong lofts, OMG they are unplayable, etc etc !!!!

P790's get panned because of their feel, low spin, the occasional shot that goes 20% longer for no apparent reason, and they simply go too far for higher swing speed players. 

• Thanks 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

24 minutes ago, bombs said:

I would never base my opinion of any golf club on an internet review given how many under the table paid arrangements are in place. Go into a fitting with zero bias and let the data determine what you play. Different players, different swings etc.

My recent fitting experince completely changed my perspective on golf clubs, in particular how I think about "forgiveness". To me the definition of forgiveness should be consistency and predictability of outcome, measured by launch, carry and spin. Instead many people seem to focus solely on what happens to their worst shots.

I went to my fitting having watched all the videos you mentioned thinking the 921 Forged would be the pick of the 921 range for me. Looks were good, as was feel, and I felt based on all I had read I needed a "forgiving" club to "help" me hit consistely good golf shots.  However I found the 921 Forged to be anything but consistent. The carry difference between perfect and slightly off centred strikes was large. Over a larger sample the 921 Forged may have offered some additional help on really bad strikes, but I expected the difference between decent and perfect strikes to be much less than what I saw. On the course this would be the difference between being pin high and missing greens long. No thankyou.

My pro was keen to see me hit the 921 Tour. I had reservations that this club would not offer me the forgiveness I felt I needed, but to be honest the clubs at address look very similar in overall length which inspired confidence. For a players club they are quite long which I like a lot as I would not be confident looking down at a 4 iron MP-20 blade. The results spoke for themselves. Feel was amazing, so much more solid than any thin faced club could produce. But most importantly dispersion was spot on - launch, spin and carry identical, shot after shot. My dispersion ring was 1/4 the size of what I produced with the 921 Forged, and these are clubs that would unquestionably help my scoring on the course. My worst shots may be slightly more punished, but the 8/10 I hit well are going to have a much more predictable outcome. 

My suggestion is to go and get fitted and buy the clubs that give you the most predictable and consistent shot outcome.  I thought that would be the 921 Forged, but to my surprise the 921 Tours were significantly more consistent. 

I found the same with the forged and HMPs. I’m not sure I hit middle enough to play the tours. They certainly let me know when I didn’t hit middle. Although the dispersion was better with the tour. 

• Thanks 1

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

5 minutes ago, jpbova said:

I found the same with the forged and HMPs. I’m not sure I hit middle enough to play the tours. They certainly let me know when I didn’t hit middle. Although the dispersion was better with the tour. 

I found both the Forged and Tour to provide similar feedback in the hands for off centred strikes - none of that harsh feel whatsoever. Perhaps a shaft thing..?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bombs said:

I found both the Forged and Tour to provide similar feedback in the hands for off centred strikes - none of that harsh feel whatsoever. Perhaps a shaft thing..?

$-taper in them both. Felt like the sweet spot was larger in the forged by quite a bit. Either that or I hit it more often. Tour reminded me why I don’t play blades. Not that it is a blade but the strike has to be too precise for my swing. 

but I agree on the feedback. I’m not sure the forged were as harsh as the tour. But it wasn’t by much. harsh to me is anything not struck in the middle, and the club should let you know that it wasn’t struck well

Edited by jpbova
  • Like 1

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

I think many of the reviews were not wowing about the tours as they are only marginally changed from 919T. Which is for a reason as JPX Tour has been Mizunos hottest irons for non-contract players in the last 2 decades or so😉😉

Forged, HM and HMP seem to have evolved a LOT more so the raving is more about the change from the previous version I guess. Cant wait to hit those irons

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

19 hours ago, Chubbydog said:

I went in wanting to try the 921T's. I was wanting some new irons, and already had the 919T's.  I didn't really get any better numbers from the new ones, so I started trying other clubs.  Ended up going with the Titleist T100S. 

My buddy, and brother who are both about 10-15 handicap's tried the 921 HMP, and fell in love with them.  They were hitting 19 Callaway Apex, and the other one was the older AP1's.  They both ended up buying the set of 5-G in the HMP, and they're hitting them well.  I tried them, and they did feel good. 

Haha..... I currently have the Apex 19s and and going to the HMPs too

I think for a lot of the reviewers it's hard to really make a review / be impressed with the 921T or any bladed iron from a performance perspective. At the end of the day, they almost always say, the irons performs as expected, which is what they are supposed to do. 

With regard to the forged vs the HMP, I think the "wow" comes from all the tech and that Mizuno does a great job of making them still feel good for such a game improvement iron. They come back to the forged because for a lot of them, it's the middle ground, a more compact head and still giving some help when needed, kind of a total package for someone looking at the 921 range. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9*| Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*| Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX
Mizuno 245 5-PW  | Project X LS 6.5
Titleist SM9 46 - 50 - 54 - 58 | PX Rifle 6.0
Odyssey Ai-One Seven CH 

15 hours ago, Dawgdude said:

Do the forged beat the HMP in performance (spin and accuracy?). Distance isn't a performance issue; I could care less whether my 7-iron goes 175-180 (MMC MP20) or 190-195 (HMP).  I do care that it is accurate and stops on a dime.  

From the videos I have seen both spin and peak height are similar so stopping power should be similar, and accuracy appears to go to HMP due to the forgiveness,  I'm not selling HMP here, I'm just really curious because it seems to be a perfect blend of distance, forgiveness and accuracy. 

GolfWRX SIM 10.5

3-PW Ping S55 Moderators

35 inch LAB 2.1 68 degree lie Suck

20 hours ago, Dawgdude said:

Do the forged beat the HMP in performance (spin and accuracy?). Distance isn't a performance issue; I could care less whether my 7-iron goes 175-180 (MMC MP20) or 190-195 (HMP).  I do care that it is accurate and stops on a dime.  

The only way you will know is by hitting them. Bombs above had better results with the Tours after going in expecting the forged to work better.

Every time I have gone into a fitting with a preconceived notion of what would “win”, I have ended up being fitted into something (often considerably) different. The exception is the 921F with the Steelfiber i110. I expected that combination, the Mizuno optimiser suggested that and it would have been a total waste of time trying anything else afterwards (I was eyeing the P770's).

They suited my eye, felt lovely and most importantly I was hitting almost identical shots one after the other. The output was remarkably consistent and I’m sure the input was very variable. My one miss was a horrid toe hit that flew the distance about 15 yards left. So super accurate and consistent FOR ME. For you it could be the HMP, tours, a different Mizuno iron or an iron from a different manufacturer.

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 1

When people comment on spin for a particular iron I always wonder if the ball they tested with was their gamer ball or just the range rock most places put in their hitting bays. I keep a couple of my gamer balls in my vehicle for when I test clubs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

When people comment on spin for a particular iron I always wonder if the ball they tested with was their gamer ball or just the range rock most places put in their hitting bays. I keep a couple of my gamer balls in my vehicle for when I test clubs. 

I always bring my gamer ball to a fitting so I can compare feel using a ball I am familar with. 

Launch monitors are capable of normalising range ball data but I assume it's not perfect.

3 hours ago, RxGolf1 said:

The 921 Forged irons spun pretty low for me in comparison to last year's 919's. Maybe it's the stronger lofts. 

If you like the clubs but find they spin low consider a different ball that gives you the performance you are looking for.

Too often fittings do not consider what role the ball plays in the result. 

Edited by bombs

1 hour ago, bombs said:

If you like the clubs but find they spin low consider a different ball that gives you the performance you are looking for.

Too often fittings do not consider what role the ball plays in the result. 

That is sad but absolutely true. Around here, they always use super soft balls (DUO) for fittings so people buy into the feel of the clubs. Most important things about fitting: Use the ball you normally use, wear YOUR glove, wear your golf shoes, dont buy irons (or any other club with a decent amount of turf contact) without hitting them off grass.

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1